Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Put the sub in your normal listening position (probably on the couch), then play some bassy music and do the "subwoofer crawl" along the walls. Wherever the bass sounds best is where you should put your sub.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
I have a 12 inch pioneer sub in my car but the box seems pretty small. I have a really good amp that has more than enough power. If I leave everything the same but just get a bigger box, will that increase the loudness of the sub?
And can I port any sub box?

thehandtruck
Mar 5, 2006

the thing about the jews is,
I'm looking for some bookshelf speakers. I had the infinity beta 20's for a few years and loved them but I just moved and am looking for something a tiny bit smaller. (Hope this is the right thread for recommendations, it was this or the first home audio thread)

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum

Aeka 2.0 posted:

Here is what I've currently got going. I've removed the speaker grill and added the cabinets, ready for drawers.:

Not a brony.

My screen is not acoustically transparent. If I were to move the subs directly behind the screen, wouldn't the screen flutter? I also assume I'd have to build a sturdy shelf and foam it up. I know jonathan posted some examples for transparent screens. If I can get away with moving the subs up, I'd do it as I don't really want to deal with drywall work.

Even though this hasn't been answered I'm looking into getting samples of different AT screen material and if I like what I see I will re - screen my frame. I'm unsure how it will attach to the current frame as the current setup has rods that go through a folded loop and is then clipped in place.

edit: poo poo this stuff is relatively cheap. I didn't know that a screen's major cost was the frame until now.

Aeka 2.0 fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Aug 14, 2014

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Does anyone have an extra pioneer mcacc mic that I could toss you a couple of bucks for? I seem to have lost mine and I picked up a new sub woofer, and I'd like to get it properly calibrated.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
I bought a SoundBlaster Play (little USB sound card) for my work PC to replace the terrible onboard sound since I listen to a lot of music at work on pretty nice Sennheiser headphones.

It sounds nice, but the output is really high, to the point that I have to have the Windows volume control set to a max of about 4 or 5 to avoid destroying my eardrums.

My question is, is this effectively crushing my bit depth to gently caress all? I know that it is going to be reducing it at least a bit, but I guess my question is how badly?

As far as I understand it, since 7, Windows has used 32-bits internally to try and reduce this effect, so maybe it's not so bad, but I'd like to know.

And I guess my second question would be - if this is dramatically reducing my sound quality, then is there anything else I can do about it? Or does anyone know of a little external soundcard/DAC with its own analogue volume control that doesn't cost the earth?

e: http://blog.szynalski.com/2009/11/17/an-audiophiles-look-at-the-audio-stack-in-windows-vista-and-7/ - this claims "no loss of resolution when you lower the volume of a stream". Can that be true?

chippy fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Aug 15, 2014

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum
I use a USB DAC myself.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B003N0XDT4?pc_redir=1407906871&robot_redir=1

On the subject of volume levels, is there a way to get line level volume out of usb for a DAC? I was able to do it for my receiver via hdmi, but it was a convoluted installation of extra software and settings for media player classic that only works at the bitstream level for DTS and Dolby.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Aeka 2.0 posted:

On the subject of volume levels, is there a way to get line level volume out of usb for a DAC?

What are you really looking for here? Analog output level is a function of the DAC itself.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
Yeah, surely the term 'line level' is only really relevant to an analogue signal?

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Oh, good, it's actual gibberish rather than me having a stroke.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
The loss in bit depth from a digital volume control is marginal and it's better to use than an analog knob. Don't listen to audiophile morons.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

BANME.sh posted:

The loss in bit depth from a digital volume control is marginal and it's better to use than an analog knob. Don't listen to audiophile morons.

Even if I'm reducing to less than 5% of full volume? Can you explain why it's better than an analogue knob? I'm not doubting you, I just like to know the science/maths behind such things.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

chippy posted:

Even if I'm reducing to less than 5% of full volume? Can you explain why it's better than an analogue knob? I'm not doubting you, I just like to know the science/maths behind such things.

The loss of dynamic range will be smaller than the overall volume over the noise floor, rendering it irrelevant.

As long as you don't re-amplify the signal after attenuating it, it'll be fine. That goes for analog volume controls as well.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Aug 15, 2014

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

chippy posted:

There was a clear example of what reducing the volume to 10% would do on the page you linked yourself.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

Flipperwaldt posted:

There was a clear example of what reducing the volume to 10% would do on the page you linked yourself.

Fair point, but that is reducing to 10% with a 24-bit output stream. It seems like the SB Play only has a 16-bit output stream (viewing Device Properties, 'Advanced' tab), and I'm reducing to typically around 3% or 4%. So would that make a difference? Or does the reduction still happen using Windows' 32-bit internal stream?

chippy fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Aug 15, 2014

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

chippy posted:

Fair point, but that is reducing to 10% with a 24-bit output stream. It seems like the SB Play only has a 16-bit output stream (viewing Device Properties, 'Advanced' tab), and I'm reducing to typically around 3% or 4%. So would that make a difference? Or does the reduction still happen using Windows' 32-bit internal stream?

Anything about 16 bit/44 kHz is superfluous unless you want to do studio work on the audio tracks, since 16 bit already more than covers everything the human ear can hear, so it shouldn't make a difference.

Decius fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Aug 15, 2014

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

chippy posted:

Same goddamn article posted:

So Windows Vista and Windows 7 upconvert all your samples to 32-bit floats and mix them with 32-bit precision into an output stream that, by default, has the highest bit depth that your hardware can handle. The output bit depth is customizable; you can change it in the properties of your audio device. If you change it e.g. to 16 bits, the audio engine will still use 32-bit floats for internal processing — it will just downconvert the resulting stream to 16 bits before sending it to your device.
The whole point is that Windows' internal mixing being 32 bit float makes that what goes to your soundcard is always accurate within a couple of ten thousandths of what the card can handle anyway. Even with the volume at 5%.

e. Fair enough if you want a useable volume control though.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
Ok cool, thanks everyone.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need
I'm looking at Bluetooth receivers, mainly for my cheapo Logitech PC speakers to play audio off my tablet (Galaxy Tab 3 7.0). Trying to be as cheap a sumbitch as possible. (If cheap enough, I may pick up another couple of 'em for work and other use.) There's a ton of these ultracheap USB-powered jobs on Amazon, but gently caress-all reviews. I can live with the USB power, don't need battery capability, but does anyone have any experience with these?

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

I just procured some nice floorstanding speakers. I have an Onkyo TX-SR507 receiver. My speakers have 2 pairs of inputs. How can I wire this badboy? According to the onkyo manual my model doesn't support bi amping, so how can I bi-wire these?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Don't bother, it doesn't do anything.

Just leave the brackets on and wire them normally to one set of terminals.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

So how can I hook these up? Just run one set of cables to the speakers and get a metal bridge thing?

They didn't come with brackets.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

If the brackets aren't there, just run the positive wire to both positive terminals and the negative wire to both negative terminals.

Or use a couple of short pieces of wire in place of the brackets.

sofokles
Feb 7, 2004

Fuck this
I just want to sit on my lazy rear end and remote control my PC spotify from my iPhone spotify . That's all I want. And a cold beer.

Spotify connect baffles me , it's supposed to let you do that but all I get I synching and who the hell needs that.

Please offer guidance, I am in dire need to scare the kids with some technical death metal

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

sofokles posted:

I just want to sit on my lazy rear end and remote control my PC spotify from my iPhone spotify . That's all I want. And a cold beer.

Spotify connect baffles me , it's supposed to let you do that but all I get I synching and who the hell needs that.

Please offer guidance, I am in dire need to scare the kids with some technical death metal

Spotify Connect hasn't been rolled out to the PC version, yet. There may be 3rd party apps to get around this.

As a side note, I was able to use Spotify Connect to control my iPhone's Spotify from my Android phone, which is... less than useful. I guess I can use it at parties by plugging one phone into the speaker system and controlling it with the other phone, or something.

sofokles
Feb 7, 2004

Fuck this

KillHour posted:

Spotify Connect hasn't been rolled out to the PC version, yet. There may be 3rd party apps to get around this.

As a side note, I was able to use Spotify Connect to control my iPhone's Spotify from my Android phone, which is... less than useful. I guess I can use it at parties by plugging one phone into the speaker system and controlling it with the other phone, or something.

Thanks that could be remotely useful

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

sofokles posted:

Thanks that could be remotely useful

If you want to listen to music from your couch and don't want to spring for a receiver with Spotify Connect built in, you could always get a set-top Android box and put the Spotify app on it. You may also be able to sideload Spotify on a Fire TV (I don't have one, or I'd try it out).

Edit:

If you wanted to either be extremely cheap or :spergin:, you could also put Android on a Raspberry Pi (don't actually do this).

KillHour fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Sep 2, 2014

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Are there any wireless rear speaker kits/adapters/etc that work fairly well? I don't really care about full range ability, because I want two tiny speakers to sit on a table behind my sofa that can give me some surround effects.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

ShaneB posted:

Are there any wireless rear speaker kits/adapters/etc that work fairly well? I don't really care about full range ability, because I want two tiny speakers to sit on a table behind my sofa that can give me some surround effects.

If they don't need to go very loud, something like this might work.

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=109&cp_id=10110&cs_id=1011011&p_id=10601&seq=1&format=2

If you have a lot of wireless interference in the area, you might want to go with something on the 5GHz band instead of 2.4.

sofokles
Feb 7, 2004

Fuck this

KillHour posted:

Edit:

If you wanted to either be extremely cheap or :spergin:, you could also put Android on a Raspberry Pi (don't actually do this).

Ey I've got a pi somewhere, could be fun to try. Thanks for the help. Think it's time to get some sort of receiver though, or go the Bluetooth route.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
I'm looking for a portable radio/boombox type thing to get my dad for tailgating.

The "must haves" are pretty simple:

1. Water resistant enough to handle moderate rain and/or spilled beer.
2. Can run for a good part of a day on batteries.
3. AM/FM tuner with a telescoping antenna.
4. Some way to connect to a phone, preferably Bluetooth but a good old 1/8" aux input is fine too.

I can find dozens of Bluetooth-only units and a few with FM-only tuners, but adding AM to the equation seems to knock it down to only models that haven't been produced for years. I don't get it, there are still plenty out there with cassette players that practically no one will use but AM radio which is still huge for sports is apparently unimportant.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
The first hit under boom box on amazon was a sony that does everything you're looking for. It's the CFDS50. Aux input not Bluetooth.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

BigFactory posted:

The first hit under boom box on amazon was a sony that does everything you're looking for. It's the CFDS50. Aux input not Bluetooth.

Not water resistant in any way as far as I can tell. That one is the "plan B" if I can't find anything better because it's cheap enough that if it gets killed it's not too bad to replace.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
All of my local AM sports stations are simulcast on FM now. AM is quickly becoming less important for a lot of people.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

eddiewalker posted:

All of my local AM sports stations are simulcast on FM now. AM is quickly becoming less important for a lot of people.

Or just use smart phone + tuneIn app.

I'd wager anything billed as water resistant is the exact same thing painted yellow for more money, too.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

eddiewalker posted:

That was my thought initially as well, I know I'm annoyed that my favorite local rock station gets taken over whenever the local teams are playing, but I'm told my dad's favorite station to listen to the game is on the AM band so that's a hard requirement here.

BigFactory posted:

Or just use smart phone + tuneIn app.

Government issued phone, plus it's a crappy old Blackberry, so app selection is limited to begin with and the device is locked down beyond that unfortunately.

After discussing it with my brother who lives in the area and tailgates with him regularly I'm looking at "jobsite" radios that run on power tool batteries, just waiting on finding out what if any modern power tool batteries he already has, and if nothing works there I'm thinking I'll drop the Aux input and go with this one that's from a no-name brand but has a lot of good reviews: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0033WSDY2/

Peteyfoot
Nov 24, 2007
I have a pair of computer speakers that I use to listen to streaming radio via my smartphone at work. I'd like to have a radio to plug into the speakers for when I'm running low on my data plan. This Sony radio is probably the absolute best thing available bar a big desktop radio tuner: is there another quality portable tuner that's highly recommended and less expensive?

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Apologies in advance if this isn't the right thread for this question.

Are there any cigarette lighter FM transmitters that aren't complete crap? Thus far all my searching has yielded off-brands with 50/50 good/bad reviews, some who've used the product for years with no problem, some who had the things break the first day the plugged it in. If the $10 ones are just as eh as the $50, I'd rather not waste the extra money.

Going on a long car trip soon, and the CD player in my car broke, and I don't have the time to get it fixed nor to have a proper audio-in jack installed. Would much rather listen to Spotify than myself whistling the entire time.

Thanks!

meatpath
Feb 13, 2003

Does a portable audio player exist that:

A) Supports 128 GB microSD
B) Designed to play FLAC files efficiently (i.e. not a device that 'can' play FLAC files but loses 50% of its battery life while doing so)
C) Has an easily replaceable battery

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

68k posted:

Does a portable audio player exist that:

A) Supports 128 GB microSD
B) Designed to play FLAC files efficiently (i.e. not a device that 'can' play FLAC files but loses 50% of its battery life while doing so)
C) Has an easily replaceable battery

Headfi likes the Fiio X3 and it seems to fit most of your criteria. Quick swap batteries are pretty much gone in favor of cramming as much liion capacity as possible in a small form.