Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stingray 2.0
Mar 13, 2003

"They had no good cigars there, my lord; and I left the place in disgust." --Alfred Lord Tennyson, returning from Venice
What the hell, I could stand to get out of TFR a little more often.
Click for big:

TV: Samsung PCL5415R (current status: moderately weak link. Upgrading within a year or so)
DVD: Panasonic DVD-RP56 (weakest link, upgrading within a month or three)
PS2, Gamecube, DirecTivo
Receiver: Yamaha RX-V1700 (I love this thing. Self-calibration rules)

Front L/R: B&W 602.5 s3
Center: B&W LCR600 S3
Rears: (not pictured) B&W DS6 S3
Sub: Hsu Research VTF3-Mk3
Cat Toy: Feather w/ bells on a string

I obviously need to work on the wiring, but in my defense that pic is from a bit ago and it's a little tidier now. Not much, but a little. The whole setup is controlled by a Harmony 880. Plans for the future include adding another pair of DS6s to go to 7.1, doing the wiring up properly, getting a dvd player that didn't see me through four years of college with a computer case-modding itch so that now it has a window on top that makes it vibrate and hum at certain points on the disc, upgrading the TV, hacking the TiVo, and figuring out some way to fix the resonance issue in the room so stuff from 20-23hz doesn't vibrate poo poo off the left wall regardless of volume. Or more likely, better securing said poo poo. Also, new carpet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stingray 2.0
Mar 13, 2003

"They had no good cigars there, my lord; and I left the place in disgust." --Alfred Lord Tennyson, returning from Venice

Copernicus posted:

B&W DM640
Definitive Technology Inc, Powerfield 15 sub
Denon 2307ci

I'm thinking of buying the following to create a 5.1 setup (2.1 right now)

B&W LCR600 S3 (center)
B&W DS6 (surrounds)

Is it a bad idea? My room is 12' long, 10.5' wide, and 8' tall.
My living room is (roughly) 25'x20'x10', and I've got almost that exact speaker setup. I've got 602.5 S3s for the fronts, which I suppose are the 684s now, and a Hsu VTF3-Mk3 for a sub. Personally I have absolutely no complaints, but they may be a bit much for your room size. As far as sound quality, they are absolutely not a bad idea. I'm trying to convince my wife that we need another pair of DS6 to go to 7.1 now that we've finally upgraded our TV. There's a picture (with our old TV) back on page 8 for scale.

Stingray 2.0
Mar 13, 2003

Copernicus posted:

I just checked your set up out, I like how you're using your sub as a table for the phone and some light that resembles a bong.

I bit the bullet and bought the LCR600 and a pair of DS6 for 600 and change shipped to Los Angeles.

What is the best way to mount the DS6 so they don't fall on my head? If you look in my picture i'll be putting them on the back wall left and right of the bathroom door.

Right now I have my speakers bi-wired with some off the shelf monster cable that ken-crane had, the result is I have a lot of wires.

My understanding is bi-wiring is better? it's simple so i thought i'd do it. My center has 4 terminals, so i'm assuming i'll bi-wire that too. Or should I not?
The DS6es come with a little template and some rubber feet. They take three screws, in a triangle configuration, so just put the top screw into a stud and they'll stay up. The lower two screws don't have to be in a stud, but if you can swing it, it helps. The rubber feet also provide some friction/pressure to keep everything in place. It'll make more sense when you have them in front of you, but you should still try to get at least the top screw into a stud, which is why mine are slightly mis-aligned with each other. They also just have the two terminals, so bi-wiring is out from the get go.

My center is wired with this 13ga stuff, and since it's a) expensive for wire, b) a serious pain in the rear end to work with and c) my wiring is enough of a train-wreck already, I skipped the bi-wiring. The metal bridges that comes with this speaker are pretty good though; gold plated, nice and stiff, about 2mm thick and around .2 ohm from end to end according to my multimeter (and the terminals are closer than end to end obviously). If you've got the time, wire, and inclination I don't see any reason not to bi-wire, but I also don't think the extra effort is going to make much difference unless you're bi-amping as well. Just use the included crossbar and save the extra 10-15 minutes and ditch some wire clutter.