Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.
Goddamn adults with your salaries that let you buy this stuff. One day I'll be able to :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

illcendiary posted:

Goddamn adults with your salaries that let you buy this stuff. One day I'll be able to :argh:

Save up, I haven't posted my setup yet but I live in the dorms and still have a fun little center. It took me years of buying and saving as a student but I have it now.

Don Corleone
Jan 25, 2004

What's next?
drat, some of these setups make me think that your yearly income should be posted along with the component model #'s, just so we can see how rich/obsessed some of you guys are. I'll post a pic of my fairly meager setup in a week or two when my 37" plasma gets delivered and I'm finally back to the world of HD (thank god for free internet schemes that actually pan out).

TV: Panasonic TH-37PX60U
Receiver: Philips FR-968
DVD Player: Philips DVD711
lovely Philips surround sound speakers
Xbox 360/Xbox/Dreamcast

Are there any good, but accessable review sites for speakers and other audio equipment? I'm gonna be in the market for a pair of good floor speakers to start slowly upgrading my godawful sound system, and I have no idea where to start.

pastis
Aug 1, 2004

Ouzo is for louzos

Zombie Dictator posted:

TV - Mitsubishi WD-52628

Cons: Not true 1080P (doesn't accept a 1080P signal input).

Set HDMI-2 as a PC and it will accept and display a native 1080p signal (50/60Hz work, 24/25/48Hz studder at times). NetCommand will bitch about the sync type not being known and you should add a PC, but just hit the "OK" button a couple of times and the messages will go away.

TehKrond
Oct 13, 2002

France is for Gays and Damn Dirty Jews, Both of which own Hollywood

Juriko posted:

Save up, I haven't posted my setup yet but I live in the dorms and still have a fun little center. It took me years of buying and saving as a student but I have it now.

As a college student with a bunch of parts that could possibly make up a a/v setup, it's moreabout the having a nice/usable space and a huge TV than anything else. All I need is one mic, one room, one 5,000 tv...

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Display:
Panasonic TX-42PX600U 42" plasma

Components:
Xbox 360 hooked up using VGA
SA 6300HD cable box + dvr using HDMI
Oppo DV971H hooked up using HDMI

Audio:
Onkyo TX8511
Axiom M3tis
Crummy record player

Not pictured:
Wii!

thefuNkpuNk
Sep 4, 2003

thefuNkpuNk fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Apr 14, 2009

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

thefuNkpuNk posted:

What is / Where did you get your furniture (tv stand / coffee table)?

People always ask about the furniture. Noone ever likes my TV. :(

They're from Ikea, in the Magiker line.

Acc-Risk
Sep 28, 2001

Video:
Sony 46" LCD HD RPTV

Audio:
Yamaha RV-1105 Receiver
Denon 1930ci DVD
Jeff Rowland Model 201 Power Amp
Adcom GFA-555 Power Amp
Paradigm Monitor 9 Mains
Paradigm CC-350 Center
Paradigm CC370 Rear
Citation 7.4 14" Subwoofer

Random other stuff like a Tivo, handy little Linksys Network Media Device and such...

empathe
Nov 9, 2003

>:|

Chemmy posted:

People always ask about the furniture. Noone ever likes my TV. :(

They're from Ikea, in the Magiker line.

Haha. I have the single version of that coffee table and TV stand. They are great.

No picture at work, but:

Sharp Aquos 42"
Sony Home Theater Component SystemHT-7100DH with the 1080i upconvert DVD player -- though I don't have my 2 rear speakers strung up yet.
XBox 360 (also used to stream music/video to my TV)
Motorola DVR HDMI (Time Warner)
PS2

Stezzargh
Feb 15, 2005
Donkey Kong Engineer

Wiseblood posted:

I have one of these and I like it except I constantly have to take out the batteries and put them back in to wake it up. Do you have that problem?
Like Eyecannon, I just mash the "Fn" key a couple of times and it wakes up. I don't know if which key you hit matters or not.

Sith Happens
Jun 7, 2005

You will find that it is you
who are mistaken.

About a great many things.

Samsung HL-S6187 61" 1080p DLP
Onkyo HT-R510 6.1 channel receiver
Scientific Atlanta 8300 HD-DVR via HDMI (Charter cable)
Panasonic CV37 5-disc DVD player via component
Nintendo GameCube via component
MacBook Pro via DVI/HDMI (Front Row, iPhoto, iTunes, web browsing, games, etc.)
G4 PowerBook (only audio to receiver, iTunes master playlist on shuffle/repeat for "always on" music on that input)

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Sith Happens posted:

Nice looking setup, the wheels on the side cabinets are kind of ugly though.

Sith Happens
Jun 7, 2005

You will find that it is you
who are mistaken.

About a great many things.

Chemmy posted:

Nice looking setup, the wheels on the side cabinets are kind of ugly though.

Thanks. Kind of hard to tell from the picture, but they're not wheels. They're rounded wooden feet. I'd rather they matched the feet of the tv stand, but the stand was custom built, and I found the audio piers in a store.

Nice to see the MacBook Pro on your coffee table. :cool: You ever hook it into your display for some HD Apple glory? Of all the things I've shown guests on my setup, Front Row and slideshows via iPhoto always seem to get the most "oohs" and "aahs".

I just watched the new Pirates Of The Caribbean 3 trailer on it in 1080p, and it looks incredible. :yarr:

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

TehKrond posted:

As a college student with a bunch of parts that could possibly make up a a/v setup, it's moreabout the having a nice/usable space and a huge TV than anything else. All I need is one mic, one room, one 5,000 tv...

my entire room pretty much revolves around my setup. I have a 76 inch screen and an HD projector. A friend described it as "it's like I am being hosed by the movie" which is true.

TehKrond
Oct 13, 2002

France is for Gays and Damn Dirty Jews, Both of which own Hollywood

Sith Happens posted:

TV

You spent a lot of time getting that to tbe the exact same as your avatar and that is awesome and you have an awesome tv.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Sith Happens posted:

Thanks. Kind of hard to tell from the picture, but they're not wheels. They're rounded wooden feet. I'd rather they matched the feet of the tv stand, but the stand was custom built, and I found the audio piers in a store.

Nice to see the MacBook Pro on your coffee table. :cool: You ever hook it into your display for some HD Apple glory? Of all the things I've shown guests on my setup, Front Row and slideshows via iPhoto always seem to get the most "oohs" and "aahs".

I just have a 3.5 year old G4 PowerBook. :(

If those aren't wheels then they probably look nice in person. Your setup is sweet, wheels just seemed out of place. If they're round wooden feet I'm just an idiot.

jhcain
Nov 8, 2005

EXCEEDING THE LIMIT? I'LL RUN YOUR ASS OFF THE ROAD 'CUZ I'M A PASSIVE-AGRESSIVE SPHINCTER-SUCKER. I FEEL INADEQUATE AS A MAN.
Ohh, AV setups.

Mine has Audio, but the Video is only IN YOUR MIND. (Actually, it's in a different room, but I prefer the Audio part..)

I didn't include a picture of the chair.

-J

King Nothing
Apr 26, 2005

Ray was on a stool when he glocked the cow.

jhcain posted:

Ohh, AV setups.

Mine has Audio, but the Video is only IN YOUR MIND. (Actually, it's in a different room, but I prefer the Audio part..)

-J

You didn't include what any of that is either. :eng101:

esoteric
Nov 19, 2002

by Fragmaster

jhcain posted:

Ohh, AV setups.

-J

Wheres your super expensive turntable to go with all that? If those tube amps are driving those big speakers, I'm going to go out on a limb and say that were looking at about 20k worth of stuff at the bare minimum.

Odoyle
Sep 9, 2003
Odoyle Rules!

Sith Happens posted:

This is doubly awesome because of the screenshot and custom title :)

jhcain posted:

cool speakers and tube poo poo

Looks cool, mind telling us what it all is?

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

esoteric posted:

Wheres your super expensive turntable to go with all that? If those tube amps are driving those big speakers, I'm going to go out on a limb and say that were looking at about 20k worth of stuff at the bare minimum.

That looks like a musical fidelity cd player, they cost around $500-$1000, so i dont think he poured $19000 into speakers and tube amps. I think the speakers are magnepan, but i cant be sure, i know very little about panel speakers, the only thing ive listened to that is close is some martin logan summits. The tube amps were probably pretty expensive, but im sure they sound great.

jhcain
Nov 8, 2005

EXCEEDING THE LIMIT? I'LL RUN YOUR ASS OFF THE ROAD 'CUZ I'M A PASSIVE-AGRESSIVE SPHINCTER-SUCKER. I FEEL INADEQUATE AS A MAN.

jhcain posted:

Ohh, AV setups.

Mine has Audio...

Umm, yeah, what IS all that stuff, anyhow? Stoopid noob, forgot to share the 'whattizit' part.

Left and right, a pair of JRM Electrostatic speakers, and a pair of subwoofers (they're behind the primary loudspeakers)

The main speakers are driven by a pair of Cary SLM-100 amplifiers.

Center pile o' stuff, top down:

-The picture shows an MFA Magus preamp, this is interchanged with a Cary/AES AE-3 Unit when there's no Phono in the vicinity (most of the time)
-Then an electronic crossover with external triple regulated power supply dividing the signal at 50 Hz for the main/subwoofers
-A hotrodded Music Hall CD player
-Adcom GFA-585 driving the pair of subwoofers
-General cabling from Audioquest, Van den Hul and others as the whim takes.
-2 20A dedicated AC circuits, each driving a quad of hospital grade outlets
-Isolation transformers for the preamp and digital AC supplies

And, a chair.

-J

timma85
Feb 13, 2006

TV:
Panasonic TH-37PX60U (Soon to be replaed with some sort of 1080p LCD.)

Sound:
Yamaha HTR-5860 (Soon to be replaced with a Denon.)
Monitor Audio Silver RS6 and RS LCR (Never to be replaced unless some day I can afford the Gold or Platinum Series.)

Sources:
Sony Playstation 3
Microsoft X-Box 360
Nintendo Wii
Toshiba HD-A2

Sorry for it being so dirty.

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

timma85 posted:

TV:
Panasonic TH-37PX60U (Soon to be replaed with some sort of 1080p LCD.)

Sound:
Yamaha HTR-5860 (Soon to be replaced with a Denon.)
Monitor Audio Silver RS6 and RS LCR (Never to be replaced unless some day I can afford the Gold or Platinum Series.)

Sources:
Sony Playstation 3
Microsoft X-Box 360
Nintendo Wii
Toshiba HD-A2

Sorry for it being so dirty.

gently caress yeah! a fellow monitor audio brah' :haw:

I hope loving magnolia gets the platinum series in so i can listen to them (and possibly have sexual intercourse with their port holes).

When youre sitting does the center channel ever seem to block some of the screen? I was thinking about getting that specific line of panasonic plasmas simply so i can put the FRIGGIN HUGE center channel underneath the tv where it SHOULD be (above the tv its far from perfect).

theflux
Nov 27, 2004
GET TO DA CHOPPA!!!

Onkyo HT-S790 7.1 channel HTIB
Xbox 360 Premium (1080p over component, optical)
PSTwo(component, optical)
Time Warner crap digital cable box.

The bottom left of the stand is where the PS3 will go.

djLiku
Jul 28, 2006
Trust no fish.

Sith Happens posted:

Onkyo HT-R510 6.1 channel receiver
Scientific Atlanta 8300 HD-DVR via HDMI (Charter cable)
Panasonic CV37 5-disc DVD player via component
Nintendo GameCube via component
MacBook Pro via DVI/HDMI (Front Row, iPhoto, iTunes, web browsing, games, etc.)
G4 PowerBook (only audio to receiver, iTunes master playlist on shuffle/repeat for "always on" music on that input)

I know someone at Samsung and you need to know this. There is a defect in all HLS Samsung DLP sets, especially your set. When the light tunnel gets hot enough the glue in the optical module melts causing the picture to become blurry. There is no fix for the problem. If they replace the optical engine, it uses the same glue and it will become blurry again. They should have a recall, but they won't. They'd rather screw you over with multiple repairs or with a new set with the same exact problem. Just leting you know. I would return the set and never ever buy Samsung DLP's. The LCDs are ok, but the Plasma and DLP are pieces of poo poo.

Mode 7 Samurai
Jan 9, 2001

Xbox 360 with HD-DVD Drive
Joytech A/V Switcher
Sony 5.1 Surround Sound System
Toshiba Upscaling DVD player
Comcast Cable Box
Samsung 27" HDTV
Sony Playstation 2
Nintendo Wii

Yes it's a little dusty right now, I have been busy.

theflux
Nov 27, 2004
GET TO DA CHOPPA!!!

djLiku posted:

I know someone at Samsung and you need to know this. There is a defect in all HLS Samsung DLP sets, especially your set. When the light tunnel gets hot enough the glue in the optical module melts causing the picture to become blurry. There is no fix for the problem. If they replace the optical engine, it uses the same glue and it will become blurry again. They should have a recall, but they won't. They'd rather screw you over with multiple repairs or with a new set with the same exact problem. Just leting you know. I would return the set and never ever buy Samsung DLP's. The LCDs are ok, but the Plasma and DLP are pieces of poo poo.

I thought this was an issue with the old light engine design, but has since been fixed. Are you saying the redesigned new light engine has the same problem?

djLiku
Jul 28, 2006
Trust no fish.

theflux posted:

I thought this was an issue with the old light engine design, but has since been fixed. Are you saying the redesigned new light engine has the same problem?

If the light engine was repaired in the United States, than the engine has the new glue. But the repair center that refurbs these engines is tiny and does very few a day. Most of these sets end up getting exchanged under warranty with the same model using the same glue. To really understand why buying a Samsung set is a nightmare you'll have to understand how they work.

This is how Samsung releases a set in the US. After a set is designed, the initial production is done in Korea. This will be the first version of the set. They then will create a second, third, and sometimes fourth version of the set without notifying anyone in the United States. They then pass of production of repair parts to Mexico. These versions create a huge confusion and a number of problems.

1. Repairmen have to make multiple trips because they end up ordering parts for the wrong version.

2. This creates a shortage of parts because more parts are ordered than are actually needed.

3. The factories cannot meet the demand for repair parts and the initial parts for the new models are given priority. They end up discontinuing the repair parts in order to produce the new models.

4. This makes it so your brand new set already has parts that will no longer be produced. So as soon as you are out of warranty you are screwed.

My advice is don't buy Samsuck set. They don't really give a poo poo about you once they have you money. Out of warranty + Need Parts = SOL

timma85
Feb 13, 2006

Omegaslast posted:

gently caress yeah! a fellow monitor audio brah' :haw:

I hope loving magnolia gets the platinum series in so i can listen to them (and possibly have sexual intercourse with their port holes).

When youre sitting does the center channel ever seem to block some of the screen? I was thinking about getting that specific line of panasonic plasmas simply so i can put the FRIGGIN HUGE center channel underneath the tv where it SHOULD be (above the tv its far from perfect).

From what I've read the Platinum series is :fap: but then of course it should be for the sort of money they're asking for. Too bad I talked to a Magnolia buddy of mine and he said they could probaly order them, but it's unlikely any stores will get them. My center works really well were its placed, it's one reason I went with the Monitors. The only time the center blocks the screen is when I sit on the floor right in front of my tv. Besides that they work really well.

samurai slowdown
Jun 11, 2006

POWER UP

The photo is a little outdated.

50" XBR1 SXRD (It has the green blob problem so I might end up with something else soon.)
Samsung HD-845 upconverting DVD player (The one pictured is an old Pioneer player I gave to my friend.)
SA 8300 HD cable box/DVR
Xbox (via component)
Gamecube (via s-video)

Snafuel
Dec 29, 2005

This ?uck is gonna ?uck the gal on right!
The livingroom setup, this are is intented more for whole family entertainment:

PS2, soon to be replaced with PS3, Wii, Topfield PVR and Pioneer AV amp controlled with Logitech Harmony 785. The panel is 42v2000. I listen to a lot of stereo music as well therefore I have Magnepan MG-1.5 as the main speakers, in use for 5.1 sound too. Denon-1920 as the player, I am very disappointed in the robustness of it and the crappy remote it had.

Workroom setup, this area is more for my use:

Although quite often the neighbourhood kids (along with our own) gather here to watch movies. Behind me are the shelves for RPG stuff, comics, games and the second computer with which me and missus play NWN, Diablo2 and others. Yeah, I got one of those women :D

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

Stars Stripes Freedom Jozy
(Jozy not pictured here)

jhcain posted:

Ohh, AV setups.

-J

That is a phenomenal two channel setup. I love the sound of planar speakers. Would love to hear it sometime! On the subject of audio geekiness, anyone in San Antonio that has keen interest in audio is invited to join our little audio group. We haven't been meeting regularly but planned on getting together in the near future to listen to music and talk about equipment.

Suqit fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Mar 21, 2007

poopzilla
Nov 23, 2004

djLiku posted:

Bad news for Samsung DLP owners.

I am just wondering what information you are basing these statements on. I read quite a few reviews on the current gen Samsung DLP's and never saw mention of these kinds of catastrophic supply/repair chain problems mentioned. Which I find odd for such a seemingly popular brand and model.

I've had mine for about a month and so far so good. But either way I am glad I got a five year in home warranty from RC Wiley :cool:

Edit: Dur, I didn't see your first post. Still seems like some kind of print or internet review would mention some of the stuff you said if it is a really big problem tho :confused:

poopzilla fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Mar 22, 2007

Eyecannon
Mar 13, 2003

you are what you excrete

Stezzargh posted:

Like Eyecannon, I just mash the "Fn" key a couple of times and it wakes up. I don't know if which key you hit matters or not.

The key doesn't matter really, but you don't want to be pushing something like Esc that might have unintended consequences. I find hitting Ctrl (or Fn) is unlikely to cause any weird things to happen (unless you are running a KVM switch that reacts to Ctrl-Ctrl).

joe87653
Jul 9, 2002

joe87653 fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Mar 28, 2014

diis
Feb 28, 2001

jhcain posted:

Left and right, a pair of JRM Electrostatic speakers,

I am insanely jealous of you right now. Have you considered taking a male lover? I'm available.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Mr_PK posted:

I really like the TV. I personally have the Panasonic TH-42PX50U 42" plasma which is basically the same plasma panel with speakers.

Aww shucks. The PX50U is from the generation before the 60U and 600U.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prince Turveydrop
May 12, 2001

He was a veray parfit gentil knight.
Everything is here now. :)

Computer -> Silverstone EB01 USB DAC -> Marantz 2245 Stereo Receiver -> Axiom M22ti speakers

But, no desk...

Only registered members can see post attachments!