Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game
I almost have my HTPC ready to go. Although now there seems to be just one problem left that's plaguing me. I can't seem to get decent network speeds through my system. My media sits on an external HDD that's plugged in to the USB port on a Linksys E3200. My HTPC is a Zotac AD-11 with XBMCuntu installed on it running an Eden build. For some reason the most I can squeeze out of my wireless connection is about 550KB/s. If I run a cable to the router from the HTPC then HD content will play with no problems (runs around 7.1MB/s), but if I try to watch any HD videos over wireless it has to buffer video every 10 seconds or so.

I should be able to play HD stuff over wireless, right? Are there better drivers out there I could try? I'm really at a loss for what else I can do. I'm also not sure if this question is better suited for the XBMC thread or another thread for networking support.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game

Bonzo posted:

What is your wireless router like? Are you broadcasting over G or N? I don't think G can do high def.

Both the router and the adapter should be capable of broadcasting over N. iwconfig tells me that I'm connecting on the 2.4Ghz frequency and not the 5.0Ghz. I'm not sure if it's a hardware or software limitation that's keeping the adapter from connecting to the higher frequency. 550KB/s makes me think it's broadcasting in B for some reason even though G and N are both available.

I've been poking around more since making that last post. It looks like there's a bunch of stuff I can try to do with the router as well involving new firmware and a couple different settings. I'll try that out when I go home for lunch and see if it helps things too.

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game

Don Lapre posted:

The zotac wireless card is poo poo. Hardwire it or order an intel card.

Tedronai66 posted:

Or, if you have 5GHz on your router (and a non lovely router), the asus USB-N53 has been streaming all my uncompressed bluray, etc. perfectly for me.
I think this is going to be my next step. I don't think I have a lovely router (Linksys E3200), but I guess we'll find out. I checked out the website and ASUS provides updated Linux drivers so that could help a bit too. I flat out can't run an ethernet cable from the router to the box as a final solution so if a better adapter doesn't work then I'll probably look in to powerline stuff.

Sporadic posted:

I have the Zotac Nano AD-10. Do you have the little add-on antenna on properly? When I tried to use the wireless without it, I had the same speeds you had.
I went ahead and tested how transfer speeds were with the antenna in each set of USB ports. I couldn't get any kind of connection with the front port or no port. The set I'm currently using (which has a little wifi label next to it) was right where I've been lately. Finally, the other USB ports on the back scored me a massive 110KB/s. So I've either done nothing wrong or everything wrong with regards to antenna placement.

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game

kri kri posted:

You don't have the antenna that attaches to the back? Are you using some usb wifi adapter?

The ad10 doesn't have a usb port on front, the thing that looks like a usb port is a IR receiver.
Just to make sure we're on the same page, I have an AD11. Anyway, I thought that seemed like an odd question but yeah mine is a USB wifi adapter. And the front has a port that doubles for USB and eSATA.

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game

Don Lapre posted:

I've heard you can swap the wifi card and get much better performance.

I did this and my wifi performance improved greatly. It still wasn't enough for an HD MKV file though.

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game

fletcher posted:

Has anybody tried installing Ubuntu 12.10 on a Zotac AD10? Did you run into any driver issues?

I installed it on an AD11 and everything worked flawlessly except for the IR. Honestly, I didn't spend much time trying to solve that issue since I knew it worked just fine with OpenElec and decided to switch over to that.

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game

fletcher posted:

Thank you for recommending this. Got it set up with OpenELEC over the weekend, and it is really really awesome.

I tried Ubuntu & XBMC first, but the performance for 1080p was pretty poo poo. I was trying Ubuntu 12.10 and it sounds like there are some issues with the AMD drivers, and I didn't really feel like spending a lot of time trying to get it to work so...

So I tried OpenELEC instead, and found the AMD Fusion build of OpenELEC performs waaaay better, 1080p was no problem for it. Had to tweak a config file to get the analog sound jack to work, everything else worked just fine. I can even power it on and off with the remote!

Just a note on this. I think it has to do with the hardware acceleration that's built in to XMBC. I had issues with HD playback as well when I was trying non-OpenELEC options even though Ubuntu claimed to have my video drivers all up-to-date and whatnot. The Fusion option for OpenELEC has XVBA built-in, but I guess a vanilla install of XBMC doesn't? The wiki contains a page about installing XBMC with XVBA in it right here. When I used that particular version of XBMC my playback issues were solved.

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game

monkeybounce posted:

Is there anything inherently wrong with the AD11? I found it for $149 with 64GB SSD and 2GB DDR3 at a local store. Obviously, I bought it, but I just haven't seen anyone mention the AD11--it's always the AD10 or AD12.

What's with the middle child treatment?
I have an AD11 as well. I'm not entirely sure why it's never mentioned, but it's no big deal since the AD10 is drat near identical. It's a solid machine.

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game
I've been using a Zotac AD-11+ as my media PC for 6 years now. I've had various flavors of Kodi on it this entire time (currently LibreElec). I really like the setup, but now that it's hitting its 6th birthday it's finally starting to choke on certain videos. I'm looking to replace it in the near future and I'd love to grab something that's futureproofed for another six years. I'm thinking this newer Zotac model a good replacement. Do I have that right? I just wanted to double check before I pulled the trigger.

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game
After 12 solid years of faithful service I've finally replaced my Zotac AD11. I used a lot of flavors of xbmc/kodi over that time, but settled on libreelec in the last X number of years. I've join the Beelink club and so far things are going pretty well. I'm "dual booting" it between windows 11 and libreelec using the USB method. Since it doesn't have an IR sensor built-in I grabbed an old HP MCE IR Receiver off ebay and once I moved all my controller config files over everything basically runs the exact same as before. Which is important for full family acceptance. Having w11 will be handy because when I need to do things like stream tomorrow's Paris Roubaix off of Tiz (rip GCN+) I don't have to use my wife's laptop anymore. I'm going to continue to see if I can get kodi back at parity in the windows installation, but getting the remote functional is harder than it needs to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game

Crumps Brother posted:

...faithful...

TheScott2K posted:

None of those words are in the Qur'an

Surely at least one of those words are in there.