Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

complex
Sep 16, 2003

fossil005 posted:

How did you get lifetime on your Series 3? I could only get the 1, 2 or 3 years.

There was a short time when TiVo allowed you to transfer your lifetime from a Series 1 or 2 to a new 3. See: http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/rss/tivo-series-3-lifetime-subscription-transfer-go-live-200230.php

I have a Series 1 with lifetime and I have definitely gotten my money's worth, having owned my Sony SVR-2000 for ~4 years. I was thinking about doing the Lifetime transfer, but I don't even have an HDTV yet, and I think that PVRs will eventually become commonplace in cable boxes. In addition, TiVo has a large hurdle to overcome, requiring much more hard drive space in order to capture the uncompressed stream, while the cable companies can save the compressed data.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

complex
Sep 16, 2003

Little Tortilla Boy posted:

Might I ask how you are running optical from your MacBook? As far as I know there is no optical out on a MacBook, and I just flipped mine on its side to check. I might be picking up some new Logitech speakers for mine in a few months, and if I could do optical, it'd be sweet!

The headphone port is a combo toslink/regular headphone port. See: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=303722 My mini has the same thing.

complex
Sep 16, 2003

mattfl posted:

Please tell me what those shelves are! I'm running out of room on what I got now and that looks like a sweet setup and expandable.

I'm not sure what those shelves are specifically, but a company called Rakks makes something similar. Look into their wall-mounted standards with extruded aluminum shelves. It really is expandable.

complex
Sep 16, 2003

Legrand has a cool kit. All my Legrand hardware (switches, outlets) has been solid.