Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Acc-Risk posted:

It's been 2 long months...

Beautiful setup, I really like the high-gloss finish on the cabinet. I'm really diggin' the owls too!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

DoktorLoken posted:

My fantastically ghetto setup:

I still maintain those are the best speaker stands in the whole thread. I would LOVE a complete TV stand/component housing made out of concrete.

Also, I can't believe Faux News doesn't photoshop watermelon or something in behind Obama.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

I've got a pair of Infinity Primus 150's and an older Denon 5.1 channel receiver. It doesn't do HDMI, so I've got a Panny plasma with a Chromecast and not much else hooked to it and then optical out to the receiver. Any suggestions for a next upgrade? One of those Polk PSW10 subs is tempting, but I'm not totally sold.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Are you getting actual surround sound out from the TV to the receiver? Many TVs will only forward stereo audio on the optical link, which will let you do ProLogic "fake surround" but not DTS/DolbyDigital. (The receiver usually gives some indication about the audio format currently received.) If you do get full surround sound out (some high-end TVs do provide this), then you might also consider upgrading with a center speaker and/or surrounds!

Yes, a subwoofer is also a great upgrade, if you live in a house or have cool neighbours.

The only true DTS I get is when I'm watching broadcast TV. The optical out from the TV doesn't do passthrough. That's cool though, because the room is funny and surrounds would just be a pain (plus I rarely watch movies that would take advantage of surround, not much of an action guy).

I think it mainly comes down to: should I add a subwoofer or just upgrade the Primuses (Primii?) to towers? Looking for a bit more bass but open to other suggestions.