Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

TenementFunster posted:

wow, that's pretty impressive! one question: why don't you put it out in your living room instead of next to your bed? it looks a bit crammed in there

Because i live with my parents :smithicide: (i tried to live on campus this year and i didnt get in, but i live 15 minutes away from the college so i said gently caress it i'll just live at home)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

Legdiian posted:

What does having comically overcompensating oversized speakers have to do with not having a girlfriend?

yeah i figure it will be viewed as overcompensating i mean when i got my VTF2 MKIII i got teased for that... :(

also girls just dont understand buying huge gently caress-off speakers

btw what dvd program is that?? looks like the kaleidascape software (which is like $20,000 or some poo poo) but hopefully it isnt... also what is that around the tv? a screen shield or something?

looking foward to your impressions of the PMCs... theyre intriguing speakers. remind me a lot of the company "ATC" and their design philosophies for some reason.

Pibborando San posted:

I actually got it from a local McMahan's Furniture for $150. I like it but it's JUST barely wide enough to fit two regular sized pieces of A/V gear (~17" wide each) next to each other. I'm actually interested in replacing it with this. Just wish I still worked at Best Buy when that stand would have cost me $60.

Legdiian: Wow, very nice and clean. And good taste in gear too.

Omegaslast: Your setup makes me laugh, but in a good way. Are those the LS9's? We should start "Team Rosewood AV123 Speakers"

nope "just" the LS6s, they are 6 feet tall i think, the LS9s are over 7 feet? i cant imagine having those. These are seriously ridiculous, if i had known they were going to be THIS fuckin big for my room i would have just went with my first decision. these: http://zaphaudio.com/ZRT.html. do i regret it? well when my LS6s hit 20hz with ease in some songs i just have a poo poo eating grin on my face, but when i have to climb around them to open a window i kind of just wonder what the hell i have these things in my room for.

coolskillrex remix fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Sep 2, 2008

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

Legdiian posted:

I'm sorry to disappoint you, but it is a Kaleidescape system. The frame around the display is just something I put up so you don't see all the wires and poo poo when you first walk into the room. The wall is shared so I couldn't do a full flush mount.

drat, was hoping it was some htpc type stuff that just copied kaleidescape REALLY WELL. is my $20,000 mark off? more like $5,000ish?? does it do bit perfect copies of dvds video and audio or does it compress them?

about the tv frame.. i thought it actually encased the tv, kinda hard to tell whats going on since i assume you painted the wall black behind it.

this guy did something similar:
http://av123forum.com/showthread.php?t=28285

he used red which i liked but dont think that would fit with your room.

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

Legdiian posted:

Some key points on why I like the Kaleidescape Player.

- Space. 450 DVDs takes up alot of wall space.
- I don't have to worry about my roomate / nephews / nieces handling the DVDs
- Meta data. The fact that I can just load one of my DVDs and have it automatically download Hi-Res cover art, descriptions and details about the movie and cast is just awesome.
- Speed. Have you ever tried to watch a movie that has the FBI warnings, coming attractions, and animated menus so locked down that it takes like 5 minutes to get to the actual movie? No matter what the movie, I just pick it and hit play and I'm watching it in less than 3 seconds. (Full DVD menus are retained in case you want to browse thru the DVD.)
- Collections/Favorite scenes. This is probably one of the cooler features. While watching a movie I can start/stop "recording" a favorite scene and then save it and give it a name. You can even setup scripts that will automatically play a bunch of preselected scenes if you are demoing your system to friends or whatever.
- The cool factor. When you are browsing thru the cover art to find a movie and you stop and a second later all the covers are flying around reorganizing themselves based on an algorithm that puts similar movies together.... I mean that's just cool.

Nice, glad to know you had employee discount so you didnt actually spend more on a kaleidescape setup than you did your tv and speakers (i consider those people even crazier than me).

I remember seeing a demo of kaleidescape at a magnolia hifi, and the whole "skipping FBI warning and stupid ads" part was definitely something i could see getting used to. the one thing i just dont get is why kaleidescape is dragging its feet getting into blu-ray... i guess because storage for that medium would cost through the roof, but still. im suprised theres even a big enough market for it when you have people that are spending $100,000+ on the newest and shiniest stuff for their home theater, would sacrifice a very noticeable improvement for the convenience factor of kaleidescape.

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

Legdiian posted:

It was a toss up between the box or looking at the side/back/wires of the tv every time I walk into my place. Power cord, 3 HDMI, Component, Composite and RS-232 are alot of wires to look at. I agree with you though, a flush or even semi-flush would look much better. Also, the box needs to be finish sanded and painted gloss black which should help a little.

im still not sure what you mean when you say "flush"? do you mean on a wall mount or mounted as close to the wall as possible? what type of wallmount is it on now??

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

Legdiian posted:

I'm using this bracket:

http://www.chiefmfg.com/productdetail.aspx?MountID=56

When I say "flush" or "semi-flush" I'm actually referring to the way the bracket is attached to the wall. Mine is just mounted right on the wall with 4 lag bolts into studs.

Flush would require a large cut out in the wall the size of the entire display and usually about an inch or two more. The cut out would also have to be about 6 or 7 inches deep which is just not possible with the wall I put it on.

Semi-flush would be a cutout just large enough for the bracket to be recessed in the wall. This only requires the cutout to only be a couple inches deep and still hides most of the wires and the actual bracket. However the front edge of the display would still be about 5 inches off the wall (currently 7 inches with my install)

I'll add some pictures next week.

i dont think ive ever seen a "flush mounted" tv setup, it seems 99.99% are put on a brackets connected to the wall and then have a hole drilled behind it for wires? they look fine to me, my uncle has it wall mounted and it looks great. ill be honest i think it would look better without a frame then with the frame (especially with an elite which is one of the best looking tvs out there). i mean with that setup you should be running everything into a receiver, then having it output one hdmi cable to the tv. So that means you would have two cables "visible" behind the tv when people walk in: a power cord, and an hdmi cable, which is really minimalistic and i would think more pleasing than a painted plywood frame.

coolskillrex remix fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Sep 8, 2008

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

Juriko posted:

Odd question but does anyone know of a compact florescent that can be dimmed by an electronic dimmer.

I have a IR controlled dimmer that I haven't been using for a while since the only thing that seems to work with it are incandescent bulbs.

http://www.1000bulbs.com/Dimmable-Compact-Fluorescent-Bulbs/

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

vega posted:

Pictures of my AV-room can be seen here:
http://www.hifisentralen.no/forum/index.php/topic,26514.0.html
(norwegian hifi-forum)

about the setup:
I recently bought a pair of used Ascolta Brennin MK-II from a friend I know from work. They are custom built, only 50ish pairs made by some danish guy in the late '90s.
As center and rear-speakers i use Boston Acoustic VR920 and VR975, bought used on ebay.
I have a Krell Showcase pre-amp and a showcase amp.
I use a PS3 connected via TOS to watch movies and listen to cd's.

Cables:
I just got myself five interconnect XLR cables named Black Magic Revelation. Nothing special about the speakercables. monster cables bought on ebay when I bought the speakers.

drat tons of norwegian dudes have nice setups... whats the black stuff around the tweeters on the speakers? it doesnt look like actual tweeter diffraction felt to me, more like a piece of cotton that doesnt really have any acoustic dampening properties. theres this one felt pad you put around a tweeter but cant remember the exact name of it right now

found it:
http://www.diffractionbegone.com/

coolskillrex remix fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Sep 12, 2008

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

Belldandy posted:

Can someone recommend a store that has good HDTV stands that is not Ikea?

I'm looking for something open and "minimal", like this:

http://www.potterybarn.com/products/p11146/index.cfm?pkey=cmedia%2Dstands%2Dflat%2Dscreen%2Ddisplay

But ideally I would like to have a back that I can mount the LCD on.

check costco and the tvstands.com as stated before. tvstands.com has probably the biggest selection

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

Glottis posted:

Why is that? I've never had a problem.

Anyone here have any tips for repainting / recoloring speakers that have a faux-wood plastic veneer? I've got some that look like the ones below, and ideally I'd like to preserve the fake wood grain and make them a semi-gloss, very dark brown color.

do you have insignias or radiients?

either way, its going to be a vinyl finish and not even worth putting effort into.

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

Glottis posted:

Radiients. There's got to be a way, I don't really like the light wood but I love the sound. What about a vinyl dye?

possibly, i dont know much about dying woods, let alone how vinyl will react. you might be able to just sand off the vinly or tear it off completely then veneer it but really that seems like a ton of work to put into $100 speakers.

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

porksmash posted:

The rest is under construction but I just got my Epik Knight in and it gave me a huge boner. I seriously underestimated the size of it (yeah, they have dimensions, but its all just numbers until you see it) but listening to some of the sub-20Hz sounds in Transformers made me not care at all. Feeling the sounds like that is something I had never experienced before. I love it more than words can describe. I feel like I've never properly seen a movie before. Best $600 I've ever spent hands down.

Click here for the full 849x646 image.

jesus what was your old sub?? an onkyo or something? and yeah the epik is a great sub, it is the best $600 subwoofer out there, nice choice. Sure theres the av123 MFW-15 which is designed by mark seaton, but with the extremely lovely quality control on the amp the MFW-15 is not worth all the trouble youre likely to go through.

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

porksmash posted:

Finally got the rest of my setup in:

Click here for the full 1280x960 image.

And the sub off to the side:

Click here for the full 1280x960 image.

List O' Stuff:
TV: Mitsubishi WD-Y577 DLP
Receiver: Denon AVR-789
Fronts: 2x KEF iQ9
Center: KEF iQ6c
Surrounds: 2x KEF iQ3
Subwoofer: Epik Knight
And a PS3 for games and Blu-Ray action.

Nice, i see you got the kefs. Have you pumped some stereo music through them??? How do they sound?

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

porksmash posted:

They sound amazing. With the sub backing them up there is no comparison to my old speakers. I still can't get over how stuff (usually the singer) sounds like it is coming from the center, but when I move closer and put my ear in front of it it is completely silent. Also when I close my eyes I can't tell where the fronts are, which is awesome.

Yep those are the two best things about moving up to a proper pair of speakers described pretty much exactly how i would describe them. Eventually you will also run into songs that throws sounds to the left and right of the speakers, it will trick your ears into thinking the walls themselves are somehow producing sound. Its a neat trick.

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

On Unicornback posted:

Just got my MGS4 PS3 so I feel like my getup is complete for now.

32" Bravia 720p
Onkyo 606
Wii
MGS4 PS3
HTPC

KEF iQ6c - center
KEF IQ3 - Front LR
Wharfedale WH-2 - Dipole Surround
Velodyne Vx-10 Sub
Booda Litter Dome

Pretty happy :cool:

Another kef guy, very nice.

That TV is looking pretty small next to that center channel... i think a 50" is in order. :)

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

cudwortho posted:

Speaking of cable runs, I've read that having the same length speaker wire for all speakers is a must. So if you have 5.1 sound then all speaker wire minus the sub, should be say 25ft for ea speaker. I currently have my setup ran like this, but the extra wire for my center channel speaker is all bunched up and looks like a birds nest. If I were to cut off some of the excess center channel wire would I even notice a difference? Is having all the wire the same length even a must do?

Whoever told you that is full of poo poo. The only person i can imagine having a reason to tell you that is the sales guy so you buy more speaker wire.

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh
Ive heard of the speaker wire thing before but just thought it was a joke, the whole premise is the electrons traveling through the speaker cable should be traveling the same distance to ALL speakers so the electrons all arrive at the same time and the "timing" is perfect. Sounds pretty convincing but theres absolutely no science backing it up... if you do try to apply science to it im pretty sure electrons travel at the speed of light so even if they do somehow arrive at the rear speakers after the front ones, it will be .0000000000000000000000000000000000001 of a second sound delay, and thres no way human ears (or most measuring equipment) can pick up on that.

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

Finally getting the hang of this new flash.

straight on:

coolskillrex remix fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Jan 12, 2009

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

Battlegoat posted:

I believe they are AV123 LS6s.

correct

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

Cornjob posted:

holy cow... those genelecs deserve to be on some stands not those things that probably vibrate to hell and back. :(

are your surrounds active? i think youre the only person on SA to be running a fully active setup.. dont see many of those.

and what sub is that?? it looks inadequate when compared to some genelec subs.

btw, nice fujitsu.

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

usurper posted:

How do you like your Emotiva amp? Which is it? I just bought the XPA-2 for some 2-channel listening in another room, but now I'm thinking about adding an XPA-3 for the center/surround channels and moving both to the the main movie/TV rig. So far I've been impressed with the Emotiva line.

Beautiful speakers as well. I see you have your priorities straight in terms of cash leaving your pocket - based on this pic where your bed is 6" away from this setup.

Its an xpa-3 with only the ls6s hooked up to it. it allows me to turn these up as loud as i want without any distortion and thats all i care about. What speakers you got running on the xpa-2??

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

Cornjob posted:

Runco. Not Fujitsu.

The surrounds are Genelec HT205 (x2)

The sub is a velodyne HGS 12.

I would like the Genelecs to be on a stand, but I am space-challenged.

hmm those fronts have 7" woofers? nice... makes the sub look smaller than it actually is.

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

r.i.p. kuros :(

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh
not to be a prick but you should check your fire code, most dont allow power cords to be run in walls like that, meaning if your house burns down and they find out your insurance is void. usually requires you to wire a (recessed) outlet behind the tv

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

The Dave posted:

It's been said before, but again, the look of the TV mounted right above a TV stand like that just doesn't look good at all. It looked better off the wall.

I think the best way to redeem it is maybe treat it like a table, put a little plant there, maybe a framed picture or a candle or a little dish of something.

I dont think its been said before... what was said before is mounting a tv a good 5 feet off the ground kills your neck and is a mystery to most of us, but mounting the tv on the wall with a tv stand below it has a lot of uses

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

shaitan posted:

Yeah as long as you and your friends aren't of the type to rough house and throw each other around, hitting one of them, you should be fine.

well its not like buying $100 speaker stands would fix that either.

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

Acc-Risk posted:

I wanted to repost since I've changed a few things. First and foremost, I took delivery of my B&W 805S's yesterday. I really liked my old 705's but the difference between the two is astounding.

Converted my Velodyne to passive and added a fourth 201 to drive it. I'm a lot happier. Nothing against powered subs but it's a LOT more controlled now. Ditched the Denon DVD for a PS3 as well. Only bitch there is I wish the HDMI and Optical outs worked simultaneously. I hate having to go into menus to switch audio. Added a Squeezbox Duet a while back also. All of that along with a ton of cabling is hidden under the bottom shelf.

And finally made some speaker cabling. $50 for everything and I'm thrilled with how it turned out. Beats a lot of the store bought premade stuff. Locking bananas and gold spades on the amplifier side. Still have to make more for the center and sub.

Next up for replacement is the TV. That'll be a while yet I think... Need to recover from this upgrade first.

let me guess starquad underneath that techflex?? i never thought about putting a long twisted strand of stripped copper into the back of the banana plug with heatshrink on top of it instead of just leaving the red/white jackets on... maybe i should put that in the tutorial. :)

coolskillrex remix fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Feb 20, 2009

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

Battlegoat posted:

Thanks! The Epik Phoenix. One of them for now, and a second one later on if that isn't enough.

Wow didnt even know epik made a sub like this... should be fuckin tight (literally since its a sealed 18" maelstrom x clone from the looks of it).

What receiver do you have?? im guessing elite with ice amps... still i feel bad seeing 804s without a separate amp :(

edit: apparently its not a sealed.. looks like epik has a shitload of new products when did this happen :psyduck:

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

Phillyt posted:

You are right. It is not a very good sub. I am just an undergraduate so it is satisfying for me. It's a Logitech Z-5500 sub. I still listen to my music pretty loudly if that means anything.

From my experience the logitech z5500 plays such high frequencies (which is what makes it sound terrible) that it actually transmits sound a lot more than my HSU VTF2 MKIII playing a super bass heavy scene. The crossover on the logitech is something like 150hz, so that means its playing A LOT of the time... it also doesnt have any spikes or something to decouple it from the floor, it just kind of sits on it. Basically ive done listening tests and the logitech is waaay more annoying than my HSU was for anyone below you. Kind of interesting they havent complained yet.

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

Acc-Risk posted:

drat Listen Up had a clearance sale on some Rotel stuff. Picked up an RLC-1040 conditioner, (same as the APC, but with Rotel styling,) and an RDV-1045 that I'm just using as a transport. More convenient than using the PS3 for just a quick audio CD. Also built a Sanus rack. Found out that if you buy a a bunch of the small 5" pieces, and some threaded rod from Home Depot, you can piece the small pieces together and get pretty much create any shelf height you want.

And before someone mentions it, the Sub isn't sitting on that shelf. I'm spiking the sub THROUGH the shelf with 4 holes drilled into it. That way I could have it still there but have it isolated from the rack.

And I got rid of that DLP. Much happier now. Still trying to get a hold of an RMB-1085 to drive the rear channels. That'll take up the last space with the processor.

After a long weekend and many monoprice orders later...

4 jeff rowland m201s?? arent those things like $4000 a piece... one of those costs more than pretty much my whole audio system. did you get a deal?

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

Acc-Risk posted:

I do all of his IT work so that paid for part of it. I originally started out with 3, then lost the amp on the sub. So I converted it to passive and he made me a deal on the 4th. The Velodyne people were being lovely about the amp and the warranty time so I haven't even sent it in for repair yet.

drat you do THE jeff rowlands IT work... although if i were you i would sell two of those amps and buy 804Ds.

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh
You could always put an 18% neutral gray paint behind it...

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh
are those dahlquist speakers?

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

Stares At Floor posted:

Indeed they are, DQ-20. I love em. Got em for $500 shipped! The woofers were re-coned shortly before I bought them

theyre an interesting looking speaker underneath the huge grill shroud thing that i usually see them with.

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh
is that the one with the speaker that lays across the floor/ceiling (im not sure which)?? was it really cheap or something why did you choose it over a dedicated 5.1 system

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

chuck2020 posted:

It's actually pretty good. The rack provides plenty of space behind the components, so it stays at a pretty good temperature.

The original plan when the contractor came over was to place a door over the rack. What we failed to consider, however, was the volume knob on the receiver. It was going to make the door stick our 3" from the wall. I decided leaving it as-is was a compromise I could live with (along with $200 knocked off our bill). And we do rock the Harmony 1000 remote; it makes operating it great. The receiver has TWO remotes by itself, so the Harmony is a must-have.

We watch a ton of TV. It's a little over 5' from the floor to the bottom of the screen. I know a few of you have said it's too high and we'll have neck pain, but it's seriously not a problem. Our living room is long, and it's 15" from the TV to the couch, so we're far enough back that we're not staring up at the screen.

Thanks for all the input and suggestions!

15' away? supersize that bitch to 65" :q:

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

got dat wmd posted:

Click here for the full 1024x768 image.

Samsung 32" LCD
Denon 3210CI
Boston Acoustics classic series 5 speakers and sub
Technics SL1200mk2
Comcast whatever new hd cable box
Sub isolator platform

There's been some complaints about the BA classic series but they sound wonderful to me and are perfect for this apartment.

Edit: Should I put the TT on top of the receiver?

That sub is a BA CS Sub10?

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh
Thats a nice clean setup but man those infinitys look loving weird wall mounted.

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh
True av nerds have like 4 remotes and then forget which inputs are assigned to what on the tv and receiver. bonus points if your receiver has renamed inputs but none of them actually correspond to whats connected to that input

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

Mugmoor posted:

It's at this point that the AV Nerd goes and gets a Harmony Remote.

I had an 880 and hated how it didnt remember what was on and off, also i had to point it at all the poo poo for ages.