Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fire Safety Doug
Sep 3, 2006

99 % caffeine free is 99 % not my kinda thing
Panasonic PT-AE700 projector

Pros: A consistently good projector, popular for a reason
Cons: Well, it's not HD (1080p that is)

Pioneer VSX-1015 A/V receiver

Pros: Plenty of inputs and functions
Cons: No HDMI, no video conversion

Pioneer DV-575 DVD player

Pros: Good value player, especially when you change the firmware
Cons: Bit noisy compared to my old player (an early Pioneer, can't remember exact model)

Tannoy EFX 5.1 speaker set

Pros: They get the job done and were a cheap way to get decent surround sound
Cons: Tiny, not very powerful or clean-sounding... Should upgrade

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fire Safety Doug
Sep 3, 2006

King Hotpants posted:

The AE700 is indeed HD. 1280x720 is High Definition. It irks me to no end that people are already thinking of 720p as "less-than." 1280x720 is excellent, and if you're feeding it standard def material, it won't matter anyhow. The AE700 has very good onboard scaling.

Well, I had a hard time thinking up downsides to it :) 720p (from my XBox360) definitely looks stunning already.

quote:

With the AE700 you really don't want to convert video anyhow. See above re: scaling.

I might have used to wrong word there... I meant that if I plug in my GameCube with the video cable that came with it (S-Video I think), the receiver - which is connected to the projector via component - doesn't show the picture. What would be the right term? I get mixed up... and my English, is not so good :shobon:

quote:

You might want to look into the Oppo 971 or the Denon DVD-1910 (discontinued). Excellent players, not much money.

I've been thinking that I don't necessarily want to get another regular DVD player, but rather wait and see what comes of the HD-DVD/Blu-Ray thing and then get my next player based on that (or go for some kind of HTPC setup).

quote:

I really don't know a thing about speakers so I won't comment on those, but all in all it sounds like a nice setup. What kind of screen are you projecting on?

I'm using a MDF screen, 92" or thereabouts I think, painted the appropriate grey for LCD projectors. I bought my projector used and the screen came with it.

Fire Safety Doug
Sep 3, 2006

King Hotpants posted:

Have you tried plugging in the gamecube directly? The projector should auto-switch sources for you when it starts up.

I've heard bad things about using gray paint instead of a purpose-built gray screen. I did my own testing with a gray DIY screen versus a Stewart Grayhawk :love: and the gray DIY screen just sucked all the brightness out of the picture. What kind of paint did you use?

No, the projector is incoveniently placed and then I'd still have to figure out a way to solve the audio problem. Too much hassle considering I would only be using the GC to play some Def Jam: Fight For New York anyway ;) Maybe I'll just get a new receiver – or a Wii.

As for the gray paint, personally I've seen a lot of people recommend the painted screens as an equal (and much cheaper) option to factory-made screens. As I mentioned, I got my screen with the projector, but I believe most people here in Finland use a specific tone of Tikkurila indoor latex matte paint (Tikkurila Harmony X073, in case anyone cares). The guy who sold me the projector had done the paint job with a good paint sprayer, which further improves the result. Haven't had the option to compare it with any other screens but it's A-OK by me.

Fire Safety Doug
Sep 3, 2006

King Hotpants posted:

Sonny, back in my day, we were lucky to get 300 ANSI out of a good HT projector, and we appreciated every drat lumen, too.

Haha :)

I'll see what I can do about the picture, maybe in the weekend!

Fire Safety Doug
Sep 3, 2006

Rhett posted:

my room

Samsung LN-T4081F
some sony hdmi dvd player
my weather station/clock is pretty hip aswell

Bitchin' safe you got there.

Fire Safety Doug
Sep 3, 2006

steckles posted:

No TV, so I guess it's really just an A/ setup. The 360 is essentially ornamental.

Speakers: Paradigm Monitors 7s.
Amp: Rotel RA-1062.
Turntable: Thorens TD-190.

The home made bass traps work quite well. CDs and MP3s are provided by the computer. I'm pretty happy with it.

Katana, Nazi hat and Dreamcast controller? Nice looking set-up, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fire Safety Doug
Sep 3, 2006

The technology has improved but the problems do still exist. I own a GT50 myself and have read enough reports of burn-in to make me a bit paranoid about it. I think a lot of it is luck of the draw with the individual panel you get, though.