Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
i use the sweet theme because it covers every loving app under the sun at this point. i don't think i can go back to a time where every app has its own distinct ugly style anymore. even all the app icons are custom to fit in line with everything else, it's a really high effort theme

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
I use nixos fyi

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Nostalgic for the 1999 when the world was dominated by super opinionated windows managers developed by one kid in their basement in like 100kb of source. Don't like your current? Just hit the next one in the list and give it a try. Or hack the source to do what you need.

There were like a hundred of them available. I forget the site that linked to them all though.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

xzzy posted:

Nostalgic for the 1999 when the world was dominated by super opinionated windows managers developed by one kid in their basement in like 100kb of source. Don't like your current? Just hit the next one in the list and give it a try. Or hack the source to do what you need.

There were like a hundred of them available. I forget the site that linked to them all though.

freshmeat?

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

I remember in maybe 97/98 when I installed my first Linux, Enlightenment WM was recently released. It was easy to customize to look like a Winamp skin and years later when I played Eve Online the UI reminded me of Enlightenment. I don't remember how good or bad it was, but at that time it was one of the only WMs that paid any attention to visuals.

It was the hottest poo poo for a teenager like me.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Ha, that theme looks extremely familiar.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
Factorio's devblog has an interesting section this week on developing games for linux. https://www.factorio.com/blog/post/fff-408

Highlight:

quote:

Most desktop environments will allow windows to supply their own decorations if they wish but will provide a default implementation on the server side as an alternative. GNOME, in their infinite wisdom, have decided that all clients must provide their own decorations, and if a client does not, they will simply be missing.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Desktop environments on the server side, you say…

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Well, that's a fundamental design feature of X11. Gnome are the silly ones here.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
gnome is working overtime to make gnome as polished a turd as possible so this doesn't surprise me at all

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

xzzy posted:

Well, that's a fundamental design feature of X11. Gnome are the silly ones here.

Window decorations are not part of X11 on the server side, which is why when you gently caress up your xinit and start up an X server and Xterm on the stippled background you can’t move the terminal window. they’re provided by the window manager, which is a (privileged) client to the X server—if they were part of the server they’d be the same between desktop environments, because they all use the same server

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Oops, sorry, yeah. I used to be a lot smarter.

I got window manager and server crossed up in my dumb brain.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

lobsterminator posted:

I remember in maybe 97/98 when I installed my first Linux, Enlightenment WM was recently released. It was easy to customize to look like a Winamp skin and years later when I played Eve Online the UI reminded me of Enlightenment. I don't remember how good or bad it was, but at that time it was one of the only WMs that paid any attention to visuals.

Which version of Fallout is this?

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Subjunctive posted:

Window decorations are not part of X11 on the server side, which is why when you gently caress up your xinit and start up an X server and Xterm on the stippled background you can’t move the terminal window. they’re provided by the window manager, which is a (privileged) client to the X server—if they were part of the server they’d be the same between desktop environments, because they all use the same server

And every other GUI (Windows, macOS) makes individual applications draw their own decorations for good technical reasons. One of the reasons Wayland was created was specifically this issue, and the fact that KDE rolls back to X11 style window decorations is weird grognardy behavior on their part.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

pseudorandom name posted:

And every other GUI (Windows, macOS) makes individual applications draw their own decorations for good technical reasons. One of the reasons Wayland was created was specifically this issue, and the fact that KDE rolls back to X11 style window decorations is weird grognardy behavior on their part.
Isn't the compositor still responsible for providing decorations for Xwayland windows? In which case, I don't know that KWin's behavior is that weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

lobsterminator posted:

That really whips the llama's rear end