Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
duffman
Feb 4, 2004
I AM A LIAR
Live 1-2

I have $800, both villains cover. The small blind is an unknown to me, while the other villain in middle position is a older, thinking player (OTP) that I have played with a handful of times. I have been playing pretty tight, and I know that only the older player knows this.

I am sitting on the button with A :d: 6 :d:

$10 straddle is in place this hand, 2 limpers before me, I raise to $40. There are only two callers, the two mentioned above.

Pot: $140

Flop: 6 :c: 8 :d: 2 :d:

Sb checks, OTP checks, Hero bets $80, both call

Pot: $380

Turn: A :s:

Sb checks, OTP checks, hero checks

River: 2 :s:

Sb checks, OTP bets $160, Hero Calls, Sb raises to $600, OTP calls, hero???

1) Hows my line look?
2) Are we calling or folding?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duffman
Feb 4, 2004
I AM A LIAR

LuckySevens posted:

I'm not really familiar with live play that much, but with a straddle, why would you want to raise here with A6s?

Anyway, flop bet looks good, but that is a really easy turn bet, hope you get check-raised and push it in.

I have position with tons of dead money in the pot. UTG had never raised his straddle, so I pretty much planned on raising with any two cards. The raise is me getting a little out of line, but was a standard play on an unusually tight table. My plan was to rep a big pair, "float" the flop to inflate the pot, check what is hopefully a diamond turn, then get as much value as possible on the river. I didn't think either player was strong enough on the turn that an ace helped that much, and my image at the time was really nitty. I guess most of my line is based on my play with OTP, who is betting the river most of the time thinking I have qq/jj. In the villains eyes I am only raising with jj+, and totally sold the fear of an ace.

Initially I had planned on getting it in on the turn, but felt it would stink of a set instead of my 2 pair+nut flush draw.

duffman
Feb 4, 2004
I AM A LIAR
One of the big hands from playing live 1-2 tonight:

Effective Stacks: $1800

Reads: Villain in this case is someone who I have played with frequently, is a tricky, laggy player, and has been playing like a maniac tonight. I caught him raising k/10 from the SB already tonight by limp/3-betting JJ from the button, and got paid off. I have been playing pretty tight tonight, picking up small pots here and there, and got looked up once leading out with my nut flush draw, betting at a blank card, then stacking another player on the river which completed the flush. I also showed down another limp/big pair combo for ~$900 earlier. Villain had commented me fastplaying the flush.

I am on the button, and villain is in the sb.

Two limpers to me, I raise to 20 with black offsuit A/K. Villain raises $80, I 3-bet to $200, villain calls.

Flop

Pot: $406

A :h: J :h: 8 :h:

Villain quickly bets $100, Hero raises to $250, villain calls

Turn: 2 :h:
$906

Villain bets $400, Hero raises to $1350.

E: VV after midnight the stacks get deep, and the max buyin changes from $500->$1000. The game plays higher than 1/2... a normal open raise is $25, plus a ton of straddling and restraddling goes on. 2-3k stacks are not uncommon at all.

duffman fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Apr 3, 2007

duffman
Feb 4, 2004
I AM A LIAR

Spechel EDD posted:

lol you really think youre ahead of him here? Even maniacs get hands you know. Any heart beats you and youre investing way way way way way way way way way more than you should there on the turn.

Yeah I figured out that I was behind any heart, and of course I don't think I was ahead here. I didn't think the villian will be able to call.

duffman
Feb 4, 2004
I AM A LIAR

blah_blah posted:

Based on his line (weak lead on flop seems like he wants to see turn cheap) he probably has like red TT or 99; will he fold either of these to a shove? If the answer is no then this is soooo spewy.

Yes, we have played together over the past two years pretty frequently, and he can quickly fold red 10's or 9's here. I very, very rarely show down big bluffs, and I know that he cannot call me without the Kh or Qh.

Psyduck posted:

I really dislike the preflop 3-bet and I dislike the tiny flop raise even more because you're so deep. What exactly were you trying to do this hand? Were you trying to slowly build the pot so you can get all your chips in somewhere? This deep you should be trying to get to showdown against a tricky LAG player instead of putting in a ton of chips on this horrible board. Obviously you're bluffing the turn. I just really dislike how the hand was played out as a whole.

Preflop can go either way but with position and him being LAG, I much prefer calling. On the flop, I would make a raise to around $450 or so just instead of the tiny raise INVITING him in with the Kh. On the turn I would muck it very fast, a good player can easily be playing the Kh like this, with a fake blocking bet. If he somehow has the Qh or the Jh obviously you'll get him off it.

Also, this hand is very dependent on whether or not you can rebuy instantly to cover anyone else if you wanted to. Say the bluff gets called but there are still fish with 2-3k. Will you rebuy instantly so you can still play 2000bb pots?

3-betting this player really lets me narrow his range down, but I do call here much more than I 3-bet. Heart or not, he is usually potting the turn if I flatcall, and I expected a much smaller blocking bet or the less likely check on the turn with a smaller raise. In his mind I am never here without Kh (unless he is holding it), and with the 3-bet looks a lot like KxKh or AxKh with my table image (which is what I tried to reinforce with the small raise on the flop.) ... it is hard to translate the information that I have on this player to text without using a bunch of generic labels (and maybe makes the whole hand just read dependent).

I could immediately rebuy for 1k, and the table had a 3-4 huge donators in the game with 600-900, including the owner, who always throws around like 2 buy-ins an hour when he plays. I actually had a poker dream where he was a giant ATM machine.

Results:

Villain tanks and folds QhQs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duffman
Feb 4, 2004
I AM A LIAR
That looks like a tournament hand, and post stuff like stack sizes and whatnot. Anyway, raise preflop at least 3x the big blind. I would put it to like 200-250, and feel really good about this flop after a pot/smooth call. Plus we we have a A :c:. Without any reads I am pushing the flop and expect to see hands like A/10 K/10.

• Locked thread