Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

emocrat
Feb 28, 2007
Sidewalk Technology

In this pic from top to bottom:

Headphones: Grado SR125
Screen: Some Random 32" Polaroid HDTV
Speakers: Wharfedale Diamond 8.3
Amp: Rotel RB1070
Pre-Amp: Rotel RC1070
Source: My PC (winXP on a core2duo)

Planning on upgrading my speakers soon I hope... been drooling over the B&W CM7's, and an external DAC is in the works as well. (if anyones got a suggestion on one I'm all ears)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emocrat
Feb 28, 2007
Sidewalk Technology

Omegaslast posted:

Definintely upgrade those speakers, no offense but the amp and pre-amp outclass those speakers by quite a bit. Are you going for bookshelves only? I think you can get some monitor audio GS20s for the price of the B&W CM7s, and im willing to bet they are a much better value (of course im biased against B&W).

Yeah the speakers are the oldest part of the setup and next to go for sure. No im not only looking for bookshelves only (the CM7 is a 3-way floor stander) and I'm far from settled on a particular speaker. Waiting for that check for Q1 profit sharing from work then itl finally be time. Ill def look into the GS20's though. Any thoughts on a good DAC to compliment the Rotel?

emocrat
Feb 28, 2007
Sidewalk Technology

Omegaslast posted:

Once you know your definite price budget make a thread about it and ill list you about a bazillion speakers that you should go audition.

and are you talking about a DAC for your PC? Most people only get a DAC if theyre outputting audio from their PC. You dont need a DAC for almost everything home theater related since its all digital anyways. CD players also have DACs built in, which eliminates the need for external DACs.

(finished cleaning up my poo poo)

Yeah I'm using my PC as my sole source atm. my general plan was to use the onboard soundcard's optical digital out --> seperate DAC but I'm open to suggestions as to what to do with it. Ive heard good things about external USB soundcards, but I havent taken the time to really read up on them yet. (and for purely selfish asthetic reasons I like the idea of sticking with A/V form factor stuff).

Also, that setup is beautiful.

emocrat
Feb 28, 2007
Sidewalk Technology

chuckelZ posted:

For those that are using an HD-TV as a monitor for surfing the web, how is it? Would I be able to use one as my primary monitor? Do you think 720P/1080i is good enough to do this or would I need a 1080P set. I'm thinking of getting a 27-32", would this be acceptable if I'm sitting less than 7' away from it?

I use a 32 inch polaroid HDTV as my primary monitor and tbh I like it pretty well. I use it at 720P which doesnt allow for a ton of screen real estate but i find that on my screen at least it works best (my tv does not support 1080P). For basic comp stuff i find its just fine (web surfin, email, aim etc) and for gaming its super fun.

Youll want to turn your font size way up and depending on how high off the ground it is you may want to look into buying some kind of floor chair ( i use some "gaming chair" i got for $50. at bestbuy and i think its great, comfy, portable and I can drop it right down 2 feet from my screen if i wanna get up close)

I still have my 19inch samsung monitor, but I actually havent used it since i connected the HDTV. for the stuff I do at home on my PC the HDTV works fine and is conveinent.

emocrat
Feb 28, 2007
Sidewalk Technology
Id say that whats involved is using an acoustically transparent screen. They have micro perforations, its a trade off to get slightly better sound imaging with slightly worse picture quality. Basically you just have to make sure you don't get visible moire with the projector/pattern of perforations on the screen.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moir%C3%A9_pattern

In my opinion the downside to either is pretty negligible so the choice is mostly aesthetics and how much space you have behind where the screen is. If you don't want to see the speakers then do it.

emocrat
Feb 28, 2007
Sidewalk Technology

TraderStav posted:

So does this fancy little extender get past that 25' limit to the High Speed HDMI?

I don't know anything about the extender he uses, but I have 2 separate runs of HDMI in my house one of 35' and one 50' and I have no problem at all with them. 1080p and never drops signal or anything. They are just decent gauge monoprice cables, nothing fancy, plugged into my Yamaha receiver. 1.4 something revision I believe, although I don't use any of the newer features like ARC or Ethernet.

emocrat fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Aug 17, 2012

emocrat
Feb 28, 2007
Sidewalk Technology
Heh, I found that certain parts of AVS forum had really good info and helpful people, and others were just atrocious. If you set your bullshit filter to high there is some fantastic inspiration and information to be had in the Home Theater Builder section.

emocrat
Feb 28, 2007
Sidewalk Technology
I don't know of a good guide, but I do have a few things for you.

Personally I would decide what you want for a screen size and aspect ratio first. You may be able to google up some calculators that take into account optimum viewing distance, but personally I would just mock up a screen with tape or cardboard on a wall, and figure out what you like best. In my experience the location generally dictates the size of the screen (most people wants as big a screen as they can comfortably fit) and seeing it mocked up on the wall makes deciding stuff easier.

Once you have screen size go here:
http://www.projectorcentral.com/projectors.cfm
And you can enter screen size , throw distance and select features and get an idea of what projectors will work.

If you have an idea of which projectors you are interested in you can go here:
http://www.projectorcentral.com/projection-calculator-pro.cfm
and get a pretty detailed breakdown of the abilities of the projector and some interactive sliders where you can change screen sizes and get a range of acceptable throw distances or vice-versa.

emocrat
Feb 28, 2007
Sidewalk Technology
I have a theater setup that is very similar in size to yours. I don't have my measurements handy but its within a few inches of yours both in height and width.

I opted for a 92 diagonal 16x9 screen and very happy with it. While that is small by projector standards, its all about how it fits in the room and if the room is small also and it fills the space it will look great. I probably would have gone for something more like 110-120 diagonal if I could, however soffits on the sides presented a limiting factor.

While getting the extra width of the 135 would be great, I think in your setup you will run into problems with sight lines to the bottom of the screen. If your room is 85 high, and the screen is 78 even if you have it flush to the ceiling (which would look terrible I think) the bottom is 7 inches off the ground and even the front row will be a bit strange.

A 120 diagonal would be a decent compromise I think, with a height of around 60 inches. You could bias it high but still have a 18 inches or so off the ground as well as fit speakers around it without having to build a false wall or use acoustically transparent material. At 10 feet 120 is a pretty drat big screen.

emocrat
Feb 28, 2007
Sidewalk Technology
A good friend of mine has a 106 fixed frame, with couch seating about 12-14 feet from the screen and frankly, its still huge.

One thing I did when I was building mine that I would strongly recommend is to get some blue painters tape and mask out the screen on the wall. Then measure out the seating distance and put a chair there. It will give you a really solid idea of what your end result will be. Do it for a couple of sizes and pay attention to where the boundaries of the screen fall into your vision. As awesome as imax is, you don't really want that effect for every movie or tv show you watch. Or at least I don't. Being able to take in the entire picture without turning my head is generally a good thing.

emocrat
Feb 28, 2007
Sidewalk Technology

MMD3 posted:

Unfortunately we ended up going w/ bare cement just in case we ever experience flooding (this is the basement, below grade).

I have a similar space, also below grade, also with potential for water intrusion. Rather than leave the bare concrete I installed adhesive back vinyl plank that was patterned and textured to look like wood. I bought the stuff from Lowes for 79 cents per square foot. Installation was extremely easy, set a strait line for reference, peal and stick. The planks cut to with a sharp utility blade. The final look came out great, much better than I anticipated in fact. I am pushing 3 years without problem now. I have not had a full flood but sections have gotten fairly wet with no ill effect. I chose them mostly cause I did not want bare concrete, but it was cheap enough that if they got destroyed I would not be out too much. Obviously this wont help with acoustics, but if bare concrete is not the look you prefer, I would highly encourage you to look into this or something similar.

emocrat
Feb 28, 2007
Sidewalk Technology
Oh for sure. I am not against it in principle at all. He seemed to express regret over having to stay with bare concrete though so I figured I would chime in.

I am a big of the epoxy style finishes like in your second picture. I was planning on doing it myself, but I ended up not being able to justify the cost.

emocrat
Feb 28, 2007
Sidewalk Technology

LmaoTheKid posted:

There's good info on AVS but you can fall down the :spergin: rabbhithole really quick.

There is good info there, but the biggest problem isn't even that, its the lack of clear rules and expectations for threads. No one on that forum ever bothers to write a proper OP, so what you end up with is a megathread on a topic, that actually began as a random 1 off question and then spiraled into 200 pages question and passive aggressive answers. Any attempt to request a clear write up just results in being told to read the thread, or being linked to the start of someone else 100 page build thread with the notion, that "this buy had a solution". Its just a terrible place to find single and decent answers, even though all the information is right there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emocrat
Feb 28, 2007
Sidewalk Technology

Aeka 2.0 posted:

And with any forum "DO A SEARCH" or "READ THE THREAD" are the most annoying answers since if you actually do a search you end up finding the question in a search and the answer is "do a search." So the search ends up with "do a search" as the result. gently caress YOU OTHER FORUMS FOREVER!

Yeah, totally. In all seriousness, nothing has made me appreciate SA as much as AVSForum. Its goddamn infuriating over there and the time I spent reading it before I built my last theater made really, really love that over here, if you do that kinda poo poo, you get gassed and maybe banned. The quality of the information and help I can get in IYG and SHSC is amazing.