Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

:syoon:

They also still air American Chopper on DISCHD. The whole "Family fighting" thing gets a little old, but I still enjoy the show immensely.

Pretty much everything on discovery channel is worth watching. My tivo is filled with Mythbusters, It Takes a Thief, Deadliest Catch, Dirty Jobs, and more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

Martytoof posted:

The special where Grylls goes through the Foreign Legion training was loving awesome.

Yea, I really enjoyed that special too. It was on Military Channel, and I think they still repeat it every once in awhile.

edit: It was called Escape to the Legion, if i recall.

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

IRQ posted:

If that's the name then it isn't on for the next 2 weeks. Also, I hope you realize that "Yea" is pronounced "yay" and hasn't been acceptable since medieval times.

I hate people who type "yea" and think Bear should be allowed to carve them up and eat them for sustenance.

Yea, I'm sorry I made you sad.

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

slartibartfast posted:

Wow, nothing on the MythBusters' baseball special last night? I'd have figured there'd at least be a few posts on it.

I thought it was great. I thought it was nice to see the Build Team working with Adam & Jamie rather than just doing their own boring-rear end myths for the whole episode. Watching them take batting practice was good for a laugh, they built some really creative robots this time around, and even the obligatory guest spot was handled well.

Plus watching them get a baseball up past 450 MPH was a riot. :)

A lot of the "watching them gently caress up during building" footage was taken out for the giant Roger Clemens circle jerk, I didn't really like that. I would have liked to see Adam explain how much of a tard he was once he hit that pole with the bat or other stupid poo poo they have happen during the building process.

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

Is anyone else looking forward to Fight Quest? I know its a "Human Weapon" knock off, but still. I like both shows.

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

Jedi posted:

Saw a commercial for it tonight during Dirty Jobs. According to my FiOS guide, the first 4 parts are on 12/28 at 7PM EST (repeats at 11PM). The remaining 3 are on 1/4 at 8PM EST.

The problem is, are they the British ones or are they the ones with Sigourney Weaver?

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

Deadliest Catch is supposed to start up again on April 14, I can't wait. It's definitely one of my favorite shows.

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

Who could ever leave home without their box of...

I know I couldn't.

In all seriousness, it was a great episode, but that whole "burn barrel" thing was so lame. "This is a tradition our father's had between the captains" and they cut to it and it's just the normal group of Captains. Discovery stop trying to script your poo poo, STOP IT.

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

Oh and from what I read in regards to the other spoilers Wizard takes a huge huge wave and has to go back to port due to damages, but everything turned out ok. You can see the in the preview reels they keep rolling that GIANT rear end loving wave, so I'm assuming that's the one that takes out the Wizard.

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

hutch posted:

I think Rowe's narration is "six weeks (of TV show)..." Wiki backs me up (sorta) about it being 2-4 weeks. Opilio crab season lasts generally about a month as well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alaskan_king_crab_fishing#cite_note-deadliestcatch-4

Well, you have to figure in prep time as well. The crew has to make sure every single pot is fixed and ready to go. They also have to make sure the boat is well stocked and everything is running. That has to take at LEAST a week.

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

Well, at least next season they'll either not air After the Catch or have Mike Rowe on it. Maybe we can have a comedy option and put Adam Savage on there and they can do science questions and bust crabbing myths! YEA!!

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

snortpocket posted:

For anyone that missed it, "Pitchman: A Tribute to Billy Mays" premiered tonight, and is on again right now. It's REALLY loving sad, and this is coming from someone who knew little or nothing about Billy Mays until Pitchmen begain airing (other than he was the loudmouth with the immaculate beard, of course).

The scenes with his family and Sully crying while talking about him are really hard to watch :(

I was doing great until Sully said the line about how he had a copy of the Pitchmen show and he called Billy to watch it and Billy says, "No I want to watch it with America." Then It was like, yea, bring on the misty eyed choked up feeling.

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

Sig has always cared about his people though. Sig has a extreme work ethic and he expects everyone on his crew to be the same and if you notice Sig has an amazing safety record and always has some of the best numbers out of the fleet. On Sig's boat you work hard because just how things are done.

We found out just how much of careless assholes John + Andy are during that episode, a couple quotes during the "After the Catch" really stood out. "We don't want you on our boat if we have to tell you what to do" and "We wouldn't have told Jake at all if we had that call." Johnathan "took it back," but he said it awfully quick and seems like he already has thought about that many times.

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

There's a Storm Chasers marathon on today, but the lame part is it doesn't end in a new episode.

Does anyone know if they're gonna renew it?

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

DurosKlav posted:

Ya it was mentioned on the episode they aired monday night about the filming of this season. Wasnt the Captain of the chase boat the captain of one of the original boats in the first season? He looked really familiar.

Yes, he's also been on After the Catch multiple times and every one of the "Behind the Scenes" episodes.

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

IRQ posted:

What I don't get is that why, on a show like this, they don't test dudes for being prone to seasickness.

There's no way that Mouse guy had any experience on any sort of water and taking his rear end out onto a placid lake probably would have let them know he shouldn't have the job.

Also, remember, there's an absolutely AWFUL smell on crab boats. Dead beat, dead fish, people haven't showered in days....coupled with the ocean.

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

Teek posted:

I haven't seen the behind the scenes special yet, but I wondered if airing that back in season 1 would have helped address some of the complaints people had early on about it being "fake"? Thankfully at least it seems most of those complaints have ended since they now blatantly explain the safety regs and the crew helping out before coming back from commercials.

I've also noticed that he interacts with the crew a lot more in the last few seasons.

Also, he doesn't really do "survival" he just does "challenges" in the wilderness. It's a different style of show than season 1, definitely.

Anyone interested in that Ghost Lab show after Dirty Jobs? It's obviously a blatant rip off of Ghost Hunters (I think Pilgrim Films even produces both shows) so I'd like to see what they do with it.

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

LordOfThePants posted:

Did you check it out? I was going to try to catch a repeat but I didn't see any on until the new episode next week.

Pretty much everyone in this thread hit it in the head as far as my thoughts on the show. It definitely has potential, but like someone said you're not along for the investigation. You see bits and pieces and then they all go nuts over some piece of evidence.

Although, it's nice that they do have different ideas as to how to investigate. That whole "era cues" thing was interesting, it'd be cool to see different approaches on how to capture evidence other than wandering around a building asking "who's there?"

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

Captain Novolin posted:

I remember hearing on one of the behind the scenes episodes a while back that he was mostly concerned because he had a date that night.

I don't know why that would be a problem, it's a great story. "So what happened?" "I burned my eyebrows off making my TV SHOW."

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

Does anyone watch Stormchasers? Seems to be yet again Reed Timmer catching tornadoes and the other guy Sean on the verge of tears.

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

So, does bringing up the fact that Bear Grylls gave himself an enema with water filled with bird poo poo on national tv make Bear Grylls cooler?

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

antwizzle posted:

I loved that part! But -- where did he get the hose?!

Wow. My mind is blown, maybe he got it in the "trash" from humans that always includes just enough bottles and styrofoam to make a nice raft.

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

WhiteHowler posted:

Kari is back and Jessi is gone.

I wonder if they all high fived and screamed like idiots when Jessi was let go. I like to think they did.

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

Rest in Peace Phil. I just really really really hope that Discovery doesn't turn your death into a fuckin' spectacle (even though I know they will).

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

Karthillion posted:

I really believe that Discovery will handle Capitan Phil's death with dignity. People in television have to be really aware of what their audience will want, and they should know anything else would piss off their viewing audience.

On top of that, I bet Mike Rowe would simply refuse to participate in anything less than a sincere memorial episode no matter the consequences to his carer. He just seems like that kind of guy. Deadliest Catch without his narration would be like Deadliest Catch without the boats.

I don't know much else to say about it other than I liked the guy, even though I didn't know him. He reminded me a lot of my uncle who died a few years back, and I'm really sad that he had to go.

I think my favorite Phil moment had to be replacing the crab-trap with a wrecked truck. Hauling an old totaled pick-up out into the middle of the Bering Sea just to pull a prank...

That man had some loving dedication.

Well, their tribute to that boat that sunk (the Big Valley?) was very well done and also the way Billy May's death was handled was respectable and well done as well. So I think that this will be handled properly.

edit: So, that's Billy Mays, Phil Harris, and who's next? Adam Savage? Oh god don't be Mike Rowe :(

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

So did anyone notice the horrible cgi on the beginning of Deadliest Catch now? That boat used to be the Wizard and is now a very badly done Time Bandit.

And of course, Andy Hillstrand's sponsors! Bass Pro shops sure loves him, huh?

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

On this week's Deadliest Catch I felt they finally conveyed the absolute massive POWER of the waves that are out in the Bering Sea. The Time Bandit "surfing" like that was pretty much jaw dropping for me.

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

Yea, those last 5 minutes on Deadliest Catch was easily the best television Discovery has ever put out. I'm glad they followed it up with After the Catch, because I needed a pick-up. And it's back to being great because Mike Rowe was back and it was just a bunch of guys sitting around talking over a couple beers. Which is what it should be.

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

Emancipator posted:

Who at Discovery thought it was a good idea to air After the Catch that specifically mentions Phil dying the week before the episode in which he dies?

How are they going to explain a show about the captains talking and no Phil?

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

I don't understand why you guys don't like Keith. He captains his boat the same style as John/Andy Hillstrand except he doesn't hide it as well and Keith treats his greenhorns like poo poo. That's it.

I Brake For MILFs fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Jun 30, 2010

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

I really enjoyed seeing Freddie on After the Catch, It's a shame they didn't talk to him more instead of just making it incredibly silent and awkward (in a good way.)

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

I kept it together until I saw Keith and his setting of a full crab pot so Phil would always have some. Once I saw that, whew...I'm glad I was watching that alone.

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

RichLather posted:

Just thought I'd nip in here and ask a quick question as my searches have proved fruitless...and Dr. Mrs. Lather would be quite impressed if I could provide the answer.

Where can I find a listing of the musical artists featured in this season's (season 4) episodes of After the Catch?

Johnny Sketch and the Dirty Notes was one, but that's all I've been able to find thus far. It was a solo artist in particular that she's interested in learning more about.

I know on the first episode it was a guy named Kermit Ruffins, I can't find anything on the web about who played though.

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

ToastyPotato posted:

The episode was pretty lame.

The thing about Storm Chasers is this. Sean, the guy with the giant tank, isn't in it for science. He is a film maker trying to make a movie. He wants a shot from inside a tornado. That's why he has the TIV. For a while, he was teamed up with a scientist so that they could guide him into a twister. They strapped some scientific doodads to the TIV to get measurements that otherwise they wouldn't normally get. Basically, if you remember the movie Twister, where they drop pods off and hope the twister hits them, well that is what they tried to turn the TIV into.

Reed was a meteorology student who made a living selling videos of tornadoes. The internet being what it is, his website gained popularity thanks in part to his dramatic yelling in his videos, and he was eventually added to the Storm Chasers cast. At first, he was just there with a normal truck running around taping twisters for cash. Then he built his own bootleg TIV called The Dominator and now flings his crew at every twister he can. The Dominator has a whole bunch of scientific doodads all built in or something, as opposed to the TIV which kind of just had them strapped on by the scientists if they were around.

Sean never cared for the scientists because they cramped his style and he feels they cost him the shot a lot of times. Now he put a meteorologist as his navigator and hilariously enough, the meteorologist is more aggressive about intercepting than he is, because he is all hung up trying to also direct the second unit cam crew, much like the science team was hung up... uh.. being scientists. So I am looking forward to another season of mostly failure there, unless they start gelling.

Next week's episode looks grim though. :smith:

I love Reed Timmer. He successfully monetized storm chasing and I guarantee all the other chasers out there are very pissed they didn't think of it before him. He's interesting to watch and if you've seen the first season of Stormchasers you'd understand why he is on there. Imagine 10 episodes of ONLY Sean Casey, it was so bad.

Talking about the preview for next week's episode.
I don't know what is up with that guy (dead guy?) they kept on showing. I was under the impression that most of the time if you're dead on TV they blur out your face (they did that on Deadliest Catch at least.) I hope it's just creative editing, but with Joel crying I don't know.

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

Stormchasers was good this week, but man Josh Wurman is a whiny bitch. I'm curious to see what that video entailed, because passing a line of cars when you're legally able too is just fine.

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

Asmodai_00 posted:

You mean like the fact they recycle the same shots for the majority of the episode?

Or the :siren: NEXT ON STORM CHASERS :siren: followed by a :siren: RECAP OF WHAT WE JUST SAW BEFORE THE BREAK :siren:?

What slew me this week was the whole "GET IN THE VEHICLE WE'RE IN THE TORNADO" clip that was in the preview from last week didn't have any extra footage. The entire buildup to that clip was...kinda neat, but when it came to the reveal of the actual clip, they didn't expand on it at all. It was what was showed in the preview, just replayed 3x times for "dramatic effect."

I haven't really noticed that all before this episode, but man it was annoying as gently caress. I'd say a good 1/4 of the show was repeating material we JUST saw. I guess when Reed isn't running around like a jackass screaming or Sean isn't sitting in the back bawling like a little girl they really don't have any good material for a show.

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

I remember reading in this thread (or somewhere) that Brewmasters was really just a 4 episode one off type deal. I loved the show though. The thing I didn't really get is that they spend an hour talking about these awesome sounding beers and I go to the local specialty store and I don't see a single one. I know that they're all holiday beers, but drat I would have loved to tried that eygptian beer.

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

So am I gonna expect to see another slap-in-the-face Mythbusters clip show tonight?

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

i hope you guys didn't miss the new episode of Pitchmen that was on tonight. For some reason it aired from 7pm-8pm and my DVR said it was new.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

muscles like this? posted:

I never really watched the show but wasn't Cody doing stuff that was outright dangerous?

Cody has said before that he absolutely hates heights and if you watched the 4 last episodes he was on they were rapelling with really shady ropes and vines every one. That poo poo added with Joe's high-speed mission oriented bullshit probably burned him out on the show and he got fed up with it.

Cody was a whiny bitch, but it really seems like he tried to keep the show as real as possible and he genuinely enjoyed teaching people watching the show.

Also, Fast and Loud is awesome. I am hoping that since Richard is entertaining and he just wants to make money and have fun the producers don't inject stupid drama. They handled the firing of Tom and Justin amazing. Other shows would spend a season building up to that poo poo.

I Brake For MILFs fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Jun 12, 2014

• Locked thread