Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cold Old
Jan 6, 2005

Two what?
lovely image, but you get the idea of my work in progress.

DIY screen (120" x 68"), DIY front subs (the pair of bare mdf 2x12" towers), 7 channel surround, Panasonic PT-AE300U projector for a low end HDTV image, bass shakers in the couch, and a bunch of random amplification to a mish mosh of speakers. Xbox 360, Dish Net HDTV, and an Oppo 970 DVD player are my main sources. I've actually got a total of 8 12" subwoofer drivers, and 4 8" right near the sweet spot. It gets loud.

Its always getting fiddled with, but my next steps are a true matching 7 channel speaker set and a few Behringer amps for the low end.

Cold Old fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Mar 20, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cold Old
Jan 6, 2005

Two what?
This is my "in process" basement home theater. Yes, the speakers are too loud, too gaudy, and I like it that way. The front speakers, rear speakers, and sub towers are all made by me, the screen frame I made, and the equipment rack is scavenged from my work when we closed down an old office.

I'm getting married in a few weeks so I got this done to this point so it could be "grandfathered in" to the house. None of the stuff is top of the line, most of it is things I bought used, closeout, or haggled for. I've got maybe $3500 into the whole thing (not counting labor) and besides its lack of esthetics; I would say it would rival a home theater costing many times that amount!

On to the pics

Equipment list:

Outlaw 990 Processor
Emotiva LPR-1 7 channel amp
Panasonic PT- AE300U Projector
Behringer EP1500 powering the 4x12” subs under the screen
Behringer EP2500 powering the two sub towers flanking the screen
OPPO 970 DVD player
Samsung BD-P1500 Blu Ray
Wii
Runco PFP-7 Video Processor (for upscaling the Wii, LD, and VHS output to 720P)
Custom HTPC running XBMC for mkv and other video
ADC DSS 100 Bass processor
Belkin Pure AV power conditioner

I just finished the front towers this week, i always wanted to build line arrays. Not sure if I like them yet or not, I still need to tweak and break them in.

(Sorry for the crappy pics, I'm not much of a photographer and the lighting down there played hell with my camera)

Cold Old fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Oct 23, 2009

Cold Old
Jan 6, 2005

Two what?
I came up with the design myself. Honestly, there isn't a whole lot of science behind them other than searching for "speaker lot" on eBay and finding deals. I ended up getting the mids and tweeters from the same guy who was selling closeout lots from speaker manufactures.

The 8's in the towers and the 12's in the sub towers are Elemental Design's EHQS subs that they were closing out a year ago.

I figured with the line arrays, throw enough drivers at them and its has to sound good. So far, so good. My girlie is away this weekend so I've got some metal DVD's, a case of beer, and am breaking things in and tweaking, all at extreme volume levels. So far, so good. The low end craps out a lot quicker than the line arrays, but i figure I've got 3800 watts (per Behringer's specs, I bet is is a half or two thirds of that real world) going to the subs, and only 150 watts to the towers. They are not the best subs, so I'm throwing a lot of power at low-mid range sub drivers, so I'm getting some bottoming out when I turn it up. I guess I could lower the level on the bass processor, but what the hell fun is that. Plus, I'm getting some really bad room cancellation, but it's not like a single 10" sub that I can reposition around the room to find the best positioning. I think my next move is to build some bass traps to fart around with the placement

To answer the question above, its 32 tweeters (they are 4 ohm, so I wired them in series - parallel in a magical combination to make the final load 8 0hms), and 16 mids (8 ohm speakers, so the same magic as the tweets, divided by two), plus 2 8 inch woofers. I just used some stock 3 way crossovers from Parts express that matched the specs of the drivers. They are 7 feet tall.

Cold Old fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Oct 24, 2009

Cold Old
Jan 6, 2005

Two what?

bEatmstrJ posted:

Its just so... Manly... (I'm pretty sure manly can also be substituted for any of the following: Awesome, unnecessary, inefficient, "hi-end", ridiculous, and 100 other words.)

Thanks, I'd use all of those descriptions except for "high end."

Put is this way, ever seen a tractor pull? Some guys bring machines with a highly tuned, turbo diesel helicopter engine. And some dudes show up with a tractor with 5 Chevy 350's jury rigged together. These definitely fit into category #2, but that's what makes them fun!

Cold Old
Jan 6, 2005

Two what?

Acc-Risk posted:

$3500... really... That's awesome. So here's the deal, you can't just post that without some sort of description. I see some Outlaw, Behringer and Emotiva. Let's get some details.

And what made me giggle... was that poor little center on the floor. Knife to a gunfight...

I can't argue with you on the center. Its a Jamo that I got a few years ago but that thing kicks like a mule. Next Spring I think I'll build a center that is the same size as the cabinets under the screen, with 8 tweets, 4 mids, and two 8's. I've got all of the drivers leftover from the tower project. In the mean time, the little one holds its own!

Here's what I paid for everything:

Screen and Projector - $500 from a buddy that moved into a new house and had to convert the existing Home Theater into and office.
Outlaw 990 Processor -$450 shipped from eBay (used)
Emotiva LPR-1 7 channel amp - $550 B stock from Emotiva
Behringer EP1500 - $250 eBay
Behringer EP2500 - $300 used from eBay
OPPO 970 DVD player - $200 new from Oppo
Samsung BD-P1500 Blu Ray - $75 from eBay, dented on back
Wii - Free, its my fiance's
Runco PFP-7 Video Processor (for upscaling the Wii, LD, and VHS output to 720P) - $150 used from eBay. Video Processors do not hold their value!
HTPC - Free, got it from a coworker because it didn't boot. Reseated the SATA cable to the Hard Drive and it was fine. Offered it back but he had already bought another, told me to keep it
ADC DSS 100 Bass processor - $50 from eBay
Belkin Pure AV power conditioner - $50 from eBay, listed as one of the outlets not working, everything works 100%

Add in $150 or so in cabling (from Monoprice), and that gives me about $2750 in the stack, leaving $750 or so for the speakers. Since the speakers are DIY and none of the drivers are very exotic, the only other costs are wood and finishing. That sounds about right. The 12" subs are from Elemental Designs when they closed out the EHQS line, got them for $12.50 each, and the 8"s for $5.00 apiece