Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheKING
Aug 13, 2003

I usually stay far away from SHNL, so go easy on me. I didn't have reads on the guy, but it just seemed like a weird way to play AA so I wasn't convinced, and figured my 6 outs may pad me a little bit in any case. I'm pretty sure it was played wrong, so give me some advice.

FullTiltPoker Game #1716061162: Table Benson (6 max) - $0.25/$0.50 - No Limit Hold'em - 22:37:02 ET - 2007/02/01
Seat 1: ($62.15)
Seat 2: Villain ($44.85)
Seat 3: ($40.05)
Seat 4: ($42.40)
Seat 5: Hero ($62.70)
Seat 6: ($30.45)
BadBeatHern posts the small blind of $0.25
Hero posts the big blind of $0.50
The button is in seat #3
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to Hero [9:s: 9:h:]
6 folds
1 calls $0.50
Villian calls $0.50
3 folds
4 calls $0.25
Hero raises to $2.50
wg100 folds
Villian raises to $4.50
BadBeatHern folds
Hero calls $2
*** FLOP *** [5:c: 7:h: 6:d:]
Hero checks
Villian bets $4
Hero raises to $14
Villian raises to $40.35, and is all in
Hero calls $26.35

TheKING fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Feb 2, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKING
Aug 13, 2003

Villain is loose-passive. He made a 1 /4 of the pot flop bluff earlier, which I c/r and he folded. He hasn’t tried to bluff me since, but has called a couple weak hands on the flop (both of which have been weaker than what I was C-betting with, including calling AJo OOP on an 886 flop).

Hand #1090011454000598: Chelsea 11454
Seat 1: invno1 (18.00 in chips)
Seat 2: ppooem7070 (6.10 in chips)
Seat 3: mr.wolle (99.00 in chips)
Seat 4: ducksauce (45.00 in chips)
Seat 5: txpkrace (82.80 in chips)
Seat 6: Monroow (123.00 in chips)
Seat 7: *ZEKE* (29.45 in chips)
Seat 8: Hero (114.30 in chips)
Seat 9: Mills (136.40 in chips)
Seat 10: PokerFan (74.50 in chips)
Monroow: posts small blind $0.50
*ZEKE*: posts big blind $1
Dealt to Hero [ K :c: K :h: ]
Hero: raises to $4
Mills: calls
PokerFan: folds
invno1: folds
ppooem7070: folds
mr.wolle: folds
ducksauce: folds
txpkrace: folds
Monroow: calls
*ZEKE*: folds
*** FLOP *** [ K :s: 3 :s: J :s: ]
Monroow: checks
Hero: bets $12
Mills: calls
Monroow: folds
*** TURN *** [ 4 :s: ]
Hero: checks
Mills: checks
*** RIVER *** [ 7 :c: ]
Hero: checks
Mills: checks

Should I have made a blocking bet on the turn and/or river? If he was bluffier I definitely should have on at least the turn, right?

TheKING
Aug 13, 2003

Villain liked to limp SB-BB just about any time he got the chance. He liked to overslowplay his big hands (a couple orbits before he 2x bet QQ pf, minbet Qxx rainbow flop, c/c the turn and checked the river (presumably for c/r). I never saw him show a bluff, but it appeared like he was taking most good opportunities given to him. He was in quite a few hands but I never saw him get carried away with bluffs or marginal hands. He had c/f the flop both times we were in this situation before.

We each have about a full buyin.

Blinds: .25/.50
Folded around to villain, who completes the SB, I check my BB with 5 :c: 2 :c:

flop: A :s: Q :d: 3 :d:

villain: check
Hero: bet $0.95
villain: call $0.95

turn: 7 :d:

villain: check
Hero: check

river: 4 :s:

villain: bet $1.4
hero: ?

was raise/fold the obvious move here? I'm almost positive it was but knowing what I knew at the time, I still feel some nagging indecision about whether this line was the best, flat call, or raise and call a reraise.

He had AJ of clubs. I underestimated exactly how far he was willing to go with slowplays. If I knew he was capable of play THIS weak would that change anything? Should I have known he was capable of that? Should I assume unknowns that I have a similar read on are willing to do this with good and/or weak aces?

TheKING fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Jul 16, 2007

TheKING
Aug 13, 2003

Cactus Jack posted:

I like to lead out a lot of times for pot hu, you'll usually take it down since opponents will typically fold if they whiff (which they do like 70% of the time). It sounds like this guy only calls flops when they hit the board and your hand is poo poo, so check it down and hope you hit your miracle card.

I'm confused, aren't the reasons you listed why I should bet the flop? He has seemingly no standards for completing the SB, has c/f the past 2, so he's probably not going to call this unless he has at least a Q or fd, which as you stated, he won't have most of the time. And in the event that my 4 does hit and he has a big hand, I have already built the pot from the pathetic 2 BB it was at.

Edit:

p0isonxfree posted:

I think he meant raise and fold to a shove.

Yea, I was basically asking if I should fold if this guy puts in a big reraise. I wouldn't even know what to think if this guy did it since he's such a bizarre fish (I would still think it was a flush), but most half-way decent players I've seen are going to have at least a set when they reraise there, and often will only reraise flushes. I would still probably call a small reraise, but a big reraise in this spot would make me groan.

\/\/\/\/\/
"...when they hit the board and your hand is poo poo, so check it down and hope you hit your miracle card. Turn check is fine to control potsize, hope your card hits on river."

the way your advice flowed from flop to turn confused me, it sounded like you were still talking about the flop since you ended the sentence like that.

TheKING fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Jul 16, 2007

TheKING
Aug 13, 2003

Ok there was a lot of confusion and I didn't really get my main question answered, so we'll just hypothetically go from here, with all the reads we had.

river: 4 :s:

Pot: $2.85

villain: bet $1.40
hero: raise $6.75
villain: raise $21.50
hero: ???

We know he would definitely slowplay a set, but would also likely call then slowplay a flush. Although the flush seems to best fit this play and I haven't seen him make any outrageous bluffs yet, he's also a bad player and might not realize that his set/2pair has gone down value at this point. Also, since he's a bad player, doing something completely ridiculous is still a possibility even though it doesn't fit his play so far.

So am I up against set/something retarded often enough to make this call?

• Locked thread