Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr_Angry
May 15, 2003
A severe disappointment
College Slice

I just purchased this new TV three weeks ago to replace my Philips 32 inch LCD TV as I wanted a 1080p setup. What you see is the Sony Bravia 52 inch KDL-XBR3 LCD TV and I couldn't be happier with it and got it at a great price. The system setup is as follows:
  • Sony Playstation 3 (the Blu-Ray player)
  • Xbox 360 with HD-DVD drive
  • Nintendo Wii
  • Yamaha DTS 5.1 surround system
  • Buffalo Ethernet converter (the antenna you see up top) to network it all the game systems and Comcast box
The only real issue is that to get true 1080p out of the HD-DVD drive on the 360 I have to use the HD VGA adapter and that particular model of Bravia TV is one of the few to do the right 1920 x 1080 resolution needed.

As far as the Philips I'm waiting for the bracket I ordered to arrive at which point I'll wall mount that in my bedroom, retiring the 13 inch Sanyo I've had since my college days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr_Angry
May 15, 2003
A severe disappointment
College Slice

Omegaslast posted:

If i were you i would get a nice bell'o stand thats big and wide. That is probably one of the nicest looking tvs out there and it looks sort of ridiculous perched atop a little skinny tv stand.
Yeah, point taken. When the set arrived faster then I expected I was understandably more interested in getting it set up and going then looking for the right stand. The stand the TV is on is rated for LCD's up to 60 inches and 150 pounds so I'm well within the limits but I do need to get some type or earthquake straps or something for it.

Omegaslast posted:

Hell you could just wallmount it since you have the media stand next to it. Of course your crib would be so badass with a wallmounted 52" XBR3 it might explode or something.
I've thought about it and I'd definitely have to call in the professionals on that one as there's no way in hell I'd trust myself to wall mount a 52 inch TV. I'd probably need to have the wall torn out and some type of bracing put up as well which only further complicates matters. Mind you my crib would only be bad-rear end if I wasn't in it; sadly I tend to take away from the coolness factor of pretty much anything.

Mr_Angry
May 15, 2003
A severe disappointment
College Slice

DoktorLoken posted:

Not to be rude, but why spend so much on a tv and not much on a surround setup? BEAUTIFUL tv though, if I had the means I would certainly consider one.
There is a surround sound setup, there are three speakers below the TV and then I have two on the left and right in the back of the room (that's what the Yamaha DTS 5.1 receiver is for). I'd get a better system but as I live in a condo and can already have people on the third floor know what movies I watch no sense getting more if I can't take advantage of it.