Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Imaduck
Apr 16, 2007

the magnetorotational instability turns me on
Live: $0.50/$1. 6 Players. Hero and Villain have ~150BB. Others have ~75-100BB.

Hero is in SB w/ Ks8c.

UTG Calls, MP Folds, CO Calls, BTN (Villain) Calls, SB (Hero) calls, BB checks.

Flop: 5 Players - 5BB
TsJsQc

4 checks,Villain bets 4BB, Hero Calls, 3 folds

Turn: (13 BB) 9s

Hero Checks, Villain Bets 15 BB, Hero raises 40 BB, Villain raises and is all-in
(Pot is 198, 90 to call)

Villain is a competent, loose player who only bets aggressively when he has a made hand or a strong drawing hand. I've played with him for a bit and he knows I'm capable of making strong plays with draws, although I've played mostly tight and cautiously. Villain would have raised AK or JJ+ if he had it preflop. In my head it seems like there's enough draws, worse straights, and lower flushes that I can outdraw to give me enough equity to call, right?

Obviously this is a bad beat story: I call, opponent has 7s8s for the straight flush.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Imaduck
Apr 16, 2007

Yeah, I could have flatted, but I felt like I had decent equity against his shoving range and could get value from a lot of worse straights and potentially trips or two pair, and punish As drawing hands. If his shoving range is KTs-K2s,KJo-K2o,*s*s,As**, I have 59.51% equity to his 40.49%. My logic might be off, however, so please let me know if you think this is reasonable.

Imaduck
Apr 16, 2007

I feel like I do fine online playing small stakes 6max games, but I always feel a bit out of place at 10 man 1-2 live tables.

To illustrate, I'll walk you through a hand of mine:
10 handed. Table is mostly older businessmen who play lots of home games, but probably haven't ever read a book on poker and rarely bluff.

I'm HJ+1. UTG and 3 others call. I have ATo:
- Given how the table's played, I know that the players before me are calling with just about anything. If I raise, I know I'll just get a few calls behind, and a bunch of calls ahead, even if I make it something like 12x. I'll be playing a big, multiway pot, probably with a caller with better position on me, and basically have no additional information.
- If I call, I'll get a few callers behind, but really have no idea where I'm at.
- Folding seems pretty nitty; I likely have the best hand, can easily have folks dominated. It seems like if I fold hands like this here, I'm pretty much playing nothing but super-premium and maybe speculating on suited connectors.

I call and get a couple more callers behind. Flop comes AJ2 rainbow. UTG bets 1/2 pot. It folds to me, and I call, 1 caller behind.

Turn comes a 6, no flush draw. UTG bets 1/2 pot again. I call, other guy folds.

River comes 8. Board is super dry. My opponent bets 1/2 pot a third time. Watching how he's played, I know he would have raised AJ+ preflop, and probably would have bet more if he had hit trips. So basically I have to worry about a random two-pair, but I suppose he could just as easily do this with a worse ace. I call, and he shows J2o...

And I feel like this pretty much describes my entire trip. No matter what I do, I get a ton of callers, and get shut down by random 2 pairs or backdoor straight draws that never fold. I had KK 3 times, raised 10x, and would get 6 callers to an ace-high board where I'm blown out by the guy who kept A3o for no particular reason.

What can I really do to get an edge at table like this? Only play suited connectors and pocket pairs? Only stay in hands with the nuts and hope to get paid? It seems like I'll get blinded out before I get anywhere with that, but maybe I've just had bad luck.

Imaduck
Apr 16, 2007

EngineerSean posted:

kill yourself preflop, as played fold on every street

edit: ok maaaaaybe raise/fold on the flop.
So again, does this mean I just open suited connectors and pocket pairs and hope to hit a monster, or what? It seems like even if I open AK UTG+1 for 10x, I'm guaranteed 5+ callers making my equity irrelevant and my hand impossible to play. What's your base preflop strategy at a table like this?

Ranma posted:

UTG bets 3 streets, first street into a million players, and is described as an old man? Fold turn.
Yeah, the thing is, I'd seen this guy do the same sort of thing with a weak ace a couple hands earlier, so I felt like there were more hands in his range that I beat. So you're suggesting just play super-tight and wait for the nuts?

quote:

If people are really limping J2o preflop, raise pre.
They gave zero fucks about my raises anyway; I'd just be inflating a multiway pot without great position and a mediocre hand. I'd seen this guy call 10x w/ paint-rag already, so I had no reason to think he'd fold.

Imaduck
Apr 16, 2007

Yeah, okay, it sounds like I'm mostly in tune with the general plan then. I think I mostly just got bad luck this trip. I got called down by a guy who needed runner runner for a flush when I had top 2 pair, got blown out with my QQ on AQ5 board against AA, and had to give up on an ace high board w/ KK 3 times out of ~400 hands.

I wasn't feeling great about calling it down with ATo, but like I said, I had just seen this player do the exact same thing with worse so I can't imagine it was too wrong. It was just one of those sessions where it felt like they always had it when I called and never had it when I folded.

Thanks for the advice!

Imaduck
Apr 16, 2007

Yet another Quack Poker episode is up: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrdZMAXei3E. I'm always happy to receive any feedback on hands or the videos or anything else.

Also, if you happen to live in Austin, I'm starting up a weekly poker game here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3032558&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=80#post429733053

Imaduck
Apr 16, 2007

I think it's a good line for hand 1; the guy is aggressive and you tried to let him hang himself. It's not impossible to think his l/r was a bluff, and as you say, postflop he could put you on KK and try to take the pot away. By the river, I'm putting him on some sort of bluff give up, JJ, TT, and maybe KJs. It makes since that he'd be cautious with those hands, but might call a small river bet.

Hand 2 seems okay as well, although I'd expect to be called a lot of the time. I think we get enough folds that it's marginally profitable for us to bet the river.

Imaduck
Apr 16, 2007

Mind_Taker posted:

My thoughts: preflop I sometimes 3-bet and sometimes fold this hand. I think this is okay here in position, thoughts are welcome.
Folding seems a little weak. I agree with why you want to 3bet versus flat, but I'd sooner flat then fold here. It's a strong hand in position, and even if you get 1 or 2 more players, you're still in decent shape.

quote:

Turn is a bad card for my range and a good card for his range and I actually hated my turn bet after analyzing the hand. I think I should have checked it back and called a lot of rivers depending on the card and bet size.
The downside to checking the turn is that you give additional equity to drawing hands that will get to see a free card. The upside to checking the turn is pot control and potentially inducing bluffs that we can pick off on the river.

Since the flop wasn't that draw heavy, I feel like the extra equity you give draws by checking the turn here isn't that big of a deal, and the hand is going to be much easier to play if we b/c/(call/bet).

Imaduck
Apr 16, 2007

EDIT: Yeah, and clarify the hand here, please. If V1 is the check/raiser, did V2 call or fold? It doesn't really change our action, I think.

Seems like a definite fold. The big preflop raise and V2 being so short makes it tough to call here pre. We have to be very cautious when we do, and this whole line is just way too strong to stay in.

What's V1's limping range here? Seems like many good players are only limping weak pocket pairs in that position, and if he was trapping with a big hand we probably would have heard about it pre. Putting V1 on a set makes the most sense to me here.

Imaduck fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Sep 10, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Imaduck
Apr 16, 2007

I feel like we've really caged ourselves by not betting the flop here. If we were heads up, I wouldn't mind the flop check, but our hand is far from nutted and there are 3 other players in the pot. We have position on 2 of the players, so most of the time we're going to be able to pot control on later streets in position. Against players that are tricky and aggressive we're opening ourselves up to some really tough situations and making our opponent's ranges really tough to decipher.

As played, I'm really trying to figure out what our opponent thinks we have. Typically, if you seem like a tight player opening UTG, then he should put you on mostly premium hands. When you check the turn, it often means you have something like, JJ-KK and maybe some slow-played sets. Given how you acted on the turn, it's totally reasonable that the villain puts you on a middling pair, and thinks he can push you off of it.

With all this info plus your math, I'm leaning towards call turn and call river... but this is going to be very villain dependant, I think.

• Locked thread