Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
No pics because I'm across the state ATM, but here's the core:

InFocus ScreenPlay 4805 (480p widescreen DLP projector)
Homebrew 96" screen
Onkyo 1000w 7.1 HTIB
XBMC-powered Xbox
Windows XP MCE PC w/ Hauppauge PVR150 and a VBOX Cat's Eye 150 HDTV tuner
File server w/ 1.5TB of media storage, about 70% full of movies and TV.

With this setup, I can play any digital format I've ever cared to try, from TiVo exports up to HD-DVD/Blu-Ray rips all with the push of a few remote control buttons. My whole design goal for my AV setup is to never have to leave the couch to change media.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Apr 1, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

King Hotpants posted:

It pains me to have to remind you all of this, but ripped HD DVD, Blu-Ray, or filez in general are :siren: :siren: BANNABLE :siren: :siren:

How should this be interpreted?

1. any discussion about HD-DVD/Bluray rips = :filez: = ban

2. :filez: discussion about HD-DVD/Bluray rips = ban

If #1, does that mean DVD ripping and archiving are also forbidden topics?

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

King Hotpants posted:

I don't see how this is hard.
Well with the tone of your post combined with me being the only person in the last few pages to mention HD ripping, I came to the reasonable assumption that your comments were aimed at me and was confused because I never in any way even came close to implying illegal behavior.

quote:

If you think I'm being unreasonable, please say so. There's so many potential DRM/piracy issues in a forum that deals with primarily copy-protected content that I'd like to know how best to discuss them.
Certainly not unreasonable, I'm 100% in agreement with how you've now explained it. While the DMCA may say otherwise, IMO as long as there's no copyright infringement going on media server type systems should remain as open to discuss as possible. I think it's the future of home theaters and in 10 years having a multi-TB movie/music server will be as normal as surround sound is today.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

jegHegy posted:

That's easily understandable, but how's the dot pitch on those things? Don't you get a huge visible grid on your wall?
Kinda. It's noticable when sitting at a static menu like XBMC or Windows MCE, but we also have the couch way too close and the screen set as large as we can make it. While watching movies or TV, it's easy to ignore. For what I paid for it, I don't care. This summer I'm moving out, selling my share in the projector to my then ex-roommates, and buying a 720p pj for the new place. Now that they're under $1000, the only excuse for sticking with 480p is how drat cheap they are. (screen door or no screen door, sub-$400 prices for a massive screen is the bargain of the century)

Scrapez posted:

What are your using for your screen? Blackout cloth? Paint?

You have essentially the same projector as me (X1/4800).

Last year with my X1 I used large sheets of paper duct-taped to the wall. With the 4805, I decided to do it a bit better and built a PVC frame around which I wrapped blackout cloth. It's still held together with duct tape, but now there's no seams and the reflectivity is more even. For $34 in parts I can't complain.

I'll be trying screen paint once I get settled in the new place.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Scrapez posted:

I am also lucky in that I've never experienced the rainbow effect that many people get with dlp projectors.

Very lucky. I'm not extremely sensitive to rainbows, but I could easily see them if I looked for them on my X1 thanks to the slow color wheel. It never bothered me during movies (not even Sin City) but definitely showed when testing it.