Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
UnmaskedGremlin
May 28, 2002

I hear there's gonna be cake!
OK, so I've got a problem with my Sony Grand Wega. Its a 60" rear projection LCD that I bought about 2 1/2 years ago. I called Sony, and they haven't been too much of a help. They just tell me someone needs to come look at it, and they give me a time of 10 days from now. I'll break the TV before then.

Anyways, every 2 or 3 minutes, the screen goes black, no problem with audio or anything (although the audio doesn't go through the TV), and the power/standby light flashes 37 times. 30 before the screen flashes back up, and 7 more while the screen resets and has the picture clear. It's about a 90 second cycle, every 3 or so minutes. It would seem to me that the bulb probably needs replacing, but I'm not exactly dying to spend $200+ on a bulb if thats not the problem.

Can anyone tell me for sure if its the bulb, or is it potentially something else?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnmaskedGremlin
May 28, 2002

So I've been digging around for a TV, as my 8 year old rear projection 60" Sony is finally on its last legs. I have the room in my living room to hang up to a 70", but I doubt I'll go that big. After digging around, I'm really in love with the Samsung UNxxES8000 line, any of the 55, 60, or 65 sizes. I think between what I've read on picture and features, it seems like an amazing TV.

I'm not that intent on 3D one way or the other, but my g/f seems to think it'll be a great feature going forward for our kids.

I'm trying to keep price under $2000 (I've found the UN60ES8000 for about $2300, which I think is a good deal), but its not a huge sticking point, I have some flexibility either way.

Basically I just want to get as good of a picture as I can, I prefer LED but can be swayed to plasma if they price is right, and I don't have to worry about the old burn in problems and such that have been around in the past. I'd like it to have 3D (in my range, I think most TV's will have it anyways), I'd like it to have wi-fi/home network capability, and something that will last me at least 8-10 years without being completely obsolete.

UnmaskedGremlin fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Nov 18, 2012

UnmaskedGremlin
May 28, 2002

Don Lapre posted:

If you want 3d especially with kids you want passive 3d. The glasses are much lighter, cheaper, and don't have batteries.

Whats the difference/how do I tell between passive and (I'm assuming) active 3D?

UnmaskedGremlin
May 28, 2002

SplitDestiny posted:

I was looking for the exact same type of tv and ended up picking this up.

http://www.lg.com/us/tvs/lg-60LM7200-led-tv

It's brand new so there isn't much information out yet but it was such a good price for a slim led tv that included passive 3d that I couldn't pass it up. Im pretty happy with it so far.

How's the picture been so far? I'm certainly intrigued by that one, and for the price, it seems very interesting. Any info would be great!

UnmaskedGremlin
May 28, 2002

So as I had posted a month or so ago, I was waffling between a couple TVs, and ended up getting a very good deal through a friend on the LG, 60LM7200. http://www.lg.com/us/tvs/lg-60LM7200-led-tv

The thing is fantastic. The picture is perfect, and the smart options are cool. Not invasive, and connects well with my other home stuff. I've watched videos and looked at pictures on it from my phone and my computer, it automatically recognizes and asks if I want to switch when I turn on my PS3, it does updates on its own, and so on. The thing is a great TV, and the picture, IMO, is as good as the 8000 line from the Samsungs, and I got it for about $1000 less than the absolute cheapest price I could find a new Samsung for. Awesome TV, and for the price of a lot of plasmas in its range, I think its a great buy.

• Locked thread