Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
albedoa
May 3, 2004

faarcyde posted:

No; we ; are; the; web; site; is; two; plus; two; dot; com; right?

Okay, link us to a thread where the consensus seriously advocates what you are saying.

Semicolon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

albedoa
May 3, 2004

Look at it from the other side. As someone who almost always c-bets heads up, I find it difficult to adjust to players who float 75%+ of my c-bets. I find it easier to deal with raisers and (obviously) folders. It takes some tweaking before I get used a player at my table who floats in position all the time. If this guy c-bets frequently and is like me, why not check out how he reacts to a call? This is read-dependent for me.

I like reraising AQs preflop there usually, also based on reads.

albedoa
May 3, 2004

It was a brag. Nice hand.

albedoa
May 3, 2004

I mean, the way he played the rest of the hand, I am not surprised he got most of his money in with the worst hand. 'Sall I'm sayin. I don't think he was thinking about any of what you said. Weighted ranges? Does this look like a guy who thinks about weighted ranges? :)

albedoa
May 3, 2004

LuckySevens posted:

I'm still unsure as to where I described him as a calling station, but oh well.

LuckySevens posted:

shadow...likes trying to call down with pairs

Why did you post this hand for critique if you were just going to ignore the criticism? This goes back to someone asking you earlier this week if you've ever admitted to being wrong before.

On the other hand, I don't think anyone here expected you to say, "Ah, good point. I shouldn't have tried bluffing a calling station." I guess we're all used to you.

albedoa
May 3, 2004

LuckySevens posted:

Just look at the next sentence though, how I said "see's what you do on each street kind of player".

You were unsure of where you described him as a station. I was just showing ya.

albedoa
May 3, 2004

I'd keep raising the flop because of the likeliness that someone hit a big second-best hand. Turns out the money was probably getting in anyway whether you waited or not. Nice hand, sucky luck.

Remember: Win big pots fast.

albedoa
May 3, 2004

MelvinTheJerk posted:

It's easier to bet than it is to call.

That's why villain shoved. He doesn't know what to do, and so he is making it easy on himself and ending his action for the rest of the hand. That move is horrible whether he has trash or a monster, but it's the only way he knows how to play either.

Now call and ship the bux.

Edit: Remember, we are trying to figure out how good we are against his range, not each individual possible holding. A villain who pushes a set here is likely pushing straight and flush draws as well because he's retarded. I call without thinking twice about it.

albedoa fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Mar 14, 2007

albedoa
May 3, 2004

MelvinTheJerk posted:

That's what I said, the only difference is that I said I would fold the first time and the next time he pulled that on me, I catch him.

The thing is, you might not have a similar opportunity like this. Both the strength of your hand and the possibility that his money will go elsewhere before you can get it put more weight on a call.

MelvinTheJerk posted:

That's rough, but it's also why I would have folded.

Results-oriented.

albedoa
May 3, 2004

Not if someone else gets this donk's money. You are passing up so much value if you fold here.

albedoa
May 3, 2004

MelvinTheJerk posted:

Then we just have two different styles. I won't get involved with a weird move like that on my first play against the guy unless I have the nuts.

Jesus. Christ. :psyduck:

You're right, we have different styles.

albedoa
May 3, 2004

Edit: Nevermind. Dissection over.

albedoa fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Mar 14, 2007

albedoa
May 3, 2004

MelvinTheJerk posted:

I understand that, and I still say that it's too close for me to call. Does that make me a bad player? I don't know, you tell me. I'll say this though: I wouldn't have lost $96 after making a $4 bet.

Of course you wouldn't have lost it, because you wouldn't have put it in the middle. We're not idiots, Melvin. We know that you can't lose what you don't bet. That's not the point.

albedoa
May 3, 2004

faarcyde posted:

I don't have any advice but I would like to see results out of curiousity. 95 times out of a hundred I would say you are beat here.

I'd say you're beat 80-85% of the time AFTER he calls, most likely by two pair that fears a straight, and only because he's described as in-line and decent. I wouldn't be too surprised by JJ, KK, AQ, or even ATs or JJ a few times. Can you tell us why you chose this line?

albedoa
May 3, 2004

I have a couple of similar hands I'd like to share. The first one I believe to be standard:

http://www.pokerhand.org/?951620

My 4-bet preflop left the players with 71BB and 61BB in a 117BB pot. A heads up hand may have been a better result, but I am still glowing here.

The next hand is a little different:

http://www.pokerhand.org/?951637

I 3-bet preflop OOP, and then I overbet shoved 83BB into a 52BB pot with about equal stacks all around. This table was crazy, and these two players in particular would snap call with top pair (regardless of kicker) and most draws. My logic was that I'm going broke here anyway if anyone else bets, so I'd like to look desparate and shove before they can act.

Any comments? Do you like or hate the second hand?

Also, I don't understand why you can sometimes put only a partial hand into PokerHand like the first hand in this post, but other times it gives an invalid hand error. What's the trick?

albedoa fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Mar 30, 2007

albedoa
May 3, 2004

faarcyde posted:

No, you don't understand. He is 2+2.

Are you saying deader's opinion on the subject can't be different?

albedoa
May 3, 2004

I think there is a tournament thread somewhere.

Anyway, both you and Spock played this hand correctly. There isn't much to analyze here because you are so short and you both have playable cards. You just got unlucky.

I do love how they auto-folded the all-in big blind though. :)

albedoa
May 3, 2004

Arrg posted:

Thanks. I bought Inside the Poker Mind and am almost done with reading it. I'm told it's not a good book for starters however, and today is payday so tommrow morning I'm going to go pick up HoH1. Sorry about the wrong thread as well.

Hope the replies don't scare you away. It's awesome that you're taking the initiative, so keep it up and don't be afraid to ask questions (in the appropriate threads:)).

albedoa
May 3, 2004

Nevermind, misread.

albedoa
May 3, 2004

AR posted:

yeah I'm a masochist give it to me.

His comment wasn't for your benefit.

albedoa
May 3, 2004

Spechel EDD posted:

its played fine and very standard

You think preflop is standard?

You think the flop is standard?

albedoa
May 3, 2004

Knightmare: You are missing a ton of value if you habitually check through here. This is a weak queen or possibly a mid pair like 99-55 or 54s if they are brave trying to get a cheap showdown. I've seen even ace high call a bet here too many times. The river check is just one more sign of weakness. You shouldn't be afraid until he actually raises you, which won't be nearly as often as you assume. You beat so many hands that will call a bet.

Also, the amount of time it takes him to check on the river can be a clue, though it usually doesn't affect my decision to bet because sometimes people think about betting the scare card but chicken out, and others just know that taking a long time before checking can induce a check from you. Just bet. :)

albedoa fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Jul 23, 2007

albedoa
May 3, 2004

I fire a second barrel with AK on that board almost every time. Fold equity coupled with the chances of your hand still being the best makes it +EV. I also agree with checking AA there often and betting versus calling stations or shorties.

albedoa
May 3, 2004

http://www.pokerhand.org/?1388703

Did I play this okay? I flopped the double gutter on the flop, and was kind of thrown off by the shorty on my left. Then was given 2.5:1 to call the turn with the chance of a $10 overcall by the shorty and some implied odds on top of that. Not to mention I paired my top card, which obviously gives me only two extra outs at most.

No reads, really.

albedoa
May 3, 2004

Ranma: I want to comment on these two hands, but you aren't following guideline #2 as stated in the OP. We have no idea what a raise to $2.5 means or if a donk bet of $4 into a minraiser is extreme or if you have any money left behind in hand #1 after your turn bet.

Edit: A few of us in #poker are wondering what SPR means.

albedoa fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Sep 6, 2007

albedoa
May 3, 2004

ultimatemike posted:

Stack to Pot Ratio. It's the ratio of you remaining stack after all preflop action to the size of the pot.

It's discussed in Professional No Limit Hold 'em.

Well then that's pretty funny considering there was no mention of stack sizes in that hand.

albedoa
May 3, 2004

I think what bbc is trying to say is stop loving doing that.

albedoa
May 3, 2004

http://www.pokerhand.org/?1602429

Okay, Villain here is a 41/26/1.86 over a sample of 149 hands. He has vocally been getting frustrated by my 3-betting, which I do a lot. His frustration shortly turned into 4-betting. The first time he 4-bet in position, and this is the second time. I really don't think that he thinks I have a hand given the frequency of my 3-bets. I folded to his 4-bet the first time.

So, how awful is my line here? Please notice we are about 190BB deep and he has $21.25 behind after his bet. My FE is almost nonexistent here I think, meaning I am shoving almost completely for value, and therefore making this a pretty sloppy move, right?

albedoa fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Oct 19, 2007

albedoa
May 3, 2004

Bhaal posted:

My guess is you just freerolled AK :D

I pushed, he folded and said "sigh". I think I got under his skin enough to make him 4-bet something like 66 or another AK or KQ combo and follow through on any flop. So apparently I did have FE. I was honestly expecting a call from AA-TT.

albedoa fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Oct 19, 2007

albedoa
May 3, 2004

I was running at 30/24 at that table, and since he was directly on my right and raising from CO a lot, it looked like I was picking on him because I was restealing my button and defending my blinds. Also, other players weren't raising a lot. So basically everything that could have made it look like I was picking on him was happening. You can see from my stack that I was running the table over.

To clarify, you're saying that a 5-bet shove is ridiculous, correct? I was comfortable calling his 4-bet and taking a look at the flop. Most A-high and K-high flops and hearts such as this one would have seen my money getting in the middle.

blah_blah posted:

Basically hand is played perfectly.

Thank you. :)

albedoa
May 3, 2004

MoGurt posted:

Despite prior insanity, I have an honest question.

I really have no problem saying that I think it's pretty loving despicable of you to have abandoned a thread that you created here without answering any of our questions only to come back from your hiatus looking for help.

That's not to mention the other thread you abandoned in GBS. Who do you think you are?

albedoa
May 3, 2004

This hand is completely standard. Nicely done.

quote:

Mulman's check indicates either a slowplay or nothing

Players will often check to the preflop raiser no matter how hard they hit. You're correct that he checked because he is either slowplaying or he missed, but more accurately he checked because you were the preflop aggressor.

When he minraises you on the flop, he has $2.88 left in a $5.50 pot. The money is obviously going in, but whether you wait for the turn or not barely matters here cause he is so short. If he is capable of getting away from hands in which he is already committed, then waiting to let him bluff the rest on the turn is fine. You're either way ahead or way behind. The two diamonds on the flop might change this to a flop push, but it still barely matters since he's probably getting the rest in on the turn no matter what falls.

Nice hand.

albedoa fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Nov 17, 2007

albedoa
May 3, 2004

Easy value bet. Also, bet more on the turn.

albedoa
May 3, 2004

You need to clarify who was in the hand. You and the converter both initially say SB, then the converter takes SB out of the hand postflop and throws the BB in there. I was about to comment on your play, but now I'm all confused.

albedoa
May 3, 2004

First hand is perfect. You can fold to a push on the flop.

Second hand, I usually 3-bet 99 even against 60BB. I see your turn raise as very -EV, as his calling range includes mostly things that beat you and strong draws. He's been the aggressor on all three streets.

Your hand converter absolutely loving sucks still.

albedoa
May 3, 2004

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

3) 6-handed at yet a third table. I have been raising with impunity and have made $60 at this table raising and c-betting. Folded to me in cutoff, I hold 8:c:9:d: with $159 in chips. I raise to $4. Button calls, BB calls ($60).

Flop comes 2:d: 3:d: Q:d:. BB checks, I bet $10. Button folds, BB calls.

Turn comes 7:d:. BB pushes $46. I beat four flushes and lose to four so I decide to call, thinking this open push is more unlikely versus the A or K flush.

Can we assume you hit some sort of flush here?

albedoa
May 3, 2004

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

I had 9:d: per my post which makes the Q9723:d: flush. I guess I don't understand the question. If you're asking if it's safe to assume opponent holds a flush - I think it's pretty likely although I think the huge leadout is not consistent with a big flush and is either a small flush or perhaps a bluff trying to fold out a weak flush.

Oh my, the little suit graphics don't show up at my workplace. Sorry about that.

albedoa
May 3, 2004

http://www.pokerhand.org/?2142688

No reads on Villain. I just sat at a few tables with him and doubled up in a few hands on this one without seeing him do anything special. Am I playing AKo correctly here with these stacks? Say he makes the same $13 bet on an ace- or king-high flop. I'd most likely be tying AKo and beating nothing, so what am I hoping for? Help.

albedoa
May 3, 2004

Can you explain your preflop and flop actions? I don't understand either of them, even after reading your post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

albedoa
May 3, 2004

I still don't get it. Why do you consider your hand a draw, and why are you afraid of STRYKER1's potential draws? I am really confused.

• Locked thread