Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonkeyHate
Oct 11, 2002

Dance, monkey, dance!
Taco Defender
Just picked up a set of warm-n-safe heated glove liners. About five minutes into my first ride with them, blue sparks started shooting out of the left glove near the base of my thumb. Was able to remove it almost immediately, but it still burned the poo poo out of my hand. Also burned away a spot of the (cotton?) lining of my regular leather riding gloves.

I'm going to go ahead and not recommend this company's products. These guys also manufacture First Gear branded heated gear btw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonkeyHate
Oct 11, 2002

Dance, monkey, dance!
Taco Defender
Kriega backpack question: I've tried a couple of my old school backpacks before and the problem is in my thick armored jacket I don't have enough range of motion to put them on. I end up awkwardly removing the whole jacket to fill up the backpack, and then struggling to pre-hang the backpack on the arms of the jacket while donning the whole works together. Combine this with trying to juggle keys, wallet, gloves and helmet and you can see why I'm not popular at the grocery store checkout line.

Is there something about the Kriega backpacks that might make them easier to take off and put on while being swaddled in armor?

Currently I'm using a Chrome messenger bag which is uncomfortable, and of which I have come to really hate the design. The only reason I haven't dumped it on craigslist is because I can at least take it off and put it on without causing a traffic jam.

Edit: opening the question up wider -- if not a Kriega, does anyone have any other suggestions?

MonkeyHate fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Jun 23, 2012

MonkeyHate
Oct 11, 2002

Dance, monkey, dance!
Taco Defender

JP Money posted:

What's stopping you from just loosening the straps so they're bigger and then retightening later? Are you wearing a suit of armor on the bike?

I did try that but I can't shrug the straps up onto my shoulders with any regularity. If there is any weight or bulk in the pack, the straps get caught up in the crooks of my elbows and effectively tie my hands behind my back until I jump up and down and shake the bag loose. This embarrassing and awkward little dance is sure to be archived in at least one store security guard's "Stupid Customer Videos" collection.

Snowdens Secret posted:

... the circumference? of the arm openings themselves are a lot bigger than a regular backpack ...

Z3n posted:

... All of the usual problems with backpacks disappear when you buy a Kriega...

Ok I'm sold. Putting an order in for an R35 Monday. Thank you everyone!

MonkeyHate
Oct 11, 2002

Dance, monkey, dance!
Taco Defender
For winter riding, I've been relying on a pair of warm-n-safe glove liners under some insulated waterproof gauntlets. They were ok, but really never felt warm enough. Finally, one of them died and I decided pick up a Gerbing T5 hybrid gloves. I don't know why, but I'd always figured the glove liners would be the warmest option, as they're held tighter against the skin so the T5s were a bit of a gamble for me.

Holy crap. Difference is night and day. My hands were borderline too warm today and I had to turn the heat down on gloves for the first time ever. Plus no more juggling two pair of gloves. According to my ammeter they're somehow also drawing slightly less power from the bike. Love love love these gloves.

So now the only piece of gear I'm not 100% happy with is my neck protection. Have tried a few different balaclavas and gaiters but so far I haven't found the right combo of waterproof and fit. I seem to have to choose between air getting under the bottom edge (tail too short), it leaving my chin too exposed (top too low) or it soaking up water and getting my shirt front/collar wet. Also, I wear earbuds so that means I can't wear the full hooded kind. Any suggestions?

MonkeyHate
Oct 11, 2002

Dance, monkey, dance!
Taco Defender

M. Night Skymall posted:

I like the Cyclone Buff a lot. It's Windstopper fabric which is water resistant enough for just being the thing that goes around your neck. Also lets you pull it up into a mask/balaclava type thing if you want while still having the Windstopper fabric around your neck without any gaps.

I'm afraid that looks like it's in the "tail too short" category that leaves a little triangle between my collarbones exposed and also funnels water down the top of my jacket. I need something that would fit over the collar of my jacket to keep the water outside my rain gear. Like a long neck gaiter or dickie except people only seem to make those in fleece.

Am starting to suspect that I'll need to make my own.

MonkeyHate
Oct 11, 2002

Dance, monkey, dance!
Taco Defender

builds character posted:

How old were the glove liners? I have a pair of warm n safe gloves that are great but I know a while ago they switched the way they made the heating wires and the new ones are better.
Manufacture date is Feb 2012. When did they change over?

quote:

I wonder what's different about your gear or position that the cyclone buff doesn't work for you as it works fine for me too.

Here are my best guesses: I ride a supermoto and a bobber so either way I'm fully upright with no windscreen. I'm tall and have a proportionally long neck to match. Also not helping is that this time of year, I have a waterproof liner in my jacket, and then a heated liner inside the waterproof liner and that makes the collar thick enough that other neck warmers I've tried that were that shape really wanted to ride up and sit above the jacket collar. Finally I ride every day in Seattle and need to keep my shirt dry for work so maybe I'm just being more precious about preventing water intrusion than most people?

Oh hey I see warm n safe has a waterproof heated jacket now. Two layers would be a lot easier to deal with than three. Anyone try it out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonkeyHate
Oct 11, 2002

Dance, monkey, dance!
Taco Defender

Supradog posted:

Klim does not have anything that suits you? Both the Glacier and Rogue variants are over the collar variants.

Sweet! The Rogue looks like it might be exactly what I'm looking for. I tried a few Klim ones at a local store (the Arctic and the Klim(?) balaclavas I think) but they weren't going to work with my earbuds. Thank you thank you!

Renaissance Robot posted:

I need pictures! Pictures of monkeyhate! :spidey:

Only registered members can see post attachments!