Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

NL 25 6MAX

Seat 1: Seat 1 ($35.05)
Seat 2: HERO ($24.65)
Seat 3: Seat 3 ($26.35)
Seat 4: VILLAIN ($14.45)
Seat 5: Seat 5 ($4.55)
Seat 6: Seat 6 ($43.25)
Seat 5 posts the small blind of $0.10
Seat 6 posts the big blind of $0.25
The button is in seat #4
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to HERO [J:c: J:s:]
Seat 1 folds
HERO raises to $0.75
Seat 3 folds
VILLAIN calls $0.75
Seat 5 calls $0.65
Seat 6 folds
*** FLOP *** [T:h: 6:d: 8:s:]
Seat 5 checks
HERO bets $2
VILLAIN raises to $13.70, and is all in
Seat 5 folds
HERO ???

Seat 1: Seat 1 ($36.85)
Seat 2: Seat 2 ($72.95)
Seat 3: VILLAIN ($12.10)
Seat 4: HERO ($23.10)
Seat 5: Seat 5 ($67.75)
Seat 6: Seat 6 ($22.90)
Seat 5 posts the small blind of $0.10
Seat 6 posts the big blind of $0.25
The button is in seat #4
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to HERO [Q:h: Q:d:]
Seat 1 folds
Seat 2 folds
VILLAIN raises to $0.75
HERO raises to $2
Seat 5 folds
Seat 6 folds
VILLAIN calls $1.25
*** FLOP *** [3:s: 2:c: 2:d:]
VILLAIN bets $4
HERO raises to $21.10, and is all in
VILLAIN calls $6.10, and is all in

No reads. I'm pretty sure I am ahead and that this is pretty standard. Is there anything I should do differently in these situations? Raise more preflop?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

About Hand #2: Sorry, I actually do have a read on Villain. When I first got to the table he had only $4-$5 over multiple tables so right away I knew he was trying to play nitty and double up on his stronger hands. The very first hand I played I check raised him with complete air on a Q river w/ a paired board and he called b/c he had hit a 9 on the turn w/ 95. So in that 2nd hand I felt that he would only reraise with AA/KK ... maybe QQ in this situation so I only made it $2 so I could fold if he tried to push the rest of his $12. When he called I instantly put him on a medium pair. I had also seen him limp with 22 so I felt like he wouldn't commit money into the pot with a raise with small pairs.

When the flop hit, he paused for a veryyy long time. e.g. I still beat this board but do I beat my opponent.

Strong Sauce fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Feb 2, 2007

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

Live Hand 1/2Euro, I don't recall this hand too well but the general texture of the board is correct.

BB is a LAG that has been mixing up this hands well that I am having a lot of trouble reading. He will play hands in various ways and will sometimes check raise you light or check raise you with the nuts.

MP3 is not a horrible player but he is pretty easy to read. Bets when he has some hands and will sometimes checkraises, although I have yet to see him checkraise bluff or make any horrible plays.

I am in the SB, effective stacks I will say is about 175, I have 43o. MP3 limps in, I complete, BB checks.

Flop is J74 with two diamonds, I check, BB bets, MP3 calls, I call.
Turn is the 9 of diamonds I believe, I check, BB checks, MP3 checks.
River is a 4. I check, BB bets $10-12 (slightly 2/3 of the pot), MP3 thinks about it for a minute and calls as well. I think about it for a little while and I figure that I have to call and I take down the pot.

When we're at showdown and I flip my 4 up, he remarks, "nice call" (he only had a pair of 7s), MP3 mucks so I have no idea what he had to call.

So was my call bad or should I have raised? In this situation I felt that no one is going to call my raise unless they beat me and I don't really want to decide to fold my hand to someone who will/can push with something like a pair of 7s. Does raising here actually accomplish anything other than maybe folding out a baby flush? My kicker here is so bad that I don't feel like I get any value out of raising and only causes me to face a tougher decision if someone comes over the top. MP3 could also easily have a 4 as well and my kicker is absolute poo poo.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

kiwi29 posted:

I have been 4 tabling and villian has stacked two complete donks 2 1/2 times to build up a pretty deep stack I am deep aswell so i have a problem with this hand. I have little to no read because of 4 tabling unfortunatly -

I'd like to read some responses before i give my thought process, and my actions, cheers guys

Like blah_blah said: raise more preflop especially when you are playing deep. When you 4-bet at NL100 it usually means QQ+ so you letting him call that for so little allows him to almost play perfectly against you. If you bet something like 50, its an error on his part for him to pay that much hoping to stack you.

Flop check is gross. You now have no idea where you are in the hand so on the river he feels that he can bluff you out or he feels his pair of Kings is good.

In this case more of the time he doesn't have QQ here mainly because given most 4-bet preflop ranges, if he holds QQ, it's very unlikely that he thinks you also have QQ as well. So I think he puts you on QQ, especially with that check on the flop. I think I would have to call given the hand but it would be easier to evalute this play if you knew what he does with something like AK preflop. Do you have any of his VPIP/PFR?

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

crackstar posted:

http://www.pokerhand.org/?842988

Pre-flop is a misclick. Easystreet limp/calls and folds to flop bets constantly, and I hit call instead of bet pot. I have been pretty aggressive, C-betting multiple streets often, and I think that people are starting to look for spots to play back at me. Villain is 20/10 and fairly aggressive over a small sample size.

The idea of calling the turn was that I didn't think a worse hand would call a push (thought I would only see sets if called), and calling looks weak/drawy so it encourages a bluff/value bet from worse hands on the river. I didn't raise the river for the same reason, I thought only better hands would call. In retrospect I think a king or smaller 2 pair may still call a river raise, but I still thought a set was fairly likely. Did I miss value/spew here?

Seems pretty standard, it does seem pretty suspicious that he reraised so little making it seem like he wanted callers. He should have just saved himself some money by raising more on the turn and giving up on the river if you had called or betting more on the river. The river seems definitely like a blocking bet but barring any reads I would just call.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

In my experience at small stakes, not too many people are floating you here when three of the same suit hit the flop. His bets are really weak but could mean anything unless you've been playing with him a bit to get a read on what he is doing this with. But when he calls that raise on the turn I'm just going to call his bet on the river. Most people here are so afraid of the flush that they will check/call most hands, not lead the river.

You may have had a read and you should probably go with it if you feel he doesn't have the AXdd here but what is he betting here on the river short of AXdd? Is he bluffing by betting 1/3 the pot? Probably not. You might see this with a set 10% of the time but they'll probably check/call the river.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

b00 posted:

Honestly? I was thinking two pair, with Ad, like AKo AJo, something strong enough that he had outs, but still not capable of beating my made flush without the 4th diamond. I see it so much on Cake that I guess I was just stuck in that mindset. WOund up costing me a few bucks, but whatevs.

I'm not saying that it's a bad play, I mean you have the 2nd nut flush and the only thing that is beating you is AX of your suit and since you have two cards of that suit it makes it less likely for him to have that. But here it really seems like he has it. Like I said it's pretty read dependent but most players won't bet out on that river unless they have the nuts or 2nd nuts. He could possibly be blocking bet you with a big set but he can't even fold once you raise this.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

Spechel EDD posted:

Line check

Commerce 3/5 I have $800 or so, both blinds cover me. Both blinds havent done anything out of the ordinary and shown down big hands almost every time they have gone to showdown. They both seem to be better than the usual mix of mouth breathers.

I raise 98s in MP to $35 after some limpers before me. Both Blinds call. Limpers somehow fold (its live play like wtf they never fold!!! )

Flop $120ish in pot
9c8cTs

Blinds check to me, I bet out $90. SB checkraises me to $350 BB smoothcalls.

Hero ?

I think this is a definite fold. Bottom two on this board might as well be A9 no clubs. You're going to be behind most of the time and a checkraise here is not a bluff and a semi-bluff at worst. Maybe A7cc/AJcc and then you have to essentially flip for your stack.

Strong Sauce fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Mar 14, 2007

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

quote is not edit.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

Open pushing river is not going to get many calls unless you're image to Villain is someone who could possibly do this with a missed draw. If you open push a blank river you're not going to get paid off too often when you're ahead. CR the flop or turn here seems to be the standard move. Hell leading out here on the flop is golden if he has AK/AQ/AJ here.

However, it is almost always wrong to c/c c/c the flop and turn with a set given how drawy the board is becoming.

Strong Sauce fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Mar 15, 2007

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

Two hands that I played live, 1/2Euro PL Hold'em so I apologize for the lack of neat hand histories.

1st hand. I have AQo in the SB, lady in MP limps. Folds to me in the SB and I raise it to 10. BB (who is my friend) calls me, lady in MP also calls. Approx 30 in the pot. After the raise I have approx 75BB. I have both of them covered I believe.

Flop is 89Qr. I lead out for 25. My friend in the BB pops me to 75. Lady in MP kind of contemplates but decides to fold. I ??? My only read on him is that we would not do this on complete air and has connected with the flop (although I don't know how strongly).

Also assuming the lady in MP had called the raise (she doesn't seem very tricky but she might call with something like top pair medium kicker), do I fold or push there?

2nd hand. I have moved to a new table. My stack now is about ~120BB. I have JJ UTG and I limp, intending to pop it if anyone decides to raise. MP player raises to 7, all fold to button who pops it to 25. The BB looks at his cards and makes a quick call.

Person in MP I don't put on a good hand. If he has a big pair he would have raised to 10 instead of 7 (in this game whenever someone has a big hand they always want to reraise max b/c they don't want 7 other people to the flop calling him). So my range for him was medium pp to suited connectors. The guy on the button I played with before at my previous table. I felt that he raises with a ton of garbage but when he reraises he will have a hand 95% of the time. Guy in the BB I have played before, my read is he minraises when he flops really good hands and a chaser. I think his quick call is 22-TT.

In this situation I can't actually push, the maximum I can reraise to is bout 155. So my only option now is to call or reraise. What is my action? If I reraise here to 75-100(?) do I call a push? Is there any amount that I can reraise that doesn't essentially commit me to the pot? Do I just call here and get more aggressive if an ace or king doesn't flop?

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

cricket eater joe posted:

Hand

That guy played the hand poorly, but you played it even worse. Why don't you do this when you actually have the Ace? There is no need to make huge fancy bluffs at .25/.50. No one is thinking that deep. Also if you're going to be floating then 2 barreling into the river then you better bet more than less than half the pot.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

Playing with about 350 euros behind at 1/2PL, I cover both players involved in this hand. I am one off the button and a blind bet has been placed so it is 4 euro to call. 4 limpers to me, I limp with A6o, Button limps SB/BB all come along. Everyone comes along in a huge family pot.

Flop comes AQ6 all rainbow. Everyone checks over to me and I bet about 35 euros. I actually intended to bet about 30 or so but I misread the pot for having more chips. I feel that I have the best hand here and there's no point in checking and I might induce someone to raise me. Folds to the SB who reraises to 75. SB has not done too much out of line. I definitely have shown down pretty strong hands and although I could have easily been trying to steal the pot, I doubt he would have raised me with air here. Everyone else folds to the guy to my right, who IMMEDIATELY pots it to 200+. Hero???

I know right now I am ahead of one of them. I just don't believe any of them limped Aces/Queens even AQ in this situation is so unlikely that I put them holding these hands at 5-10%. Aces/Queens could have easily popped it a good amount and would want that to prevent everyone at the table from seeing a flop.

So what is the likelyhood that one of them holds the only hand that beats me? Given that I only believe one hand beats me, and two people have shown strength on this board, can I fold this since I have only put 35 euros into the pot? Essentially here I need to either fold or push but I don't know how often one of these players needs to have 66 in order for me to fold.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

Strong Sauce posted:

Playing with about 350 euros behind at 1/2PL, I cover both players involved in this hand. I am one off the button and a blind bet has been placed so it is 4 euro to call. 4 limpers to me, I limp with A6o, Button limps SB/BB all come along. Everyone comes along in a huge family pot.

Flop comes AQ6 all rainbow. Everyone checks over to me and I bet about 35 euros. I actually intended to bet about 30 or so but I misread the pot for having more chips. I feel that I have the best hand here and there's no point in checking and I might induce someone to raise me. Folds to the SB who reraises to 75. SB has not done too much out of line. I definitely have shown down pretty strong hands and although I could have easily been trying to steal the pot, I doubt he would have raised me with air here. Everyone else folds to the guy to my right, who IMMEDIATELY pots it to 200+. Hero???

I know right now I am ahead of one of them. I just don't believe any of them limped Aces/Queens even AQ in this situation is so unlikely that I put them holding these hands at 5-10%. Aces/Queens could have easily popped it a good amount and would want that to prevent everyone at the table from seeing a flop.

So what is the likelyhood that one of them holds the only hand that beats me? Given that I only believe one hand beats me, and two people have shown strength on this board, can I fold this since I have only put 35 euros into the pot? Essentially here I need to either fold or push but I don't know how often one of these players needs to have 66 in order for me to fold.

Since no one replied I thought I would post again. I would really like opinions on what to do.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

Pizzlefish posted:

Do you have any read on the guy to your right?

No read. But I don't believe it to be a bluff.

deaders posted:

Limping A6o preflop is bad, just dont do it. As it is though, fold the flop. 66 is unlikely but it is definitely not unusual for some live donk to "slowplay" aces preflop, not to mention completing AQo in the SB with so many limpers is probably better than raising it most of the time.

I am one off the button with everyone calling the blind 4 euro bet in front of me. Can you possibly say this is a fold? I call 4 to essentially try and win about 24 euros in front of me and an additional 12 euros if the button/SB/BB also call. I have almost zero fear of any of those three raising without a big hand. Raising is absurd but I can't imagine folding this preflop. If there were only a few limpers or so in front of me I would not have played this hand but the fact that everyone in front of me had limped made me feel like this is an easy call. Please comment on whether this is a leak.

The flop is essentially what I wanted with my hand. I wasn't that scared of the SB but LP suddenly wakes up and reraises a checkraiser which is a pretty strong move. So now I'm in a position where I believe I have the best hand to beat one person but probably not against two.

I don't believe either one of them has AA/QQ here (like i said maybe 5% chance) mainly because either one of them would have raised preflop given the amount of limpers. I can't imagine the SB playing AA/QQ this way because he is facing so many limpers and the LP player should know it's probably unlikely anyone left to act (me, the button and the blinds) would be raising here. If someone in EP made this raise instead of the SB I might have read it for that and be willing to give them credit for that hand but the fact that it was the SB and LP player doing the raising led me to believe neither of them have AA/QQ.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

TheKING posted:

Villain is loose-passive. He made a 1 /4 of the pot flop bluff earlier, which I c/r and he folded. He hasn’t tried to bluff me since, but has called a couple weak hands on the flop (both of which have been weaker than what I was C-betting with, including calling AJo OOP on an 886 flop).

Hand #1090011454000598: Chelsea 11454
Seat 1: invno1 (18.00 in chips)
Seat 2: ppooem7070 (6.10 in chips)
Seat 3: mr.wolle (99.00 in chips)
Seat 4: ducksauce (45.00 in chips)
Seat 5: txpkrace (82.80 in chips)
Seat 6: Monroow (123.00 in chips)
Seat 7: *ZEKE* (29.45 in chips)
Seat 8: Hero (114.30 in chips)
Seat 9: Mills (136.40 in chips)
Seat 10: PokerFan (74.50 in chips)
Monroow: posts small blind $0.50
*ZEKE*: posts big blind $1
Dealt to Hero [ K :c: K :h: ]
Hero: raises to $4
Mills: calls
PokerFan: folds
invno1: folds
ppooem7070: folds
mr.wolle: folds
ducksauce: folds
txpkrace: folds
Monroow: calls
*ZEKE*: folds
*** FLOP *** [ K :s: 3 :s: J :s: ]
Monroow: checks
Hero: bets $12
Mills: calls
Monroow: folds
*** TURN *** [ 4 :s: ]
Hero: checks
Mills: checks
*** RIVER *** [ 7 :c: ]
Hero: checks
Mills: checks

Should I have made a blocking bet on the turn and/or river? If he was bluffier I definitely should have on at least the turn, right?

Checking this down isn't horrible since he's probably going to call with any spade although sometimes this can also often be someone who hit the turn and is slowplaying with the A:s: or Q:s: I wish you hadn't shown the river action because otherwise I would think that this was the play. Loose passive players love to sandbag their made nut hands which is all the better for you since you can get a free card on the turn to draw to your full house and hopefully get paid off when you hit. There is no real point in making a blocking bet on the turn/river unless you think this player will fold anything lower than the 4 of spades. If he doesn't have a spade the only hand that beats you is 56 so almost all other hands will fold unless he cannot let go of two pair on a 4flush turn. Essentially I'm saying you're making players fold only when you beat them and raise/call when you are beaten. After that 4th card flush hits I'm pretty much done with the hand unless to lets me draw to my full house for cheap.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

EC10 posted:

stars nl 10/20 HU vs "crablar". he is a 2p2er but i dont think hes very good. i guess he wins at nl 2k because he plays nl 2k and 5k but from his posts ive read he seems like a typical massive FPS spewy 2+2er.

i think this is more interesting than it appears on first glance because you have to consider not only the possibility that hes bluffing or vbetting a worse hand but..does he call with worse? AK he would 3bet here PF for SURE so basically we're relying on him to make a hero call with KJ/KQ, right?

Seat 4: CrAbLaR ($1910 in chips)
Seat 5: EC10 ($2735 in chips)
EC10 : posts small blind $10
CrAbLaR: posts big blind $20

EC10: K:d: 8:h:

RAISE EC10 to $60
CALL CrAbLaR, $40

Flop 7:c: 5:h: K:s: Pot $120

CHECK CrAbLaR
CHECK EC10

Turn 5:d: Pot $120

CHECK CrAbLaR
BET EC10 , $70
RAISE CrAbLaR, $152 to $222
CALL EC10 , $152

River 8:s: Pot $564

BET CrAbLaR, $444

call or shove

What do you think he was doing on the flop? Waiting to CR your cbet?

I really think a shove here is good because you might get called by K7 who now is vbetting river hoping you call thinking that you two will split the pot. This shove is even better if he is willing to lay down trips here with a weak kicker. (Wouldn't trips 5s with a good kicker shove river instead of vbetting?)

Edit: Sorry, just realized how much of his stack was left on the river. Ignore my argument about him shoving a strong 5 hand.

Strong Sauce fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Apr 6, 2007

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

Loveboat posted:

So you're assuming he's the worst player in the world?

edit: And yes I saw your edit, it's not that it's too much for him to bet that's stupid.

I'm so glad you didn't even consider how much I thought he had left! If he has slightly above the current pot left how is it not an easy shove for him? Is he really folding trips with a stack thats just a little bit greater than the pot? The hand completely changes since they are deeper which is why my initial thinking about villain shoving trips is completely wrong.

This is assuming that villain even has trips, I still think its K7 that was trying to CR on the flop, finally got his CR on the turn and is now value betting what he thinks is the better two pair.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

Villain could also easily have TT in this situation although this play has absolutely no value. I'm probably letting this go barring some amazing read that he bluff pushes turns like this. Barring that this is almost 90% AT/QT/TT/T7 here.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

Morphius22000 posted:

Yeah after the fact I really think it screams set too. I'm pretty sure you see 77 or 55 much more often than KQ or QJ to make this a correct call.

As for the actual hand, I tanked for a while, called, and he showed AQ. :v:

A lot of people play KQ, QJ, Q7, Q5, 2 diamonds, 55, 77 and sometimes 68 the same way. The fact that you 3-bet this makes this a harder call/fold than usual since you have absolutely no reads and have no feel of what the other player thinks about you.

At least now you know you can play small pocket pairs against him successfully since he's so willing to stack off with TPTK (and vice versa).

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

Arrg posted:

Well, Torcida had been a very agressive player, buying several pots and having to rebuy chips once in the 57 hands I was at the table. I started with $2 and had worked my way up. My biggest question is was my betting/rasing correct @ the turn.

(Oh god please don't yell at me again!)

How aggressive is he on the turn and river? If he is not stupid aggressive you're probably not going to see a worser hand here. If he is calling your flop raise he is probably not doing this without a diamond. Maybe AA/AK with the A:d:. If he really is that crazy then you might be good here but in most cases I don't make this move unless I know 1) he is really aggressive and 2) I hold at least the Q of that suit.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

Biggy_ posted:

http://cakepoker.com/HandHistory/?Hand=xcXGxcTFxcbNwMTExMTNwYjFx8bGzcY%3d

I had 77. Comments? I'm pretty sure raising the flop is a must looking back at the hand.

This is a pretty tough spot to play since UTG initially checked. You don't know what he's going to do if you call or if you raise so it puts you in a really tough spot. Although this is only .10/.20, UTG could be thinking about squeezing if you call or if he actually has a hand, jam once you decide to raise. So I think calling and raising have similar expectations. You really just want UTG to fold regardless of what you do.

On the turn you have to protect your hand, if I was just HU I might be inclined to go all-in for ~$7 (what he has left on the turn) into the $6 pot. But since UTG is lingering around you have to bet closer to the size of the pot. That or check through on the turn. These medium bets cost more than nice small probe bets but also don't protect your hand like a big bet does. Personally I would bet near pot on the turn and fold if fishpool decides to push but call CaptSp if fishpool folds and CaptSp goes all in for about $2 more.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

simple posted:

hand

Considering the board is fairly dry and someone you call, "tight passive" is pushing all-in after you have shown strength on 2 streets proably means you're beat. Since it's only 18 more to you you have to call but you're probably behind to some two pair hand like KT,K7 or a set. If the person is terrible, you might see KQ/J doing this thinking "I don't know what to do!" *shove* after you bet twice into him but KQ/J probably leads out or raises you on the flop. Here there's no real reason to bet the turn given his stack size.

EC10 posted:

call or shove

I'm guessing he has a boat here more often than not, Most likely 66 or 65. The line seems to be, "I'm so weak. I'm so weak. Oh I better bet into him on the river so he'll call at least $100" If you think he'll play this passive with just trip 5s then I probably just shove. No hand he holds with two clubs really makes sense unless he is willing to float you twice with something like 78cc

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

1/2PL I am deep stacked (350-400bb).

A couple of early limpers, guy to my right raises to 10. He is a thinking player, capable of making moves but overall a pretty solid player. He has a deep stack as well, at the very least, 300bb. I'm on the button and I see 55 so I call the 10.

One of the initial limpers, a very tough, thinking, tricky player (he is at least 400bb deep, most likely covers me) suddenly reraises to 50. I have been trying to stay out of his way for most of the night because I have had difficulty in the past playing against him. He had not been doing much limp-reraising, just standard raises preflop, then betting or bluffing depending on what he felt the other player would do but he may have done this because he was setting up to make a play like this. Guy to my right who initially bet thinks before eventually calling. I call at this point pretty much playing for set value.

Flop comes 4s6c7c. Villain (the reraiser) bets out 125. Guy to my right thinks about it for 20 seconds and mucks. What is my play here and what order do you like best in terms of call/raise/fold?

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

Morphius22000 posted:

What? The stacks aren't nearly big enough for multi-street firing. The pot's 275, and Sauce has 300-350 behind him. If he flatcalls the pot will be 400 and he'll have like 275-300, meaning he'll have to put it in on the turn. I push or fold here depending on whether he'll fold overpairs or not (since he's a smart player I'm more inclined to jam and hope he puts me on a set, and even if he doesn't I'm still only about 3:2 against).

If I call this 125 bet, I still have around 600-700 behind. I can't push all in since this is pot limit so the max bet after his 125 is (125*2) + (125+150) which is ~525 essentially committing me to the hand even if I miss the turn.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

Biggy_ posted:

http://cakepoker.com/HandHistory/?Hand=xcXHwsTFxcfBzcTExMbMwIjFx8bGzcY%3d

Posting this hand cause I heard some mixed opinions, he hadn't played a big hand before this. I pot bet the river and he instashoves.

I had KQ

Given the hand I think the T:s: can get you to fold. Any other T and I think you have to call. The board is paired and the spade draw got there. The only real hand you beat is trip 9s and I'm not sure he is going to jam with that with possible straight and flush draws.

But then again it is Cake so I probably call like you anyways. Just a bad hand to hit on. He definitely played that perfectly against your hand and his strength is pretty hidden.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

LLeGGo posted:

Werd...

I agree this is a complete and utter abortion of a hand. This is not my usual type of play. Perhaps I should of explained myself better as to why I even posted this hand.

I wanted to get opinions how to save myself should I have made the decisions I outlined such as a c/c or b/c. Which is why at the end I said "besides folding". Playing low connectors OOP is not something I do against players I dont know much about, or in general. This was more a hypothetical post on the situation, and less then my actual hand, of which I know is horrible.

But p0isonxfree, thats the exact response I expected and wanted, thanks. :)

Preflop if you're going to play something as weak as 76o a reraise is probably way better than just a call because then you'll at least be taking initiative and he'll have to play cautiously even though he has JJ. But again, 76o isn't exactly the best hand to be 3-betting against an unknown, especially if this unknown won't let go of JJ easily. Calling is probably the worst play here as you're not getting great odds, you're out of position, and have shown absolutely no strength. If you call here with weak hands you'd have to balance it out by calling with your monsters as well and that doesn't work too well EV wise (although for deception, we do sometimes just call with big hands). Reraising here at least allows villain to slow down when you donkbet him on the flop because at least now you're donkbet is trying to say, "I have a hand"

On the flop, you check fold unless he bets very small. I plugged in a very standard range against a standard player for you into PokerStove

50,490 games 0.005 secs 10,098,000 games/sec

Board: 8s 3c 5c
Dead:
equity win tie pots won pots tied
Hand 0: 30.596% 29.92% 00.67% 15109 339.00 { 7d6s }
Hand 1: 69.404% 68.73% 00.67% 34703 339.00 { 88+, 55, 33, AcKc, Ac8c, 9c7c, 7c6c, 6c4c, 4c2c }

Edit:

http://www.pokerhand.org/?555435

Strong Sauce fucked around with this message at 15:57 on May 22, 2007

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

Eratik posted:

That's a pretty small range right there. I like how your villain never cbets and checks 44/77 on this flop.

How does villain cbet when hero donkbet the flop?

But fair enough, assume villain will reraise with a huge range of hands, the best you can probably move his range/equity to is 60/40 and that's only if villain is a complete maniac. Adding 44 and 77 to his range doesn't change his equity much at all. It will probably increase his FE slightly. I am sure more often than not villain is not going to raise 44/77 and is probably more likely to have an overpair here that he probably won't let go on such an innocuous flop.

146,520 games 0.005 secs 29,304,000 games/sec

Board: 8s 3c 5c
Dead:

Hand 0: 40.987% 40.69% 00.30% 59620 434.00 { 7d6s }
Hand 1: 59.013% 58.72% 00.30% 86032 434.00 { 22+, AJs+, Ac8c, KJs+, 9c7c, 7c6c, 6c4c, 4c2c, AJo+, KJo+ }

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

rath posted:

Hand history didn't get written to file (:argh: Vista), but I need some input on this.

Playing .10/.20 NL, 10 handed. I pick up QQ in the SB with ~$22 and villain (no reads, new to the table) was on the button with ~$20.

Preflop: 3 limps, villain raises to ~$1.40, I reraise to ~$4.50, limpers fold, villain pauses for a good 5-10 seconds and then calls.

Flop comes 9-5-2 rainbow. I make a roughly pot sized bet (~$9.50) and our villain calls.

Turn is a 7 and I push my last $8, villain calls.

Villain showed KK and it holds up.

Would you play this hand differently? I'm still pretty new, but I can't see it being profitable to play hands like this scared that everyone at the table has AA or KK.

I didn't see your spoiler text, and you usually shouldn't mention results until a couple of people have critiqued your post.

First, I like that you reraised preflop but i dont think you really need to reraise that big. A raise to 3.50-4.00 should be enough despite some of the extra money from the limpers. Most people aren't going to call this reraise and when they do they usually have a decent enough hand.

On the flop, pushing here is kinda terrible. You'll obviously get smaller pocket pairs to fold (WHY?) but AA/KK or a made set are going to call you every day. You have to suspect him for a pocket pair or a big A and there are no flush draws out. So you really need to follow a WA/WB line.

There is 9.50 in the pot, you have 17.50 left. You want to bet enough on both the flop and turn as close to the pot size as possible. The way you played it, he has to call $8 to win approx $28.5. What does he call on the flop for a pot sized bet that he's going to fold on the turn for that small amount?

But because of the amount of money you have left, it is kind of hard to make pot sized bets, which is another reason to reraise smaller preflop. That way you can make bigger bets on the flop and turn where you can get all your money in evenly.

If you bet half the pot on the flop, you'll leave yourself enough money to bet half the pot on the turn if he calls. If he has AA/KK here, that's tough but you would have lost all your money anyways. But if he doesn't have AA/KK then you have made a ton of money from the smaller pocket pair.

Of course this is barring any read like, "he only cold calls with AA/KK/AK" which is usually the case when someone "just calls" here.

Edit: just read your spoiler; which would make a case for you betting smaller on the flop. There is no need to blow anyone out of the hand on the flop because they're either beating you or not and you want the people you are beating to put money into the pot.

Strong Sauce fucked around with this message at 11:52 on May 28, 2007

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

Preflop is horrible. Raise Raise Raise 3x-4x is fine.

Preflop raise is better because if you limp, everyone else limps causing a huge family pot which is terrible for pocket tens. If you raise preflop and get reraised then there are some merits for folding at that point. At .01/.02 no one probably cares that you raised UTG since all they're really looking at is what they have and will probably reraise you with only hands that beat you.

Flop is terrible. Don't check a 2 flush connected board like this. And when someone bets here this is where you raise to like $2 $1.

Turn is terrible, hearts got there, 2 straight draws got there. Why are you betting out on the turn? You're essentially turning your hand into a bluff at this point.

RAISE PREFLOP.
PUT MORE MONEY IN ON THE FLOP.
PROFIT.

Strong Sauce fucked around with this message at 11:18 on May 30, 2007

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

joboo002 posted:

hand

Against an unknown who is noticably tight I would probably play it the same way as you. I don't mind this line but make a note of what he minraised you on the flop with after you call down.

After you figure that out, play accordingly.

Sometimes I just shove this flop though. He's calling anything from 88-JJ and maybe even 55 and obviously any 6. But given the way the hand plays out I'm guessing he has a 7 or TT/JJ.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

Makeo posted:

sorry the converter didn't like the format.

I've just moved up and am interested in peoples thoughts. I know it isn't a tricky or interesting hand but can see it coming up again.

Villain is TAG.

Thanks

I 3-bet jam this hand every day. Very standard. The only thing that has you completely crushed is a set of 8s, 7s or deck-forbidding pocket kings. Even against those hands you still have a decent amount of outs.

Against an overpair (AA) you are pretty even (AA is slightly favored) while even against 2 pair you are the slight favorite.

Edit: Sorry the two pair was 8s and 7s. You're behind K8

Strong Sauce fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Jun 2, 2007

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

blah_blah posted:

This is a hand I played awhile back that I thought was pretty interesting. Live 1/2, stacks 200BB effective, 7 or 8 handed, can't remember.

Folded around to CO (very, very bad player) who opens to 5x, button calls, SB (pretty tight, occasionally plays hands weird) calls, I call with 76 of spades.

Flop is Kc 6h 5c. SB checks, I check, CO bets $15 or something, everyone calls.

Turn is the 6d, SB donks out $60, I call (?), CO calls, button folds.

River is the 9d, SB checks, I bet $110 or something, CO folds, SB raises all in, I fold my hand faceup.

e: unfortunately I'm not 100% sure that the river was the 9 (e.g., completing the 5-9 straight) but it definitely didn't complete the flush.

Give another answer if the river is the Td, I guess (might be the same).

I like checking on the river mainly because there is no value in betting against 2 players especially when it is obvious by the turn that someone in the hand has a 6. You know you have a 6 so what are the other 2 calling with? One probably has a better 6 and the other one probably has the K. I don't know what you mean by "playing hands weird" but I assume that means that he sometimes doesn't show up with a 6 here? Still I like checking the best over any other action.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

blah_blah posted:

Well, CO never ever has a 6, and SB can definitely have a 6, but could have air, or a big king, or some sort of weird boat. Checking behind trips seems really nitty.

I agree though that CO probably doesn't have a 6 here.

I was basing my post off your read of the SB, which is "tight but plays hands weird". Obviously a big K is in his range but I think that has to shrink considerably if he's not tricky because the standard line is to bet the big K on the flop with two clubs on board or at the very least c/R when CO bets and button calls. I can't imagine a lot of people slowplaying a big K here.

I just noticed that he also leads into 3 people and not just 2 on the board. Has he ever done this with a big draw or bluff? How often do you expect this tight player to lead without a decent hand?

I guess betting on the river is sort of read dependent and board dependent but I don't think checking trips with a weak kicker is that particularly nitty given the board, your position, and that you only beat 3 hands that have a 6 in it. If the board read something like AK66Q, I will bet like you did and call shoves expecting to chop at worst and stacking against AK/AQ/KQ.

Spechel EDD posted:

Serious? This is live. People will go crazy and make so many calls with just a King.

I'd be calling this river and only folding with a super read on him having a better 6/straight/boat

Seriously! I don't think people calling here with a K are _that_ crazy but given the action and against 2 other players who still show interest after the turn, checking is good, especially with your kicker and the amount of money left behind.

Most of this post I wrote before I even bothered to calculate the pot odds and after I have I think you have to call. The amount you have left to call against the amount in the pot makes this a call getting almost 3.5:1. Pot is $290 on the river, you both have $315 left. You bet $110, he jams for $315, you have to call $205 to win $715. I think now you do have to call. Which again is why I like checking here because when SB jams here you're probably getting the very worst of it.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

blah_blah posted:

After I folded faceup SB showed A6cc in disbelief. He must have been tilted pretty bad because I stacked him twice later with fairly marginal holdings. It just seems so bizarre for SB to check river here with a hand this strong after donking out the turn.

Do you think that if SB pots the river I should check fold? I think the answer here is 'yes', but I still think that if he checks to me I have to bet given how bad CO is .
Ignoring the stack sizes, His play is pretty standard and your play is pretty standard after he c/R you on the river. In fact his hand pretty much allows him to c/R because he is expecting you to almost bet here 100% of the time with a 6 and you have a 6 almost 100% of the time because of your position and your relative lack of caring about what the person in front of you or behind you has.

Also when you say check/fold to the pot bet on the river, I think you mean just "fold" since he will be first to act. I would agree with calling a pot bet on the river except if you label this guy as tight, he is not really bluffing here against two people is he? I suppose I would eventually talk myself into calling but I'm probably going to not like doing it and even hate it more if the CO raises.

I don't understand why you have to bet if checked just because the CO is bad. That doesn't change SBs hand who is really the only one you're worried about at this point.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

toybux posted:

http://www.pokerhand.org/?1154493

My question here is the turn against a consistent floater. Do you like my line, or do you prefer to lead turn? If you play the turn that way, do you like/dislike my river play?

I don't like this unless he is consistently floating you with bad hands. If he just likes to call a lot of flops that he has hit, that turn card hit him pretty well in terms of what his calling range on the flop should be. I like c/c turn c/f river most of the time because most hands you beat are checking behind on the turn. Again this is hard to figure out without you defining what "consistent floater" means (floats with garbage, floats with draws/middle pair etc). Have any of the HH where you can show his floats?

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

How do you fold Queens on a Jack high board. Laughable.

P.S. a player that reraises to just 40 after 2 people have called a $12 raise is not "good"

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

What are the blinds? $2.25 seems way to small for .50/1 and too big for .25/.50

It's a really difficult spot here because you often have the best hand here more often than not. However, based on the 100 hands you've seen, he raises 20% of his hands. If you assume his range to be the top 15% and his reraising range to be the top 10%.

Hand 0: 47.791% 47.27% 00.52% 314481 3460.50 { 77+, A9s+, KTs+, QTs+, AJo+, KQo }
Hand 1: 52.209% 51.69% 00.52% 343878 3460.50 { TT }

Given that, I think I sometimes call and fold turn if bet into again but sometimes I might raise here to something like ~$18-20 and then just shutdown if he calls.

Usually I consider this option if I know the guy to be a habitual c-better and I went to end the hand before something like a Q+ peels off and allows me to fold cheaply if he has AJ. It also puts someone who reraises with KJ in a tough spot considering you can easily have AJ here. Of course this only works if you raise a dry flop with a set or two pair.

But barring any reads I will probably call and check fold a strong turn bet. I think a lot of players here will bet very weakly on the turn with AK/AQ hoping to see a cheap river to spike their AK/AQ.

Considering the option that if you call you might face a bet that is way bigger than $10 on the turn or river. Raising here might get you cheaper information than calling down if you're content with folding if he reraises your flop raise.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

Consider check/check turn and call a non pot-sized bet, maybe fold to a half-pot bet on up, on the river. There is no real point in betting here on the turn since he can bluff you off lots of hands that you beat but you can pick off lots of bluffs on the river if you just check through. (Although I don't see too many players at .10/.20 that will try to bluff the river if they don't even have an A at minimum).

Fake Edit: Just realized he called a pot-sized bet on the flop with 3 spades to it, that should be sending alarm bells off in your head. Easy turn check and possible river fold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

1/2 PL Hand.

2 hands previous to this, I limp in EP with AT and I flop top two and bet all three streets with my opponent calling me down and showing me flopped bottom two.

Now I am UTG, I limp again with A:d:T:d:. ~4 people+blinds all limp in as well.

Flop is K:d:Tx:d:. I bet out 10 or so. Button calls.

Turn is the 5:h:, I bet out 25, he instantly reraises me to 110. Hero?

Edit: He had about 150 left behind. I'm pretty sure I had him covered.

Strong Sauce fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Sep 23, 2007

• Locked thread