Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

It looks like I picked a good time to ask for some boot advice. I see the A* and Sidi boots getting a lot of praise in the last fifty pages, but maybe someone can address my plans a little more specifically.

I'll be touring for about a month this summer and boots are a must-have. I did a similar trip last summer in hiking boots and I'm not taking that risk again. The nice thing about my hiking boots is that I didn't have to bring another pair of shoes -- they were great for walking around our campsites and such. I don't need to sacrifice protection for looks, however, as these will be dedicated riding boots. I just want some boots that will be fine for doing a little walking in, but will provide full ankle protection etc.

Before this page I was pretty set on the Sidis and A*s (that looks like I'm trying to write rear end politely) but what about these Vegas? Or some other brand I should be looking at.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

I got my first pair of boots today. I've been agonizing over what brand to get after reading all the advice in this thread. I kept meaning to go try a bunch on and then order a pair online, but I never got around to it. Then I waited too long to order online, because I'm leaving for a trip on Wednesday and there's no way they'd get here in time. So finally I just sucked it up and went over to Coleman Powersports In Falls Church, VA. TTFA suggested I try the Motorcycle Factory down in Woodbridge, but when I called they didn't have a great selection in stock (Thanks for the good advice all the same).

Coleman was a pleasant surprise. The staff were friendly and helpful if not super attentive. The guy gave me some sizing advice and let me try on whatever I wanted. I came away with a pair of Sidi Fusions for $200, incredibly the same price as NewEnough. I really thought I was going to get rolled buying gear at a physical store.

So enough talk, I thought I'd throw them on for a quick break-in ride. Here I am geared up and ready to go:

Wait, something's missing isn't it?

Aha! Now we're ready!

SQUIDTASTIC!!!!

The (motor)bike was around the corner and I couldn't be bothered to walk all the way over there to do the real thing. I'm off this week for a monthlong trip to (and around) Nova Scotia, so I'll come back with a review. By then I should know plenty about their comfortability and durability -- though hopefully not about their crash-worthiness (knock on wood). I'm just glad to finally be riding in boots, I've really been negligent thus far.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Commodore 64 posted:

^^^^^^^
Nice Fusions; how are they? I've heard good things about Sidi and they look like good all around boots, but nobody by me has any.

Also I'm looking at either an Icon Merc or a Teknic Rage. The Icon is cheaper, but the Teknic is supposed to be waterproof.

Any thoughts?

So far I think they're great, but I've only worn them around the house. I'll give an update after my trip. I will say that they fit very loosely around my calf because I wear synthetic overpants. I think they'd be better with leathers. The closure is zipper and velcro, and a buckle would have been nice but Sidi doesn't put those on until you get into the higher priced boots. The soles are almost totally flat too, so hopefully I won't do too much sliding around on wet grass at campsites. But other than those things they seem very solid, have protection everywhere I could ask, and are very comfortable for sitting on the couch.

Don't know anything about jackets though, sorry.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

I posted about a month ago to say I'd bought a pair of Sidi Fusions and was very happy with them. 30 days and 4400 miles later I'm back to report on them as promised (I'll post a full trip report separately).

Overall they did what I needed them to do. I wore them eight to ten hours a day in perfect comfort -- at least as long as I was on the bike. I intentionally bought them a little small because I was between the Euro sizes, and my pinky toes definitely rubbed uncomfortably when I had to walk around for any length of time. Fortunately that wasn't often and I only got little hotspots, not full-blown blisters, but I wouldn't want to wear these to work. The upper parts loosened up a bit so I was able to Velcro them more tightly around my shins, which was a concern I had initially. I didn't go down so I can't say anything about crash-worthiness, but they certainly made me feel safer.

They did fail in the durability department, and I emailed Sidi customer service to say as much. No response yet. The leather (or fake leather, not sure) on both boots started to crack where my toes flex. The cracks are deeper than they look here, when I bend them they go almost through the material.

There's also a tear on the inside left ankle right at the ankle bone, and I can't think what incident might have caused that. Just on the footpeg, maybe?

I'm not impressed with how these held up. I'm not sure whether to keep them, ask for a replacement, or ask for a refund.

Oh, and they're definitely NOT waterproof, but I knew that going in. Spent a couple of days riding around with puddles in my boots and several more with damp ones as they dried out.

Also disappointingly the two snaps on my Olympia Airglide overpants failed (:btroll:), one on the first day of the trip and the other on the last. Both tore the snapping part from it's housing in the pants flap, something I haven't ever seen a snap do. I guess I was just ripping my pants off too aggressively for all those ladies we met.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Z3n posted:

I think we can all have a collective :ughh: on my behalf for how poorly I handled that one.

I have to wonder why Sidi quality seems to be plummeting lately...it's very odd.

Is my experience part of a larger trend? I didn't realize. And ironically, I based my purchase largely on your endorsement of them.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

CheeseSpawn posted:

I hope to god you dont mean Coleman Powersport in VA. They are the loving devil. I would never get gear from them again. Retarded polices.

Well that blows. I had a really good experience buying my boots there, but that's the only time I've been. I guess checking out twice is kind of a hassle but they were friendly and helpful. What should I be ready for if I try to return these?

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

ought ten posted:

They did fail in the durability department, and I emailed Sidi customer service to say as much. No response yet. The leather (or fake leather, not sure) on both boots started to crack where my toes flex. The cracks are deeper than they look here, when I bend them they go almost through the material.

There's also a tear on the inside left ankle right at the ankle bone, and I can't think what incident might have caused that. Just on the footpeg, maybe?

I'm not impressed with how these held up. I'm not sure whether to keep them, ask for a replacement, or ask for a refund.

Oh, and they're definitely NOT waterproof, but I knew that going in. Spent a couple of days riding around with puddles in my boots and several more with damp ones as they dried out.

Quoting myself from a month back to keep everyone abreast of the situation. I know you all have been on the edges of your seats, sorry for keeping you in suspense.

So I emailed Sidi like I said and didn't hear back for a while. Then I got an email from motonation.com saying Sidi Italy had forwarded my email to them and they would handle the complaint. The guy handling my case said he'd need me to send the boots to him in Cali so he could check them out. This was early August but he said he was going on vacation and I'd have to wait until after the 23rd or so.

I kind of forgot about it for a bit (it's been so hot in DC I've barely been riding) and then got caught up in some work and such these past couple of weeks so I still hadn't sent them to him.

Today he calls and asks what's up, am I sending the boots or what? I tell him yeah, I've just been busy, they'll be in the mail soon. He says sure, no rush, what I'm going to do is send you a replacement pair or you can upgrade to the Vertigos free of charge if you'd like.

That sounds like a pretty good deal to me. I hope I don't keep having the same quality problems, but for now I'm getting a nicer pair of boots than I had and I feel like I was taken care of well, albeit a touch slowly. I'm putting Sidi back in the "okay by me" column.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

SlightlyMadman posted:

That's good news, your post made me a bit nervous as I'd bought almost the exact same pair just recently. I've been wearing mine for a couple months now though, and they're still holding up like brand new. Sounds like you might have genuinely gotten something from a bad batch.

I'm glad to hear your's are in good shape, that makes me feel better about going with the new Sidis instead of pressing for a refund. I just wish he'd offered me some Vertigo Corses so I could have asked for Stormtrooper White.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Christoff posted:

Everyone talking about cold weather gloves $40

http://www.jakewilson.com/productDe...olorAttr=Select

Ordered, thanks for the heads up. My hands are freezing.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Christoff posted:

Yeah, maybe I'll stop complaining about cold late night rides and buy some myself.

and grip heaters

Oh I don't even ride my heat's just broken and my hands are cold. Three day shipping!

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

ought ten posted:

Oh I don't even ride my heat's just broken and my hands are cold. Three day shipping!

The Firstgear Navigators came in yesterday. Christoff, thanks for the heads up.

I can only give first impressions, but so far they seem great. Everything seems high quality, they have a nice breathable liner, and the gauntlet and tightening mechanisms are well done. Only problem is they're pretty thick so I might have to cut the fingers out to use my touchpad. At least I'm not cold anymore (but my sunglasses are a bit crooked).

Around the house dexterity is pretty good. They're thicker than what I wear now but it doesn't seem like I'll lose too much sensitivity on the controls.

I got them in Large, that was the only thing left. I usually wear a Medium but they seem to run a little small from sizing charts and the fit is good. I also picked up a pair of Tourmaster silk liners in Medium which are really nice as well and don't take away any sensitivity that I can tell. Christmas ride to Pittsburgh here I come.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

^^^^^^
Only way to rock, brah.

Christoff posted:

Wow, they're only $20 now. No more mediums, though.

What size did you get? What size do you guys normally wear? True to size, etc? I suppose I could get a large pair and then wear my under armor type material under gloves for really cold rides That'd fill them in...

Only $20?!? Son of a loving bitch.

No mediums when I ordered either. I got large, usually wear medium, they seem to size a little small and they fit well.

ought ten fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Dec 11, 2010

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Any opinions on Firstgear's Mesh Tex jackets? I just rode out to the store for a minute in my regular jacket and came back drenched. A DC summer demands a more breathable jacket.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Not sure, I haven't tried any on. How's it fit? I'm 5'9" 160 lbs and generally go for medium. What don't you like about the style?

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

SlightlyMadman posted:

Just a little too modern. When I bought it I was riding a GS500, but I've got a Bonneville now and prefer something with a more traditional style. It fits me really well, but I'm 6'1" and 185lbs so a medium probably would suit you better, but you're welcome to try it on if you're even in Baltimore and want to visit a creepy internet guy to try his clothes on. I'd still recommend it though if you like the style at all.

The styling philosophy behind the Concours was apparently "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" so I'd need something distinctly '80s to match the style of my '06. But that's not really a concern. If I can find a good deal on a medium I'll probably snag it, otherwise I'll let you know if I'm in B'more anytime soon. Thanks for the good advice.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

-Inu- posted:

^ Givi makes top notch product.

I'm in Xovaan's position too, looking for a good locking topcase for my DRZ. I know Givi's are great, but they're also crazy expensive. Are there cheaper options that do a good job? Also, anyone know of and easily removed hard case that pops on and off?

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Hog Obituary posted:

Coocase is another option I've been looking into. Twisted Throttle sells them. I can't find much negative about them and they do seem a bit cheaper than Givi.

There's also this JC Whitney option:
http://www.jcwhitney.com/motorcycle-travel-trunks/p2010969.jcwx

Thanks, those Coocoses look pretty good.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Xovaan posted:

That said, MotoMind, Z3n, Mr. Brammo (who doesn't have an account here), and I all have Aerostich suits and absolutely love them. If you have a place to store them after a commute, they're probably the best purchase you can make. Mine is ten years old and still looks new with daily use, the Goretex works wonderfully, and the pockets are actually useful. My only gripe is that it's meant to be upright on so if you have a sport-touring or sportbike you'll likely need to get a 2" ellipses installed at the lower back to accommodate for this (not that big of a deal though).

Remind me what you ride? I've been thinking about getting a stitch for this season but I hadn't heard about having an extra panel installed. Did they do that or did you have to have a tailor do it?

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

devians posted:

That's something thats bugged me for a while now. In Australia, all helmets are double d ring, required by our helmet laws. (which suck for importing but are better for my head I suppose, so yay?)

Is this not the case in America? In which case, whats the standard fastener?

(Also dude, second hand helmets are a bad idea unless you just happen to have an xray of it. It's your head, dont risk it.)

I've never seen anything else. I haven't bought or tried on very high-end helmets, but I didn't even realize there were other options. It's really not a very onerous system.

edit: speeling

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

I've been looking at finally getting a textile one-piece, and I've seen here positive reviews of both Aerostitch and the Olypmia phantom. Looks like the Phantom has been discontinued, though. Are there any other quality options I should consider before I bite the bullet and drain my bank account?

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Linedance posted:

Seems a lot of people here assume a textile suit has to be one-piece (not saying that's you). Any particular reason you aren't looking at jacket and pants? I've had a textile pants and jacket combo for years and it's been great.

I've been wearing a variety of jacket and pants combos since I started riding (or at least since I got smart enough to wear riding pants), but there are a couple reasons I want to buy a one-piece, aside from simple curiosity. The first is safety; even though my pants and jackets zip to each other at the waist, I'm not convinced they'd give me the best protection in a crash at highway speed. The second is comfort; I still get a little airflow on my sides and back on the ends of the riding season. I suppose I could solve the second and maybe the first also by getting a jacket with a skirt. But at that point I'm probably looking to spend one-piece money anyway.

The real reason of course is that I want people to think there's a GS in the parking lot when I stroll into Starbucks.

Snowdens Secret posted:

If you're looking at that sort of stuff, check out the Teiz options as well.

I do remember reading their name here a few times. Any thoughts on pros and cons compared to Aerostitch and Olympia? Looks like they're Olympia priced. Thoughts about the different models?

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Thanks for all the advice. I really like the look of those Teiz suits, but I ended up finding an Olympia Phantom on Motorcycle Closeouts for $300 so I went with that after trying one on in a local shop this morning. If anyone else is looking, they're here: http://www.motorcyclecloseouts.com/sport/motorcycle+rain+gear/olympia_phantom+one+piece+suit

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

HAMAS HATE BOAT posted:

I live in Seattle and will be commuting by bike full time soon. Is there any grown-up reason to not just go ahead and get an aerostich? I have a jacket/overpants combo from Firstgear but it takes a while to put on and take off and is damaged but serviceable from a wreck a few months ago. Right now, I normally take off the pants and roll them up and toss them in a backpack and wear the jacket. Stuffing it under the seat like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKP8kVMd7x8

or just putting the whole suit in a pack when not at work or home would probably be a lot more convenient.

Based on reviews and convenience and features and everything i've just about talked myself into it as the only thing that makes sense, it's just that I'll miss out on buying all the awesome looking stuff I browse on Revzilla and look like an old man. Which i almost am but not really. I also cant see much competition for them.

Some of the color combos arent too bad...http://www.aerostich.com/rc-colors

If you don't want to spend a G on a Stitch, check out Teiz or do what I did a couple months ago and buy the discontinued Olympia Phantom: http://www.motorcyclecloseouts.com/sport/motorcycle+rain+gear/olympia_phantom+one+piece+suit

Can't say enough good things about my Phantom, and that's the best deal I think you're going to find for a one peice. Sizes and colors are a little limited by now unfortunately.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

e: ^^ goddamnit

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

I've worn my airglides for about 6 years and they're great pants. With the liners they go for three seasons and even a little more. Only bad thing I'll say is the snaps at the waist broke a while back, first one, then the other. I've heard others have had the same problem. I just wear a belt now, but I'm sure getting them replaced would be trivial.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Kilersquirrel posted:

MotorcycleGear.com has the Scorpion EXO-750s for $59-$79 and EXO-700s for $49-$59 (and in normal-person sizes) right now.

http://www.motorcyclegear.com/street/closeouts/last_chance_bargains/scorpion/exo750_solid_motorcycle_helmet.html

Thanks for the heads up. It's been time for me to replace my exo-700 for a while now.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Safety Dance posted:

gently caress my Shoei Qwest, a $300 helmet shouldn't fog up whenever the temperature dips below 40. Additionally, gently caress the zipper on my Sidi Whateverthehell boots for coming apart (although they are about 2.5 years old, so maybe it's time to put them to pasture).

I don't know how they feel about regular wear and tear, but when my Sidi's cracked after the first rainstorm they upgraded me to the next level after just one email. Worth a try at least. I went through Sidi's website form and got a reply from Motonation.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Lat time I posted in here about Coleman someone said they'd gotten dicked around a bunch there. Can't remember who it was, maybe they'll chime in. I've had a couple good experiences, once buying boots and the other time trying on suits and helmets. Salespeople were helpful even though I made it clear I wasn't buying anything.

ought ten fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Feb 11, 2014

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Is there such a thing as textile pants that fit decently? Most overpants I've had or tried on are pretty baggy and I want something that's going to fit a little closer so I'm less worried about the armor moving in a fall. Something closer to the track leathers end of the spectrum, just in textile.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Jazzzzz posted:

Opposite of the advice I gave earlier for roomy stuff - look at European brands and stick to things that aren't specifically made to be an overpant. ADV gear also tends to fit a little looser but you may be able to size down and keep the same inseam.

I have a set of Rukka Air All summer riding pants that fit very snug (I sized down from the Rukka chart and probably didn't need to). Dainese and Rev'It have models that fit similarly.

Thanks for this. Great advice. I found a pair of Dainese pants on sale that look like they're exactly what I was looking for. Just hoping I got the fit right.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Just made an appointment to get “Gotta’ be careful, drive fast, but defensively” tattooed across my chest

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Angryboot posted:

Zippers are generally not a match from brand to brand. You can get new ones sewn in though. Not really a hard thing to do. Just about any tailoring/clothes alteration shop can handle it.

Is there a way to get half a zipper? Most pants and jackets I’ve bought come with both halves so you can take it to a tailor like you said. But the Dainese jacket I bought this spring didn’t, which is annoying. Seems like an obvious ploy to lock you into buying more of their expensive gear. But if there was zipper matching technology...

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Good point

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Nitrox posted:

Just came here to post that Schubert C4 helmets are deeply discounted across all retailers. If you want a comfortable and quiet touring helmet, this is an amazing deal.

What shape head do they fit?

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Ah too bad

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Slavvy posted:

M: yay it's out of stock and there's no colour options left

This but for every clothing/gear sale. “60% off?? Oh, only for ogres and dwarves.”

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Martytoof posted:

I was out in my perforated leathers and heavy denim kevlar pants in 35c the other day and man, mesh is really making a case for some spending in the next month or so.

Alternately, non-AGATT -- wouldn't I be cooler without all this skin keeping the heat in?

I know you’re joking, but one serious problem for burn victims (or people who rip all their skin off) is they lose the sweat glands in that area and thus their ability to regulate their body temperature. Not that you needed another reason to ATGATT

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Ryan is talking about situations where you don’t want to look like a power ranger so it’s either trousers under mesh or riding jeans.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Rolo posted:

I have some generic Cycle Gear riding jeans that fit ok, the knee armor doesn’t shift around while I’m riding, but they’re a little baggy when I’m off the bike.

Can any skinnier goons recommend a riding pant that come in a slim fit? I prefer the look of denim but it’s not a deal breaker, especially if I can trade it for something with mesh/vents.

Budget would be ~350 or less.

I asked a similar question last year and the good advice I got was to look at European brands. They all seem to be cut slimmer. I don’t know about denim, but I ended up with a pair of dainese textile pants on sale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

After safety certifications (which I think all those brands meet), fit should be the determining factor. I’ve found scorpion is in a nice range of good features and relatively inexpensive, and they fit my head so that’s what I’ve worn for my last several helmets