Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

grillster
Dec 25, 2004

:chaostrump:
My setup (mostly inherited):

Sharp 480p LCD TV
Technics SA-AX540 Receiver
Two free, old, loving loud and spectacular sounding speakers
Chipped Xbox running XBMC through the hi-def cable pack (at 480p)
A not-in-picture Intel iMac running a 300 GB library of media over Samba (and XBMC hates it most of the time)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grillster
Dec 25, 2004

butterthatbacon posted:

Ah, dorms. This pic contains (more or less) everything I own that isn't clothes.

The speakers are my first attempt at microbes, they came out alright, although the finish came out a lot better on my next pair.

I have a model receiver that's similar to that. Does it have the hilarious Help/Reset button that just seems to make the display say "operating correctly now" when you press it?

grillster
Dec 25, 2004

Since the last time I posted, I've redone my setup. I purchased a turntable and mounted my TV on the wall. I used to have the cables for the television mounted in the wall, but I took them out to donate something to my neighbor. I'm moving out in two weeks anyhow, so it doesn't even matter.

The heart of the setup. I have a dedicated server in another room for all the media I run through the Xbox. The iMac and it's 20" Samsung companion are used for high definition stuff.

I got that Technics turntable from some dude off of Craigslist for like $50. It's really nice for being older than I am.

My speaker setup. I got these for free, and one day I'll build some new cabinets, as these rattle a lot.

Components:
Chipped Xbox running XBMC
Technics Receiver
19" Sharp 480p LCD
Technics SL-1950
Two Technics 3 component speakers from the 1980s

grillster
Dec 25, 2004

xkem posted:

How much was the wall mount for that TV stand?

grillster
Dec 25, 2004

xkem posted:

$70

Don't use the screws or bolts that come with it though, they aren't strong enough for that size TV. You'll have to buy seperate ones.

There was a PS3 with this setup, but its just been sold. I guess it wasn't all that entertaining. The 7.1, however, goes off its loving head.

Haha I was mocking your sideways-oriented pictures :p, but nice setup anyhow.

grillster
Dec 25, 2004

I think this is the second or third time I've posted in this thread, but now it is time for an update!

I've since moved out of my parents house and into an apartment. I'm running XBMC with the latest MediaStream skin on a chipped Xbox which is linked to a 300 GB server in my bedroom with all the media on it. The speakers are some badass old Technic's from when I was about four years old, but they sound so awesome that I don't really need a center channel at this point. I've got two lovely HTiB surrounds in the back that do the job okay for now. I'm thinking of getting a couple of studio monitors for my bedroom, as the stereo I bought has support for another zone.

Parts:
37" Vizio 720p LCD
Onkyo TX-SR506 (loving AWESOME for the price, which was like $300 new)
Technics vinyl player (no amp for it yet :()
Modified Xbox running XBMC
Stock PS2 that barely does widescreen

I just have to get over the fact that I'm stuck with loving beige for a wall color. :catholic:

grillster
Dec 25, 2004

Juriko posted:

Update posts are awesome. I am about to do an update, but i am waiting for my matrix switch to come in so I can do my rewiring. I also need to build the frame for my screen.

Also be glad your walls are beige. It took me drat near a year to get them to let me paint my walls from that ugly rear end pure white. Now my walls are some color they call toller. All I know is I would rather be stuck with beige than eggshell white.

Well, to be honest, they will let me paint but I don't want to have to repaint in eight months when I'm out of this creaky old shack.

Also, that TV is mounted on the wall with one of these $30 Monoprice mounts, and I think this is an example of it done right. I didn't want to clutter up my cheap Ikea ($70 and that actually fit unassembled into an xA) table with a TV, since I would have absolutely murdered my new stereo from heat if I stuck it inside of it.

Thanks though. I'll have to check back soon for your update. This is definitely my favorite thread in my bookmarks.

grillster
Dec 25, 2004

Blakkout posted:

I like your setup, considering what you had to work with. Where'd you get those squares on the wall opposite the records?

Thanks.

I went over to the art store, bought a bunch of blank canvas squares and painted them. In all it was around $70, which included the brush.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grillster
Dec 25, 2004

Legdiian posted:

Here are some pictures of my work in progress. I don't have many construction pictures but basically I turned my living room walls and ceiling into Swiss cheese to move all my components to a rack in the closet. While I was at it I installed a cove ceiling with 3 color led rope lighting and mounted my plasma on the wall. I'm especially proud because I did all the work myself and have never done anything like this before.

Click here for the full 1024x768 image.

Devices shown :

- Pioneer PRO-1150HD
- PMC GB1 speakers (loaners until my OB1i and CB6i show up)
- Velodyne HGS-18

That is extremely clean. It looks great.