Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strict 9
Jun 20, 2001

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Finally got a HDTV, so ...

Samsung HL-S5087W 50" DLP
Shuttle SN21G5 running Mediaportal
Nintendo Wii
Comcast HDTV/DVR box
Sony PSTwo
Crappy 10 year old Pioneer receiver
Ikea TV stand

The TV was $1550 from Circuit City and has an outstanding picture, and since I don't really care if it's mounted on the wall or not I'm glad I saved a grand.

The Shuttle is sexy and I love it (it was great to replace the $20 crappy mid-tower case I used to have). I have all my DVDs stored on a 500gb drive (funny how quick that's dissapearing though), and control it all with a Windows Mediacenter remote.

I can't wait to replace the speaker system, if only with the cheap $250 Onkyo HTIB. The TV is kind of in a tricky place though, with the wall set back, but I think with some decent speakers I could make it work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strict 9
Jun 20, 2001

by Y Kant Ozma Post

sm3g4 posted:

I know it's kind of sloppy looking but this is a temporary setup. I finally got a job and I'll be moving soon, so expect an upgraded version in the near future!

TV: Samsung HL-S5087W (50" DLP)

Hey HL-S5087W buddy! I think that's the first other one I've been on these forums. Still have and love that TV. I also have a nearly identical setup in other regards (Onkyo 607 instead of 606, Polk speakers instead of Klipsch). I've had a hell of a time finding a space for that center speaker with a DLP TV. Sadly can't use a TV stand like you have due to a crazy baby crawling around.

Strict 9
Jun 20, 2001

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I honestly discounted houses with living rooms centered around a fireplace that made it impossible to place the TV anywhere. A decade or two ago you could stick a 27" CRT in the corner, but these massive TV's we have nowadays make it really challenging to layout rooms. And for how often you use a fireplace compared to a TV, I just found them really annoying.

Strict 9
Jun 20, 2001

by Y Kant Ozma Post

MrData posted:

Optoma Full HD projector
Behind the screen is a Panasonic 37' Plasma, built into the frame
XBMC on a ASROCK ION pc for streaming stuff
Xbox and Xbox 360
Onkyo 607 receiver
Crappy speakers that need to be replaced desperately
Almost eveything can be controlled by a Harmony One, including the lights in the frame and the one behind the couch

Nice. Got a very similar setup (XBMC on AsRock, Xbox 360, Onkyo 607, Harmony One) that I'll be posting soon.

What is your setup for controlling your lights with the Harmony?

Strict 9
Jun 20, 2001

by Y Kant Ozma Post

MrData posted:

I use a Powermid XS set, which converts the infrared signal to RF. The lights are plugged in through (cheap) RF dimmers. The whole setup is like $75. So what happens is: the harmony sends out on/off IR signals to the powermid, that converts the signal to RF and sends it through the air, and the dimmers pick up that signal.

Nice, good price to. What do your lamps plug into though? I can only find the transmitter and receiver to buy. Are you just using those standard cheap XM lamp modules?

Strict 9
Jun 20, 2001

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Finally finished my quasi home theater! Actually nearly everything was finished except the paint and posters which were done in the past few weeks.

Specs:
  • Epson 8350 Projector
  • Vutec 92" screen
  • Onkyo SR-607 Receiver
  • Polk Monitor 70 fronts
  • Polk CS2 Center
  • Polk PSW 505 Subwoofer
  • Random Onkyo HTIB rear speakers
  • Xbox 360
  • Wii
  • Asrock Ion 330-Pro HTPC running XBMC with Fusion skin
  • ~3TB Windows 7 file server
  • Logitech Harmony One
  • Z-Wave Intermatic lighting control
  • Palliser Pacifico furniture

I took some videos as well if anyone is interested. Always wanted to have a theater room in my home, never really imagined I'd get one though.

Strict 9
Jun 20, 2001

by Y Kant Ozma Post

kloa posted:

How do you like both of these? I was thinking about getting them for a 2.1 simple system for mainly music and occasionally movies.

I think they're excellent, especially for the price you can get them on sale from a place like Newegg. I actually went without the sub for about a year, and even that was ok because of the fourth tweeter those speakers have dedicated to bass. But for movies I'd absolutely recommend a sub. I think that one I got is actually a bit of overkill for that room (I originally had it setup in a room twice as big), but that's the only negative really.

Strict 9
Jun 20, 2001

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Vintersorg posted:

What's with the lights under the chairs? I love the effect but it must look weird to others.

Foot lighting - I keep them on all the time in the evening so that you don't trip over anything, and they don't distract at all when watching something.

I uploaded a video of XBMC with Cinema Experience for anyone who hasn't worked with it before, it's pretty cool the things it can do. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVeSWffOV6g

Strict 9
Jun 20, 2001

by Y Kant Ozma Post

The Gunslinger posted:

Your video is set to private, just FYI.

Whups. Fixed, thanks.

Strict 9
Jun 20, 2001

by Y Kant Ozma Post

GobiasIndustries posted:

That looks really neat, definitely something I'm interested in getting set up. Side note, but what skin are you using for XBMC? I really like the look of it.

EC posted:

That's Fusion, a really, really clean interface. Easily my favorite skin. I think the fanart-heavy skins are a bit played out nowadays. There's a subforum on the XBMC forums, and a recently updated mod of the skin called Fusion Migma that adds some features/options to the original (which hasn't been updated in awhile).

@Strict 9: are the animated clips custom made? Like the DTS and Feature Presentation clips. Those look really neat.

The skin is indeed Fusion, but one of the modified ones: Fusion Migma. Like EC mentioned, too many of the skins are pretty to look at but not all that functional. I wanted a skin that looked decent and allowed for efficient browsing.

As for the animated clips, the theater intro one was made at a website where you can type in your own phrase and it makes custom intros, like it replaces the word Pixar with whatever you type and then does the lamp intro. Unfortunately I can't remember the name of it.

The other intros (feature presentation, DTS) are all from links from the Cinema Experience plugin thread.

mythadile posted:

You've inspired me to go ahead and pick that sub up. I've been running just the monitor 70 fronts for about two years and have no complaints they work great for me. Kept putting off the sub purchase and it looks like it has come down in price and Newegg has a 30.00 off promo code good through tommorrow.

Nice! I think you'll really appreciate how it compliments the Monitor 70's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strict 9
Jun 20, 2001

by Y Kant Ozma Post

89 posted:

Anybody utilize fake plants? I'm trying to make my A/V living room more roomy and welcome.

I use one and I actually think it adds a lot to the room, since I can't exactly use the fireplace anymore anyway.