Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

BattleMaster posted:

did you seriously just make up an imaginary linux install with an imaginary device named ens18 on an imaginary system with 10 devices?

His forums name abbreviates to BSD, what do you think? :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Please just forget I said anything, because I can't deal with this right now.
I just found a lump near a place where the previous time I found a lump, it turned out to be cancer.

I'm crossing my fingers for you, cancer is no joke.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

BattleMaster posted:

I have this weird thing about not liking mounts anywhere but /, /media, or /mnt. While it's against what FHS says, I use directories in /mnt for permanent fstab automounts that don't belong in / (that is, they aren't mounted on like /home, /srv, etc.) like network mounts, additional drives, FUSE mounts (mergerfs, etc.), and so on. I use symlinks to those mount points or places within them as needed.

Who cares about the FHS for your own personal poo poo?

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

There are still idiotic issues with it, but we've mostly gotten used to them now :v:

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

I shaved off quite a bit of idle power use just by enabling power saving options in bios on my X99.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Basically this.

I've used debian for over 20 years at this point, and it mostly just works for what I need it to do. I'm still not happy about the systemd cancer infecting linux, but at least these days you have to work at it to get a machine that doesn't boot cleanly for a stupid reason. And yes I am aware that the old init stuff was hardly perfect either, but it didn't permeate almost every facet of the OS.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Computer viking posted:

Yes - though "my poo poo" in this case is a €5 Vultr machine that has and does nothing important except for the utility of having a machine outside the work network.

Did you know that you can enable 2FA for SSH? :sun:

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

I use tailscale, it works quite well. Easy to setup, works fine on all of my devices.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Seconding ventoy, very easy to use.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

waffle iron posted:

I never want to see a picture of that creep ESR ever again

:emptyquote:

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

My 3700x with 32GB ram and two SSDs idles at 22W :haw:

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Apparently?

The easy solution is to use software encryption and take the drive out of the equation entirely.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Here's some help anyway :haw:

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

It's lovely, floral and kicks like a mule.

I need to buy another bottle, and of course polet here doesn't have it in stock :smith:

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

I'd do RAID6 instead of RAID10.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

cruft posted:

:frogsiren: :frogsiren: :frogsiren: :frogsiren: :frogsiren: :frogsiren:

LINUX THREAD PAGE 2^10

:frogsiren: :frogsiren: :frogsiren: :frogsiren: :frogsiren: :frogsiren:

Well, poo poo :haw: