Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ScaryFast
Apr 16, 2003

Yes, I live in an unfinished basement that doesn't even have a ceiling, proper walls, or floor coverings. I also don't even have a proper sound system to match the tv so this is actually just an A/ setup.

But as soon as I move into a new place and can set things up properly I'll start looking into audio gear to go with the tv. I have an Xbox 360, but it resides on a shelf below my coffee table (which is under the tv in the above photo as I hadn't yet received my free stand from Sony to match the TV. Oh yeah, it's a 46" Sony Wega LCD rear-projection. A2000 or E2000, whichever is the 1080i, not the 1080p.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ScaryFast
Apr 16, 2003

I was going to put off posting pictures until I made some changes, but meh.

46" Sony Wega LCD Rear Projection (I forget the model, but it's 720p only)
Harman Kardon AVR-247 (up-converting all analog/digital inputs into a single HDMI output rocks)
Energy Reference Connoisseur RC-30 towers
Energy Reference Connoisseur RC-Mini center channel
Energy Reference Connoisseur RC-Mini satellite surrounds (not shown)
Xbox 360
I'd have a Wii in there somewhere but my roomate has one upstairs. She has a 42" 1080p Sharp Aquos LCD, some yamaha surround package that came with it, and the aforementioned Wii. I just steal it when I want to use it or use her TV.

I was planning to get the RC bookshelves with the matching tweeters and woofers(they match the RC-30's) but they're $800 and I don't feel like dropping that right now. I went out and bought the mini bookshelves though and to be quite honest, I like these. They're smaller, still sound awesome, and I don't know if I'll ever want to jump up to the big ones. I'm also not sure if I want a sub, as these towers put out quite a bit of bass on their own. Maybe when I buy a house and don't have to worry so much about my neighbours...

Here's a quick pano of the basement livingroom where my TV, stereo, and computers are.

On the far left is my HTPC in a crappy old case. Next week my new Lian-Li PC-V1200 arrives so my current PC's guts (right beside the HTPC) are going into it. Then the HTPC guts will go into the old black case which is a SHITLOAD quieter and cooler than that old beige beast. Should make the room less noisy and slightly better looking, because this room is fugly.

Next on my list is a reclining sofa and loveseat so I can get rid of the futon visible on the right and my crappy couch not pictured. I just need to train the kittens to not destroy everything they touch.

P.S. I'm also trying to figure out the best position for the tv, stereo, etc. I wish I could knock down a wall and get rid of an unused storage area under the stairs. It would give me many more options.

ScaryFast
Apr 16, 2003

Pibborando San posted:

No they're not?

Locally they are and even the mini version weighs a ton so shipping would probably make up the difference :P

ScaryFast
Apr 16, 2003

MrCodeDude posted:

What desk is that?

As Jeff8472 said, it's the Ikea Jerker (what a perfect name, suits me perfectly in more ways than one)

The current version is called the Frederik and it comes in a few different versions. There's a small one which is the same width, or maybe not as wide as the Jerker, and also around 25" deep instead of the 35" on the Jerker. Then there's the big one which is WIDER than the Jerker, and 28" deep.

They also don't have the monitor arm like my Jerker has on the left. the shelf under my monitor on my Jerker is a piece of wood I had kicking around with a matching finish that I just put up on some styrofoam blocks :P

ScaryFast
Apr 16, 2003

If I had an Ikea that wasn't in another country and 6+ hours drive away I would probably be thousands more in debt right now. Sure, you can order online, but shipping is not only almost as expensive as the item itself, but it takes a month or more to get here.

I ordered my Jerker from Ikea but, as mentioned, the shipping was almost as much as the desk and it took nearly a month to get here. Early in January I wanted to order 2 bookshelves and the site said they'd be ready to ship in February, and the shipping cost would have been way too high once again so I said screw it.

The closest Ikea is in Minneapolis which is 6 or 7 hours drive away. Otherwise, an Ikea in Canada is probably in Toronto, 18 hours drive away. My province is big :P

ScaryFast fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Jan 29, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ScaryFast
Apr 16, 2003

I bought a DVD/CD wall unit from Sears that arrive this past week. Put it together and now have a place for all my DVD's, xbox 360 games, and books!

The center channel is pushed to the side by my roomates cat who loves to lay on the glass above the HK receiver because it gets super hot. My next purchase is an audio stand/pier so that I can move the receiver and stuff out from under there just for the sake of cooling and easier access to the back.

150 or so paperbacks and all my dvd's and games with a few shelves left over for future purchases. And I have a normal mini bookshelf to stick on the right if I run out of room.

And last night I went out and bought a dark brownish/gray reclining sofa to replace an ancient uncomfortable sectional. It gets delivered next Friday. Let the home theater enjoyment begin!

/update I got my new couch on Friday. Here's a picture of it in place.

I'm color blind so when I bought it I thought it was brown but learned later that day that it's olive. While it looks a little weird to me in photos, it seems okay in person and everyone else tells me it's a good color that should go with everything. p.s. the panorama makes the room look skinnier than it is. The couch is further away from the TV a bit and sitting on far side of the futon is okay for watching TV. Also, fake wood panelling makes me want to throw up but it's a rental so I can't very well tear it down and put something nicer up. I wanna buy a house next year.

ScaryFast fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Mar 10, 2008