Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ooner
Sep 24, 2005

Polaroid FCM-3232 LCD (32")
Cox cable box
TiVo Series 2
Combo VCR/DVD

I used to have a cheap Kenwood receiver and surround sound but got rid of it to make everything fit in/on the cabinet I built, but now I sort of wish I'd have kept some kind of sound system because the built-in speakers on this TV are for poo poo. I tried the headphone jack but I get a buzzing sound when the TV is turned off. I'm still trying to figure out some workaround that doesn't involve me opening this cabinet or rewiring much.

Ooner fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Mar 20, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ooner
Sep 24, 2005

The TV isn't as big as I'd like but it's not in the budget right now and I feel like any bigger would need a different stand/mount so as not to look (and be) ridiculously top-heavy. No fancy equipment, just a cheap Polaroid FLM3232 TV, Wii, a 10 year old DVD (and Divx lol) player, and a Tivo HD.

The speakers on the TV sort of suck and I'd like to have a proper audio setup but I hate cords, really hate having to screw around with multiple remote controls and my attempt at using one of the expensive Harmony all-in-ones was not successful.

Ooner
Sep 24, 2005

C0lin posted:

Would you consider getting a sound bar? You could just mount it right under your tv. Does the TV speaker thing come off?

The TV speaker doesn't come off but it wouldn't bother me to have a sound bar in addition. I think I might wait until I upgrade the TV but I'll most likely go with a sound bar option when the time comes. My problem with my A/V system before when I had surround was that the audio from each component had to go into it and I had to change to the right input every time I switched from the TV to the DVD player or whatever.

My ideal situation would just be a TV with a set of audio out RCA jacks and a sound bar with one input. Is there such thing as a good sound system that uses exactly one cable?

Ooner
Sep 24, 2005

Mugmoor posted:

Where'd you get that shelf for your components? I could use something like that in my setup to hold my stuff.

I built it, but it's modeled after the Muro media storage unit they sell at DWR:

http://www.dwr.com/product/muro-media-storage-unfinished.do

There's also a nicer (and more expensive-looking) frosted glass version of the same unit.