Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Ok, might be a dumb question that was covered a few pages back but I can't tell. I'd like multi-zone, whole house audio, but my house is not wired for speakers. It would be a massive pain to do the wiring, so I'm curious as to whether there are wireless speakers, maybe bluetooth maybe something else, that I could "wire" into like a 6-zone amp. I'm not interested in streaming music from my phone, I want to play cd's or records to my amp and turn on/turn off zones, control volumes independently, etc... The speakers could be flushmount or not, really. I know getting power would be an issue, so I'm assuming that flushmount would be weird, but it would still be easier to wire a speaker for power in the ceiling or wall than to run conduit back to my amp. Any suggestions would be awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Hob_Gadling posted:

Are you doing this for yourself or your family? Do you plan to use sources other than physical media?

For myself, and I'd have a computer hooked up, too, but I listen to records as much as anything.

KillHour posted:

You shouldn't need to run conduit. If you can wall fish romex for power, wall fishing speaker wire is easier.

That sounds like a colossal pain, but it might be the best way to do it.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

KillHour posted:

It really is, on both counts.

Do you have plaster or drywall?

Drywall, but the setup of the house and where I'd want speakers doesn't at all lend itself to wallfishing. It's not a room, I want to do the whole house.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

KillHour posted:

Wall-fishing is probably the only way to do it for a whole house system. Do you have a basement?

It's finished. Actually re-wiring my house for sound is way down on the list of things I want to do with my weekends. I'd rather just move a boombox from one room to another.

Somebody needs to invent a little dongle with speaker wires on one end that acts like a virtual wire. Plug one into the receiver, the pair into the speaker, and there it is.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Yeah, I've looked at Sonos and it's not exactly what I'm looking for. I'm really looking for a virtual speaker cable. Aren't there surround sound rears that are like that? Kinda lovely, but wireless?

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Thanks guys. Seems like the product I'm looking for doesn't exist (yet?), but I appreciate the suggestions.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

sliderule posted:

I'm looking for a dedicated PA with a low price and is not terribly ugly (Behringer iNuke, I'm looking at you).

That looks like a cheap car amp.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

slothzilla posted:

I just bought some new speakers. As I was unpacking them, I noticed something is loose and rattling around inside one of the speakers. They seem to sound ok, but I'm a little concerned about what might be broken in there that I will find out down the road, or how it will impact resale value in the future.

Will opening the speaker up void my warranty? Should I try to return it?

What kind of speakers are they?

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

slothzilla posted:

a pair of Wharfedale diamond 10.1

I don't think anyone would be able to tell if you opened it up, if the warrantee is all you care about. But if the speakers work, and you like them, why not open them up when and if you plan to sell them? Then you really don't have to worry about voiding something.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Audiokarma has a whole forum for asking what stuff is worth.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

SteveMcQueen posted:

This is an odd one but can anyone recommend a tape player? My grandfather made a bunch of jazz mix tapes way back in the day that I'd like to listen to them through my stereo.

You should be able to get a tape deck on the cheap through Craigslist/Salvation Army/The Dump. A dedicated tape deck from the 70's or early 80's is probably going to better built than anything you'd want to buy new.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

ScarletBrother posted:

I have a rather large head (US hat size 7 & 5/8) and I need a comfortable USB Gaming Headset with microphone. I'd prefer not to spend more than $75 if possible. What can my fellow gigantor-headed goons recommend?

Pioneer Andrew Jones Bookshelf Speakers + duct tape.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Hob_Gadling posted:

Do you mean Canton Plus S?

Apparently they're relatively bright. You might want to try Marantz 2200 series amps (which is my recommendation, f. ex. 2230 isn't too expensive on Ebay) or some tube amp if you can deal with their peculiarities (which I really, really don't recommend unless you know what you're getting into). If you just want a music system with a modern amp for a relatively low price, try entry level models from Marantz or NAD.

If they really are Canton Plus 5, I have no idea.

Is he going to be able to drive 4 ohm speakers, even bookshelves, with a low wattage amp?

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
The first hit under boom box on amazon was a sony that does everything you're looking for. It's the CFDS50. Aux input not Bluetooth.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

eddiewalker posted:

All of my local AM sports stations are simulcast on FM now. AM is quickly becoming less important for a lot of people.

Or just use smart phone + tuneIn app.

I'd wager anything billed as water resistant is the exact same thing painted yellow for more money, too.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

rear end Catchcum posted:

if I convert from FLAC to ALAC to I lose ANY quality or no?

Post your system, please. I wanna see.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

devmd01 posted:

Are there any FM tuner units with a stereo out and IR remote control that aren't $200 rackmount units, something the size of a cheap lepai t-amp? Because the $200 units are all I can find. I don't need a full-blown receiver, just an FM/AM tuner to run into the in-law's soundbar for occasional use. Size is important because of course they picked what looks good, not what would fit their components with room for future addition.

How about an old smartphone with a TuneIn app?

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
I put my iPhone in a big plastic cup and that usually works ok for amplification. Or for 40 bucks go with that thing.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Just get a cheapo used receiver. Why does it need to be a switch?

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Palladium posted:

Yes.

But wooden volume knobs sound better right? :allears:

They're a lot easier to use.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Why don't 5.1 Soundbars need a receiver? I really just plug an Xbox's Optical in and they can translate it into 5.1 audio?

What do you mean translate? It might have some onboard delay effects to simulate surround sound, but that's about it.

Edit: if it comes with rears and a sub, then sure. 5 channels.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

for sale posted:

So i'm trying to sell some speakers but i'm not really sure how much I can reasonably get for them on craigslist. They're basically a new in box seven or eight year old 5.1 system from yamaha.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/506996-REG/Yamaha_NS_SP7800PN_NS_SP7800PN_5_1_Channel_Home_Theater.html

Does anybody have an idea?

Lookslike MSRP was in the $500 range, as low as like $350 on sale? You could shoot for $250 maybe? I don't know how that HTIB stuff sells used, even decentish stuff like that set.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

for sale posted:

Thank you, I was listing them for that but there is just no demand for these things, i've sold old furniture faster than this. I just needed a second opinion

I mean that might say it all. There's always a lot of HTIB stuff on Craigslist, most of it garbage, and most of it overpriced IMO. People who are looking to buy that stuff might just prefer getting (cheaper quality?) stuff new from best buy instead of looking at Craigslist, so you might have to cut it down to the bone to move it.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Kestral posted:

I’ve got a unusual audio recording situation I could use some advice on.

I record tabletop roleplaying sessions, which generally consist of three to five people sitting around a table in acoustically-challenged rooms talking for four to eight hours. For years I’ve used an ancient iRiver Clix for that purpose, not because it made great recordings (although as SnakePlissken mentioned earlier they’re surprisingly good for a pinhole mic) but because it’s unobtrusive: just a 2.5“ x 1.5“ block that sits in the center of the table not calling any attention to itself, so people forget it’s there and play normally instead of remembering that they’re being recorded. But the faithful Clix is on its last legs, so I’m looking for a replacement that will give us better audio quality (which shouldn’t be hard) without sticking out too much.

It’s that second part that’s giving me trouble. A mic in the middle of the table isn’t ideal, especially one connected to a laptop; even something like a Zoom H4N gives me pause. On the other hand, I don’t know enough about how quality recording equipment works to know if there’s a way to use devices like that unobtrusively.

I’d like to stay around $200, but since I expect to use this for years and it’s important to me to get it right, I’m willing to go up to $300. Any suggestions?

Why do you record tabletop role playing games?

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
None of it is really redundant, it's just an extremely nice stereo system. You have 2 turntables because why not have two turntables, and tubes for when you want tubes. If he bought it all new he spent about 20 grand, I'd say.

One vote for "don't sell it" right here. Keep it in the family.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

The Mandingo posted:

Sorry, I was posting from my phone. I did spell it correctly on my inventory list.

There's actually 4 turntables, I just recognized there was two nice ones and two crap ones. One has a USB out because I think he was going to digitize and the other is a huge Crosley console.

Also: what's tubes, precious?

Yeah, that's the one gripe about the B&O that I found online - proprietary cartridges that are somewhat hard to find. The Pro-Ject looks nice at least: http://project-audio.com/main.php?prod=rpm5&cat=turntables&lang=en

The mc 275 is a tube amp.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

The Mandingo posted:

What's the difference between tube and transistor amps?

About $5000

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Darth Ronson posted:

How much is sound quality affected by the hi-fi unit, and how much is the speakers? I've got a 100w hifi unit and I'm thinking of buying some louder speakers.

It depends, really. Speakers are almost always going to be noticeable though. What do you have and what are you looking to buy?

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Yeah if loudness is your only real need just get some kabuki speakers from the 70's

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

brenter posted:

My subwoofer started making a constant popping / humming noise even when its not plugged into the receiver. I've messed with the dials to no avail.

Any idea what would cause that?

Usually a guilty conscience.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Buy a 35$ humidifier.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

qirex posted:

This is why I will never buy an Onkyo receiver, [or Pioneer starting soon I guess]. I've heard more about quality control problems with them than just about any other piece of electronics gear.

I've got an Onkyo TX-1500 on my desk that's a trooper. Nice faux woodgrain too!

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

KaiserSchnitzel posted:

I have a question that I believe I know the answer to, but I need confirmation from someone who knows what they are talking about because I do not know what I am talking about.

I am also looking for a product recommendation.

Here is the TL; DR for just the questions:

Question 1: Does Dolby Pro Logic II in my AV receiver convert a stereo signal source to a 5.1 surround output?

Question 2: Can someone recommend a QUALITY HDMI switch that has a minimum of 4 HDMI inputs AND has an optical output as well as an HDMI out?

Background just in case you are curious as to my motives:
I had a dream. In this dream, I have a house with a living room and a family room, and both of these rooms have no television in them whatsoever. Why? because I don't watch TV - I don't think I'm better than anybody who does; I just really, really get irritated by commercials. Well, angry. Like, Bruce Banner angry; especially during election years. So, I haven't had cable TV since 2000 when I gave up on being a sports fan THANKS MORTEN ANDERSON YOU gently caress. But that's just painful; and I digress.

I do have a television, of course, because I use it to play video games on both consoles and on PC games played with a controller. The PC and the television and game consoles are all in the same room, which is a spare bedroom. The way it was set up was that the TV and AV receiver were on the east wall of the room and the desk and PC were on the south wall. When I played PC games at my desk, I used the 5.1 audio from my PC, and when I played PC games on the TV I would switch the PC audio to go through the HDMI cable to the TV and then from the TV to the receiver via optical cable - all of my consoles went through that optical cable as well.

I have decided that this is just too drat many speakers - two 5.1 systems in the same room is 12 speakers, and the wiring gets absolutely out of control since I rent and cannot just drill holes willy-nilly. So I decided to put the PC and the TV on the same east wall and use the receiver for sound exclusively. All was well and good until I started doing a little fact checking about getting surround sound from a PC through HDMI, and I found out that HDMI and optical cable only send stereo. This is not acceptable.

But yet, I've been getting surround through HDMI cables run to the TV and then through optical to the receiver on my consoles, and I'd assumed that this had been the case with my PC when run through the TV as well. So, I think what is going on is that the AV receiver converts the stereo signal to 5.1 surround via Dolby Pro Logic II. Is this correct? Is this what Dolby Pro Logic II actually does? I'm fine with it being slightly sub-par surround compared to the true 5.1 surround coming from my PC through several different channel ports. So, if this is correct, my problem is much mitigated.

However, there is another problem. Now that the PC and TV are on the same wall, and the PC sound is run through HDMI to the TV and then to the receiver, I must have the television on even when I am playing games on my computer monitor with KBM. This is a problem because it's a plasma TV and all of those electronics running at once make that room way too hot...besides, it's just wasteful to have the TV on as well. There is an optical out on the back of my motherboard, however, the problem with running that straight to the AV receiver is that the AV receiver only has one optical input, and it has no HDMI input at all. Therefore, I would have to dig around behind all of these electronics to pull out the optical cable attaching the PC to the receiver and plug in the optical cable running from the TV to get sound through the receiver playing console games. So...I need an HDMI switch with at least 4 HDMI inputs and an optical out as well as an HDMI out. 5 or 6 inputs would be better. Can someone recommend a QUALITY HDMI switch with those features? All of the ones I seem to see online have terrible reviews.

Thanks!

That's a lot of words to ask a couple of simple questions, I think. You'd probably get a better response if you cut out all the horseshit.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

wolfbiker posted:

I have a vintage Yamaha CR-640 that I purchased back in May. It's been running fine recently, UNTIL I hooked up a subwoofer to it. Now it will randomly make a clicking sound (the same sound it makes when I turn the receiver on) while playing music and the music will turn off. After a 30 seconds to a minute, it will click again and the music will turn back on. The lights on the front stay on, and it looks like it's still on, but with the sound it makes and the audio cutting out, it's as if the receiver is turning off and then back on.

The receiver has A/B speaker outputs on the back. Originally I just hooked my stereo speakers up to the A outputs. With the subwoofer, I have it connected via the speaker B outputs on the receiver going to the subwoofer. I have the dial on the front of the receiver set to use both the A and B outputs simultaneously.

Everything works great when it works, but then it will randomly click off and then click back on again when I'm using both sets of speakers. If I disconnect the sub and let it sit for a while, things seem to return to normal. If I hook the sub back up, things are okay for a while, but then this cutting out business returns again.

I have a Yamaha YP-B2 turntable connected to the phono input and a Logitech Bluetooth adapter hooked up to the aux input. This behavior happens on these inputs along with the tuner.

Any thoughts? Is it overloading or heating the receiver? Why have dual stereo speaker outputs if it can't handle it?

It's only 40 wpc at 8 ohms, first off, so while you could presumably drive 4 very efficient speakers in A/B mode, your sub is loving things up. How many receivers in 1979 were designed with any notion of driving a subwoofer? Very few, I'd imagine. The sub is going to be a 4 or 2 ohm load. I don't think the math works.

BigFactory fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Aug 7, 2015

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

wolfbiker posted:

Hmm, okay, I have no idea what you said, but the gist of it is I can't hook a sub up to it because it's not compatible and the receiver is shutting down?

http://www.prestonelectronics.com/audio/Impedance.

You can read about it there, but that sub is probably not providing enough resistance and your receiver is going into protection mode so it doesn't catch on fire.

Nice receiver, though.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

BANME.sh posted:

Cool if you use google music or spotify I guess. The number of music apps that support chromecast right now is abysmally small. I hate that it needs to rely on app support, where something like bluetooth is built into the OS and just happily works in any app.

Songza works, which is a good one.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
It's weird to me that some goons don't know how stereos work. I can't tell if it's because they're young and raised on ipod/smartphone/computers with just headphones or built in speakers, or if they're computer nerds and can't imagine not listening to music at a computer by plugging a pair of lovely logitec speakers into the 1/8" jack.

But anyways, you can get powered speakers that you could plug a chromecast audio into. M Audio is a brand that gets tossed around a lot, and their small AV 40 bookshelf speakers are $219 on amazon right now. They have a bunch of models, some under $200 (the AV42 is $150), so that might be a route.

If you want passive speakers (which are probably better speakers than active ones at the same price point, and a lot easier to find used) you will need an amp. If you want a subwoofer, you're probably going to end up with an AV receiver or look for some kind of active computer desktop bundle with questionable sound quality.

So maybe M-Audio is a brand you want to look at? If you're in the US you can get a used receiver and speakers for less than $200 on Craigslist. This is a good time to be looking too with people getting new gear for christmas..

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
I went boom box to mini stereo thing as a kid, too, but with the mini stereo you still had to connect speakers to something. You couldn't just take a Walkman and plug speakers into it. I never thought it was a foreign concept, but I've seen people confused here a lot about it.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
It looks like the plastic around coax, which is really soft. If you heat up a sewing needle or finish nail with a lighter you might be able to melt right in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Yeah, almost any other kind of cord you can find in your house will work better than rca