Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EC10
Jan 17, 2005

We like Nin-po-po
We like Nin-po-po
We like Nin-po-po
We like NIN---PO!
This is sort of interesting because it's full ring and the villain is a goon/therefore not a total idiot like everyone else on cake.

Cake 5/10, 9 handed. A bunch of people have short stacks. Jotun665 (goon) and another guy have 1k and I cover.

Jotun is TAG and usually pretty nitty but adjusts to cake morons by ocassionally calling down light (sometimes too light against regulars).

3 folds
4th and 5th position limp
Jotun in the CO makes it $55
random who has $455 to start the hand cold calls on the button
SB folds

I make it $200 total from the BB with Q:h: Q:c:
Jotun calls

flop 7:h:6:d:6:s:

The pot is ~$480 and Jotun has $785 behind.

Now what?

What do you think his range is for cold calling my 3bet? Does he do it with AA/KK? Will he call an open push with JJ or TT? Does he bet if checked to with any two cards he called PF with?

What I did: I check raised his $300 bet all in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EC10
Jan 17, 2005

We like Nin-po-po
We like Nin-po-po
We like Nin-po-po
We like NIN---PO!

faarcyde posted:

This is basically every advice thread on 2+2, and every response I see is bet pot (maybe a little more) and if he comes over the top then fold. I would be inclined to agree because I don't think someone is going to try and push with JJ, TT or 99. However, you are on Cake so who freaking knows :downs:

bet-folding here is horrible because of stack sizes and pot size. if i bet pot and then fold, i'll be folding getting over 4:1 which is awful.

EC10
Jan 17, 2005

We like Nin-po-po
We like Nin-po-po
We like Nin-po-po
We like NIN---PO!
That hand isn't the same, at all. There's pretty much nothing similar about the two hands except that they both involve the OP having QQ.

Anyway Jotun called my crai with the two other queens.

EC10
Jan 17, 2005

We like Nin-po-po
We like Nin-po-po
We like Nin-po-po
We like NIN---PO!

Psyduck posted:

edit: I really wanna know EC10's thought process behind the check. Would Jotun be more willing to stack off with say JJ,TT,99 on the turn if you check the flop?
To be entirely honest in the moment my thought process was: "gently caress, Jotun's a huge nit. Is he calling me pf to trap? I'm gonna check incase he's got AA/KK. I wish I was playing 6max. oh he bet? mehh gently caress it I've got an overpair ARRR IN"

EC10
Jan 17, 2005

We like Nin-po-po
We like Nin-po-po
We like Nin-po-po
We like NIN---PO!

Fat Turkey posted:

This seems fine. You picked up on weakness, but he still might have the best hand, so you "bluffed" with what may be the best hand.

EC10
Jan 17, 2005

We like Nin-po-po
We like Nin-po-po
We like Nin-po-po
We like NIN---PO!
blah_blah, what stakes do you play and how long/how many hands have you been playing them?

EC10
Jan 17, 2005

We like Nin-po-po
We like Nin-po-po
We like Nin-po-po
We like NIN---PO!

souLjah posted:

thats what i thought...then i realized i was on cake lol

you started the hand with 50 bb's, you flopped a J, theres broadway cards on the flop, its cake poker, and you folded at some point?

:psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck:

EC10
Jan 17, 2005

We like Nin-po-po
We like Nin-po-po
We like Nin-po-po
We like NIN---PO!

souLjah posted:

http://cakepoker.com/HandHistory/?Hand=xcTAwsTFxcfCxsTExMbDxIjFwcPFwM0%3d

im puzzled by this play...is he betting 2pair or a set? or the nuts? im not sure how to react to that bet...do i call and see what he does on the turn? provided a blank hits..1/2 pot..do i call or bump it? pot bet again im pretty sure i would fold..any thoughts would be appreciated

i had KK and keep in mind this is cake lol

wow this BLOWS (the situation, not your fold). i actually don't mind your fold. once you see that many callers pre you're almost playing your KK for set value.

avoid this problem by not playing full ring! :)

EC10
Jan 17, 2005

We like Nin-po-po
We like Nin-po-po
We like Nin-po-po
We like NIN---PO!

toybux posted:

Call or fold?

PS: The flop was moronic, I know, but let's not talk about that here. I am more interested in discussion of the turn.

folding is gross.

EC10
Jan 17, 2005

We like Nin-po-po
We like Nin-po-po
We like Nin-po-po
We like NIN---PO!
I'm going to post two very interesting (IMO) hands that I played yesterday at 10/20 NL vs JCarver on cake. They were among the toughest decisions I've had to make on Cake so far and left me feeling like I really should avoid playing pots with JC even if I have position on him.

First one:

JCarver, as you all know, is a tough LAG who definitely keeps up the pressure. In my experience with him when he has a marginal hand he is usually doing more calling and practicing more pot control rather than betting out and putting opponents to big decisions. But he also obviously isn't afraid of making big moves if he feels the timing is right.

I'm not really sure what his image of me is. Nachos said he probably thinks of the goons who play HSNL with him as "thinking stations" (a term JC used to describe Unamuno once) which I guess means a thinking player who can be a calling station but can also think themselves into big folds. I think that description fits me pretty well.

As for the table dynamic at the time, I had been fairly active but not too laggy. Two big pots I played were against a fish to JC's right who I was at the table for. I hadn't been very aggressive post flop for the most part, as a lot of my cbets had been taking it down. This was my first HU pot with JC that went past the flop iirc.

In retrospect my flop bet was definitely too small. It's $100 into a $190 pot -- should have made it $120-140 at least. But the short stack only has like $600 left, which may have been my reasoning at the time. JC probably noticed the bet was small.

6 handed
JC in the Big Blind $2,285.00
me UTG+1 $3,003.25
donk shortack in the CO $659.00 - cold calls like 80% of my raises PF (usually trash but also caught him doing it with KK)

UTG folds, I raise to 60 with A:h: J:c:, CO calls, Button and SB fold, JC calls

Flop A:c: Q:s: 3:d:

JC checks, I bet $100, CO folds, JC calls

Turn 7:c:

JC bets $250 into a $390 pot

I really wasn't expecting this. The board is dry, so I couldn't think of any draws out and I was thinking about checking behind his turn check for pot control. Then he bets out and takes that option away from me :( I was definitely considering folding here as the board is dry and I couldn't think of many hands I was ahead of that would be flat calling the flop and then leading out like this. I call though to re-evaluate the river.

River 2:h:

JC bets $686 into a $890 pot

So what do we put him on here? Call or fold?

EC10
Jan 17, 2005

We like Nin-po-po
We like Nin-po-po
We like Nin-po-po
We like NIN---PO!
I think JC calls more with AQ/AK OOP in this spot than he does RR PF.

and crackstar, imo the "raise and fold to a push" line usually doesn't work the way you want it to against good players (especially LAGs).

and as far as my range, im pretty sure my hand is face up to JC by the river.

\/ coming later

EC10 fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Feb 17, 2007

EC10
Jan 17, 2005

We like Nin-po-po
We like Nin-po-po
We like Nin-po-po
We like NIN---PO!
for the record, I said both hands are played in a standard way and neither are really worthy of discussion. pushing the flop instead of just calling is ok too, whatever. as long as youll be pushing any turn when you call, the overcaller isnt getting odds with a FD or an OESD.

EC10
Jan 17, 2005

We like Nin-po-po
We like Nin-po-po
We like Nin-po-po
We like NIN---PO!
Results on hand 1 vs JC at NL 2K: He had 54o, for the flopped gutty and turned double gutter that got there on the river. I folded river but he told me that's what he had later.

Hand 2 from playing vs JC at nl 2k. See my post halfway down on page 4 for details I gave on his image, my image, the table dyanmic etc.

The most important decision here is the turn. I want you to decide if we should call turn, and if you say yes: then do we call a bet (probably pot sized shove) on the following rivers:

7:h: 2:d: A:d: K:s: 5:c:

game is now 5 handed.

JCarver - UTG ($2,938)
Me - CO/UTG+1 ($2,343)
super short stack on the BTN ($160)
donk aggro fish in the BB who will felt flopped top pair 100% of the time ($2,080)
Bulldozer in SB ($1,946)

JC raises utg to $70
I call with Q:s: 9:s:
Button, SB fold
BB calls

Flop 6:s: 6:h: 7:s: Pot: $220

BB checks, JC bets $140, I call, BB calls

Turn Q:d: Pot: $640

BB checks, JC bets $500, I ?

EC10 fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Feb 19, 2007

EC10
Jan 17, 2005

We like Nin-po-po
We like Nin-po-po
We like Nin-po-po
We like NIN---PO!

crackstar posted:

Thoughts?

Nachos brought up the push-turn idea earlier in IRC, and while it does make playing the hand easier (it takes any more tough decision making out of my hands); it also doesn't really serve any other purpose. JC is never folding a better hand (overpair, a 6) to my push.

EC10
Jan 17, 2005

We like Nin-po-po
We like Nin-po-po
We like Nin-po-po
We like NIN---PO!

Psyduck posted:

One last comment I swear: Alex, you "accidentally" made the right play in hand one against JC's 54o. I'm reasonably certain that JC is betting $689 whatever the river is.
Yeah, I know/agree. Like I said I very nearly folded the turn in that hand.

I also agree with your last few points about the frequency of his bluffing and especially the river if he fires again. Now that we've had time to analyze the hand and think about it I'd probably play it different, but in the moment I called the turn because "OMG TOP PAIR TO GO WITH MY FD!"

Crackstar is probably right that whatever I do it's going to be hard to play this turn/river profitably.

Definitely some interesting discussion produced from these hands, but I should note that a lot of you are completely off on JC's range and general assumptions about his play (i.e. that he 3bets AQ/AK most of the time in hand 1).

I called the turn in this hand, the BB folded, and JC checked the 7 river.

JC had J:h:T:h:

EC10
Jan 17, 2005

We like Nin-po-po
We like Nin-po-po
We like Nin-po-po
We like NIN---PO!

Adar posted:

I won't comment on hand 1 publicly but PF in hand 2 is really bad. It's not even calling with relative trash; it's the shortstack behind you that's the problem. It's a very basic mistake that costs people way more money on Cake than anywhere else, because shortstacks are so much more common.

PF and turn kinda go together though...if the shortie doesn't exist and you call, you're calling exactly because he's so aggro that you are fine calling off lots of chips with top pair there (which happens to be true against JC in that spot :P)

also what are you doing trying to donk each other off pots when people stack off 200 BB with one pair? :P

you're such a nit. Q9s is a fine hand :)

and although id rather not play pots with jc it's not as if the very thought of it suddenly turns me into captain nittypants.

EC10
Jan 17, 2005

We like Nin-po-po
We like Nin-po-po
We like Nin-po-po
We like NIN---PO!
Looks good, except I'd shove river for value barring some sort of extra nitty read on the opponent.

EC10
Jan 17, 2005

We like Nin-po-po
We like Nin-po-po
We like Nin-po-po
We like NIN---PO!
id bet turn, but as played im calling river

EC10
Jan 17, 2005

We like Nin-po-po
We like Nin-po-po
We like Nin-po-po
We like NIN---PO!
Xpost from 2p2 msnl:

Villain (DONK79 on cake) doesn't get out of line too much. Only seen him bluff the river with 6 high on an Ace high board after he raised the turn in a limped pot with an OESFD that bricked. Doesn't seem like he reads other peoples hands much, but rather just plays his own. Sometimes limps and folds to a 4x raise with 100bb+ stacks. Our only encounter has been when he opened the SB to $30 and I called with 64s and $2k effective stacks. Flop A25r, he bets like half pot and I call, hit my 3 on the turn and he check-calls 3/4th pot bets on the turn and blank river with AK.

Thoughts on the turn check? Standard? Meh? 50/50?

I remember thinking at the time that this was the first time I'd seen him raise to $40, and that it was usually $30 or $35.

Effective $1200, 6 handed

Villain opens UTG to $40, Hero calls (button) with 9:h: 9:c:, heads up to the flop.

Flop K:s: T:s: 9:d: Pot: $95

Villain bets $68, I raise to $285, villain calls pretty quick (<3 seconds)

Turn J:d:

Villain checks, I check

River 4:h: Pot: $665

Villain bets $665

EC10
Jan 17, 2005

We like Nin-po-po
We like Nin-po-po
We like Nin-po-po
We like NIN---PO!
I did fold the 99 set hand. Meh. Still not sure if betting turn is better there.

EC10
Jan 17, 2005

We like Nin-po-po
We like Nin-po-po
We like Nin-po-po
We like NIN---PO!
Yeah this hand was definitely opponent dependant which is why I included that description at the beginning.

I think betting the turn is the "easy" way to play the hand, because obv you're calling a push and if he has a straight you can just say "oh well I have a set I hope the board pairs, variance etc!"

Against someone more aggro and potbet-prone (for example, Bulldozer or alchemist on cake) I'd be turbo calling river. The fold was definitely read dependant. His passive play with AK in that blind v blind pot says a lot about him, etc.

EC10
Jan 17, 2005

We like Nin-po-po
We like Nin-po-po
We like Nin-po-po
We like NIN---PO!
xpost from MSNL

Been playing with villain (hijackowi65 on cake) a ton over the past week or so. He calls PF with a HUGE range both in pos/OOP. He floats me more than anyone has ever before. In position, OOP, no pair no draw, whatever. But he also just calls with draws and [censored]. Since we've been playing short handed a lot we've tangled a ton. I've pwned him a few times calling pot bets and [censored] on the river with ace high or underpairs etc.

He doesn't check raise a lot so this is sort of a weird spot I guess.

Should I just shove over his c/r? Flat call and shove non-heart non-straight card rivers? I obviously [censored] up the turn by not putting another bet in and thus putting myself in awkward river spot.

Note that the river bet is like 1/3 pot which is quite strange since he typically just pot bets.

Effective $4,300 stacks

I raise J:s: J:d: to $70 on the BTN, Villain in SB calls, BB folds

Flop 6:h: 7:s: 9:h: Pot $160

Villain checks
I bet $130
Villain calls

Turn J:h: Pot: $420

Villain checks
I bet $300
Villain raises to $862
I call

River: 8:c: Pot: $2144

Villain bets $650

EC10
Jan 17, 2005

We like Nin-po-po
We like Nin-po-po
We like Nin-po-po
We like NIN---PO!

nachos posted:

1) How often does he c/r you? There's a difference between he doesn't c/r alot and he NEVER checkraises. Also has he shown it down any of these times?
Can't remember him doing it to me before this hand.

quote:

2) When he bets pot as a bluff on river or whatever, how big are these pots usually? Are they your standard lovely little hu pots or does he freely throw around money with no regard? (think micah or mikegreek)
The biggest one was like $800 or so.

quote:

3) How does he value his actual hands? What does he do with a huge hand on the flop like maybe a set of 9s?
I really think he'd be more likely to lead out or c/r the flop with a set rather than check two streets hoping for a turn c/r. But I don't really know.

quote:

I can't see a drat thing on the river that you are beating. I also don't see how shoving the turn is profitable unless he will consistently call with a worse hand or likes to bluff/semibluff checkraise a lot which you say he doesn't.
You think his range for the turn c/r is JUST a flush? Nah, no way.

EC10
Jan 17, 2005

We like Nin-po-po
We like Nin-po-po
We like Nin-po-po
We like NIN---PO!

BigJimSlade posted:

Hero GAMBOOOOOL?

oh gently caress yeah.

EC10
Jan 17, 2005

We like Nin-po-po
We like Nin-po-po
We like Nin-po-po
We like NIN---PO!
sup QJ and 67. and fold pre flop!

-kalensc

EC10
Jan 17, 2005

We like Nin-po-po
We like Nin-po-po
We like Nin-po-po
We like NIN---PO!

Spechel EDD posted:

If I fold in live play all the Greeks and Armenians will make fun of me :(

durrrr

EC10
Jan 17, 2005

We like Nin-po-po
We like Nin-po-po
We like Nin-po-po
We like NIN---PO!

Xyven posted:

http://cakepoker.com/HandHistory/?Hand=xcTDwsTFxcHFwcTExMfMw4jFxsPFwcU%3d
I have AA with the A:c:

Been playing against this guy for like an hour, he hasn't really done anything too crazy. I think I can fold to a river push pretty easily, but should I raise the turn? Honestly I was pretty lost when I played the hand, since there are a fair number of draws but at the same time I think he'd play a set or AQ like this so I'm having trouble putting him on a hand.

push turn every time

as played you can fold riv usually but call sometimes for sure

EC10
Jan 17, 2005

We like Nin-po-po
We like Nin-po-po
We like Nin-po-po
We like NIN---PO!

blah_blah posted:

Am I the only person who thinks that shoving turn with TP nearly 200BB deep against a competent opponent is kind of stupid?

they're 150 bb deep and xyven has AA, not TP :confused:

EC10
Jan 17, 2005

We like Nin-po-po
We like Nin-po-po
We like Nin-po-po
We like NIN---PO!
xpost from 2+2

villain is a habitual floater in position, in like the worst spots. he's been cbetting the same amount on lots of flops so his range is still pretty wide after the flop bet. i couldn't recall seeing him minraise before so i don't really know what kind of hand strength minraise is. he typically vbets pretty hard but obv is also capable of vbetting small.

flop and turn are pretty standard i think. i was obv gonna c/f the river but he bet like 1/3 pot so i decided cram time. like/dislike?

100 bb effective

Villain posts small blind $10
Hero posts big blind $20
Dealt to Hero [ 7:s: 9:s: ]
Villain raises to $50
Hero calls $30
FLOP [ 9:h: K:h: 8:d: ] Pot: $100
Hero checks
Villain bets $77
Hero calls $77
TURN [ T:c: ] Pot: $253
Hero bets $175
Villain raises to $350
Hero calls $175
RIVER [ 3:c: ] Pot: $953
Hero checks
Villain bets $300
Hero shoves for $1224 more

EC10
Jan 17, 2005

We like Nin-po-po
We like Nin-po-po
We like Nin-po-po
We like NIN---PO!
yeah I think you're likely beat, sauce.

and in response to replies to my hand: yeah i think the bluff sucks. i think i sort of did it spur of the moment as i WAS planning on c/folding until he bet so small so that i took it as either a thin value bet (most of the time) or bluff (much much less of the time). hence the c/r. i still don't think its that bad, since he has to fold less than 1/2 the time for it to be profitable. fwiw i still think fold > push > call. call sucks big time.

EC10
Jan 17, 2005

We like Nin-po-po
We like Nin-po-po
We like Nin-po-po
We like NIN---PO!
re: the A6o - are you guys forgetting that you see like 10 hands an hour live? A6o is a monster. pre flop isn't a big deal in the hand at all.

quick question on this hand: anyone shove river or just call? i meant to bet $540 not $54 haha. http://www.pokerhand.org/?946478

EC10
Jan 17, 2005

We like Nin-po-po
We like Nin-po-po
We like Nin-po-po
We like NIN---PO!

no.

he has 1 psb left, you have two pair, a ton of his range is hands you are ahead of, etc.

protip: dont make a habit of making big folds on cake.

EC10
Jan 17, 2005

We like Nin-po-po
We like Nin-po-po
We like Nin-po-po
We like NIN---PO!
stars nl 10/20 HU vs "crablar". he is a 2p2er but i dont think hes very good. i guess he wins at nl 2k because he plays nl 2k and 5k but from his posts ive read he seems like a typical massive FPS spewy 2+2er.

i think this is more interesting than it appears on first glance because you have to consider not only the possibility that hes bluffing or vbetting a worse hand but..does he call with worse? AK he would 3bet here PF for SURE so basically we're relying on him to make a hero call with KJ/KQ, right?

Seat 4: CrAbLaR ($1910 in chips)
Seat 5: EC10 ($2735 in chips)
EC10 : posts small blind $10
CrAbLaR: posts big blind $20

EC10: K:d: 8:h:

RAISE EC10 to $60
CALL CrAbLaR, $40

Flop 7:c: 5:h: K:s: Pot $120

CHECK CrAbLaR
CHECK EC10

Turn 5:d: Pot $120

CHECK CrAbLaR
BET EC10 , $70
RAISE CrAbLaR, $152 to $222
CALL EC10 , $152

River 8:s: Pot $564

BET CrAbLaR, $444

call or shove

EC10
Jan 17, 2005

We like Nin-po-po
We like Nin-po-po
We like Nin-po-po
We like NIN---PO!
i'm still not sure about the river shove/call in my hand. i think his calling range is just too tight (trips, 77, maybe K7 but an unlikely hand to be playing OOP in the first place, KQ?, KJ?).

i just called this time, and he showed 54o for trips.

EC10
Jan 17, 2005

We like Nin-po-po
We like Nin-po-po
We like Nin-po-po
We like NIN---PO!

Loveboat posted:

I don't want to contribute or post here (frankly because everyone is clueless, and the fact that you idolize donkeys like gobboboy and JCarver supports that theory), but sometimes I can't help myself from reacting on ill advice.

Okay I'm out.

lol who is this guy

EC10
Jan 17, 2005

We like Nin-po-po
We like Nin-po-po
We like Nin-po-po
We like NIN---PO!
what shane said but i really want to emphasize raising pf, ESPECIALLY on a 200 bb table. you should be raising any pair pre here.

EC10
Jan 17, 2005

We like Nin-po-po
We like Nin-po-po
We like Nin-po-po
We like NIN---PO!

simple posted:

I tend to agree with what was said above, calling in this situation doesn't make sense to me. Your read on MP makes me think he is making a move. I would raise to 45, if MP comes over the top, I think your choice is either all-in or fold
this is just terrible advice, sorry. do you have any justification for this? minraise and then push/fold to a 3bet? ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

off the top of my head i dont mind a flat call or a raise here, its sort of dependant on your image and his image. do you think he'd bet-call a raise with 77-TT here? if so, raise. if i flat call, i'd be raising any turn and then vbetting any river. im not too concerned about giving out free cards on this board, but rather maximizing value. you should go with the line that allows you to get the most amount of bets in.

EC10
Jan 17, 2005

We like Nin-po-po
We like Nin-po-po
We like Nin-po-po
We like NIN---PO!

Sherminator posted:

Called flop to re-evaluate on turn... when turn came up all my monies went in
this hand is fine.

EC10
Jan 17, 2005

We like Nin-po-po
We like Nin-po-po
We like Nin-po-po
We like NIN---PO!
oh yeah.. pxf is right. it's a fold PF.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EC10
Jan 17, 2005

We like Nin-po-po
We like Nin-po-po
We like Nin-po-po
We like NIN---PO!
Yeah what everyone else has said. For future reference hands where you flopped 2nd set (or 2nd nuts, or whatever) for 100 BB's on cake shouldn't even really be posted. Sucks if you lost to a flopped straight or whatever, just chalk it up to a standard cooler.

• Locked thread