Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LuckySevens
Feb 16, 2004

fear not failure, fear only the limitations of our dreams

Feel free to discuss NL tactics, or any theory related to NL.

For hands, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE follow these steps so you don't get mocked by your fellow goons.

1) Use a converter, is possible. Converters rule because its easy to read and standardised so not mistakes are present, with one exception; sometimes going all in can screw up the converter. Make sure you re-read the post and ensure the converter did its job properly.

Link: http://www.urmomlol.com/handconverter/hhconverter.cgi

2) Please post stack sizes, how big the pot is in $'s on every street, what limit, and how much you have left if its a river decision. Take the time to use as well, it makes it a lot easier. Don't be afraid to type it out and make it pretty.

3) Reads mean everything. Ok, sometimes it'll be the first orbit, you have no reads. But if you have anything, please post it. Its the only way we can tell you exactly what we'd do.

4) Writing your thinking on the streets also helps with breaking down ideas.

Lets go!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LuckySevens
Feb 16, 2004

blah_blah posted:

Going for a turn checkraise is fine, but letting the turn go c/c is atrocious. You fail to extract extra $ from high spades and low spades, you give 9x essentially a free card here, and more importantly, you drastically decrease the chance that you will stack various hands. How do you expect to get your remaining $30 in the pot when only $9 has gone in up to the turn? If you make it $15 or so on the turn, the pot is like $38 going into the river, you have $20 ish left, and you get his stack almost every time.

I kind of like just betting so that spades think they can outdraw him. The flush is raising the turn anyway, so we're not really trapping money with a c/r.

LuckySevens
Feb 16, 2004

blah_blah posted:

I agree. But this is definitely a scare card and he will bet with some weak hands after you lead pf/lead flop and check turn.

Only if he's agro and likes taking shots.

LuckySevens
Feb 16, 2004

ZoWnX posted:

I have issues with maximum extraction...

http://cakepoker.com/HandHistory/?Hand=xcTHwsTFxcDFwMTExcfAzIjFxsPFwMY%3d

I was going for a check raise on the river, and i thought i was gonna get someone to bet out, based on the turn action. Plus both the villians are very aggro against as i have sat down and started just attacking the table with reraises...

think a bet out on the river.. like 3ish dollars would of been called by one of them? I dont think my hand is dominated in any shape by these two ranges and how they played it, but thats always a reason to check the river.

Critique? I need help learning how to extract maximum with my made hands.

I raise preflop 4 handed.

Bet the turn, checking doesn't build a pot, it will ruin you when it gets checked through and another heart comes on the river.

LuckySevens
Feb 16, 2004

I'm not really familiar with live play that much, but with a straddle, why would you want to raise here with A6s?

Anyway, flop bet looks good, but that is a really easy turn bet, hope you get check-raised and push it in.

LuckySevens
Feb 16, 2004

EC10 posted:

This is sort of interesting because it's full ring and the villain is a goon/therefore not a total idiot like everyone else on cake.

Cake 5/10, 9 handed. A bunch of people have short stacks. Jotun665 (goon) and another guy have 1k and I cover.

Pretty much the only way to play it.

LuckySevens
Feb 16, 2004

blah_blah is right (I didn't read all of the arguement though), I don't get the turn raise. This seems like an optimal spot to get him to bluff again on the river with total crap, does it not?

LuckySevens
Feb 16, 2004

puschel posted:

http://www.pokerhand.org/?826133

Was folding the right decision? No reads, second hand on the table.

Whats with the wimpy flop raise?

LuckySevens
Feb 16, 2004

puschel posted:

What would have been more appropriate?

Let me put it this way, why confine yourself to the problems of limit hold em by making a limit-style raise?

LuckySevens
Feb 16, 2004

souLjah posted:

teach me to play 6max then cause i suck at it lol

Raise every hand pre and 3-bet anything playable. There you go.

LuckySevens
Feb 16, 2004

Hotwire posted:

Stupidly long, unformatted text file here of a session (no converters I could find work with PKR.com)

General Critisism/Critique/compliments are welcome from anyone with the guts to read through the drat thing

http://www.arrakeen.org/Hotwirehand.txt

edit: I'll keep it there, but I'm updating with what I was thinking.

Why not just post key hands that you felt uncomfortable playing?

LuckySevens
Feb 16, 2004

Playing 3 handed against a few tough, but leaky players. One guy has seemed to hit me pretty hard, it might look like to him I'm tilting a little bit, or he could not be noticing at all. Reason is I've been check-pushing draws on flops etc.

***** Hand 538817618 *****
5.00/10.00 Texas Hold'em (No Limit) - Sunday, 18 February 2007 1:04:03 PM
Table TH 739 (Real/Cash Game)
Seat 3: T.BROLIN (1486.00)
Seat 4: SALucky (1161.00)
Seat 5: TheCarbons (1440.25)
T.BROLIN post SB 5.00
SALucky post BB 10.00
** Deal **
T.BROLIN [N/A, N/A]
SALucky [6s, 6c]
TheCarbons [N/A, N/A]
*** Bet Round 1 ***
TheCarbons Call 10.00
T.BROLIN Call 10.00
SALucky Raise to 50.00
TheCarbons Fold
T.BROLIN Call 50.00
*** Flop(Board): *** : [10c, 7d, 7s]
*** Bet Round 2 ***
T.BROLIN Check
SALucky Bet 80.00
T.BROLIN Call 80.00
*** Turn(Board): *** : [10c, 7d, 7s, 9s]
*** Bet Round 3 ***
T.BROLIN Check
SALucky Check
*** River(Board): *** : [10c, 7d, 7s, 9s, 6h]
*** Bet Round 4 ***
T.BROLIN Bet 200.00
SALucky All-in 1031.00

Who likes?

LuckySevens
Feb 16, 2004

Xyven posted:

http://www.pokerhand.org/?835094

villain is hardly great, but isn't retarded. He's been sorta aggressive but I dont think he'd 3bet me preflop with complete air so I think he has some sort of hand preflop. I check to him on the turnbecause if he fires there I think he has a slowplayed AA/KK and I might be able to make myself fold. When he checks through I'm pretty sure he is sitting on JJ and I'm not sure if he'll call a river bet so I check to induce.

I don't get why you'd ever 4-bet with QQ in no limit poker every while any deeper than 70BB, especially 200BB. Its begging to get outplayed.

Given that, rest is ok, a river bet might be good depending how he plays, he might see it as AK, but thats only if he's playing JJ, 99, 88 and calling your preflop 4-bet, which comes back to the entire problem of 4-betting with QQ, its so difficult to put him on a range and exploit him.

LuckySevens
Feb 16, 2004

crackstar posted:

Given the wide 3-bet range of the BB in a blind battle, isn't throwing out the fourth bet fine? I'm thinking of my 3-bet range here and QQ is killing it. Depends on the villain I guess.

I'd prefer to do it with a suited connector though to be honest. Its just that its so hard to extract money postflop, but meh each to their own.

LuckySevens
Feb 16, 2004

This might be kind of intereting, I don't know. I'm trying to adapt to tougher games by 3-barreling at a better frequency, see what you guys thinks

shadow is tricky, seems to like making a few moves post flop, likes trying to call down with pairs, see what you do on each street sort of thing. He's pretty bad at it though, and +ev to have at the table. Who likes? I had been playing pretty tag preflop and folding a lot of turns/flops etc.

***** Hand 539717873 *****
5.00/10.00 Texas Hold'em (No Limit) - Monday, 19 February 2007 5:00:48 PM
Table TH 344 (Real/Cash Game)
Seat 1: ab*CD*ef (995.00)
Seat 3: shadow786 (3178.83)
Seat 4: pago44 (1704.25)
Seat 5: SALucky (1780.00)
shadow786 post SB 5.00
pago44 post BB 10.00
** Deal **
ab*CD*ef [N/A, N/A]
shadow786 [N/A, N/A]
pago44 [N/A, N/A]
SALucky [9s, 10d]
*** Bet Round 1 ***
SALucky Raise to 40.00
ab*CD*ef Fold
shadow786 Call 40.00
pago44 Fold
*** Flop(Board): *** : [5c, 8d, Qs]
*** Bet Round 2 ***
shadow786 Check
SALucky Bet 70.00
shadow786 Call 70.00
*** Turn(Board): *** : [5c, 8d, Qs, Ad]
*** Bet Round 3 ***
shadow786 Check
SALucky Bet 180.00
shadow786 Call 180.00
*** River(Board): *** : [5c, 8d, Qs, Ad, 7c]
*** Bet Round 4 ***
shadow786 Check
SALucky Bet 400.00

LuckySevens
Feb 16, 2004

Xyven posted:

That's horrible, since he doesnt have a draw when he calls a disconnected flop like that and your read on him says that he CALLS A LOT. Why would you bluff someone who calls too much? Wait till you have some sort of hand and take him to value town, don't 3barrel stations on dry boards. poo poo, it's not like the river card is even going to scare him. He called your psb on the turn and nothing changed on the river, why would he fold now?

I think JT is there, and a queen is very firmly in his range to see if I'm full of poo poo. I'm exploiting the fact he calls this turn way to loose, but the strong river bet pretty much says he needs to beat AK to call.

Edit: Also a few random peel hands may have picked up a fd on the turn.

LuckySevens fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Feb 19, 2007

LuckySevens
Feb 16, 2004

Xyven posted:

HE CALLS TOO MUCH SO YOU SHOULD ADJUST BY VALUE BETTING MORE AND BLUFFING LESS. Of course he could have nothing and he might fold this time, but why in God's name would you start 3barreling calling stations. THIS IS BASIC POKER STRATEGY. As it is you're throwing money away, even if he folded this time, because this is a bad play. ONCE AGAIN, VALUE BET CALLING STATIONS, DONT BLUFF THEM.

Yes, we all know the advice we give to new guys who are starting out playing .25/.50 games, save it for someone else. That is too stop them repeatedly spewing. My situation is unique and not a general theory question, but a specific hand where I normally would never do this, hence why I'm posting.

But, even if he obviously peels a little too much, he can still hand read. I mean, so you don't like the second barrel at all? Because I think once we get to the river here, the whole "call too much theory" is sort of bunk, because its obvious I'm playing really really strong here. Guys like this exploit the fact that people don't fire 3 barrels, thats how they don't go broke. They never have to worry about river bets, because TAGs only river bet with the goods. This is the dynamics of the game as I see it. This guy isn't a complete donkey, but he still likes to make too many plays at me and others and tries to be too TV-poker like. I think this guy folds a better hand more than 50% of the time.

Also, is there ever a situation against a guy who peels too many flops, where you'd ever fire 3 barrels after a non-drawy flop? Serious question.

LuckySevens
Feb 16, 2004

Xyven posted:

Then why aren't you following it?

I am, except once, because I thought he was weak and I was strong. Thus why I posted the hand.

LuckySevens
Feb 16, 2004

ManicJason posted:

This has to be a brag post.

This is the problem with any bluff post :(

LuckySevens
Feb 16, 2004

Unamuno posted:

Yeah, yeah, you're a unique snowflake flowerchild or whatever. But 3-barreling calling stations like this is one reason (among many) why I lost a shitload of money on fortune.

I'm still unsure as to where I described him as a calling station, but oh well.

LuckySevens
Feb 16, 2004

albedoa posted:

Why did you post this hand for critique if you were just going to ignore the criticism? This goes back to someone asking you earlier this week if you've ever admitted to being wrong before.

On the other hand, I don't think anyone here expected you to say, "Ah, good point. I shouldn't have tried bluffing a calling station." I guess we're all used to you.

Just look at the next sentence though, how I said "see's what you do on each street kind of player". I don't know if you've seen these guys, but they seem to like calling with marginal stuff on flops just to see how you react to different turn cards, like floating but not as smart or planned. They can be pushed off hands and don't generally pay off rivers though. I'm trying to work on beating these kind of guys for more money, for obvious reasons.

Obviously, I'm going to argue my point, but its always interesting to see what other people think. Xyven's point is more what I'm argueing with, don't bluff calling stations is very true, but this isn't you're run of the mill donator here, these guys are a bit tougher to play.

I'd hate to think where my poker thinking would be if I just posted, see what other people thought, then didn't try and justify my play nor tried to extract greater reasoning out of their heads.

LuckySevens
Feb 16, 2004

bigfatspacko_uk posted:

OK, I started playing NL full ring 2 weeks ago, so I figure it's probably best to start posting in here.

No specific reads on the guy - in 30 hands the only hand that ended up being shown down by him was a flop all-in call with QTo on a Qxx board.

http://www.pokerhand.org/?837688

turbo call

LuckySevens
Feb 16, 2004

EC10 posted:

Nachos brought up the push-turn idea earlier in IRC, and while it does make playing the hand easier (it takes any more tough decision making out of my hands); it also doesn't really serve any other purpose. JC is never folding a better hand (overpair, a 6) to my push.

In hand 2 I have no doubt JC would call with worse to your turn push.

LuckySevens
Feb 16, 2004

Adar posted:

also what are you doing trying to donk each other off pots when people stack off 200 BB with one pair? :P

Yeah haven't you guys heard of set mining, jeez.

LuckySevens
Feb 16, 2004

Problem is, a lot of cards are action killers on the river making him less want to get it in, namely a heart. I'd just make it 3-bets on the turn. He's rarely raise-folding here unless he's on a bluff, then I doubt he'd be betting the river anyway.

LuckySevens
Feb 16, 2004

mandruku posted:

http://www.pokerhand.org/?856301

This is one of the first hands I've played since I've really started to put real thought into my plays and consider everything and not play from emotion..

Did I do the right thing, and was I just unlucky. I had a feeling he had that flush but he seemed pretty keen despite the fact it didn't complete until the river. Should I have gone all-in on the turn to prevent him from risking the river?

Firstly, you shouldn't be playing heads up if you're going to not attack your opponent more. Raise preflop.

Next, bet the flop more, like 3/4 of the pot. Or check-raise the flop. Or, when he raises the flop, at least put in a pot sized 3-bet. Just get the drat money in there. Why are you playing it so weakly?

LuckySevens
Feb 16, 2004

mandruku posted:

I'm still a newbie and I'm having trouble just risking it sometimes. No real excuses. Am getting better though, better than my tryhard-aggressive plays where I'm betting with average hands and getting emotionally involved and going all in with crap and losing, like I have been doing.

Risking? You have trips. He will pay you off with worse hands. That is all you need to know. Get the money in the middle.

LuckySevens
Feb 16, 2004

mandruku posted:

See I'm resonably aware I played this hand pretty weakly, but if I'm positive I've got the buts on the flop, is it ok to play it kinda weakly in order to get some more money out of everybody?

You really really really need to read some poker books. I suggest starting with the Theory of Poker, then moving to No Limit Theory and Practice.

LuckySevens
Feb 16, 2004

mandruku posted:

I don't understand why what I did was so wrong though? The only other contender had a Jack, if I had raised higher he surely would have folded early and I would have made about $0.30 to $0.50 by scaring them off, but in that particular hand I had no reason to be scared of any other possible hand so why not lead them in in? I ended up basically doubling what I put in?

You don't see the exploitability in a strategy that consists of "when I'm strong, play weak"?

LuckySevens
Feb 16, 2004

mandruku posted:

I'm only answering because you asked me. Yeah I see, but that's not my strategy, it's just what I did on that hand. How could I have been exploited in that hand? If I thought there was a reasonable chance of 4th & 5th street ruining my hand then yeah playing weakly would be a weak move, but the way I look at it, I saw better odds of playing weakly and drawing money than playing strong and taking what I could get. I understand it's not "correct" as such.

The problem is, you're letting him off the hook with second best hands. You're much better building a pot early in the hand while you're hand is relativly unknown; everyone plays flops strong if they feel the other is weak. As the hand goes on, it becomes more obvious that he can narrow down your hand range to something strong, and by that stage he can control the pot and see the showdown. And by him controlling the pot, you lose money.

With your strong hands, you should be looking to build the pot early while your range is relatively wide. This is why you need to make bigger bets preflop and on the flop, it gets his money into the pot, forcing him to stay along later in the hand and pay you off with his stack. Thats why I recommended the books, its a fairly core concept, but one that new players who have never read a poker book and play off their instincts commonly make.

LuckySevens
Feb 16, 2004

sofokles posted:

I've got a general question about implied odds.

How do you guys figure them out when up against villains you don't know very well?

Because you can make general statements, like people don't fold top pair when a gutshot straight hits, and people don't fold overpairs on raggy boards.

Tailor this to your opponent.

LuckySevens
Feb 16, 2004

I don't think he has the straight all that often though.

LuckySevens
Feb 16, 2004

Xyven posted:

Melvin looks good if he's aggro enough to lead the river with air, if not I'd much rather bet turn+river to try and get him to call down with some trash. Also why are you apologizing :wtc:

For a hand of my own: http://www.pokerhand.org/?886699

Villain is multitabling on most of the nl400 tables ub has running and seems decent. We haven't really gotten into any hands with each other. No idea what he thinks I play like, but likely he is treating me as a decent unknown right now. First question I have about this hand is my flop call. That is a loving MISERABLE flop for me since he tripped up with most hands he calls a 3bet with. Anybody find a fold here? I figured I'd peel to see if I could catch him screwing around with 66-99. Turn is pretty easy I think, since I don't want him checking through with a set or a heart and there's no more value from a mid-low pair. So on the river should I shove and hope he pays off with a set or check and hope he bluffs?

Such a lovely spot. I kind of like check-calling the turn, I think he's freerolling against you a lot, I'd go for the cheap showdown. I think even an idiot can fold a set here, and maybe you might squeeze out a dumb bluff *shrugs*.

LuckySevens
Feb 16, 2004

solbaid posted:

Live 1/2 at Star City Sydney, I've been rather tight and only shown-down the best hand so far. New guy at the table who's shown to be very loose passive raises to 5 in MP, 4 callers ahead of me, I'm BB with 57o I call the 4 and the flop comes 666, all checked around, turn 4 SB checks I lead for 20 representing a 4x boat, all fold except the initial raiser. At this point I put him on a weak pair and I'm willing to give up unless a 7 river, the river comes the case 6 and I lead for 45, MP calls and shows AJ and I muck.

Am I meant to give up on the river or fire another shot knowing full well unless he has a high card 5 I'm beat at showdown?

This is a train wreck of a hand. Fold pre casino, star city is a rip off, you'll get a better edge playing blackjack in all seriousness. Preflop is probably a fold. On the turn, fold, why are you trying to rep a boat? People never fold full houses, so whats the point? The lead on the river... I know what you're trying to do, but why.

LuckySevens
Feb 16, 2004

crackstar posted:

A beginner is probably better off limping 22 UTG in 6-max than raising, getting a call, and facing a raise of his C-bet on a nondescript board.

Is this joke advice? Sounds like the easiest situation ever in poker.

LuckySevens
Feb 16, 2004

puschel posted:

http://www.pokerhand.org/?961765

Any thoughts?

What are you afraid of? Not much. What will call your flop 3-bet or turn c/r? Probably any one pair ace or diamonds draw. Thats all there is to it. Fold pre too if you're not going to pump this hand. Fold it anyway.

LuckySevens
Feb 16, 2004

Am I ever good here?

http://www.pokerhand.org/?993377

LuckySevens
Feb 16, 2004

Raise it up. Build a pot and commit MP. If you flat call, and a Q/K comes on the turn, it'll kill your action, especially since there's so many in the pot. If you raise, they won't suspect the K hit you as much.

LuckySevens
Feb 16, 2004

Yeah arrg, I hate to put on the hate, but you deserve it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LuckySevens
Feb 16, 2004

coiol posted:

Super weird hand I just played on Cake. PFR is a multitabler who doesn't seem spectacular. Mediocre I'd say. The flop checkraiser is an unknown but I'm thinking he's fairly decent since I haven't noticed anything stupid in about 30 hands.

10-handed 5/10.

One fold, limp in front of me, I limp 44, one fold, PFR pops it to 40, two calls, both blinds call, guy in front calls, I call (Cake Poker :hurr: ).

Family pot, 8 players take a look at 542 rainbow with 320 in the pot.

Checked to me, I check it through, PFR bets 275, folded to BB who shoves 900 total. Raiser and I both have 1400.

Let me put it this way... I'd pay a grand to be in your situation.

• Locked thread