Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Acc-Risk
Sep 28, 2001

Video:
Sony 46" LCD HD RPTV

Audio:
Yamaha RV-1105 Receiver
Denon 1930ci DVD
Jeff Rowland Model 201 Power Amp
Adcom GFA-555 Power Amp
Paradigm Monitor 9 Mains
Paradigm CC-350 Center
Paradigm CC370 Rear
Citation 7.4 14" Subwoofer

Random other stuff like a Tivo, handy little Linksys Network Media Device and such...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acc-Risk
Sep 28, 2001
Overhaul time... Only posting since I'm getting excited.

Dropped my Yamaha receiver for a Harmon/Kardon, which is temporary (see below.)
Just aquired 2 more Rowland amps, which brings my total to 3. I've got my eyes on an Anthem AVM 20, so I'm going to use the H/K for now until I can find a small amp for the rear channels that will fit, (I have an Adcom GFA-555 that I'll trade towards an Adcom 535 I think if all goes well.) I've got a set of B&W DM683's on order that will be here Thursday that will replace the Paradigm fronts, and a set of B&W DM602's I just bought on closeout that will be the rears... So the current setup is/will be hopefully...

Sony 46" LCD HD RPTV
Anthem AVM 20 Preamp
Jeff Rowland Model 201 Power Amp (3)
Adcom GFA-535 Power Amp
Denon 1930ci DVD
B&W DM683 Mains
B&W DM602 Rears
Paradigm CC-350 Center
Madrigal Citation 7.4 Subwoofer

I have a few more days to see if my deal on the Anthem goes thru. If not, I'm happy with the way things are... I like the H/K a lot. Really nice receiver... Enough that I'd recommend it to others.

Photos from tonight. Lighting is pretty low so they are weak at best...

Acc-Risk
Sep 28, 2001

.Nathan. posted:

What stand is that? Looks great.

Best Buy... :)

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8193554&type=product&id=1165609791326

Acc-Risk
Sep 28, 2001

.Nathan. posted:

Also, which HK is that? Any chance of some more pictures? I'm trying to decide how the silver on it would look in my predominately black set-up. In some pictures they look really bright silver, and in others they look almost gray.

The 600 and 700 series are a brushed aluminum face, so there's your bright silver. Anything below that is grey plastic.

Acc-Risk
Sep 28, 2001
It's been 2 long months... I knew this upgrade was going to hurt since so much had to change... In order to migrate to a processor, I had to free up my power amp driving the sub. One thing led to another and I ended up with this...

Velodyne SPL1200II

I am absolutely sold on Velodyne now.

So now that my I have full use of amplification, I needed a processor. I had originally leaned towards Anthem but after playing with it a bit, I didn't like it. The NAD M15 was out of my price range so I went with a Rotel RSP-1068.

Everything I could want and more. Still dialing things in but it's a huge improvement over the Harmon Kardon I was using before.

And of course I mentioned that I wanted to get away from Paradigm.

The 805S was a little out of my range right now, So I opted for some 705's. These coupled with the new sub are just magical. I'll move up to 805's later on but I'm not in a terribly big hurry.

And as things are now... Still trying to figure out if I can move couches around so that I can put everything on the other wall. I'd be much happier that way...

Acc-Risk fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Mar 30, 2008

Acc-Risk
Sep 28, 2001

Owsla posted:

Beautiful gear, drat.

Thank you very much. It's been a very enjoyable experience to just sit down and listen this weekend.

Acc-Risk
Sep 28, 2001

BabyRyoga posted:

Still looking for some opinions on what I should upgrade next in my setup.

Receiver: Yamaha RX-V663
Fronts: Blueroom Minipod x 2
Center: Acoustic Research AR4C
Surrounds: Acoustic Research AR17 x 2
Subwoofer A: Sony SA-WM40
Subwoofer B: Sony SA-WM500

Should I keep the 2 lower-end subs for now and get some new fronts so I can rotate the older speakers to back for 7.1, or should I get rid of the subs first and get something in the 500-600 range to replace them?

I think if it were me, I would look at the weakest components first... Replacing the subs is a good start... $500-600 would get you a dynamite used sub... Velodyne SPL1000, B&W 675, etc.

Acc-Risk
Sep 28, 2001
If you can get into the ceiling (attic or whatever) you can drill a hole in the top plate and drop your speaker wire into the wall, then install banana plug wallplates. Great for surround as I HATE running speaker wire around a room.

Acc-Risk
Sep 28, 2001
I wanted to repost since I've changed a few things. First and foremost, I took delivery of my B&W 805S's yesterday. I really liked my old 705's but the difference between the two is astounding.

Converted my Velodyne to passive and added a fourth 201 to drive it. I'm a lot happier. Nothing against powered subs but it's a LOT more controlled now. Ditched the Denon DVD for a PS3 as well. Only bitch there is I wish the HDMI and Optical outs worked simultaneously. I hate having to go into menus to switch audio. Added a Squeezbox Duet a while back also. All of that along with a ton of cabling is hidden under the bottom shelf.

And finally made some speaker cabling. $50 for everything and I'm thrilled with how it turned out. Beats a lot of the store bought premade stuff. Locking bananas and gold spades on the amplifier side. Still have to make more for the center and sub.

Next up for replacement is the TV. That'll be a while yet I think... Need to recover from this upgrade first.

Acc-Risk
Sep 28, 2001

kri kri posted:

What are the connecting cables called?

The little ones? Those are the biware jumpers that came with the speakers. The long ones are the ones I made.

Acc-Risk
Sep 28, 2001

Ahz posted:

It does, I use optical and hdmi for all my ps3 output. You sure you saved your settings in the PS3?

Yeah, sure did. But the second I select one output, the other one shuts off. I've never had both working at the same time :/

Acc-Risk
Sep 28, 2001

porksmash posted:

Just curious, why do you need both?

And to clarify, I'm sure you mean the audio through HDMI shuts off when using optical out, not HDMI shutting off altogether.

That's correct. The reason I need both is... When my girlfriend watches, she just wants to turn on the TV without having to fire up processors and amplifiers. I can't pass digital through the TV as it only passes 2 channel. So right now, I just have to switch it in the PS3 menus :/

Acc-Risk
Sep 28, 2001
Funny you should say that. I actually am listening to a set of 601's as I type this. Great speaker.

Now comparing the 705 and 805s. The 705 is definitely brighter, but the 805 is smoother. That's really a good word for it. Smooth. Punchy as well. The low end is noticably more defined. Even in my listening space which is way less than ideal, I'm blown away every time I listen.

Don't get me wrong, I love the 700 series, and I would certainly buy them again. But the 800 series really is something else. I see now why people hold on to them and only let go to move up in the product line. If you get the chance to listen to a set, do.

I paid right at $2200 including stands. I see them fly for less tho but you have to act quick (Audiogon, Ebay, etc.) I boght mine sight unseen after hearing a set of 804's. Normally I would want to audition something in that price range but I took a chance and was not disappointed.

Acc-Risk
Sep 28, 2001
drat Listen Up had a clearance sale on some Rotel stuff. Picked up an RLC-1040 conditioner, (same as the APC, but with Rotel styling,) and an RDV-1045 that I'm just using as a transport. More convenient than using the PS3 for just a quick audio CD. Also built a Sanus rack. Found out that if you buy a a bunch of the small 5" pieces, and some threaded rod from Home Depot, you can piece the small pieces together and get pretty much create any shelf height you want.

And before someone mentions it, the Sub isn't sitting on that shelf. I'm spiking the sub THROUGH the shelf with 4 holes drilled into it. That way I could have it still there but have it isolated from the rack.

And I got rid of that DLP. Much happier now. Still trying to get a hold of an RMB-1085 to drive the rear channels. That'll take up the last space with the processor.

After a long weekend and many monoprice orders later...

Acc-Risk
Sep 28, 2001
I would give both nuts to have the room that you guys do. Living in an apartment is just killing me.

I know I know... Interest rates are falling...

Edit: My cats would love that catcave

Acc-Risk
Sep 28, 2001

Omegaslast posted:

4 jeff rowland m201s?? arent those things like $4000 a piece... one of those costs more than pretty much my whole audio system. did you get a deal?

I do all of his IT work so that paid for part of it. I originally started out with 3, then lost the amp on the sub. So I converted it to passive and he made me a deal on the 4th. The Velodyne people were being lovely about the amp and the warranty time so I haven't even sent it in for repair yet.

Acc-Risk
Sep 28, 2001

Omegaslast posted:

drat you do THE jeff rowlands IT work... although if i were you i would sell two of those amps and buy 804Ds.

It's a funny story... But my girlfriend of 4 years is Sylvia Rowland. Maybe someday he'll be my father in law.

I probably won't do 803s until I move out of here. My ultimate plan is to move the 805Ss to the rear and go with 803Ds in the front. Space doesn't allow that right now. I think for the time being, I want to replace the TV stand and replace the HTM61 with an HTM4S. I can't really hang the LCD here so I'll have to find a way to make the Sansus TV stand work without the center pillar. I still don't have any rear channels but could really care less. I listen to music more than watch movies anyway. Apartment living does not mix well with this hobby.

Acc-Risk
Sep 28, 2001

grap3fruitman posted:

I really like the color. You can probably really warm it up with some carefully placed incandescent lighting through the room. I really like that room. I'd spend every second of my life down there.

Acc-Risk
Sep 28, 2001

MullardEL34 posted:

I don't believe I've posted my Stereo setup here yet. I'm a tube guy, as my name/avatar suggests.

That is the exact system I would want on a snowy winter night, with a fire going, nice glass of wine, girlfriend curled up in a blanket next to you, playing Fleetwood Mac...

Best way I can describe it. Nice stuff!

Acc-Risk
Sep 28, 2001

Saukkis posted:

I wonder if it would improve the sound to move the speakers a bit beyond the wall corner and pillar. At least theoretically.

I had mine back just a hair and it threw off the imaging to the point that it sounded like all material was mono. I have a bad enough problem with separation without adding that.

Acc-Risk
Sep 28, 2001
Mr. Stares at Floor. I'd like to point out that the 555 II is one of my favorite amps of all time. I ran one for many years along with a 545 and aside from losing a transistor on the input stage, it really took a lot of abuse.

Good stuff!

Acc-Risk
Sep 28, 2001

King Hotpants posted:

And please don't post in all lowercase.

I used to do that too. It's a bad habit I picked up from my Unix admin days and it took me years to start using uppercase letters again.

Acc-Risk
Sep 28, 2001
I have the same unit with Rotel's name on the front and love it. Nice to know there's decent support should it crap out...

Acc-Risk
Sep 28, 2001
I've always liked the look of NAD gear...

Acc-Risk
Sep 28, 2001
$3500... really... That's awesome. So here's the deal, you can't just post that without some sort of description. I see some Outlaw, Behringer and Emotiva. Let's get some details.

And what made me giggle... was that poor little center on the floor. Knife to a gunfight...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acc-Risk
Sep 28, 2001
What I did was visited Lowes and bought their slimline LED undercabinet lighting, and a remote control system. Works great, maybe $40 invested. The remote is nice as it's just a keychain remote like a car alarm.