Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tachonium
Sep 9, 2000

The New Steel.

I work for a custom home theater install company so I get some really good discounts, hand-me-downs from customers, and almost broken stuff.

My left and rights are Denon speaker cabinets with guts from some Boston Acoustics E-40's that had major damage to their cabinets. I bought them super cheap from my boss and frankensteined them together.

My center channel is an Elan THP525W in-wall speaker that I built a box for. A coworker and I grabbed a pair of them that were being replaced by the homeowner. He said to take them free. So we each got a center channel. The rears are some generic little cubes that need to be replaced sometime. The speakers may not be the prettiest but they sound amazing.

The tv is a 42" LCD by LG.

The receiver is a JVC RX-D411S, nothing fancy but it drives the speakers very well.

The sub is a Sony and I forget what model.

Xbox 360, Gamecube and a PS2 (being borrowed by a friend)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tachonium
Sep 9, 2000

The New Steel.
A customer threw out a perfectly good B&K amp for no reason other than it didn't have component video switching. So I upgraded my system!

LG 42" LCD
Nintendo Wii
Xbox 360
B&K AVR 202
Denon Bookshelfs for left and right.
Elan THP525W in-wall speaker put into homemade box for center.
Generic cubes for rear left and right (next on the list of upgrades)
Sony Subwoofer

Sounds amazing!

Tachonium
Sep 9, 2000

The New Steel.

Omegaslast posted:

One thing i gotta ask though is whats with the speakers 8 feet in the air, why dont you put them on stands near the TV at ear level?

The center channel is stupidly big and won't go on top of the TV or in front of it. As far as the sides go, no excuse really. We're going to move in a few months and will be buying some different furniture. Maybe I'll figure out something more aesthetically pleasing at that time.

Master of Wendy posted:

I'd be scared of my 360 overheating with a Wii on it like that. But maybe that's because I've gone through three of them already..

I hope it won't be a problem. The Wii is really small and not covering any vents. I've yet to have a problem with the 360 in the two years or whatever I've had it... :fingers crossed: :knock on wood:

Edit: I left the 360 on the dashboard for about 10 minutes and it's a lot warmer than I'd like. The wii has been moved.

Tachonium fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Aug 30, 2007

Tachonium
Sep 9, 2000

The New Steel.
Upgraded my system a bit.

The updated equipment list:
  • Playstation 3
  • Nintendo Wii
  • Xbox 360 HD-DVD Drive
  • Xbox 360
  • B&K AVR-202 Amplifier
  • TV is a 42" LG LCD (42lc2d)
  • Left and Right are Boston CR77's (on proper speaker stands now)
  • Surround L&R are Boston Bravo II's
  • Subwoofer is a Sony 200w (I forget the model)
  • Center channel is an Elan THP525W in-wall speaker that I built a box for.

All in all it rocks pretty hard, I love it.

Tachonium
Sep 9, 2000

The New Steel.
Moved into a new place. This means I get to change the setup a bit.

TV: LG42LC2D LCD
L&R: Boston CR77's
Center: Elan in-wall 3-way speaker (Built a box for it)
Surrounds: pair of Boston Bravo-II's (Not pictured)
Subwoofer: Velodyne DLS-4000R (On right side, connected to LFE)
Subwoofer 2: Sony 10" SA-WM250 (On left side, connected to center channel pre-out)
Amplifier: B&K AVR-202

PS3
Wii
Xbox HD-DVD drive
Xbox 360

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tachonium
Sep 9, 2000

The New Steel.
A quick tip on stud finding that we use at work:

Get a small stack of rare-earth magnets and run them along the wall. They will stick to the nails/screws used to hold the drywall and indicate the stud location. Unless you spend a ton of money on a stud finder, this will tend to be more accurate.

Pluck one from the stack and stick it to each stud before moving on to have a removable marking of all nearby studs. Just thought I'd share.