Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JesusLovesRonwell
Aug 12, 2004

I want to touch my Rosalina-sama all over~

<3<3<3
How does one get good at NLH?

I'm fairly new to the game; I've been playing for a little over a year. In that time I've read: Super System, Phil Gordon's Little Green Book, The Theory of Poker, Harrington on Hold'em Tournaments Vol. 1/Cash Games Vol.1. TBH, I didn't take much from the books, largely because I just didn't understand NLH very well (I still don't). (I'm starting too re-read them, and am understanding more, but a lot goes over my head.) I can consistently cash in my friends home game, but my online results have been mixed with big fluctuations (I play on Bovada). I don't multi-table and I play Micro stakes, $1 and 3$ Sit and Goes. I would describe myself as a TAG/TP player.

About two weeks ago I turned $20 into $68 on Bovada, from (I thought) playing semi-well (mostly Tight/Passive, but Aggro with my good hands) making some unconventional moves here and there, and getting lucky when I needed to. Anyway, over the last two weeks I lost the $68. Other than some obvious mistakes, I didn't really change my game. I would lose, lose, win to break even, then lose, lose, lose, win, etc.

As far as where I'm at right now I'd say I'm mostly playing just to play and see cards/hands, without much analysis during or post game. However, I am able to spot some of my mistakes here and there, as well as putting players on specific hands/ hand ranges at times.

Some attainable, near term goals of mine would be to start multi tabling and start being more aggro/loose overall (stealing dead money more/more consistently; floating more effectively, etc.)

Any other books you guys recommend? Online resources? Methods for improving? Any advice at all for a total scrub/donkey?

I want to get good. I'm willing to put in the work, but I need a little direction. Most of the advice I've gotten from friends who know a little more than I do (but no where near as much as many/most of you, based on several pages of this thread I've read) say I'm too passive and not aggressive enough, and I would agree with them; I get I can't always just chill and wait for the best hands, but I really struggle with being aggressive or am mostly unable to recognize when I should make those moves.

I'd really appreciate your help. Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread