Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Thermopyle posted:

I mean, linux already has your username and password...is there really no mechanism or api for samba (or other software) to check if a provided username/password combo is an actual user?
pamd does have modules for this. So it should be able to do this.
When I tried to do this a while ago I gave up after noticing, that the first dozen pages of google results where people trying to set up exactly this and posting unanswered questions on the forums.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Kaluza-Klein posted:

Can some one help me with BTRFS?

I have a single btrfs pool (volume?) spanning three physical disks (I have backups!). The pool has three subvolumes that are all mounted on boot. If I unmount/umount them one at a time, whichever one umounts last takes ~90 seconds to umount. The first two take hardly a second.
I think that is somewhat normal. If you unmount, it does some modifications to make it faster to remount late. But it doesn't run those while it is still mounted somewhere else.
On the other hand, for me I only get 10-30 seconds. Run a defrag and a metadata rebalance, update to the newest kernel.
If the problem persists, do some sysrq-w while it stalls and post them on the mailing list.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Kaluza-Klein posted:

Yeah, I should have mentioned that it certainly hasn't stalled, the drives are chattering away the whole time...

I did a rebalance last month for the first time in a while. Does that not defrag at the same time?
From what I understand, it does not. But the documentation is not clear on this.
I think balance only moves chunks, and defrag doesn't touch chunks. But I might be wrong.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Thermopyle posted:

Yeah, I'll file a bug. Sometimes it's gone after a reboot, but usually it's still happening.

Do you have any advice on whether I should report is as a kernel or as an xorg bug?
You know, this sound like a hardware problem to me. I had somewhat similar effects, when my cooler failed and my graphicscard started melting.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

shimmy posted:

Complete Linux newbie here with a rather silly problem.
At work I'm doing some stuff in a virtual machine with xubuntu, it's not so hard to get around so I want to put it on my old centrino thinkpad because it's very slow right now.
Anyway I installed it from usb onto the hdd and it's all good except it won't boot. If I boot from the usb stick it works, and I can pull out the stick so it is definitely not running from that. But booting from hdd just gives me a blank screen and blinking cursor instantly after the bios.
I figure I did something wrong but seeing as how booting from the install media puts me straight into the OS, I don't know how to start over! (and I don't know how to describe the problem in a way that will get me usable search results)
Looks like you forgot to install a bootloader.
Check your Distro's manual for whatever procedure they recommend.

If you can't find anything try this:
http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?part=1&chap=10

e: ^^^Ninja

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Is your default alsa device the pulse input?
Or is there some settings file where you can assign an alsa device to your app?

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Experto Crede posted:

Can someone suggest a program for putting the CPU under load whilst showing the temperature? Preferably a command line one...
You mean like a stresstest?
It might be easier to run one program as a logger of temperature and load. And another programm to stress the system.
Here is a logging script that I am using. Just start it as a deamon or in a different shell and recompile you kernel.
code:
#!/bin/bash
TIME=60
LOGGING=1
LOGFILE=/var/log/freqscale.log

while [ true ];
do
#mpstats take TIME seconds to execute
semiidle=`/usr/bin/mpstat $TIME 1 | awk 'NR==4 {print $12}'`
semiidle=$(echo "$semiidle 1/ p" | dc)

temp=`sensors | grep "crit" | awk -F"[+,.]" '{ print $2;}'`

logstring="TEMP=$temp IDLE= $semiidle"
echo "$logstring"
if [ -n "$LOGFILE" ]; then
	echo "`date` $logstring" >> $LOGFILE
fi
if [ "$LOGGING" -eq 1 ]; then
	logger -p user.info "$logstring"
fi
done

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

revmoo posted:

Couldn't you write a forking script?

E.g. { stress-test code goes here } &; temp display code goes here
I always find it very annoying to kill that forked script. You have to save the process number and all that.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Thermopyle posted:

Am I tool for writing different system administration type of scripts in python instead of shell scripts?

Every time I look at shell scripts I go cross-eyed.

Basically...is there a downside to writing stuff in python instead of bash?
The reason I use bash for those simple stuff instead of perl/python is that I am calling a different external programm every second line.
If I wasn't doing that I also would use a normal programming language.

I remember when I was writing this I also was thinking about finally learning python and writing this in it.
But afer half an hour of trying to figure out how to say
code:
semiidle=`/usr/bin/mpstat $TIME 1 | awk 'NR==4 {print $5 + $12}'`
in python I gave up.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

the2ndgenesis posted:

I'm looking for a hash function that can print a string of both upper- and lower-case alphanumeric characters, or which can be given parameters to produce such a string. Anyone have any favorites?
The easiest way would probably be to use a normal hash algorithm and then pass the results through a binary to text encoder like xxencoder.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

One other thing that often bloats in linux is the download directory of your package manager. It can easily grow to tens of GB for some setups. Do you know where those are saved on your distro?

Also, do run that du command (du --max-depth=1 | sort -n) in the following directories: /,/var,/tmp,~/.cache,~/.thunderbird

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Mak0rz posted:

That's probably what it is, considering trying to install anything gives me a "no room left on device" or some such error. I have tons of space in my home partition and allocated it that way. I was under the impression only core files went to root and that was pretty much it.
That only is true on the most traditional partitioning variants. Where home,var,tmp and usr are separate partitions from root.
You can see that usr and home are each larger than everything else on the disk taken together on your system.

But with most package managers these days there is some critical stuff also placed in usr, so you normally can't split that off.
5GB for usr means that you probably have installed almost all the software. Do you really need all that?
For a system with X 10GB is a bit undersized.

From the documentation it also looks like your package files should be in /var/cache , so that seems not to be the problem.

The most solid way to fix your problem would be to move home to a different partition. But that is pretty annoying work.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

ToxicFrog posted:

And the fact of the matter is, 10GB is not enough for a modern graphical distro with lots of stuff installed:
I did check my own system, and found out I had 10GB in /usr/src alone. Linux is really more bloaty that it used to.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

ToxicFrog posted:

Ok, that's fairly impressive. What do you have in there?
Around 10 Kernel versions that I forgot to delete. 800MB each.
2 clones of experimental branches. For some reason those had 1.5GB each.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

YouTuber posted:

I think I've googled nearly every possible site on this and I can't seem to come to a conclusion. I'm using ffmpeg to stream to twitch.tv. Everything initially worked out flawlessly then suddenly after a reboot it stopped streaming audio aside from the microphone. Music Players, Games, nothing seems to show up in the stream. I'm not the only one with this problem, ffmpeg seems to be the only choice. VLC apparently is just a fancy GUI scheme for running it through ffmpeg and from what I've read it still has the same problem with audio.

code:
   INRES="1920x1080"                                            # input resolution
   OUTRES="1280x720"                                           # Output resolution
   FPS="35"                                                    # target FPS
   QUAL="fast"                                               # one of the many FFMPEG preset on (k)ubuntu found in /usr/share/ffmpeg
                                                               # If you have low bandwidth, put the qual preset on 'fast' (upload bandwidth)
                                                               # If you have medium bandwitch put it on normal to medium
   STREAM_KEY="live_a_string_of_numbers_here"   # This is your stream key generated by jtv/twitch found at: [url]http://www.justin.tv/broadcast/adv_other[/url]

ffmpeg -f x11grab -s "$INRES" -r "$FPS" -i :0.0+0,0 -f alsa -ac 2 -i pulse -vcodec libx264 -vpre "$QUAL" -s "$OUTRES" -acodec libmp3lame -ar 44100 -threads 4 -qscale 5 -b 1024k 
-f flv "rtmp://live.justin.tv/app/$STREAM_KEY"
It's pulling from Alsa just fine. However, nothing from Pulseaudio seems to be working. Most solutions out there seem to be about making a loopback feed but I see no options in pavucontrol. I know I'm overlooking something simple here.
Are you sure your settings in pulse audio control are correct? Did you check if it muted itself? My pulse sometimes does that.
Remember "Monitor of whatever device" is the buildin loopback for system recording. "Whatever device" is the device's microphone.
You recording tab should look like this:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Illegal Move posted:

Does anybody know about running multiple X servers at the same time? I'm pretty new at this, but I was told to run steam (the wine version) in a seperate X server so that alt-tabbing doesn't mess up my games. It pretty much works, but the only problem is, whenever I switch to my main desktop with ctrl alt f1 when playing a game (mostly dota 2), it seems to freeze the game until I switch back, and this generally makes me disconnect from the server I'm in. Is this supposed to happen no matter what, or is there some way I could make it continue running in the background while I switch to my desktop?
You can make your display manager start several X server. It is hidden somewhere in the options.
For gdm you go to gdmsetup->Security->Configure X Server and then you add a second server with the same settings as the first one.
For me they end up on ctrl-alt-f7 and ctrl-alt-f8.
I usually use those to try out fancy window manager stuff, so I just log in the second server with a different wm than in the first one.

If you want to go for maximal separation you could also create a second user to log in on the second server.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Social Animal posted:

If I am listening to audio from a youtube video, I can load an mp3 also and get audio from both youtube and the mp3 on Windows. In Fedora only one application can do audio while the rest remain silent. Is this normal behavior? If not any ideas on what I can do to correct it? I don't know anything about sound/audio. :(
There are several ways to do this. And I would have expected a mass market distribution like fedora to set one of those up automatically.
Looks like fedora should use pulseaudio.
So what you want should work without trouble.
The most likely problem is, that one of your 2 applications grabs full access to your soundcard ( that can still happen in Windows too, btw ). If it is a really old app causing the problem, that can be fixed by starting the application with padsp $appname, but that is normally too annoying to do.

So check if pulseaudio is installed on your system.
If it is, check if alsa does correctly rout audio to pulseaudio.
For this you should use whatever gui fedora recommends. If you want to check the config yourself it should be in ~/.asoundrc or in /etc/asound.conf
You are looking for a block like this:
code:
pcm.!default {
        type pulse
}
If you don't have that block add it to .asoundrc and restart alsa.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

wolrah posted:

Quick and stupid one, I'm trying to grep a log file for "201" but getting all lines matching due to "2013" in timestamps. Any way to not match 2013 while still allowing any other occurrence of 201 in the same line to match?

Somehow I get the feeling there's a regex in this answer, and that's about where my brain goes on vacation.

If you know what the next character is you can do:
code:
grep "201 " /var/log/messages
If not then it is regex time:
code:
grep -P "201[^3]"
grep -P "201[^23]"
The second variant also ignores 2012.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Jan posted:

This is kind of a loaded question, but is Gentoo still a good distro? I've been using it on my home gateway/media/everything server for a while now, making the switch to hardened and overall keeping up with new features. By the looks of it, gentoo's been seeing less and less development, although it still seems alright on the server front.

My previous server died, and I'm just getting around to building a new one... I'm tempted to stick with gentoo just because I'm used to it, but that's usually one of the worst reasons for loyalty to a given product.
I stand at a similar decision right now. I will probably still stick with gentoo, because that bit of whatever ( I don't even know what ) you get from a more active distro is just not worth relearning all that management stuff.

If you do make the switch, tell me how hard it was please.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

digitalcamo posted:

I'll try to be brief as possible. I'm currently learning how to program and so far, everything I've come across says you need linux if your serious about learning programs or computers in general. Why is this? I am very interested in learning linux and plan to do so. And I'm probably too ignorant in my current state of computers, but I just don't understand what makes it so great. Just thought I'd get input from people that use it.
I would say you are getting somewhat outdated advice here.
If you want to do serious programming you have to interact with the OS and the Hardware. In the olden days the interfaces given by most OSes for this were pretty bad, and really badly documented. On linux you could always just check or even change the source code, if some interface acts badly.
These days the difference has been getting smaller.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

JerikTelorian posted:

I'm trying to write a bash script for a Minecraft server that will tar three folders.

This is what I have so far, but it fails when I try and use it, with the error "tar: Cowardly refusing to create an empty archive". What do I need to do to get the folders all saved?

Run this:
code:
#!/bin/bash
set -x
SOURCE=$PWD"/world/" $PWD"/world_nether/" $PWD"/world_the_end/"
DEST="backups/"
FILENAME="vanilla-$(date +%Y-%m-%d-%H%M).tgz"
tar -chzvf $DEST$FILENAME $SOURCE
set +x
exit

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Thermopyle posted:

I guess I don't understand cpu load.

I can sit here and watch (h)top, and none of the cores have much load on them, and the processes all pretty much look like they do there, and yet the load average is 16.71 and the terminal over ssh is slow to respond, and the CPU is running at 2.4GHz instead of the throttled back 1.6GHz.

What's going on here?
Load measures all resources. So if your CPUs are empty and your Memory is not totally full, then your disk must be overloaded.
Can you turn on TASK_IO_ACCOUNTING ? and then display it with atop. This should tell you.

JerikTelorian posted:

is the [set +x] some kind of debug mode? I was looking for that while trying to learn scripting. It looks like the source isn't being properly included, for some reason.
Yes it echos the executed commands. set -x turns echo on, set +x turns it off again.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

fletcher posted:

I have a program that prompts the user for several values and you have to hit return after supplying each value. How can I run it and supply all the values it needs in an automated way?
The simplest way is:
./program.sh < input.txt

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Lysidas posted:

Does anyone have any opinions about encrypted archive formats?

I want to back up some personal data to a NAS that I (and other people) have administrative access to, and I don't want this data to be readable by anyone else. This data is already highly compressed (e.g. a disk image of a working Snow Leopard installation on my Thinkpad, run through xz -9ev), so I don't even want to attempt any additional compression.

I know the usual adage of "PGP for data at rest, SSL for data in motion", so I was considering just piping tar through GPG with a very long symmetric key. I would really like to have random access to this archive, though -- if I need to access this backup it'll probably be because parts of a disk at home have developed unreadable sectors. I don't want to have to decrypt and extract everything to get a small subset of this data that's unreadable in my main copy.

Any strong objection to using 7-zip with no compression, a long random password and -mhe=on for also encrypting the archive table of contents? I don't need to preserve file ownership or permissions, which is one of the weaknesses of 7z on Unix systems. man 7z doesn't mention many details about the encryption method used, but I seem to remember that the Windows compression wizard has AES256 as the default.
How about encfs?
Mount the archive somewhere, and then run encfs on it.
That is what I do for my cloud drives.

Or you could treat your file as a block device and just put an fs encryption and an fs on it.

VictualSquid fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Aug 27, 2013

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

xtal posted:

Is it a terrible idea to generate LUKS keyfiles from /dev/urandom? Most documentation seems to suggest 4096-byte keyfiles and it would take hours to days to generate enough entropy to make keys for all of my partitions. Is it better to use a smaller key from /dev/random or a bigger key from /dev/urandom?
Theoretically it should make no difference if you expand that entropy using urandom or your encryption software. It still has exactly the same entropy.

I would recommend using the smaller key, just so that it reminds you to change those when you get the opportunity.

Maybe you should think about getting a cheap hardware random number generator if that sort of thing can't take a few days for you.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

An old friend of mine used to swear by DR-Dos as a base for crazy multibooting or system recovery schemes. Once you have booted to dos you can chainload basically everything from there.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Suspicious Dish posted:

xorg.conf has not been needed for like 6 years at this point.
Unless you have a non US-keyboard layout, or use nvidia's binary drivers.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

evol262 posted:

The history file and Ctrl+r
History file is great, but you shouldn't rely on it. It deletes old commands if it is full, and it doesn't get written if you don't close your shell. Both of those are annoying to find out the hard way.

I do use the history file for commands that I use rarely but regularly. But the really annoying ones I have saved in an extra text file.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

evol262 posted:

I have every system I use set to append the history file when I run commands, which also lets you run multiple instances and have them all update the history file in order.
How do you configure that? I never even got around to checking if that is possible?

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

fuf posted:

Should I install dhcpd? The arch wiki says you shouldn't have dhcpd running alongside wicd (I'm using ubuntu not arch).
small note: dhcpd is not the same as dhcpcd.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

I am looking for a Dropbox replacement in terms of linux compatibility.
I currently have Dropbox started through init, use it as a directory and I have an encfs partition running on it.

Is there another one that is good and offers something like this. Or at least a directory mode with full client side encryption.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Clicking once per second certainly sounds like a dying drive.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Longinus00 posted:

One pro of pulseaudio over straight ALSA is that you can listen to two different audio streams at once (e.g. you're watching youtube and chatting with your mom over skype) without requiring a hardware mixer in your soundcard. This may not seem like a big deal but when was the last time a consumer computer had anything but one of those realtek chipsets? Unless you wanted everyone to go out and buy soundcards to put into their computers (think about laptops here) the writing was on the wall for pure ALSA.
You can do this with ALSA already. Actually you had too in the first few years of pulseaudio.
For a long time I had pulsaudo inputing into the ALSA software mixer, so that I could still have sound for the applications that triggered strange bugs in pulse or that didn't want to use pulse.

The actual part of pulse that I used was the ability to assign output and input streams to recording sinks.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

evol262 posted:

I used Linux through the the OSS->ALSA migration, and into PA. Bluntly, I'm not sure that you did, from the way you talk about it. ALSA got lambasted when it was new, too, but "good enough for 99% of users because audio sort-of works" isn't even an argument. Pulse is intended to be a modern audio system comparable to what Windows has. Something developers can use. Something users can use. Something DEs can tie into. Something ALSA never was. It's great if all you wanna do is use mpg123. Many of us want to do more.

Systemd is not encroaching on kernel space. Wherever you're getting that argument, scrap it. kdbus has uses outside of systemd, and its uptake is unrelated.
PA also wasn't interfacing with the kernel directly. It still managed to cause lots of kernel panics by interfacing with soundcard drivers in strange ways that aren't possible for alsa alone. And then the bug reports about those crashes are closed because people who use cheap sound cards shouldn't use linux anyway.
That sort of attitude for is the reason why systemd becoming the new PA is worrying.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

evol262 posted:

The point is that I'm not defending his personality. His personality is fine anyway as long as you're making reasonably sound technical arguments, but that ad hominems against project leaders are a lovely way to evaluate software.

Find one. Honestly. If they we're reported in Bugzilla, it would have been reassigned to the kernel component responsible for whatever driver to get fixed, not closed. "Sorry, we only support this hardware 50% of the way" is not how it works. But the pulse guys saying "this is a bug in the platform/driver that we are not going to work around from our level" is absolutely the "right" thing to do.

This should give you confidence, not pause. It's finding bugs in the kernel and getting them fixed.
It was a few years ago. The Pa Bugzilla said that it is a kernel bug and they won't do anything even though the bug is impossible to trigger without using PA.
The report on the kernel side said there is a clear solution which is to stop using PA. So they had no interest in fixing this quickly.
It took several years to be fixed.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

evol262 posted:

I looked and can't find it. Can you find the bug? I don't know if it's on freedesktop or bugzilla.redhat.com

Hissy fits like this are strongly discouraged, and teams work together (either of their own volition or because someone in PM makes them).

See this. Lennart and the PA teams cannot be blamed for distro problems, especially in distros with lovely release engineering (Ubuntu) or which don't have enough engineers to triage the problem so they say "it's this other thing's fault!" (Ubuntu, older SuSE).

While "works for me" is a bad way to resolve it, the PA guys (and Lennart in particular) are not responsible for implementation details on other distros, and saying "that's a kernel bug which we don't have in Fedora, so it's your broken poo poo" is also a valid reponse.
I can't find the reports now either. I think they were already hard to find back then even with the exact log.

The fact that it is hard to find is actually the larger problem. I was seriously considering buying a new soundcard back then, because I did want to use some of the more exotic features of PA. I decided against it because there was no way to verify if a given soundcard was compatible with PA. Because PA totally never directly interfaces with the hardware and so never can trigger strange kernel bugs.

Actually I think I saw that article you linked, back then. Or at least some similar ones. I definitely remember lots of dead links to the PA documentation that used to have some info I was looking for.

Now I see people (partially literally the same people) say the same thing about systemd. So this makes me hesitant to intall it, especially as it seems to have even less advantages than PA.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Cingulate posted:

free shows me there is basically no memory left. There is still 30GB buffers, but something is eating up hundreds of GB. If I display programs by memory usage, I find a few idling things not owned by me that together amount to a few GB, but I cannot account for >70% of memory used by looking at the top 60 processes. Is there some other way to figure out what's eating the RAM?

I don't have root and our admin is ... unavailable.
Do you count cache as free or used here?

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Did you check if your top 60 programs includes all programs or if it excludes inactive processes? Many lists exclude them by default.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

It looks more like cron is calling sudo, in some horribly wrong and undocumented way. I always found configuring cron to run a script as a user to be extremely finicky.
You probably would be better off running the script from marty's crontab.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

I had a probable XY problem recently and forgot to ask here. I actually do think that the answers to the Y problems are actually useful to know here.

I am trying out Kubuntu in a virtual machine to find out if like the distro. I was trying to get Japanese language input to work on Kubuntu.

The Manual I found on the main Kubuntu website recommends skim. Skim isn't compatible with kde 5 (and possible kde4), and it also has been removed from the repository.

From what I know, fcitx is the default IM-switcher for KDE these days, so I installed it.
Fcitx need some environment variables set to work correctly.
I couldn't figure out if (K)ubuntu has a specific recommended way to set system wide environment variables. The equivalent to gentoo's /etc/env.d/ .
FCitx manual recommended to put those variables into ~/.xprofile as an alternative, which doesn't seem to be read in Kubuntu.
Putting the variables into ~/.profile works, but I am not sure how Kubuntu handles such modified files when the system is updated.

So my question (in order of increased Y-ness)
1) What is the default IM-switcher in Kubuntu and how do I Install it?
2) Does Kubuntu have a recommended facility for setting environment variables?
3) Is there a simple setting to set to get Kubuntu to read xprofile?
4) Where is the updating of config files during package updates documented/configurable in Kubuntu?