Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Horn
Jun 18, 2004

Penetration is the key to success
College Slice
Harmony+shield is perfect imo. I'm dreading the day the former finally dies off since I haven't seen anything that provides the same level of ease of use and broad support. One remote for everything is great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kyojin
Jun 15, 2005

I MASHED THE KEYS AND LOOK WHAT I MADE
I have a few of these https://www.oneforall.com/universal-remotes/urc7935-streamer-remote and they work great - it can learn commands from other remotes and works via cec on the shield that does not have IR. Replaced my harmony 525 when it eventually gave up and haven't had any issues

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
My original TV remote works fine for my Apple TV via CEC is the thing so sometimes I bust that out only to remember why I like my newer Siri Remote with touchpad and such.

I wound up giving up on the Harmony ecosystem due to wife-acceptance-factor issues related to the latency across different devices along with the issues of IR based devices in a room with a large mirror and candles in the room.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

My Harmony remote is aging and I can’t believe it hasn’t been replaced with some kind of open source solution. Just an IR blaster I could hide up in the opposite wall with bluetooth, and some kind of database that Logitech has.

I’ve tried to use the remotes that came with devices, and hide the receiver and TV remotes, but that CEC poo poo never works right.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

IUG posted:

My Harmony remote is aging and I can’t believe it hasn’t been replaced with some kind of open source solution. Just an IR blaster I could hide up in the opposite wall with bluetooth, and some kind of database that Logitech has.

I’ve tried to use the remotes that came with devices, and hide the receiver and TV remotes, but that CEC poo poo never works right.

Is there anything else Logitech is using that database for? It's gotta be the most complete one in existence of its kind. It's a shame all the Harmony hardware and software will stop working some day :(

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

kyojin posted:

I have a few of these https://www.oneforall.com/universal-remotes/urc7935-streamer-remote and they work great - it can learn commands from other remotes and works via cec on the shield that does not have IR. Replaced my harmony 525 when it eventually gave up and haven't had any issues

Do you know of any of these that are bluetooth remotes instead/as well?

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I ran a fiber optic HDMI cable out to the living room TV, and use a wireless mouse/keyboard combo thing to control the PC in my office. But yesterday I learned you can enable using your controller as a mouse and basically any other function as long as steam is running in the background. So that'll come in handy.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

codo27 posted:

I ran a fiber optic HDMI cable out to the living room TV, and use a wireless mouse/keyboard combo thing to control the PC in my office. But yesterday I learned you can enable using your controller as a mouse and basically any other function as long as steam is running in the background. So that'll come in handy.

I have an app called "mobile mouse pro". You install a server on the computer and run the app and your phone becomes a keyboard and trackpad over wifi. Bluetooth is an IAP but it doesn't work very well.

Xenix
Feb 21, 2003
I've had the same HTPC for about 11 years now and it's been slowly dying. I'd love to replace it with something like a Raspberry Pi, but they are perpetually out of stock and I don't really feel like buying one from one of the many places trying to make a buck flipping them on Amazon. At this point, I mostly use it to watch Youtube with adblocker. I'd like to replace it and have the following needs and wants:

• Youtube with adblock
  • Stream via Plex, netflix, etc
  • Emulate older consoles (mostly just a want)

Is there something out there that isn't a Pi that would readily do these things without building a new HTPC or fixing the failing components in my current one? I know casting youtube from another device to my TV is probably a better option for the youtube stuff, but the ads annoy me and I'm hesitant to install a third party youtube app (though it looks like Youtube vanced is no longer a thing?)

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Xenix posted:

I've had the same HTPC for about 11 years now and it's been slowly dying. I'd love to replace it with something like a Raspberry Pi, but they are perpetually out of stock and I don't really feel like buying one from one of the many places trying to make a buck flipping them on Amazon. At this point, I mostly use it to watch Youtube with adblocker. I'd like to replace it and have the following needs and wants:

• Youtube with adblock

Is there something out there that isn't a Pi that would readily do these things without building a new HTPC or fixing the failing components in my current one? I know casting youtube from another device to my TV is probably a better option for the youtube stuff, but the ads annoy me and I'm hesitant to install a third party youtube app (though it looks like Youtube vanced is no longer a thing?)

Easy answer is the Shield TV, depending on the consoles you want to emulate. I use an app called SmartTube for YouTube, which kills ads and even sponsor segments, all with a customizable interface.

The default android tv interface is horrible nowadays imo, but you can install a different launcher and make it extremely simple. (https://www.techdoctoruk.com/custom-launcher-for-nvidia-shield-remove-adverts/)

Emulation works through like PS1 I think? I mostly moved that stuff to the XSX which is way more capable.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

There's an app called smarttube that you can sideload onto a Shield or fire stick. Shield ticks all the boxes, but it's getting long in the tooth. You may want to consider a refurb PC. Go with something with at least an 8th gen i5 and you'll be good for a while. I'd prob try and scrounge something with dedicated graphics.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Xenix posted:

• Youtube with adblock

The YouTube performance on those arm sbc’s is terrible. You want a proper, if cheap, computer. Take a look around eBay and stuff for “thin clients”. Anything Intel 8th gen or newer is going to last you a very long time and could double as a home server.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

You can get Alder Lake mini PCs for less than the Shield TV Pro and they have AV1 hardware decoding. Something like this

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I haven't tried emulation yet on my Shield TV Pro but I've been so much happier with it than the 10th gen NUC I was using previously. My main gripe with the NUC was the drat Kodi freezing issue that I lived with for way too long and could never resolve. It was so annoying. The Shield TV Pro has been flawless with everything I've thrown at it. I just wish Xfinity had a streaming app for Android TV.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

SamDabbers posted:

You can get Alder Lake mini PCs for less than the Shield TV Pro and they have AV1 hardware decoding. Something like this

What OS are people using for these? I never want to book a Windows box to my living room tv again if I can help it.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
If you want to do emulation, honestly just keep an eye out for a deal on an Xbox Series S. It's got all the streaming apps, there's a barely-moderated app store that I'm sure has some way to watch ad-free YouTube. It also has much more of a future than the Shield.

TheScott2K fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Mar 29, 2023

Xenix
Feb 21, 2003

SamDabbers posted:

Ah that's probably the closest thing to what I'm looking for coming from what I have now. I have a gen 3 i3 or i5 in my box, which is basically this thing but bigger. Thanks for all the responses. I'll also look into the Xbox thing, too.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

EC posted:

What OS are people using for these? I never want to book a Windows box to my living room tv again if I can help it.
Not sure if it's still the standard, but last time I was doing the DIY HTPC thing I used LibreELEC (https://libreelec.tv/) for boxes that just needed to be a Kodi appliance and full Ubuntu for the one where I did emulation, Netflix, etc. These days I'd probably try HoloOS (port of SteamOS 3 from the Steam Deck to generic hardware, https://github.com/HoloISO/holoiso) for a general purpose box.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

If anyone are just using TVHeadend like I was (just letting it run quietly in the background because it's just one of those pieces of software that work consistently), you may wanna check if there's a version that includes all the changes done since the last release.

There's been more than 2000 changes in total, including the ability to define a "Now" in the EPG, full support for Perl-Compatible Regular Expressions in searches, several updates to the EIT EPG grabber, updates to ffmpeg and libav, and many many fixes.

Xenix posted:

• Youtube with adblock

You might wanna look at something like the Asus PN42.
It's a completely fanless mini-pc with the N100 Alder Lake CPU, a DIMM socket, an M.2 socket, and a HDMI port that supports CEC according to the specs.

I have the PN41, and while I wish I'd known that the PN42 was coming out, I'm still very happy with it.

EDIT: As for ad blocking, that's part of the YouTube add-on, and SponsorBlock can be found in the siku2 repository.
I don't know about streaming; Netflix might work depending on a lot of DRM/authentication factors, whereas Plex looks a lot easier to get to work.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Jul 2, 2023

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
so even though i have updates disabled, google apparently force pushed an update onto my shield tv pro, which not only added an non-removable google tv channel to my dashboard even though i don't even have it installed, but silently switched my auto-update choice from never to on and updated a whole bunch of apps without even giving me a notification or anything. which ended up breaking a couple. so that's nice

site fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Oct 16, 2023

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

site posted:

so even though i have updates disabled, google apparently force pushed an update onto my shield tv pro, which not only added an non-removable google tv channel to my dashboard even though i don't even have it installed, but silently switched my auto-update choice from never to on and updated a whole bunch of apps without even giving me a notification or anything. which ended up breaking a couple. so that's nice

While very annoying and potentially confusing, you now have quick access to Antiques Roadshow 24/7.

The glass is half full.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".

tuyop posted:

I have an app called "mobile mouse pro". You install a server on the computer and run the app and your phone becomes a keyboard and trackpad over wifi. Bluetooth is an IAP but it doesn't work very well.

seconding this… i think this was one of the first apps I ever paid money for like 10 years ago and I’ve been nothing but happy the entire time. I don’t use it all the time at all but when I want/need to control my mouse or volume or whatever on my pc from far away, this little dude’s server is there waiting to oblige.

I hope it doesn’t turn out to be a horrible security/privacy threat or something

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

namlosh posted:

seconding this… i think this was one of the first apps I ever paid money for like 10 years ago and I’ve been nothing but happy the entire time. I don’t use it all the time at all but when I want/need to control my mouse or volume or whatever on my pc from far away, this little dude’s server is there waiting to oblige.

I hope it doesn’t turn out to be a horrible security/privacy threat or something

I turned off upnp awhile ago for stuff like this. I don’t think this app ever tried to open any ports though!

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Cross post from the Plex thread cuz I didn’t know this one existed

That Works posted:

Gonna play around this winter break with an i3-8109U NUC box for the TV as the only remaining Amazon device in the house is the FireCube on the main TV which I want to eventually replace. If I end up hating it I'll buy an Nvidia Shield or something.

The only things it needs to run are the Plex client (server is on another machine), Amazon Video and Youtube, preferably SmartTube or some similar adblocking youtube client. I was considering LibreElec or CoreElec, or potentially Win10 in tablet mode.

Anyone roll their own streaming HTPC these days that has any insight on it, particularly for best Plex experience? Just not sure which OS etc would be less fussy.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Man just get a streamer box that doesn't need Plex to transcode (most of the recent ones)

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

That Works posted:

Cross post from the Plex thread cuz I didn’t know this one existed
LibreELEC is supposedly going to be on the RPI5.

Oh, nevermind. I misunderstood and thought you wanted to avoid Plex.
Seems like the Plex thread is the best place to ask about Plex.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

TheScott2K posted:

Man just get a streamer box that doesn't need Plex to transcode (most of the recent ones)

Thanks but am trying to work with a piece of hardware i already have.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I got a GL iNet Slate AX travel router and it works great, but now I find myself wanting a streaming stick to plug into a TV when I'm traveling as well to run Jellyfin.

Probably doesn't matter all that much which one to use. Maybe Chromecast 4k to avoid the Amazon heavy UI of the Fire Stick?

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep

fletcher posted:

I got a GL iNet Slate AX travel router and it works great, but now I find myself wanting a streaming stick to plug into a TV when I'm traveling as well to run Jellyfin.

Probably doesn't matter all that much which one to use. Maybe Chromecast 4k to avoid the Amazon heavy UI of the Fire Stick?

Is it not possible to install a better os on those things? The fire sticks I mean

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
I wonder if anyone could recommend me a system.

I've got an old projector(720p) attached to my ceiling. It takes HDMI in, and has power.

I'd very much like to not run an HDMI cable all the way up there.

I'd also like to essentially run it off my computer. I have an old Chromecast, which kinda fits the bill in a lot of ways. But as more streaming services come out, I'm using them less and less and just have random-rear end web links, or possibly movie files on my HD. Chromecast doesn't really work well in those scenarios, from memory - If I'm wrong, I'll attempt to dig it out of storage and give it a shot. I also have an old old Miracast / EZCast thing, but it looks like the entire internet has abandoned those.

My desktop computer is running Ubuntu, if that changes things somewhat. I also need recommendations on how to do audio. Again, simplest way is to run it out of my computer's audio jack, but I'd like a better setup without also running cables all over, if possible.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

hark posted:

Is it not possible to install a better os on those things? The fire sticks I mean

Not sure! I ended up going with a Chromecast though, to that it's dead simple to cast things to it when needed. Used it on a couple trips already, and it's been great!

Jonny Quest
Nov 11, 2004

ante posted:

I wonder if anyone could recommend me a system.

I've got an old projector(720p) attached to my ceiling. It takes HDMI in, and has power.

I'd very much like to not run an HDMI cable all the way up there.

I'd also like to essentially run it off my computer. I have an old Chromecast, which kinda fits the bill in a lot of ways. But as more streaming services come out, I'm using them less and less and just have random-rear end web links, or possibly movie files on my HD. Chromecast doesn't really work well in those scenarios, from memory - If I'm wrong, I'll attempt to dig it out of storage and give it a shot. I also have an old old Miracast / EZCast thing, but it looks like the entire internet has abandoned those.

My desktop computer is running Ubuntu, if that changes things somewhat. I also need recommendations on how to do audio. Again, simplest way is to run it out of my computer's audio jack, but I'd like a better setup without also running cables all over, if possible.

It’s not the usual recommendation for a Shield or RPi but an Apple TV running a Jellyfin client streaming from your desktop would be an easy way to get streaming and a super small box up on top of the projector.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
I grabbed a Beelink N100 to use as an Apple TV supplement on my living room tv. My primary use case is sports streams off a browser without having to deal with airplay, and some NES/SNES emulation now that my kid is old enough to leave iPad games behind.

Do I need to do anything special beyond throwing Kubuntu or fedora, retroarch, and a codec package onto the thing? Bluetooth should pick up my wireless Xbox controller I imagine, and I grabbed a Logitech k400 for mouse/keyboard work.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
What's up Beelink buddy? I just bought an N100 this morning to use as my personal Plex server.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

I wanna get an N100 powered HTPC of some sort, preferably fanless - and I'm currently eyeing the Asus PN42.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
Update:
Got the Beelink, threw Fedora on it, set up SSH with fail2ban so I don't have to janitor it on a giant TV, and have some emulation of public domain content going. PS4 controller Bluetooth'd right up. It's got me curious about finding some sort of big picture style DE where I can navigate more of the system with the controller, but I got a cheap wireles Logitech mouse/keyboard combo thing that worked even at the BIOS screen, so whatever. And since it's using an Intel GPU, I get to see what all the fuss is about on ~~Wayland~~ without wanting to shoot myself or my video card.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Well Played Mauer posted:

Update:
Got the Beelink, threw Fedora on it, set up SSH with fail2ban so I don't have to janitor it on a giant TV, and have some emulation of public domain content going. PS4 controller Bluetooth'd right up. It's got me curious about finding some sort of big picture style DE where I can navigate more of the system with the controller, but I got a cheap wireles Logitech mouse/keyboard combo thing that worked even at the BIOS screen, so whatever. And since it's using an Intel GPU, I get to see what all the fuss is about on ~~Wayland~~ without wanting to shoot myself or my video card.

If emulation is your goal you might want to look into Launchbox/BigBox. It's what I use as the front end on my arcade cabinet.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Update for me: I got a Chromecast and a Bluetooth speaker. It's okay. I might get a nicer stereo Bluetooth speaker system, but ehhh

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

ante posted:

Update for me: I got a Chromecast and a Bluetooth speaker. It's okay. I might get a nicer stereo Bluetooth speaker system, but ehhh

That’s what I do in the garage, mostly for playing music. Got a cheap Bluetooth enabled T-amp and hooked up some decent speakers. Works pretty well!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game
After 12 solid years of faithful service I've finally replaced my Zotac AD11. I used a lot of flavors of xbmc/kodi over that time, but settled on libreelec in the last X number of years. I've join the Beelink club and so far things are going pretty well. I'm "dual booting" it between windows 11 and libreelec using the USB method. Since it doesn't have an IR sensor built-in I grabbed an old HP MCE IR Receiver off ebay and once I moved all my controller config files over everything basically runs the exact same as before. Which is important for full family acceptance. Having w11 will be handy because when I need to do things like stream tomorrow's Paris Roubaix off of Tiz (rip GCN+) I don't have to use my wife's laptop anymore. I'm going to continue to see if I can get kodi back at parity in the windows installation, but getting the remote functional is harder than it needs to be.