Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

GT_Onizuka posted:

Is there anyway to disable this?

I understand the potential implications, I don't need a lesson on that. At work we have one main box that's exposed to the internet, and you can access the other machines through SSH by going through a specific port on the main machine that's just forwarded to 22 on another machine. However, if you've accessed one of the machines (let's say the main one), if you try and SSH into any of the others (with the specified port) you get this error message.

Essentially I'm writing a backup script for a machine that'll only rsync to those servers, and it needs to do it to two of them. I can't just delete the .ssh/known_hosts file, otherwise I'll get prompted which cannot happen, as it needs to be automated. Is there anyway I can disable/ignore this warning?
You could try putting "StrictHostKeyChecking no" to the config file.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.

Mashi posted:

I'm looking for a way to mount the share without keeping a plaintext password anywhere.

The entry in /etc/fstab looks like:
//192.168.1.200/share /mnt/share smbfs username=Mashi,rw 0 0

But since the windows share requires a password along with the username, I'm prompted for a password every time. I'd like for it to read the password from /etc/passwd, or /etc/samba/smbpasswd.
You may be able to mount the share during login using pam_mount.

Automatically mounting Samba and NCP shares using PAM
Mount SAMBA and NetWare volumes with pam_mount
Howto: CIFS + pam_mount

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

dfn_doe posted:

I don't know about the rest of you, but having /home mounted on an ext2 partition seems to be about the simplest way to ensure that you can get to your data from windows and/or OSX with easily available and stable tools/drivers with little chance of corrupting your data. Other FS types do not have this same ability... yet.
Ext3 should have the same ability. Those tools and drivers should treat it as ext2.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

dfn_doe posted:

bingo! That'd be a perfectly cromulent solution. You can figure out the UUID to disk mapping by jumping into /dev/disk/by-uuid and doing a quick "ls -l" to see where the UUID symlinks point.
Another option would be to use filesystem labels.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Scaevolus posted:

What internet connection do you have? Many residential connections forbid you to run a server over their network.
They probably do that just so they have some reason to kick you off if they get annoyed with you. Most P2P apps could probably be considered servers.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

How should I rename large amount of files with non-printable characters? I recently moved some harddrives between systems and lot of the files had umlauts in the names. The files were created on the old computer under ISO-8859-1 encoding and the new computer uses UTF-8.

I could rename them manually, but actually locating them would be a problem. I haven't figured a way to give such a non-printable character as a search parameter for find. Most of the files have just "Ä" and "Ö" characters, but some may also other random special characters, like accents, so I would also have to find all the files with non-ASCII characters.

This could be solved if I could somehow use the hex or octal codes of the characters with find. "ä" has octal 344, hex E4, "ö" has octal 366, hex F6.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Ericcorp posted:

I really need to do it from terminal. My employer will not let me run a graphical linux on any of our machines we have in the field. I only have graphical Ubuntu for my dev server to learn on, but I want to use the graphical options as little as possible.
Then just run 'sudo aptitude' or 'sudo apt-get'.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

commonbrick posted:

I have a Sun SparcStation 4 that I am going to be selling. Before I sell it I want to zero the drive and if possible, install a distro of linux or BSD on it.
DBAN's beta version has some support for Sun SPARC. You could try that.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Rescue Toaster posted:

B) I'll be doing software RAID5 via md. I don't want extra discs that can fail in the machine (and it only has 4 SATA ports anyway). Is it practical to use a small compact flash (connected to IDE) or even a USB flashstick as the /boot partition so root and everything else can be on the RAID array? Does /boot get written to a lot - wearing out the flash?
Flash drive should work, but another option is to create small partitions on the drives and use them as mirrored boot partitions or even standalone.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Kaso posted:

I have a ubuntu PC with two network interfaces, however my router's DHCP software (as far as i can work out) doesn't want to give me two IPs because both interfaces are broadcasting the same hostname.

Is it possible to force each interface to broadcast a "virtual" hostname of some kind?
Could be easier to set the other one to use a fixed IP, but I'm not sure what benefit you think you would get and using two NICs could cause problems.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

DEAD MAN'S SHOE posted:

thanks guys, seems that both are hit and miss, particularly with VBR bitrates (mpg321 will return the bitrate detected in blockN and file won't return anything).

tempted to try perl.
At least Debian seemed to have many apps that might be able to do it, like mp3info.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

chryst posted:

Yes, but it's only safe when the source disk isn't going to throw read errors.

(also, specify bs=1024k if you don't want to wait years for the copy)
Ddrescue could be worth a try in that case.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Coupon Wizard posted:

Can you just run "rm -rf /"?
That doesn't wipe anything, it just deletes the files. To wipe you need to run something like 'dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/Xda'. If you want to leave the server operational, then you need to delete all your files, then run 'd if=/dev/zero of=/home/Zerofile ; rm /home/Zerofile'. This overwrites all empty space and after it has filled the home-drive deletes the file. This needs to be repeated for every partition and it may still leave some data intact, for example in the swap.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

iceslice posted:

"df" is a quick way CLI way to get the basics.
And 'du' is the more advanced version.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

nbv4 posted:

The problem is that embedded google maps will only work from a domain you have a key for. I have a key, but it only works on my domain. using it on 127.0.0.1 will bring up an "invalid key" error. Up to now I've had to do development on the live site because the maps wouldn't show up on my local machine. This is a huge pain in the rear end. I just recently found out that google maps will without a key, as long as the page is accessed by "file:///", but as posters have said in this thread, PHP won't be executed via file:/// so I guess I'm kinda screwed unless I execute the code first, but that kinda defeats the purpose. My development technique is make a change on the code, ctrl + s, switch to browser and hit F5. I can do this up to 10 times a minute.
Just add "127.0.0.1 https://www.yourdomain.com" to the C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\hosts file. After that when you try to access yourdomain it will be directed to your own computer.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Deadpan Science posted:

I haven't really ever used linux before, and while I was able to download all of my .tar.gz files, I'm running into a lot of problems with (I think) permissions.

Where do you guys normally extract things when you're going to install them?

Also, I got this error with one of my other sciency programs I'm trying to install

Where is my .cshrc file?

EDIT: I just typed source /home/tim/programs/nmrpipinstall/com/nmrInit.linux9.com and now the program works, but that seems pretty annoying to have to do every time.
Normally you would unpack the files in your home directory, like you have done here, do any steps required for compiling it, then run something like 'sudo make install' to copy the compiled files to correct places. Check any README or INSTALL files for instruction for this particular software.

Instead of .cshrc you should probably use .bashrc, since Bash is the most commonly used shell on Linux.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Roctor posted:

Presumably the data is still in tact, but I'm not sure how to go about fixing this situation. I'm currently downloading a ubuntu live cd to hopefully get access to the drive to see what's going on.

My question is, if indeed I managed to delete my primary partition on my primary drive, how hosed am I?
You could try TestDisk, it may be able to restore the partitions. But first read the SH/SC Wiki Data Recovery article.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Lucien posted:

What a loving nightmare. I'm not the type to go on about Micro$haft Windoze LOL but some poor decisions were made concerning the dual boot handling. Good luck!
Vista didn't have much choice in this case. Beer installed Vista on logical partition which can't be made bootable and since the XP was on an active partition it was the correct place to store Vista's bootfiles.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Kane posted:

ADOPT ME

I know a LOT about computers and windows in general, but haven't a clue when it comes to Linux. I really need someone I can bug on ICQ/Messenger/E-Mail who will be available for quick questions and who will know where to direct me when I run into problems. I am really clueless about a lot of things and Linux seems to have a large factor if you don't know what's going on.
You could consider IRC, then you could have several people available. Channel #SHSC at irc.synirc.net. I don't remember if there was more Linux specific channel.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

JawnV6 posted:

fake edit: I think the TV's just being retarded. nvidia-settings even decided to play nice and open up, it can pull the EDID, knows it's a Sony TV and all the relevant specs, it's just the TV overscanning and not giving any useful options to pull it back. The system looks like it's generating the perfect signal.
Yes, I don't think there is much the computer can do if the TV doesn't support disabling overscan. The way Nvidia drivers do it on the Windows side is by actually sending out a picture with black borders. That way the TV overscan only cuts off the borders leaving the real picture intact.

juggalol posted:

No problem. I'll keep this in mind - I had hoped to use my current 32" HDTV as a desktop display once I get around to upgrading my TV (within the next year or two) but maybe that won't work out so well after all. I'd rather know now than spend hours banging my head against a wall.
Try to figure out if overscan can be disabled on your TV. It may be called 1:1 mapping for example. Searching from AVSforum may be helpful.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Dimitri ExZemos posted:

I have a question regarding anti-virus and NTFS scanning.

I would like to build a computer dedicated to scanning hard drives for viruses. What distribution and software should I use for this? How should I set it up? Are there PXEs available for this sort of thing already?

Thanks for your suggestions!
F-secure has a live CD made for virus scanning, that's one option.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Magicmat posted:

What am I doing wrong? I should note here that my text is being copy+past'ed out of my web browser, Opera, into gEdit, and saved to disk, so line endings are in \r\n format, for some reason.
Mario's post sounds like it would answer it, but the \r\n is the Windows/DOS way of using newlines and I'm not sure how sed handles them. You can switch the file to unix newlines with the command 'dos2unix' and back again with 'unix2dos'.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Hubis posted:

Is there a script or command-line tool that I can run that will parse a set of MP3 files and re-organize the file structure to match the ID3 tags? Ideally what I'd like to do is set up a cron job or something that periodically checks the $SUBSONIC_MEDIA/incoming folder for uploaded files, reorganizes them, and then moves them to the $SUBSONIC_MEDIA/music directory so that they can then be added to the database.

Any advice?

e: Actually, what would be ideal is a script that, given an input and output path, searches the input folder for MP3s, and intelligently copies them to the output path with the desired file structure.
You could probably make something out of mp3info command. For example 'mp3info -p "%a/%l/%f" file.mp3" outputs the string "Artist/Album/Filename". Make a script with something like
code:
mkdir "output-path/`mp3info -p "%a" file.mp3`"
mkdir "output-path/`mp3info -p "%a/%l" file.mp3`"
move file.mp3 "output-path/`mp3info -p "%a/%l" file.mp3`"

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

TekLok posted:

What's the best way to verify the integrity and completeness of a large transfer with many files (i.e. after backing up to an external usb hdd)? Before I format the old system I want to make sure I didn't lose ANYTHING in the 800gb transfer, including many small files. File system is ext4.
I prefer the combination of
code:
find PATH -type f -print0 | xargs -0 md5sum >> filechecksums.md5
md5sum -c filechecksums.md5
I think that's pretty much the standard way.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

livelikecode posted:

Don't know if this for sure belongs here, but I don't want to make a whole thread for this...

I'm trying to find a piece of software that will allow me to select multiple files/folders across multiple disks and filesystems and then copy them en masse to a network location, possibly windows -> linux or vice versa. What I am trying to do is migrate all of my music/movies to a central linux HTPC/media server, but all the files are scattered throughout my multiple PCs throughout my house, so I would like to be able to install a program to select all of the folders that I want to copy on one PC and click 'GO' to have it copy the files. Posting in the linux thread because I would like linux-compatible, GPL compliant software.

Thanks!
'cp -R sourcedir1 sourcedir2 sourcedir3 ... targetdir'

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

fatman1683 posted:

Basically I want to replace my current 3-box home network setup with one box. I want to use an Atom board and a small SSD to minimize power consumption and heat and allow more rapid booting on par with a commercial router, and I want to use the RAMdisk setup to maximize the lifetime of the SSD and improve performance, since the SSDs I'm looking at have dreadfully slow write speeds.

If anyone can suggest a better way to accomplish this I'm certainly open to ideas, this is just what I came up with from farting around with stuff I could find on Google.
Just try to reduce the amount of writes on the SSD.

How to: Reduce Disk Writes to Prolong the Life of your Flash Drive
Four Tweaks for Using Linux with Solid State Drives

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

roadhead posted:

And because I had not yet made a mdadm.conf - even with a proper shutdown the array would not be unmounted cleanly, which explains the resyncing after I --assemble it again.
Is the mdadm.conf actually necessary? I have one and it only has
code:
DEVICE partitions
MAILADDR root
and then a bunch of obsolete arrays that have been replaced ages ago and I've had no problems with my arrays. Just create the array out of partitions of the type "Linux raid autodetect".

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

epswing posted:

Which should go first, rm or find, and why?

code:
rm -rf `find . -type d -name .svn`
code:
find . -depth -type d -name "\.svn" -exec rm -rf {} \;
The first one runs only one 'rm-command', but if there are too many directories it may exceed the bash parameter limit and the command won't work. It will probably also give lots of errors when 'rm' tries to remove subfolders that were already removed. The second one will run separate 'rm' for every directory, so there won't be problem with the parameter limit. I believe neither of those can handle spaces, the exec can be fixed with rm -rf '{}' \;.

I think usually it's considered most correct to use xargs, but it may run into to the same problem where 'rm' tries to remove folders that were already removed.
code:
find . -depth -type d -name "\.svn" -print0 | xargs -0 rm -rf

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Has anyone tried using Ubuntu with a wide vertical Gnome panel on the side? It seems to be pretty broken. Below is a picture of how it works and under it an example of how I would want it to work from Vista. Not only does it get completely messed up even switching between applications doesn't work right. It often required repeated mouseclicks before it registers.

Click here for the full 1440x900 image.

Click here for the full 959x600 image.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

The Gay Bean posted:

code:
sudo iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -p udp --dst 192.168.0.121 --dport 4000 -j DNAT --to-destination 192.168.0.121:2700
As you can see, traffic from device 1 is getting ignored by iptables and continuing to the host on port 4000, but traffic from device 2 is getting caught by the rule and getting forwarded to port 2700. I can clear iptables and reissue the rule all day and it just switches between those two states.

Anyone have some insight into what might be happening?
Does anything change if you use iptables rule
code:
sudo iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -p all --dst 192.168.0.121 --dport 4000 -j DNAT --to-destination 192.168.0.121:2700
The only rational explanation I can think of that Iptables doesn't consider it UDP traffic. Maybe it could "UDP lite".

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

ExcessBLarg! posted:

It's a bit dubious to encrypt an already-encrypted key, unless you know that what you're encrypting it with has a better key derivation function and you're using old-style PEM keys for compatibility purposes.

If all the machines you care about are running OpenSSH 6.5 or newer, probably the best thing to do is generate new, strong keys using strong passwords. You can then back them up online as-is. To do so, use "ssh-keygen -o" which stores them in the new OpenSSH key format, or better yet, "ssh-keygen -t ed25519" to generate ED25519 keys which are automatically stored in the new format.

You can also use the -a parameter to increase the hashing iteration rounds from the default 16 rounds. You can find more information at the tedu blog.

If your OpenSSH client is older than 6.5 and you can't use the new format, then you can use OpenSSL to convert the key to PKCS #8 format.
Improving the security of your SSH private key files

If you plan to use KeePass to store the key in cloud or other sensitive info, then remember to use a large number of key transformation rounds. Another option is to use key file, it would practically make the password quite a bit stronger. This is something I've considered if I want to use the cloud to sync my KeePass database between my desktop and cellphone. I wouldn't have to use inconveniently long passwords or too many transformation rounds for the cellphone to handle. The key file would be stored only on the devices, never in the cloud.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

RyuHimora posted:

I almost can't believe this was the drat issue, but I should not be surprised when Microsoft fucks something up for me. Thanks. Only problem is dos2unix didn't help, but copying iptable.txt from the working machine seems to have worked. Guess we just can't edit it with Windows, then.

I believe nowadays 'dos2unix' may be replaced by the command 'fromdos'. And 'unix2dos' => 'todos'. Debian has them in the "tofrodos" package.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Tab8715 posted:

In what circumstance do you have file names with such odd characters? Is this common in the *nix world?

I like to use correct names on my manga collections and that's why I remember by heart that Alt+0191 on the numpad will produce ¿. For some reason many titles want to use question marks and that's the best I could do. Then I came across manga that had "/" in the title and that's just verboten. But Japan to the rescue, I whipped out charmap and searched for a kanji character that looked most like / and used that, problem solved! Except later I needed to type the title again and I couldn't figure out what character I needed to use.
:suicide:

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Is there a TFTP/PXE boot CD image for situations where you can't configure DHCP to use proper PXE? At work we use PXE to install RHEL and Ubuntu servers. We have access to another organization's Openstack system but they don't support our PXE environment and I doubt we would be able to configure it. I'd like some kind of CD image that would replace the initial PXE boot and then continue with the normal TFTP boot.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Methanar posted:

I was having a pretty good time watching some people argue about how cat /dev/urandom >/dev/sda would be a safer way to fill your disk with garbage than cat /dev/null >/dev/sda. At least with random you'd still have a chance of accidentally installing windows 95 or something.

So if you need to create a lot of pseudorandom data fast what method would you use? I once wanted to test a NFS server and suspected it would have dedup and other fancy features so /dev/zero would just get soaked up. Best method I could find was encrypting /dev/zero with openssl.

code:
dd if=<(openssl enc -rc4 -pass pass:"$(dd if=/dev/urandom bs=128 count=1 2>/dev/null | base64)" -nosalt < /dev/zero) of=/mnt/nfstest bs=10M count=100 iflag=fullblock

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Thermopyle posted:

I've got a system living on a 2 disk mdadm raid1. I want to move it to a single SSD.

How do I do this?

I assume you mean had, since you seem to be missing the other harddrive.

How large is the SSD? If it's large enough the simplest method could be to add it as replacement drive for the RAIDs and then run grub-install. If it's under 1TB then dd won't work and you need to copy the files to the new disk while offline.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

salisbury shake posted:

my_username@my_hostname:/mnt/Storage/BitTorrent/.incomplete$ ls -lah .
total 0
drwxrwxr-x 1 my_username 6.1K Jan 26 13:46 ./
drwxrwxrwx 1 my_username 17K Jan 22 07:17 ../
drw-rw-rw- 1 my_username 334 Mar 14 2014 Warpaint - The Fool - 2010 v0/

Any idea what I could be doing wrong here?

Directories need the x permission. Try 'chmod 777 "Warpaint - The Fool - 2010 v0"'.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

fuf posted:

hello I'm trying to run a backup script on my debian server via cron.

I would suspect that "cron" doesn't have the same $PATH as when you run it interactively. Edit crontab to use the full path /usr/local/bin/backup and possibly edit the script to use the full path for rsync-command.

Additional error messages may be in root's mail, check the contents of /var/spool/mail/root.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

MagnumOpus posted:

Anyone know how logrotate determines "order" for multiple config files in /etc/logrotate.d?

I'm writing puppet manifests and want to allow for over-rides in other app-specific modules, so I need to make sure that logrotate reads the multiple files "in order".

EDIT: I think I read the manpage incorrectly, and the "order" refers to invoking logrotate from command line. So I guess my real question is "If the same logfile is declared in 2 different conf files in logrotate.d/, which is used?"

I was just going through cron emails at work earlier today and saw quite a few complaints about similar situations. I would probably try avoiding it.

code:
"/etc/cron.daily/logrotate:

error: syslog:1 duplicate log entry for /var/log/messages"

"/etc/cron.daily/logrotate:

error: error running non-shared postrotate script for /var/log/messages
of '/var/log/messages '"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

From the crontab man:

quote:

The ``sixth'' field (the rest of the line) specifies the command to be run. The entire command portion of the line, up to a newline or % character, will be executed by /bin/sh or by the shell specified in the SHELL variable of the crontab file. Percent-signs (%) in the command, unless escaped with backslash (\), will be changed into newline characters, and all data after the first % will be sent to the command as standard input. There is no way to split a single command line onto multiple lines, like the shell's trailing "\".

I consider such a complicated crontab command too risky, I would put a single script without any parameters or redirections as the crontab command and do the more complicated stuff inside that script.