Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
faarcyde
Dec 5, 2005
what the hell did you trade Jay Buhner for!?
Alright, I am really bad at math. Could somebody help me figure out my odds here? Nevermind that the guy called my UTG raise with T-4s, or that I put myself in a tough position by raising..

http://www.pokerhand.org/?793734

Okay, this is how I do the math, although I could be completely wrong. He has 17 outs (8 to the straight, 9 to the flush) twice, so that would be 34/47 = 72% to complete a better hand than mine. I have 10 outs to fill up or improve to four of a kind, or 10 outs twice - 20/47 = 42% to improve to a made hand.

Assuming I have done the math right so far, the part that gets tricky for me is the fact I don't know how to put the two together as far as my hand improving goes. Who is ahead in this situation?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

faarcyde
Dec 5, 2005
http://www.pokerhand.org/?794773

Do you think I made a correct move checking on the turn and then betting on the river like I did? My thinking was he certainly hit the flush, and my weakness shown on the turn would make him doubt my bet on the river and peg it as a bluff. Any comments would be mucho appreciated.

Iridox posted:

You can use Poker Stove to do this.

equity win tie pots won pots tied
Hand 0: 60.606% 59.70% 00.91% 591 9.00 { 5c5h }
Hand 1: 39.394% 38.48% 00.91% 381 9.00 { Td4d }

You know what I have this program but am retarded and can't figure out how to use it.

faarcyde
Dec 5, 2005
http://www.pokerhand.org/?797988

Is my move to transparent here? I never try this sort of thing, and this hand will probably prevent me from ever trying again :(

My basic thinking was either he was just C-betting AK - AJ or something, or he had a mid pocket pair, or J-9 or something. I figured I could push him off all three hand ranges so that is why I did it. He deliberated for a long time before calling so I think it almost worked but meh. Suggestions?

faarcyde fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Feb 6, 2007

faarcyde
Dec 5, 2005

EC10 posted:

:words:

This is basically every advice thread on 2+2, and every response I see is bet pot (maybe a little more) and if he comes over the top then fold. I would be inclined to agree because I don't think someone is going to try and push with JJ, TT or 99. However, you are on Cake so who freaking knows :downs:

faarcyde
Dec 5, 2005
No; we ; are; the; web; site; is; two; plus; two; dot; com; right?

faarcyde
Dec 5, 2005

ElProducto posted:

Faarcyde I'm not trying to stir up a bunch of poo poo but are you doing the whole 'bad advice' shtick just to be funny? This isn't the only thread that you've had some pretty strange advice in.

No it isn't a schtick, I revoke my advice. EC10 explained to me why it was, I didn't consider pot odds because I am a donk. I think I have only given advice in like two other threads ever so I dunno, but I will stop :(

faarcyde
Dec 5, 2005

albedoa posted:

Okay, link us to a thread where the consensus seriously advocates what you are saying.

Semicolon.

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=9093363&an=0&page=0#Post9093363

This is the thread I was thinking of, but there positions are switched around that is why I gave some pretty horrible advice. If you were in position EC10 I would probably fold to a big bet on the flop. Sorry for the mix-up.

faarcyde
Dec 5, 2005
Everyone is so drat moody around here lately :mad:

faarcyde
Dec 5, 2005

Fat Turkey posted:

Two flopped set of fives within minuts of eachother on seperate tables. I take a different approach to both hands based on position and flop texture. No reads. did I play these right?

http://cakepoker.com/HandHistory/?Hand=xcTBxMTFxcDMwcTExMfGxIjFwsbHw8A%3d

For the first one, I would recommend a standard raise in MP there. When retard #1 goes all in, I would push over the top to knock out Drawy McDrawster behind you. If he is going to call the $10 then you know he is going to call the following street as well, so you might as well raise all-in and try to knock him out. Take this with a grain of salt though because I often give crap advice.

faarcyde
Dec 5, 2005

Xyven posted:

http://cakepoker.com/HandHistory/?Hand=xcTDwsTFxcHFwcTExMfMw4jFxsPFwcU%3d
I have AA with the A:c:

Been playing against this guy for like an hour, he hasn't really done anything too crazy. I think I can fold to a river push pretty easily, but should I raise the turn? Honestly I was pretty lost when I played the hand, since there are a fair number of draws but at the same time I think he'd play a set or AQ like this so I'm having trouble putting him on a hand.

fold preflop

in all seriousness, somehow i doubt he is checkraising 3-barrelling with something you beat unless he has balls the size of Australia.

faarcyde
Dec 5, 2005

Loveboat posted:

I'm interested in hearing a few opinions about my line here.

HJ/villain is a LAG, had him on about 35/25/6 at the moment. He's not out-of-line post-flop though. Pretty decent player.

SB and BB are both pretty laggy too. I've played a lot with BB under a different name and know he's at least capable of squeezing.

I had a semi-tight image I'd assume. I'd been careful not to cross any lines this far; only 3-betting a few times without showing hands, and had not been crazy post-flop either.

I have ~150 BB and the villain covers me.

Preflop: Hero is dealt A:d: A:c:

Villain raises 4 BB, 1 fold, Hero calls, SB folds, BB calls.

Flop: 4:h: 5:c: T:c: Pot: 12.5 BB

BB checks, Villain bets 10 BB, Hero raises to 33.5 BB, BB folds, Villain calls.

Turn: 4:h: 5:c: T:c: Q:s: Pot: 79.5 BB

Villain checks, Hero checks.

River: 4:h: 5:c: T:c: Q:s: 8:s: Pot: 79.5 BB

Villain checks, Hero bets 106 BB (all in), Villain calls.

I don't have any advice but I would like to see results out of curiousity. 95 times out of a hundred I would say you are beat here.

faarcyde
Dec 5, 2005

albedoa posted:

I'd say you're beat 80-85% of the time AFTER he calls.

Yeah that is what I meant. I would bet the turn and check through on the river if I was in your spot.

faarcyde
Dec 5, 2005

deaders posted:

Disagree... any real longterm winning ssnl reg will squeeze quite a lot, at least at 200nl. Nitty 15/11 types probably not though.

Adar is 2+2 :downsowned:

faarcyde
Dec 5, 2005

deaders posted:

what? so am I, just disagreeing with him on that point.

No, you don't understand. He is 2+2.

faarcyde
Dec 5, 2005

albedoa posted:

Are you saying deader's opinion on the subject can't be different?

No, I was trying to be funny, but failed miserably. Since you ask though, I don't think "any real longterm winning SSNL player" has to squeeze "a lot." The move is so popular these days no one believes you. A useful tool, yes. Necessary to be a winning player? No.

faarcyde
Dec 5, 2005

duffman posted:

One of the big hands from playing live 1-2 tonight:

Effective Stacks: $1800

Effective stacks are $1800 in a NL200 game? :confused:

faarcyde
Dec 5, 2005
http://www.pokerhand.org/?975638

Just kind of a crappy spot. On the turn when he raises I am pretty sure he has a set. I don't think he is raising with AQ or KQ for value here. My decision was to just call and see if he would check through on river. My line is extremely weak, but like I said, just a poo poo spot.

Any thoughts?

faarcyde
Dec 5, 2005

Loveboat posted:

Sounds like you WANT him to call a BIG BET rather than a SMALLER one.

I capitalized the more important words for you.

Conversely, if you get the same result from a bigger bet as you do with a smaller one, the latter is preferable. If you're into varying your betsize at all rather than mashing the pot button (which I don't hate at all) you'll want to bet smaller on boards with one high card and two lower ones, especially if it's a king or ace. It's a tough board to continue on without the high card in your hand, as you said. That the hero happened to have AA this time is of NO importance at all.

I don't want to contribute or post here (frankly because everyone is clueless, and the fact that you idolize donkeys like gobboboy and JCarver supports that theory), but sometimes I can't help myself from reacting on ill advice.

Okay I'm out.

Yes, please leave.

faarcyde fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Apr 9, 2007

faarcyde
Dec 5, 2005
Oof: I would call, simply because who would play a ten like that? The play just doesn't make any sense, and if he does have it you have a lot of outs to suck out.

Any results?

faarcyde
Dec 5, 2005
Just call all the way down, fold to a stupid overbet or whatever. No need to bloat the pot with such a basic hand.

faarcyde
Dec 5, 2005

Arrg posted:

I just played what I think was the best hand of my short poker career. 2nd hand of a 9 man $1.20 SnG.

Arrgy: raises 20 to 40

Arrgy: raises 60 to 140

Arrgy: calls 1320 and is all-in

Wrong.

Wrong.

Right.

faarcyde
Dec 5, 2005
This isn't a particular hand, but a situation I often find myself in. Keep in mind the stakes are NL25 or NL50.

Assume full stacks.

Hero on the button. Guy in cutoff who runs a usual 25/17 or whatever raises, hero 3-bets pot with AQ of hearts. Folds around to cutoff who flat calls. Flop comes J72 two hearts. Villain donks into me for half pot, I call. He three quarter pots on a turn blank. Shoving often crosses my mind, thinking he can fold something like KJ, AJ, QJ, TT, 99 and maybe even QQ if I am lucky. I have 15 outs (although it is likely more like 12 or 13 if villain is leading with top pair good kicker). I guess a lot of this depends on the fact microlimit players will felt top pair top kicker without a second thought, which makes this position a little tricky.

Does this qualify as an equitable move? Thoughts?

faarcyde
Dec 5, 2005

coiol posted:

I folded, PFR called with 33 and beat BB's 76 when a 6 fell :pwn:

I only posted it because this is the first time I can recall ever check/folding a set on the flop in maybe 300k hands. I still think it's the right move if the players are competent, but I could be wrong if the math works out otherwise.

Call, if you are facing some dumb straight you have outs. Also, don't play full ring.

faarcyde
Dec 5, 2005

Biggy_ posted:

http://cakepoker.com/HandHistory/?Hand=xcXGxcTFxcbNwMTExMTNwYjFx8bGzcY%3d

I had 77. Comments? I'm pretty sure raising the flop is a must looking back at the hand.

Bet more on turn. With that board, it is pretty obvious he is drawing and you should be making him pay while trying to keep him in the hand. If he raises the turn, then it will be fairly obvious he has a set / some kind of stupid straight. There are so many cards that are dangerous for you on the river, its not a bad idea to try and take down the pot right then if at all possible.

faarcyde
Dec 5, 2005

EC10 posted:

call or shove

I vote for call.

faarcyde
Dec 5, 2005
Playing drawing hands out of position is one of the hardest things to do in poker. Even if you hit it is going to be hard to get paid off. I think people massively overestimate implied odds in these situations. To recap: OOP connected type hands are -EV!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

faarcyde
Dec 5, 2005

AR posted:

$5 Turbo NL SnG

blinds at 100-200

Hero ~2400, villain ~3200.

Hero catches 10s, late position and raises to 600. Villain calls.

Even though it is a little more than 10x the BB I just push here, raising and getting called when you have tens is tricky because it is pretty much going all in anyway if you bet and the guy raises you or even calls. So yeah use your fold equity and jaaaaam.

• Locked thread