Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rivals
Apr 5, 2004

REBIRTH OF HARDCORE PRIDE!

blah_blah posted:

He doesn't have to have AA (e.g, he can have TT+ as well and play it the same way) and you're getting a great price to try and spike and 8 or 9 and see if he checks the turn.

Yeah, this pf play is going to be a solid hand most of the time against an unknown [from what I've seen at least], and his flop bet is great for you. I don't think the c/r accomplishes much at all, and you are most definitely killed once he shoves. If I added correctly, you are getting like 14:4 to call the flop which is 3.5:1. You have 6 outs that are likely going to stack his overpair pretty often, so I just c/c.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

Morphius22000 posted:

1st hand is pretty read-based, he could be a super-aggro donk with QTo (according to your hands he seems to be), or he could have a set, I wanna see what others have to say here because I'd have trouble too.

2nd I would probably RR more preflop, closer to 2.75 maybe. On the flop it's completely standard, he's short stacked and could do this with ANY pair, put him in.

I agree with you on pretty much both of these. First hand is definitely read dependent, against an unknown I probably sigh and call and make a note. Second one I make it 2.50 to 3 preflop, and flop play is ridiculously standard, especially with his stack size.

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

Most of the postflop play has been covered, but don't open limp preflop. Raise it up to build pots when you flop sets, and to have a chance to take it down on the flop when you miss.

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

faarcyde posted:

http://www.pokerhand.org/?797988

Is my move to transparent here? I never try this sort of thing, and this hand will probably prevent me from ever trying again :(

After he bets flop and turn pretty strong, I think most of the hands he's folding are missed draws, which you beat so there's no point in folding them out. I really don't think he folds that many better hands here so I probably check behind.

EDIT: Also, at NL25, not many people are going to going flopped top pair to one over.

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

Big Poppa posted:

I'm not a big fan of the check in the BB here. You most likely have the best hand here, and you aren't in position.

Raising preflop here sucks for the exact reason you gave. You are OOP, they likely aren't folding here enough to make it worth your while. Check and see a flop.

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

What was EP's action?

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

mandruku posted:

maybe I raised too weakly pre-flop

Yeah, you should get in the habit of raising to higher amounts preflop when you reraise. I tend to make it 3-4x what they made it. Since their raise here was already pretty sizeable, I'd make it like $0.90 - $1.

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

Deltron 3030 posted:

Is just calling the river weak?

Yes, you are ahead a ton here. If I check that river, I'd probably c/rai. Sets = nuts. I don't see him having a higher set here unless he got there with JJ somehow, as I think most higher sets are raising the turn [esp since he's somewhat agg]. The only non set hand that got there is T9 which I don't really think he has here.

Edit: I don't mind your overall line at all here. I will c/c, lead turn with sets somewhat often. Given the texture of the board, he will likely bet his missed draws here so your river check will pick up value from those [but lose value from one pair type hands that check behind]. Also if he's at least somewhat agg he'll bet most two pairs on the end and your c/c misses value from those.

EDIT2: Oh, 65 got there too, also unlikely though.

rivals fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Feb 28, 2007

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

albedoa posted:

Not if someone else gets this donk's money. You are passing up so much value if you fold here.

Not only that, but we're still more or less flipping even if our J is dominated or reverse dominated [which btw, I think we're reverse dominated here a ton]. Call, hit flush, ship bux.

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

kalensc posted:

I'm a bankroll nit, not a "committed to a chart of good poker hands" nit, you silly goose. :)

A nit is a nit is a nit, okay?

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

It's cake.. I get it in without thinking twice about it.

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

tightshirt posted:

Much less of a coinflip if the other person has an A or K

I know the math is a bit different, but assuming equal stacks you are still flipping because your equity is right around 33%.

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

Fold preflop, get it in there.

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

I prefer calling turn/reasonable river bet if you don't think he has it. This is of course unless you think he'll fold like T:h: and below.

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

For future reference, there's a SNG/MTT thread for tournies. Raise preflop for sure. Raise flop. As played I can't really see folding turn or river because you are getting ridiculous odds, but you are beaten almost always.

EDIT: Guess the hand was answered/deleted before I posted.

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

Yeah, as has been said, lead flop and hope you can b/3b ai. Take advantage of your image.

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

Raise preflop to build a pot when you flop a set. Rest of the hand looks standard.

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

Make your 3b pf a bit smaller, in the .30 - .35ish range. The call is fine, almost half your stack is in there so you're getting great odds, and they have worse hands pretty often. Don't post results.

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

Biggy_ posted:

http://cakepoker.com/HandHistory/?Hand=xcXFxcTFxcbNwcTExMPHx4jFx8bGzcY%3d

Is this a too weak of a call from me? It wasn't really that much money, just not sure how I played it.

The only reason I called the big preflop raise is because I caught him twice in 10 minutes raising to $1 with K8o and Q2o in lovely positions.

We can't see your hand.

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

Biggy_ posted:

Oops. I had A9.

If you're going to raise as a bluff on the flop, make it bigger, he's not folding anything to the raise you made. As played even though you're getting good odds, fold to the 3b. You have no idea how clean any of your outs are and as such you are put in horrible spots on later streets always. Not a huge fan of the river call unless you think he does this as a bluff, there aren't many aces you beat. And fold preflop.

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

Pizzlefish posted:

And crop off everything after ****SHOWDOWN**** so we can give you our reads on what is going on in the hand without being skewed by the results.

I'd take it one step further and crop off everything after the decision in the hand you are unsure on. Seeing how the villain reacts to a bet or raise can often skew discussion as well.

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

In the AJo hand I might fold preflop because I don't really enjoy playing AJo multiway, but postflop is fine.

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

Bet more on turn, put him in on river. You have an overpair and he's shown no aggression, let him call you down with his random pair.

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

EL Bombastico posted:

did my checking on the turn give my hand away?

You are in position here, and as such you never checked the turn.. That said I think you can find a fold to the flop 3b against an unknown. I think you are drawing pretty slim way more than you are ahead.

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

Fold preflop. A low offsuit connector is NOT going to "flop big" often enough to make up for the fact that you are oop against a "decent" player [rereading your post it seems he's partially unknown, which still sucks]. I don't like leading the flop, he's not folding much you beat and you are getting raised by almost all of his hands that he's continuing this [he's not going to smooth call this flop with an overpair]. I think the flop call is meh. If you know he'll stack off almost all the time if you hit on turn then it's okay, but I still hate playing this OOP here. He's probably not raising you on this flop to shut down on turn because it's so drawy, so I guess that's okay for your implieds. As played the push sucks, I don't think he's raise/folding much on a board that's this drawy. Also if you want to bluff, you should do it after the draw comes in, not before [and even then, I wouldn't do it against what is mostly an unknown here].

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

Yeah, looks completely standard.

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

odiv posted:

Is that just how it is at poker.com?

No, he messed up the action.

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

Ranma4703 posted:

Hand here

Flop raise because I read the half pot as a feeler bet with KK/QQ/JJ, and I was hoping to make him drop it, and then after that I had odds. I think. Did I screw up?

Without reads I think the flop raise is spew.. I'm too lazy to do the math right now but I think calling the 3b is close because you probably need your 9 and 7 outs to be good a large portion of the time, which again, against an unknown they probably aren't.

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

darkeye posted:

How about this situation I had tonight.

NL4, I'm in LP with KK. I raise to .50, folds to my right who calls. Flop comes KT9 all spades. He bets 1.

What do you do?

Assuming $4 stacks I shove..

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

You don't really have the implied odds needed to call the 4bet unless you stack both of them. I think it's a fold.

rivals fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Jul 16, 2007

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

Eratik posted:

Not sure why you think this is a raise or fold situation.

I think he meant raise and fold to a shove.

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

perfmode posted:

Call or fold?

perfmode posted:

I wasn't debating whether he should fold or not.

What?

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

Cbet the flop, river push is fine, you get paid by like any 8 because it's cake.

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

blah_blah posted:

I agree with this. In my experience people call super light on high paired boards in general.

This is my inclination as well. I think most donkeys think THERE ARE TWO ON THE BOARD HE CAN'T POSSIBLY HAVE ONE NOW!

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

It looks like you're getting like 350:250 or so, and you are probably drawing to 9 outs a lot, but whatever. I call.

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

blah_blah posted:

I probably fold getting 350:250; I need 42% equity and like, the only hands that I have that much equity against are the two pair hands that I suspect aren't even in his range here.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking is that his range is probably QJ, TT, 99 and maybe KT, K9, T9s[?] with the 2pr hands given less weight which kindof sucks.

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

perfmode posted:

http://www.pokerhand.org/?1349391

With his RR pre-flop, I should have probably let this go on the flop.

I just c/f flop as a default here without a read. If you are going to try anything else, lead flop and shut down to resistance.

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

perfmode posted:

I see how a check-raise is a better idea than betting outright in this situation. The C/R is much more threatening, and overcards will still call an outright bet to see if I'll fire another shot.

I have a couple questions.
What do you mean by "paint"? Do you mean two suited cards on the flop?
Could you define floating for me? I think I know what that is but I'm not 100% sure.

Paint is any face card and floating is calling a flop bet in position typically without much of a hand so that you can steal the pot when checked to on the turn.

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

Shove flop, looks like he has right around a PSB behind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

Strong Sauce posted:

The fact that three people say call just boggles my mind :psyduck:.

Call is pretty much the last thing on my mind here and is probably the worst thing I can do.

Since you think this is push/fold then isn't it basically a loving math problem that you can figure out in five minutes with pokerstove and a few ranges?

• Locked thread