Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jhu1e
Jan 2, 2006

by Fistgrrl

faarcyde posted:

http://www.pokerhand.org/?797988

Is my move to transparent here? I never try this sort of thing, and this hand will probably prevent me from ever trying again :(

My basic thinking was either he was just C-betting AK - AJ or something, or he had a mid pocket pair, or J-9 or something. I figured I could push him off all three hand ranges so that is why I did it. He deliberated for a long time before calling so I think it almost worked but meh. Suggestions?

To disguise your bluffs, you need to think about how you would play a big hand on a board like that. Some people like to just smooth call the flop and then start raising on the turn, and other people like to start the raising on flops like that to get draws out. I'll leave out reads and stuff, but as an obvious general tip, calling stations like to see a turn with any type of overcards or draws no matter what the odds, so raising on the flop to win the pot might not work. However, betting or raising a good amount on the turn would probably get anything less than top pair out of the hand. Even if you are wrong and they call, thats a great board because you have plenty of outs. Pushing is sometimes transparent but sometimes it works. It depends on the player.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jhu1e
Jan 2, 2006

by Fistgrrl

blah_blah posted:

I think repotting the flop has to be the default here; if you are playing Ax suited this is exactly the kind of flop you want to see, and exactly the kind of flop you want to get your stack in on (hint: you're a 55-45 favorite against 9x or 77 here!)

My read on players who make 3/4ish pot-sized bets like that is either a pair that's vulnerable (like 77), or a semibluff. I would definitely take a shot with a raise somewhere on a hand like that, but I would hate to end up with my whole stack in the middle on the flop. I'm not in the trap where I'm too scared of losing money anymore, but I always feel stupid when he turns over the set or w/e and the draw whiffs. I would definitely raise on flops like that to mix up my play and stay aggressive, and sometimes I float because its really fun. Its just that I've never been a big fan of shoving on combo draws. I hate the feeling when I have to get my whole stack (assuming its 100bb) in like that. Is it just me?

I also hate it when he three bets it there after I raise him. That's another spot where I can get lost, assuming it was a sizable reraise giving poor odds. Against a TAG or dumb set miner, it's right to just fold and move on right? Against a LAG, maybe I would consider pushing all in. Would shoving still be correct?

jhu1e
Jan 2, 2006

by Fistgrrl
http://cakepoker.com/HandHistory/?Hand=xcXAxcTFxcDGwcTExMzHzYjFzMLCxMM%3d

I'm Jui1ie, mucked TJ. No reads on villian, I haven't seen him much/I haven't been paying attention like I should be.

Should I be able to get away from that hand (if so, would it be on the flop, turn or river?), or play it differently? Yes, I know crap like flopped 2 pair vs flopped straight happens all the time, but I'm really not sure why this particular hand is bothering me. The only different way I can think of playing this hand is 3betting that flop to see where I'm at and check/folding if he calls it, but that could be a dumb play too. The minraise on the flop made me kind of suspicious, but I felt like he made it cheap enough afterwards for me to call on each street.

jhu1e
Jan 2, 2006

by Fistgrrl

CRHCP posted:

Off topic here ; might belong in stupid questions

But what is a good BB/100 hands for NL100 over 20k hands?

I remember my first 15k hands in NL100 was like 8 or 9ptbb/100. I think that was pretty impressive since I was a huge noob and had just started online poker like 6 months earlier. This was around Fall 2005 on Party and pokerroom (yea I played on that crap). The games were reaaaaally soft, but poker has been getting tougher since 2006 in my opinion. The only sites where you can hope to get ptbb/100 anywhere close to 10 is probably Cake, but pokertracker doesn't work there anyway.

• Locked thread