Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

Very nice. Quality work. I've been very impressed with my Sonance Symphony speakers. What are you running for the rest of your setup audio-wise?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

Nice setup. I bet those Daytons sound great. I'm very limited in my living room so running 4.1 with Sonance s625t fronts and s624tr rears.

Impressed with them for non cabinet speakers. I will have a dedicated theater in the next house.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

jonathan posted:

Going to be doing a theater and bar room renovation soon. Currently the theater room has a storage space beside it that is under the stairs leading to the main floor. This is where I have my $50 plastic equipment rack.

I'm going to be converting to an acoustically transparent screen sitting on the close side of the opening (also going to install a frame and door). Since the entry way to the storage will be blocked by the screen, I'd like to cut a hole in the wall, and frame in some recessed shelving for the equipment, and maybe some dimmable led lighting controlled by a smart hub that fades with the room lighting.

Since all my speaker wiring already is run into that room, this seems like a no brainer. Am I missing anything ?

My first question would be: Do you still use hard media? (blu-rays) Or is there any other reason you'd need physical access to the front of the equipment to run it?

If the answer is no, or could be no, I'd not bother with a cut through. I would put the equipment on a rack in that storage room and then get a Harmony Hub or equivalent that will let you control it all from the main theater room. It leaves it out of sight and gives you great access to the front and back of the equipment. Not having access to the equipment or having it in a cramped space gets really old, really fast.

Edit: A normal rack can still work fine for you even if you have non-rack mountable equipment. They make a multitude of different shelving options that are 1u, 2u, etc. Would be the same as setting the devices up on a shelf in an a/v stand.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

They just broke ground on our house. I had them make one of the bedrooms 6 feet longer for a small theater 12x18 with a 10 foot ceiling.

Was going to get a small wall mount rack for the equipment closet that will house the A/V equipment for the theater and the networking equipment for the house.

Stumbled on a Facebook Marketplace ad for a Middle Atlantic slide out 37u rack for $150. Turned out to be a 42u. In good shape once I clean it up. It was a steal! These things are $1900. Overkill but rather too big than too small.