Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver
Anyone noticed that bike jackets tend to be a little on the short side? I'm 6'1" and it's not like I have an especially long torso. Is there a brand that does jackets that actually cover your lower back?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver
Anyone know of brands that make decent waterproof motorcycle bags/backpacks that don't look tacky/plastic/90s technicolor dreamboat/flimsy?

Preferably with straps and toggles and so on.

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver

Was about to recommend these as they're incredibly comfortable and nicely waterproof, but I recently discovered that the area around my achilles tendon is almost completely worn through to the outside shell on both boots after <6 months of admittedly daily riding.

Tuzo SK9t

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver

Use this for commuting and hiking, it's excellent. Toggles for strapping things in, it's waterproof, incredibly comfortable, and has two clips at above-nipple and bellybutton height for keeping the weight distributed. Has an easy access zipper at the top, and can take bladders in case drinking out of a dirty hose is your thing. Its also just about smaller than my back, so it doesn't stick out over the shoulders.

Oh, and it's designed for caryring skis; it actually has a metal ring that pops out at the bottom and similar at the top (in case you want to lug 20kgs of sharp apline stick with you), and it's double or triple stitched everywhere so it doesn't split even heavily loaded.

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver

HotCanadianChick posted:

The problem with this and everything that's not motorcycle specific like a Kriega is that they are impossible to get the pack on and off when wearing a motorcycle jacket with armour in the shoulders.

Of course if you're squiddly-diddly-doing it up and not wearing armour, then a quality backpack is the least of your problems.

I actually have in-built armour, and dont have that problem. The straps are wide and pretty smooth and rigid, they don't tend to get hooked.

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver
My advice from commuting at 6am through a horrendous British winter is just buy cheap oversized rain jackets and trousers from Amazon and rubber banding around boots/sleeves over your riding leathers. Bone dry in the foulest weather.

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver
I invested in some Rok Straps from a recommendation here a few months ago to secure another good purchase, a Lomo 40l duffel, to my xr650r's rather Spartan luggage rack.

Both are great. The straps are laughably easy to use and don't have me reaching behind my back to check the luggage is still there when doing -legal speeds- on highways, like my old cargo net did.
The duffel is the best bike bag I have ever owned. Completely waterproof, a fetching matte black, and of a design that is easy access and adjustable in size depending on how much you roll down opening.

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver
Does anyone have a recommended handlebar mount for phone/GPS?
Have had a couple but they ended being plastic crap that barely lasted. Bonus points for being able to survive xr650r wind/shakeageddon.

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver

Jazzzzz posted:

RAM makes several models - https://www.rammount.com/device/phone-mounts - I have an X Grip on one bike and a Quick Grip on the other and they both work fine. The Quick Grip locks the phone into the mount where the X Grip just holds onto it, but I didn't have any issues in 8+ hours of slabbing with the X Grip

Supradog posted:

Seconding ram mounts and Chinese knock offs of the same design. The claw or the bar clamp design works good, the ball / extension system is versatile and the xgrip works.

Thanks, one heading my way now.

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01B6L4C00/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A2VS4NLQ29SZMD&psc=1

This seems absurd, especially because it's well reviewed. Or am I just conditioned to thinking bike accessories always cost a fortune?

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver
When it you put it like that, it doesn't sound like a viable thing to strap to the bag of my XR and drive through the Morocco desert. Maybe I'll stick to soft luggage.

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver

Jack B Nimble posted:

It's getting cooler but I dont want to give up my beautiful perforated leather jacket, can anyone recommend some sort of lightweight layer I can wear under it? As far as I know the jacket can't mount a liner but I'll double check that.

Not sure if they are big in America but down jackets are the goto midlayer here, from biking to hiking, skiing and just being comfortable outdoors in general.

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver

Casual Encountess posted:

https://www.uniqlo.com/us/en/product/men-ultra-light-down-seamless-parka-409325.html

i can’t recommend these enough. they pack down to tallboy size (or smaller) and they’re warm af and i can be comfortable wearing that and a hoodie in deep new england winter. i basically toss it in my bag every time i go out once it’s cold.

the jacket version doesn’t have a hood but the hood owns

I bought exactly one of those last week, they are great. Uniqlo do the best fitting ones.

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver
Under armour type compression boxers for sport use are great if you're going to be in the seat for a while. Plus they make your rear end look great.

I have these they own. I've worn them to weddings and nobody knew I was a pervert.

The back started to go after 6 months but I glued some leather patches in so my heel slides up and down just fine now.

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver

builds character posted:

We can finally post about how much better the CRF450L is than the FE450!

I've seen very little market feedback about the 450l yet. Is it slightly too expensive?
It looks great (on paper)

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver
I mean my xr650r supposedly also has 600 mile intervals but anecdotally I've heard them last 100k+m with an oil change every 10k so

(please don't mistreat your bikes this way)

Shelvocke fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Nov 1, 2019

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver
My alpinestars gloves shrunk a bit too, come to think of it. So .. maybe?

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver
I nearly bought one of those Armstrongs about four years ago when somebody stole my NTV.

The kickstart is on the wrong side which put me completely off

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver
Anyone have a portable battery air compressor they'd recommend?

Looking for something I can sling in my pack when dual sporting to change tyre pressure from roads to trails and back again.

I realise a hand pump is probably the right answer here.

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver
Nice to both. I'm in the process of adding a battery and new harness so wiring charger for one of those will be no hardship.

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver
That spark pump ad reminded me; today a guy at college asked about engines with piston springs. The progressive, deepening, silent frown on the face of our tutor was a sight to behold, like a glacier pushing a boulder down towards an unsuspecting Alpine village.

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver
I have a GT Air 2 for everyday and a VFX W for off-road/adv and frankly I wouldn't even consider not wearing a Shoei from now on

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver

Have you tried using a thin merino tube scarf? Very good in all weather, and if you wear it in such a way that the top opening is a ring from the top-back of your head to under your nose or chin, it keeps jewellery or headphones in no problem, and has the added benefit of plugging the opening of the helmet, which significantly reduces wind noise. So significantly that I actually don't like riding without one now.

e. It also acts as a seal between helmet and jacket and stops your collar from rubbing when jacket is done up fully

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver
Fun fact: my soon to be ex-neighbour talks incredibly loudly on the phone at all hours, to the point where I recorded her peaking at >85 dB through a fence. It's probably not accurate but I wouldn't want to be inside a helmet with that.

Sportsbikeshop and Infinity both have very good customer service, the former lets you return helmets for free in the post if you like, no questions asked.

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver
Not for bikes, but I used the supplied 3m tape to mount a gopro knock-off on my ski helmet this winter. The first time it fell off after about 2 days into deep powder and the second time after a day outside la folie douce into being lost forever. If you have one of those little wires and can anchor it to something additional I recommend that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I've a minor plumbing emergency today

shitposting again