Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Commander Jebus
Sep 9, 2001

You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought...

Sharp Aquos 46D62U
1080p, excellent black levels and elegant design. Banding-shmanding, this is one awesome TV. This is my second 46D62U, having replaced the first one (that I only had for 24hrs) with a wii-related dead pixel issues (oops). Recently replaced my old Sammy HLP series DLP.

Playstation 3
Doubles as my Blu-Ray / DVD player. Eagerly awaiting any news of a future firmware update that will enable DVD upconverting

XBox 360
Currently broken (three red lights of doom). Great console but as reliable as a British Leyland era Jaguar (thats AI talk for not very). Probably going to wait out and see if those "Zephyr" prototypes are for real. When it was working it was also my HD-DVD player.

Logitech Z-680
Good for my small condo. Probably will upgrade to a mid-range AV receiver/speaker set when I move into my new place, but these little workhorses have done very well for a set of 5.1 computer speakers. Lasted since my college days.

Motorola HD Cable Box
No idea what model, doesn't have HDMI but has DVI. Since OTA HD is next to non-existant in Canada and Sat. dishes aren't allowed in my building, its the only game in town.

(Wii in picture isn't mine unfortunately)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commander Jebus
Sep 9, 2001

Omegaslast posted:

Isnt the 42" Sharp the one without the banding? or is that the 52" one? Either way, awesome lcd tvs, that and the sony bravia XBR3s are putting up a real fight with plasmas.... which is not a good thing :(

According to the good people at AVS forums, all of the model 62U's have banding, as well as some other sharp models and maybe even your mother, they are not sure.

Like was said in the HDTV thread, its a real issue that has been completely blown out of proportion.

Commander Jebus
Sep 9, 2001

The HD standard includes widescreen. 4:3 CRTs that were refitted into "HDTVs" are capable of 1080i (540p) but aren't widescreen are sort of a bastardized HD spec.

Grumbletron 4000 posted:

40" Sony Bravia. (Only 1080i, but the price was right.)

Don't want to nitpick but that is a 720p TV. It will support 1080i signals, but it will convert them to 720p internally.

There are no LCD/Plasma/DLP/LCOS TVs that are native 1080i. The only TVs that ARE 1080i are HD CRTs.

Commander Jebus
Sep 9, 2001

Traxx posted:

I'm surprised this went on so long before you were corrected.

There have been several brands of flat panel displays that have only accepted 1080i signals. Most consumer Panasonic panels in the early generation (*PX20) were 1080i/480p only, and the most recent generation of Hitachi panels were ALIS, which also natively did 1080i. Several others had this same effect.

The only types of TVs that can natively show a 1080i and 720p image are CRT tubes and CRT projectors. They can adjust the scanning frequency to speed up to 1080i or slow down to 720p. All other types of TVs (fixed pixel displays) down/upconvert to their native rez.

I'm as surprised as you are, since I'm unsure how you natively display an interlaced signal on a what is certainly by definition a progressive display. Care to elaborate on the technology behind this magic? A Google search shows a Panasonic *PX20 as either a 1024x768 in the 42" or 1366 x 768 in the 50". Certainly not 1080 native. Just because it accepts those inputs doesn't mean there isn't some scaling going on. I know the TV's manual says to input a 1080i signal, which seems to me to be a backwards rear end approach of only accepting a 1080i signal and than down-converting to the panels native res, but it certainly doesn't change the fact that no flat panels are natively interlaced.

You got the CRT part mostly correct, except you have it backwards. Your "scanning frequency" needs to slow down for 1080i (since it only needs to draw 540 lines per field) or speed up for 720p.

Commander Jebus
Sep 9, 2001

Just finished Wall-Mounting and wanted to show off the results. Still have some cable management issues to resolve...

Commander Jebus
Sep 9, 2001

pickitup13 posted:

What model is that Sharp, Lt. Jebus?

46D62U

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commander Jebus
Sep 9, 2001

pickitup13 posted:

How do you like the black levels and overall picture on it? If you play video games or watch sports, is there any lag at all?

I do both (watch sports + Video games) and I love the TV. Good black levels, Excellent picture quality and no lag or "ghosting". Some minor banding, but not really noticable unless I'm looking for it against a grey screen so I can live with it, although it has been temping to call Sharp and set up a warranty claim, considering those folks at AVS that did it report that if you complain long/loud enough, Sharp sends you a 92U for a replacement. We will see.

If you are in the market for an LCD now, I would probably point you towards either the Samsung LN-T or the new Aquos 92U. Better PQ, Black Levels and inputs.