Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Traxx
May 5, 2005

Lt. Jebus posted:

The HD standard includes widescreen. 4:3 CRTs that were refitted into "HDTVs" are capable of 1080i (540p) but aren't widescreen are sort of a bastardized HD spec.

Don't want to nitpick but that is a 720p TV. It will support 1080i signals, but it will convert them to 720p internally.

There are no LCD/Plasma/DLP/LCOS TVs that are native 1080i. The only TVs that ARE 1080i are HD CRTs.

I'm surprised this went on so long before you were corrected.

There have been several brands of flat panel displays that have only accepted 1080i signals. Most consumer Panasonic panels in the early generation (*PX20) were 1080i/480p only, and the most recent generation of Hitachi panels were ALIS, which also natively did 1080i. Several others had this same effect.

The only types of TVs that can natively show a 1080i and 720p image are CRT tubes and CRT projectors. They can adjust the scanning frequency to speed up to 1080i or slow down to 720p. All other types of TVs (fixed pixel displays) down/upconvert to their native rez.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Traxx
May 5, 2005

Lt. Jebus posted:

I'm as surprised as you are, since I'm unsure how you natively display an interlaced signal on a what is certainly by definition a progressive display. Care to elaborate on the technology behind this magic? A Google search shows a Panasonic *PX20 as either a 1024x768 in the 42" or 1366 x 768 in the 50". Certainly not 1080 native. Just because it accepts those inputs doesn't mean there isn't some scaling going on. I know the TV's manual says to input a 1080i signal, which seems to me to be a backwards rear end approach of only accepting a 1080i signal and than down-converting to the panels native res, but it certainly doesn't change the fact that no flat panels are natively interlaced.

You got the CRT part mostly correct, except you have it backwards. Your "scanning frequency" needs to slow down for 1080i (since it only needs to draw 540 lines per field) or speed up for 720p.

Obviously the panel itself, by the nature of construction, cannot be interlaced... the individual pixels are always "on," even when black, regardless of the source signal.

The Panasonics/Hitachis I mentioned only accept 1080i as their native resolution, and scale anything else to the resolution of the panel, which can be any wacky number the panel is designed for. No matter how illogical it may seem, the TV would preform better by feeding it a 1080i rather than a 720p (which 90% of other plasmas use).

The older Panasonics had a rectangular pixel design, and the ALIS panels have some interesting method as well (don't remember exactly, but it is different than any other manufacturer), so that's why you're getting bizarre resolutions.