Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

covener
Jan 10, 2004

You know, for kids!

Pudgygiant posted:

even when I directly type index.php into the browser. Might be some hosed up caching issue.

Always test this kind of thing with wget/curl/netcat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

covener
Jan 10, 2004

You know, for kids!

fuf posted:

On the basis of this I changed status.conf to:

My moneys is on the status.conf you're looking at never actually being included in your configuration. The actual context change should not have helped. The apache layout for debian encourages this sort of thing.

quote:

But aren't requests for localhost always caught by the "default" VirtualHost?

No, the local interface and port of the incoming connection either matches an explicit virtualhost or is handled by the "base server configuration" or "main server [configuration]". But most things defined in the main server configuration are merged into the virtualhosts anyway.

covener fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Oct 18, 2014

covener
Jan 10, 2004

You know, for kids!

Odette posted:

sudo service spamassassin restart && service spamass-milter restart

That runs the first "service" command as root but not the second, hence the permissions errors.

covener
Jan 10, 2004

You know, for kids!

nescience posted:

No the server is a linux machine. I installed xrdp so I can connect to it via rdp. But based on how the image is coming through I think its just VNC protocol. If im not getting a real RDP experience I might as well just use VNC, since I dont log out of the linux desktop on the server.

maybe checkout freenx for marginally faster remote desktop on linux.

covener
Jan 10, 2004

You know, for kids!

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Doesn't help that Linus's approval of binary modules makes for much ambiguity, whereas the GNU interpretation of the GPL is quite clear for C-language software.

Those are just opinions on what constitutes a derivative work. I don't think the authors of projects, licenses or license FAQ's have any real say in that. When push comes to shove, it's only really useful as a yardstick in honoring someones wishes about how their work is used.

covener
Jan 10, 2004

You know, for kids!

Thermopyle posted:

I've got a bash script that runs some php scripts (that I didn't write), sleeps for 5 minutes and then loops and runs them again, forever. These php scripts are poo poo from someone else, but I don't want to spend ages rewriting them. By "these php scripts are poo poo" I mean that for whatever reason they freeze up a couple times a day which means I've got to keep checking on them.

Is there an easy way to check for any console output and if it hasn't changed in awhile kill my little bash script and run it again?

I mean, I could rewrite it in Python and I could do it there easy as pie, but I'm lazy and thought I'd ask if there was some cool linux way of doing this...

There is a little "timeout" utility in coreutils that runs the program you pass to it, and sends it a SIGTERM after a specified time.

covener
Jan 10, 2004

You know, for kids!

ToxicFrog posted:

...there are people who don't use virtual desktops?

I haven't for years. There was a period where I had some bizarre issue and was changing/reconfiguring my DE and I just stopped bothering after a time. I just don't have much need for sets of simultaneously in use windows -- I'll only occasionally pin a small terminal or chat window above some already tabbed app but even that is rare.

covener
Jan 10, 2004

You know, for kids!

Death Vomit Wizard posted:

Grepping Logs is Terrible
This article reminded me how much I need to learn about managing logs. I'm curious now to see how a very basic centralized log database might be set up, but my google searches are failing me. Care to point a noob in the right direction?

might check out splunk

covener
Jan 10, 2004

You know, for kids!

Measly Twerp posted:

If anyone here is butthurt, it's you.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/InterpretingMetaphorsSoYouDontEmbarassYourself

covener
Jan 10, 2004

You know, for kids!

Suspicious Dish posted:

lol if you think IBM or HP have things like "strategy" or "a business plan"

the most IBM could get us to do was try sort of hard to fix PPC bugs every once in a while, which mostly came down to people using "union" wrong, assuming little-endian architecture.

RedHat, Novell, and Canonical all cranked out new ppc64le distributions in the last 18 months. I guess it was just some ad-hoc altruism on their part?

covener
Jan 10, 2004

You know, for kids!

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

Yeah, I think that's the problem. So the problem I have now is that I can get, at the client, LDAP with TLS working if I use a standalone ldap browser, and ldapsearch tools. In our software, though, TLS fails for user auth. I open a dev ticket, but until I reproduce it on a dev system here in house, they won't do anything. The problem with that, is this cert nonsense we are dealing with.

They even sent me a cert and credentials on a test domain, but they fail too.

Are you sure your failing executable uses with the systems native LDAP SDK?

Beyond just having a different LDAP client library with a different SSL impl or trust store, more obscure problems I've seen in this neighborhood is servers that send their intermediate certificates out-of-order, which is tolerated by some SSL libraries and not others. If it's a total blackbox, In a pinch, I'd look at strace to see if any on-disk certificates or vaguely cert-related directories are loaded.

If you can get a little bit of code slipped into your executable, have them try ldap_set_option of LDAP_DEBUG to produce some debugging to stderr. Values that are useful vary wildly (see e.g. http://httpd.apache.org/docs/trunk/mod/mod_ldap.html#ldaplibrarydebug).

I don't recall seeing a verbatim error from your real app. On the off chance this happens to be some proprietary IBM software on Linux, name it and I can probable help as I have a lot of experience with their SSL and LDAP client libraries.

covener
Jan 10, 2004

You know, for kids!

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

I think I finally get it:

code:
eMacbook:emtest eric$ viewcert emtest.ca.pem
        Issuer: DC=corp, DC=EMTEST, CN=EMTEST
        Subject: CN=DC1TEST.EMTEST.corp
So this CA file they gave me is issued by emtest.emtest.corp.

I wouldn't call that CA, it's going to lead to a lot of confusion. CA implies a root, self-signed issuer.

covener
Jan 10, 2004

You know, for kids!

MrPablo posted:

code:
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH="/lib/path/to/check:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH"

Watch out for trailing ":" in this expansion, it will often lead to your working directory being searched.

covener
Jan 10, 2004

You know, for kids!

reading posted:

How do I change write permissions for an entire drive in Mint? I have an SSD drive mounted at /media/myname/big-number-blob and I can only create files in there with sudo. I'd like it to just be seen as a normal area belonging to my user that I can write to.

If it's not a normal/native filesystem, check out the uid (and umask options) for mount. Otherwise, fix the ownership directly I guess like previous poster said

(edit: elaborated, was thinking some silly vfat filesystem)

covener
Jan 10, 2004

You know, for kids!

RFC2324 posted:

Ok, I was just taking an assessment for a job, and one of the questions was a thing I had never run into before.

How to rm a file that starts with a -filename.

I went with rm ./-filename can someone confirm this for me? it just seems both obvious, and a weird edge case.

They were probably looking for the general form of signaling the end of options with -- as in rm -- -filename

covener
Jan 10, 2004

You know, for kids!

IAmKale posted:

I :yotj: recently and I have return my current work laptop. The hard drive inside it, though, is mine so I don't have to scramble too quickly to back up my Linux stuff.

How feasible is it to drop an existing Linux install into new hardware? My Windows experience tells me it's best to do a clean install of an OS when you change up hardware, is that a good rule for Linux too? I have / and /home on separate partitions so it wouldn't be a big deal to reinstall, I'm just worried about losing my PPAs and other customizations that don't reside in /home.

Bringing the old disk up on new HW has been pretty straightforward for me. Your network interfaces might get incremented/renamed which can be a little speedbump, but nothing too tricky. My (pre-systemd) cheatsheet has about whacking /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules for example.

covener
Jan 10, 2004

You know, for kids!

Tigren posted:

Why would the remote host know the username you're running that command as?

(comedy only) identd!

covener
Jan 10, 2004

You know, for kids!

YouTuber posted:

How do you guys find and install the various missing packages for to pass configuration checks when compiling software? I'm working with Ubuntu and attempting to compile a newer version of network-manager and network-manager-applet since the current version in 16.04 is broken. I launch configure it runs for a bit then spews out missing packages. Tells me to install gio-unix. I apt search; find multiple versions of libgio and install them all. Start configure again and still says missing gio-unix. I go search and find it's in some alphabet soup package.

Is there some way of automating the install of these missing packages? Half the missing packages are renamed in the Ubuntu repository or grouped under some other package so each individual roadblock requires a google search to find the real name.

You could install the build-deps of the packaged version (apt-get build-dep foo) to get a head start

covener
Jan 10, 2004

You know, for kids!

apropos man posted:

If I try and copy a scrap file into /opt on my laptop it won't allow me without sudo, so why was scp allowed to do it?

Likely different permissions on /opt on your server vs. a difference in scp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

covener
Jan 10, 2004

You know, for kids!

Double Punctuation posted:

There are actually a couple of requirements in HTTP/2. TLS 1.2 and above with SNI extensions is required, ECDHE with the P-256 curve must be supported and use 224+-bit keys, and GCM and SHA-256 must be supported. Technically, you don't need TLS at all, but in practice, nobody supports HTTP/2 without encryption, and those are the minimum requirements for encryption.

Additionally ALPN, although like everything else in the quoted post, they are all a few years old.