Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

FromTheSuburbs posted:

Finally, a television to be proud of and reason to post:

Click here for the full 1600x1200 image.

• Samsung LN46A650
  • Xbox 360
  • Wii
  • Sony old-as-gently caress 5.1 receiver
  • HD-DVR

Any pointers on improving the current aesthetic is appreciated. I am keeping the left area clear for now for a PS3.

Also, a question for those with hardwood floors- how are you handling your rear satellite speakers? I'm currently using a Rocketfish wireless receiver which works well enough. I would ultimately like to get the rears wall-mounted; being on the 1st floor of a 3-story condo and two cats both want to crush my dreams, however.

What the hell. Why is your TV like 6 feet in the god damned air.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

McCracAttack posted:

I don't think wall mounts are ever received well in this thread.

I could care less about it being wall mounted, but it looks retarded to have your tv floating so high up. It is almost understandable in the fireplace situation, but his tv is mounted higher than his shelving unit. That is just silly.

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

FromTheSuburbs posted:

Jesus, it's like looking at the FedEx logo. I knew there was something about my setup that was just off. My TV is ridiculously high in the air.

The speakers I plan on mounting regardless; aside from taking down the television, I may try to find some wall shelving for the components.

The fact that you didn't notice is making me laugh. Yah, the wall under your TV has a case of 12 head.

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

The Dave posted:

Oh come on now. There are three pieces of furniture in this picture, and all three are very different wood tones.

Seriously. I don't think you necessarily have to match all your stuff exactly, but the only way in which those pieces are similar is that they are not dark hardwoods.

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

King Nothing posted:

Interesting...when I mounted my TV several of my friends thought it was mounted too high but I thought it looked right. I just checked and the center of the mount is almost exactly 64" above the floor.

Click here for the full 1024x768 image.

Focal fronts and center channel, Essex SW2 sub, Panasonic XR-57 receiver, Vizio 32" LCD. Not pictured (since they were purchased after the picture) is my Wii and Mac Mini that I use as a HTPC.

I think that is more a function of its size than anything. A 32 inch television sitting center at 64 is going to seem a lot higher than a 52. To be honest I think what you have looks fine. I also don't have a problem with piers or stands under wall mounts. I see them as simply a way to hang a tv. I think the ability to angle and rotate them is the strongest point, and one that you can only get with a wall mount or a stand mount. My friend has a 60 inch on a rotating mount because he is a big vertical shmup fan. It is pretty crazy when you see him rotate his 60 inch tv vertical.

I personally have a fixed mount screen for my projector and a LCD. My screen is 64" AFF but I run my LCD below it at about 28". We mostly use TV for gaming or casual watching though.

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

grillster posted:

I think this is the second or third time I've posted in this thread, but now it is time for an update!

I've since moved out of my parents house and into an apartment. I'm running XBMC with the latest MediaStream skin on a chipped Xbox which is linked to a 300 GB server in my bedroom with all the media on it. The speakers are some badass old Technic's from when I was about four years old, but they sound so awesome that I don't really need a center channel at this point. I've got two lovely HTiB surrounds in the back that do the job okay for now. I'm thinking of getting a couple of studio monitors for my bedroom, as the stereo I bought has support for another zone.

Parts:
37" Vizio 720p LCD
Onkyo TX-SR506 (loving AWESOME for the price, which was like $300 new)
Technics vinyl player (no amp for it yet :()
Modified Xbox running XBMC
Stock PS2 that barely does widescreen

I just have to get over the fact that I'm stuck with loving beige for a wall color. :catholic:

Update posts are awesome. I am about to do an update, but i am waiting for my matrix switch to come in so I can do my rewiring. I also need to build the frame for my screen.

Also be glad your walls are beige. It took me drat near a year to get them to let me paint my walls from that ugly rear end pure white. Now my walls are some color they call toller. All I know is I would rather be stuck with beige than eggshell white.

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

grillster posted:

Well, to be honest, they will let me paint but I don't want to have to repaint in eight months when I'm out of this creaky old shack.

Also, that TV is mounted on the wall with one of these $30 Monoprice mounts, and I think this is an example of it done right. I didn't want to clutter up my cheap Ikea ($70 and that actually fit unassembled into an xA) table with a TV, since I would have absolutely murdered my new stereo from heat if I stuck it inside of it.

Thanks though. I'll have to check back soon for your update. This is definitely my favorite thread in my bookmarks.

I am out of here in 6 months but, it was totally worth it. I didn't paint the entire apartment though; only my room. At this point I am a career bachelor so until I have the savings and income to get a condo it's roommates for me. I can't wait to have a place I can actually do real work on. My home is my little sanctuary so I love being able to design the hell out of it. It is almost a sickness. Trying to get extra hours in at work just to buy throw pillows is funny AND sad.

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

Z posted:

Screencat is simulated :v:

Samsung 42" LCD, 360, Logitech Z680s, TV stand is from Ikea.

The picture on the right above your stand is crooked :colbert:

Also gently caress monoprice. I ordered 6 cables and a matrix switch last week and today I got a box with a single cable and my invoice. I am a very unhappy camper.

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

Glottis posted:

I'm pretty sure that I have gotten things in 2 separate shipments from them before, fyi.

They didn't give me more than one tracking number and normally they alert you and give you more than one invoice. I mean, it is possible they did a second box and it was a mistake. This won't stop me from buying from them again. I have just been excited to try out the matrixing switch, and it is like being a kid on christmas opening a gift and having the toy be broken. An affordable hdmi matrix switch that actually works is like the holy AV grail, and supposedly this latest version does the trick.

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

Omegaslast posted:

drat, was hoping it was some htpc type stuff that just copied kaleidescape REALLY WELL. is my $20,000 mark off? more like $5,000ish?? does it do bit perfect copies of dvds video and audio or does it compress them?

about the tv frame.. i thought it actually encased the tv, kinda hard to tell whats going on since i assume you painted the wall black behind it.

this guy did something similar:
http://av123forum.com/showthread.php?t=28285

he used red which i liked but dont think that would fit with your room.

If you just want the DVD cover wall that is pretty easy to do in a lot of the HTPC apps. My XBMC skin I work on off and on uses a similar view. And I thought I was being original :( .

Not exactly the same, but you could get drat close in XBMC if you learn their skinning format and are good at picking up XML style formatting. Plus I think they accept python if you needed to script something.

Also Jesus Christ those speakers.

Juriko fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Sep 2, 2008

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

Legdiian posted:

MSRP on a KSERVER-1500, KPLAYER-6000 and (4) 1TB Drives is $16,470.00, so it's a little cheaper than you thought. It does perfect copies of DVDs with no compression.

I really wish I took more pictures of the install. Basically what I did was mount a Chief PLP Mount to the wall. I built a frame out of 1/2" x 8" wide pieces of MDF. The frame leaves about a 2" gap all the way around the plasma. I took some 2x4s and screwed them into the wall in a rectangle shape around the Chief bracket and then slid the MDF frame over the 2X4s and attached the frame to the 2X4s. I then took a single piece of 1/2" drywall and cut out a hole the size of the bracket and mounted the drywall to the 2X4s that were attached to the wall. Painted the whole thing flat black and mounted the plasma.

It looks great, and is a good example of a wall mount done really well. I think one of the hardest parts with a wall mount is by mounting the TV on the wall it becomes a decorative element, and that means you can't just place it however you want, and how you place it depends a lot on the space and the walls and ceilings. The frame helps a lot. I will say the uneven spacing between the two photos and the display is distracting though.

What made you go with the Kaleidoscope setup?

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

Legdiian posted:

Thanks. You are right about the spacing on the photos. I'm thinking about moving "Blown Away" closer to the display so it's the same distance away as "Kate Moss". However when watching movies at night you can't even see the pictures so I might just leave them.

I went with the Kaleidescape because I got a *very* good deal on it. The company I work for is an authorized dealer and I paid less than dealer cost for it. I install/use these systems all day so naturally I want one at home! I did retain my trusty XBMC to watch all my TV shows as not to eat up expensive drive space on the Kaleidescape.

Ahh I see. I guess from my perspective, aside from the sheer cost, I love having my DVD's shelved and handling disks. It is kind of silly really since it would be easier to get a few terabytes of networked storage and just serve it all on demand, but god I love it.

Even though with space getting cheaper I am still considering it.

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006
How long did it take you to catalog all of your dvd's I only have around 150 right now and it seems like it would take forever with even that small amount.

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

Legdiian posted:

We have a 200 disc bulk loader that makes the task of loading dvds much more bearable. It reads 2 discs at a time and averages about 10-15min per disc.

The more I think about it the more I want one. In the end I will probably just do H.264 copies of the movie sans features.

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

KennyG posted:

I'd question the truth of this. I doubt it's a sony based issue. Sony will get into huge anti-trust issues given the prior adjudication of the DVD CA case. It's a very similar license and the whole thing has been already been hashed. Now if it's a K doesn't want to pay the license premium or the fact that the technology is still rather expensive I understand that. But they are selling a $20K+ DVD archiving system... so I doubt they'd have trouble selling a $45k+ HD DVD archiving system. I just wouldn't be so sure it's exactly that Sony doesn't want them making the product.

All that said this is a hell of a luxury technology. I'd love to be able to store Blu-ray's on a massive hard disk array. My only hang up of the K system is that you can't use your own storage system. I would much rather use a multi-TB san that is far more robust and not pay the ludicrous premium of their 'propriatary hard disks' - I understand the server and the reader (well at least the server) but the hard disks are just crazy... like when Dell Charges $750 for a 1TB 7200rpm HDD.

I don't find it surprising at all to think that they would be holding back. While HD-DVD was providing ways for MS to do networked media distribution the bluray group was telling them to gently caress off and refusing to support any standard, even a secured one, for home media distribution of their content. Bluray has proven time and time again they don't want to cooperate when it comes to home media setups other than one TV and a bluray player.

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006
I live in a closet. Well not exactly a closet, but the worlds smallest apartment. So enjoy the fisheye perspective!

Yes, I know projector cable = bad. I had them covered to match the wall, but I added a new HDMI cable Tuesday, and now I have to get a new cover for the cables. I live in apartment so they look down on cutting holes into walls hide cable runs. I also hate that ceiling fan. Renting is frustrating.

No, my setup is not curved. Photo stitching is just that awesome. Showing today is

32" Sony Xbr2
Sanyo z5 & 84" screen
Panasonic SA- XR57
Philips DVP 5982
Direct TV HD box
PS2
Monoprice 4x2 matrixing HDMI switch
Inday component distribution amp
JBL something speakers.
Old Media PC Running XBMC
Harmony 550
Badass Mini fridge
Wicked big bear
Cheap sub mounted to the couch. Not a real buttkicker but still a lot of fun.

The shelves, tv stand, audio pier, and speakers stands were built by me. I still haven't gotten around to backing the shelves because I am lazy. I will probably back them with mirror panels. I also need to build a frame to border the screen, but work has been keeping me busy. You can't see them but the power cable situation is pretty bad. I think I need to build a mirrored cable box so I can hide the APC and excess power cables. I also am having a hell of a time finding the curtains I am looking for to finish the window off.

The matrix switch is pretty sweet. We game a lot at my place so being able to mix and match sources and components is useful. Want to play the 360 on the projector and retro game off the media PC on the LCD? Two clicks on the harmony and your ready to go.

I am seriously jealous of you guys that have real houses or condos. I am a big DIY guy, and I dream of being able to actually do some interior work. I have a horrible popcorn ceiling and this tacky fan. The entire place drives me nuts. I want a smooth ceiling, hardwood floors, and crown molding drat it!

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

glompix posted:

It looks like you've done some good stuff with your limited space. My floor plan doesn't even give me enough space to comfortably fit a coffee table in front of my couch. :smith:

Yah, I don't mind the space so much to be honest, but I hate the "build quality" of the place. It is just a cheap apartment. The thing is I would pay almost twice as much to rent a nice apartment, and that cost difference would be enough for me to personally redo half the poo poo I want to in the first month (redo the ceiling, new paint+molding etc) which is idiotic. I am holding out for a new job and a condo. The room itself is only like 11.5x15.

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006
Odd question but does anyone know of a compact florescent that can be dimmed by an electronic dimmer.

I have a IR controlled dimmer that I haven't been using for a while since the only thing that seems to work with it are incandescent bulbs.

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

The problem is with electronic dimmers. I am not even sure if they make a bulb that works with lutrons electronic dimmers. I know I can just pop a old bulb in, but I was hoping someone might be making one now.

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

kri kri posted:

Speaking of lighting - was it my best bet to set up a cheap light bias for my LCD TV?

LED's all the way. Either strand/rope lighting or under counter puck style lighting. Just make sure you can stand the brightness and color temperature.

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

Not an Anthem posted:

More pics/details on the pier- real wood or veneer and where did you get those legs? That's exactly the style I want to build, except I'll likely use mdf

It is a Birch plywood with hemlock facing. It was all made with a skill saw and really simple construction. No real jointing so to speak, just wood glue, some nails and bracing. It is finished with a ridiculous amount of a dark cherry stain(forget the actual color) and a lacquer. The feet are part of my little secret - random ikea parts. I wanted those legs, and it looked like I was going to have to spend 50 dollars per piece just for the legs if I ordered them online.

I learned a long time ago that the coolest thing about ikea is the fact you can just buy parts of furniture. Those are riser legs for their kitchen cabinets. I remembered seeing them so I bussed down and picked up all 8 of them for less than twenty bucks. Ill throw in some picks later. The construction is almost embarrassing really. I didn't have any real tools or space so it is like kindergarden carpentry.

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

Not an Anthem posted:

The legs really do it, I'll have to cop your style sorry mate ;)

DO IT. I am seriously flattered when people like my furniture. I love designing modern stuff with a bit of a classic look. I just wish I had more space and better tools. Id love to work with wrought iron.

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

"[panic posted:

"]
HDMI is your friend. So are cable ties.

HDMI is also an enormous pain in the rear end so prepare for a ton of trial and error.

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

Glottis posted:

Why is that? I've never had a problem.

Anyone here have any tips for repainting / recoloring speakers that have a faux-wood plastic veneer? I've got some that look like the ones below, and ideally I'd like to preserve the fake wood grain and make them a semi-gloss, very dark brown color.

If you move beyond a simple device to device setup HDCP slowly falls apart on the chain. Device to device is great, device to receiver to device can vary, but throw in another object in the chain and watch the handshake poo poo itself from time to time. I have a matrix switch and my xbox and dvd player love to fail their handshakes. When that happens I have to turn it all off and tun it on one by one in order. It is nice to get rid of 4 cables per device.

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

Omegaslast posted:

possibly, i dont know much about dying woods, let alone how vinyl will react. you might be able to just sand off the vinly or tear it off completely then veneer it but really that seems like a ton of work to put into $100 speakers.

Vinyl die might work, but you can just re-laminate them without removing the old stuff too. Laminating simple objects isn't too hard either.

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

niralisse posted:

Those are good reasons. It must be nice to have money. :(

I only spent a little more for my Sanyo Z5 and 32" Sony than I would have for just a 50 inch TV. The only big difference is the extra matrixing switch. I am far from rich, it just took me 3 years to buy it all.

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

cudwortho posted:

I'm pretty sure I read it on AVs Forums, but it was prolly 10 years ago.

For every sane thing said on AVS forums there are 10 crazy video/audiophiles spewing insanity. Even when some of it is true it is seldom worth the cost for the small improvement, or the improvement would only be seen in equipment far superior to your own.

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006
I am jealous of all you people who can use real subs. I would love to have one but given the market around here I will be living in apartments until I move or I die.

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

Phillyt posted:

I live in an apartment and have a sub. It really depends on the apartment. Mine is relatively new (built within the last 10 years) and I asked the people living below me to let me know if they ever have an issue with it. They haven't yet.

What kind of sub? There is a difference between a 200 dollar sub and a 600+ dollar sub doing sub 15hz. I have a sub to add a bit of boom, but when you start going really low on the frequency range it would feel like a small earthquake to the people around you no matter the building. Hell we can't even crank up the sub that loud at my friends house since they can hear/feel it in the house next to them(we are talking about a subwoofer the size of a large end table). It's just a completely different thing. You don't even hear it as much as you feel it at that point. I cant imagine any apartment being well proofed enough to prevent a sustained 10hz from shaking your neighbors.

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

Phillyt posted:

You are right. It is not a very good sub. I am just an undergraduate so it is satisfying for me. It's a Logitech Z-5500 sub. I still listen to my music pretty loudly if that means anything.

Ahh, see the issue here is mostly the type of sound. For games and movies a sub that can hit sub 15hz is just mind blowing. It is one of those things you never realized you wanted till you experience it. Cheap subs tend to have "boomy" bass, a very audible low end. Really low sounds are pretty much felt. In games and movies it is that sub 15hz that causes everything to rattle in a quiet scene. It is the low shacking of a thunderstorm in the distance; you don't hear it, you FEEL it.

That is also why you pretty much have to own a house to have one. it penetrates everything.

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

Omegaslast posted:

Thats a nice clean setup but man those infinitys look loving weird wall mounted.

It is funny because I think they look awesome. There is a kind of movement going on with interior design now though with people wall mounting loving everything which I find awesome so I am biased. I have seriously seen pretty much everything other than like couches and fridges wall mounted at this point. It is like people got tired of recessing everything and just went "lets bolt the fucker to the wall." Not rental friendly at all.

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006
Dark anything works. You want some color in the room, but for the paint to be dark enough that it goes black with the lights down. I use a dark red that is a bit more earthy, like terra-cotta but not nearly as orange.

With that much concrete you might want something with some pile to deal with echo. It seems like with such an empty room you will want something to absorb sound. Sound traps would probably be a decent idea too.

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006
Most likely they list it with that size limit because the back panel would dwarf the television and it would look odd otherwise.

Large TV's also become progressively less stable freestanding, so it makes sense to push it as an accessory even if it isn't really needed.

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

bEatmstrJ posted:

What the hell kind of room extends 38 feet? Do you live in a warehouse?

Probably a finished basement in a massive house in the burbs. I have seen some huge rec rooms in new construction.

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006
I will murder you for your view. Have fun trying to sleep.

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

dissss posted:

Never noticed that before but it is quite high. Weird old house I guess.

As for the view don't worry that's where the other couch is facing.

It actually looks to me like the door was flipped at some point, like it was originally installed in a different manner and instead of getting a new door they just did that.

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

man thats gross posted:

Thank you. And you're right, it is really uncomfortable. loving Ikea.

I actually really like my klippin :(

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

ShaneB posted:

Purchasing a really nice sofa is a way better investment into your overall happiness than any single A/V related item, trust me on this.

I get what your saying, but I genuinely find mine comfortable.

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

ShaneB posted:

I owned one, I can't see how this is possible. :) I mean it's bearable, yeah, but dropping $1200 or so on a Crate and Barrel Axis was never a regret for my fiancee and me.

I think we probably just have vastly different tastes in couches. I mean, if I was buying my long term couch I know what I would want and it is nothing like the axis.

eidt: you avatar is mesmerizing

Juriko fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Mar 23, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

Mugmoor posted:

Doesn't it drive you nuts that you can see that lone power cable reaching for the outlet?

As a renter cables are the bane of my drat existence. You try and try to do your best but there is that voice that always goes "just drill a hole in the goddamn wall." My future solution for my bedroom unit, which is where I watch 90% of my TV since I moved, is to build a stained plywood surface mount stand so I can just run all the cables behind that in the future. It does make me miss my previous place though.

ShaneB posted:

If you are thinking about something like some awesome mid-century eames sofa, I realized some time ago those suck for actually using as a living room sofa.

Haha no, I agree. Aside from the lounges most of the eames stuff I have sat on was actually surprisingly uncomfortable.

I can't find the thing online but there is a local place that carries a couch (bigger than a loveseat but smaller than a full on couch) with a lounge end that I love. It is a pretty standard modern gray affair.. It isn't even that expensive, but I am waiting to be roommate free before the Klippin hits the dump; or at least till I can claim the entirety of the living room. I can't seem to convince myself that dropping ~1200 a month in rent and utilities is something I want to do just so I can have a pretty living room.

The other half of me, the DIY builder nut, wants to make a couch myself. That half of me is retarded.

Juriko fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Mar 25, 2010