Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

SouthLAnd posted:

Hey hey hey. New deadliest catch, anyone watching?

E: God I hate Elliot.

E2: wow, I feel really bad for Captain Scott Jr. That is some rough poo poo.

I concur on both counts, but Jr. going out at all was a really, really dumb decision.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

IRQ posted:

I concur on both counts, but Jr. going out at all was a really, really dumb decision.

That's what that dumb bravado attitude gets you. That's why it doesn't pay to be worried about how other will perceive you. He could have skipped fishing entirely and let the relief skipper handle things and most of this probably would not have happened.

I feel sorta bad for Elliot but I feel worse for his dad, way worse. I figured he must still be partying and getting wasted if Val was still being so angry, and I guess this episode kind of confirms it?

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Supreme Allah posted:

I'm sure nobody is watching it since it's not about catching fish, but this behind-the-scenes of Dual Survival has been real good. The footwear-less hippy Cody keeps losing it in all these un-aired footages, throwing random fits. I never really liked him, hope the new hippy is more tolerable.

I didn't realize Cody was such a douche until I watched that. Army man is insufferable. The new hippy owns everything though.

right to bear karma
Feb 20, 2001

There's a Dr. Fist here to see you.

Supreme Allah posted:

I'm sure nobody is watching it since it's not about catching fish, but this behind-the-scenes of Dual Survival has been real good. The footwear-less hippy Cody keeps losing it in all these un-aired footages, throwing random fits. I never really liked him, hope the new hippy is more tolerable.

I know the show is having to justify why they gave Cody the boot, but the footage made it seem like 90% of what comes out of his mouth is RAAAH gently caress YOU gently caress YOU. He didn't seem to have these issues with Dave Canterbury, though, and I can see how it might be difficult to mesh with Joe "THE MISSION!" Teti.

nictigre03
Oct 31, 2011
I can't stand Joe. Every time he says mission I just want to vomit.

He explained last night how he had to eliminate the "threat" because it was putting him in danger when it was a dying tiny pig that was submerged in water.

The new guy seems pretty cool though. It's a shame he has to work with Joe though.

slartibartfast
Nov 13, 2002
:toot:

nictigre03 posted:

He explained last night how he had to eliminate the "threat" because it was putting him in danger when it was a dying tiny pig that was submerged in water.

FORCE PROTECTION, BRO

Imasalmon
Mar 19, 2003

Meet me in the Hall of Fame

nictigre03 posted:

The new guy seems pretty cool though. It's a shame he has to work with Joe though.

I pretty much agree with all of this. And I don't doubt that the editing of that behind the scenes episode was intended to make Cody look bad. Not saying that he is a nice guy, but I'm suspicious of all editing in reality shows. They're going to tell the story they want, regardless of what actually happens.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006
Since it seems to be the only show ever discussed in this thread, is Deadliest Catch worth watching? My tolerance for reality shows is pretty low, but they've got 8 seasons on Netflix now. I've seen a few random episodes and I thought it was pretty boring but people here seem to dig it.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

Ariza posted:

Since it seems to be the only show ever discussed in this thread, is Deadliest Catch worth watching? My tolerance for reality shows is pretty low, but they've got 8 seasons on Netflix now. I've seen a few random episodes and I thought it was pretty boring but people here seem to dig it.

If you can get invested in the captains and crews then it's a decent watch but if you're just watching it for the "oh my god crab fishing is hard" angle then it gets repetitive really fast. The first season has a really different feel than the rest of the seasons because that was the only one to show the old derby style of crab fishing before they switched to the quota system they have now.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Ariza posted:

It is the only reality show that is actually reality. Obviously it's edited and all, but the personalities are very real and the stuff they show all actually happens with no intervention from the producers, because they're hundreds of miles in the middle of the drat ocean (and possibly being assaulted by the captain for not making coffee). It's an interesting look at a really awful job and the people who do it. You may get invested in them, which those of us still watching certainly have, or not. But anyone who doesn't like Captain Phil is dead inside.

Start from the beginning when it was still a derby, though. The people grow on you after the craziness of those days lures you in.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

It's more documentary than reality, which is why I think it has managed to hold its audience for so long. Watching other shows from the same producer (all made post DC) it is clear that he has been obsessed with catching lightning in a bottle, except for the fact that nothing else is any where near as interesting to make an entire show out of (they make fine specials and docs, but cannot carry a 20+ episode season). So you end up with the ridiculous, over the top fakeness of a lot of these "job" shows that have popped up. Ax Men is practically a damned soap opera. Ice Road Truckers is a show where the premise is that this is a SUPER DANGEROUS JOB GUYS HOLY poo poo but nothing really happens so they just stir up driver drama instead and you get to watch people drive up and down a road for weeks. They ended up making a spin off where they found much more interesting places for the truckers to try to drive in other countries. And that was the premise of that show. BOY HOWDY THESE ROADS ARE WEIRD AND DANGEROUS! If you want to see what Deadliest Catch would be like if it were done like these other shows, watch Lobster Men or whatever the Lobster version of the show is called.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I'm getting around to watching Survivorman Bigfoot that I dvrd a while ago. Les Stroud is a nut. He keeps saying he's a skeptic, but then compares himself to Jane Goodall and says how he's going to find proof.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

FogHelmut posted:

I'm getting around to watching Survivorman Bigfoot that I dvrd a while ago. Les Stroud is a nut. He keeps saying he's a skeptic, but then compares himself to Jane Goodall and says how he's going to find proof.

Going all in on bigfoot is pretty stupid but if he says he's seen and heard spooky crap out there, and thinks it conforms to this myth, then good luck to him. He's certainly spent enough time in wilderness areas to have encountered some weird poo poo. I couldn't make it through that terrible special though.

Johnny Nostrils
Feb 14, 2008

I'm in Canada, so my version of Discovery sometimes airs things way after the US version. That said, I've just seen the first episode of Lords of the Car Hoards, and I found it... interesting enough to give it a shot. It's in no way as good as Fast & Loud, but it's slightly different from the usual formula for Discovery Channel "shop" shows (looking at you, Vegas Rat Rods).

I found it hilarious how their whole premise flops in the first episode. Their primary big-budget custom build is completely overshadowed by a simple paint+wheels restoration that they should have done in the first place. Like they forced the owner to commit to the van when they could have solved all their problems and made a ton of money by building his wife's convertible like he clearly wanted. Probably scripted as all hell, but it was entertaining enough to kill an hour.

Yates
Jan 29, 2010

He was just 17...

Ansiktsburk posted:

I know the show is having to justify why they gave Cody the boot, but the footage made it seem like 90% of what comes out of his mouth is RAAAH gently caress YOU gently caress YOU. He didn't seem to have these issues with Dave Canterbury, though, and I can see how it might be difficult to mesh with Joe "THE MISSION!" Teti.

Cody got pissed because they wanted to turn this into Dual Man vs Wild. Cody and Dave got along because they are both professionals, they both have been doing and teaching this poo poo forever. Joe just wanted to make a celebrity out of himself. And judging by all the appearance and speaking fees he's cashing from various Conservative conventions it's working out for him. More power to him I guess but the show turned to poo poo as soon as he showed up.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Why did they get rid of Dave in the first place again?
I've watched every episode of the show but I can't remember why he left.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I never really watched the show but wasn't Cody doing stuff that was outright dangerous?

right to bear karma
Feb 20, 2001

There's a Dr. Fist here to see you.
Nah, Cody is pretty cautious. When it came out that he was fired for health and safety issues, I really expected to learn that he had refused to do something stupid that the producers wanted one too many times. As opposed to the "Cody laughed at Joe's dumb rear end for poking a snake with a stick and therefore must be losing it" that we got from the behind the scenes episode. Joe, on the other hand, appears to be more than willing to play with rotting cow hides and drink his own urine at the drop of a hat, so he gets to stay.

Dave was fired for embellishing on some of his military background.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

muscles like this? posted:

I never really watched the show but wasn't Cody doing stuff that was outright dangerous?

Not wearing shoes ever can compromise the mission.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Ariza posted:

Yes. Great show and, as others have mentioned, it's about the only documentary left on TLC/NatGeo/Discovery/History at this point that isn't fabricated drama. What worries me is that Discovery seems to be focusing more and more on Elliot's personal drama each week, veering it toward the cliff.

You get attached to certain people. The Hansens and Hillstrands seem like cool guys I'd like to have a beer with. Captain Phil was in that (pardon the pun) boat, too.

ToastyPotato posted:

Watching other shows from the same producer (all made post DC) it is clear that he has been obsessed with catching lightning in a bottle, except for the fact that nothing else is any where near as interesting to make an entire show out of (they make fine specials and docs, but cannot carry a 20+ episode season). So you end up with the ridiculous, over the top fakeness of a lot of these "job" shows that have popped up.

Ice Road Truckers is a show where the premise is that this is a SUPER DANGEROUS JOB GUYS HOLY poo poo but nothing really happens so they just stir up driver drama instead and you get to watch people drive up and down a road for weeks. They ended up making a spin off where they found much more interesting places for the truckers to try to drive in other countries. And that was the premise of that show. BOY HOWDY THESE ROADS ARE WEIRD AND DANGEROUS!

Thom Beers and his voice (The DASH for the CAASH) deserve to be fired into the Sun.

I feel like I remember Ice Road Truckers trying to be like Deadliest Catch in the first season or two and it worked, except for the part where they pissed off the people who manage the Yellowknife ice road because they made the truckers look like cowboys. So then they jumped the shark and rammed that poo poo into the ground with THE DASH FOR THE CASH/Lisa trying to parlay the show into some sort of modeling/acting career and it went to poo poo.

I'd forgotten about IRT: Deadliest Roads. Alex quit in the first 10 minutes.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Jun 4, 2014

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Oh man, deadliest roads was poo poo, and I used to be all about IRT. I'd marathon that poo poo all day.

Siberian Cut is a new show that is on right now. Kind of interesting watching this guy recruit loggers in Montana for a job in frozen Russia.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Where do they dig up these greenhorns they keep sticking on these boats anyway? I swear out of everyone we've seen the only one remotely successful has been Jake.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Luigi Thirty posted:

Where do they dig up these greenhorns they keep sticking on these boats anyway? I swear out of everyone we've seen the only one remotely successful has been Jake.

The ones we prominently see, at least. But the Hillstrands use their extended family as Greenhorns, and you don't hear or see any drama from them, but they were/are on the boat over the years, just in the background.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Sunshine turned out alright. There is also a guy on another boat Time Bandit or Wizard, who looks like an older version of Sunshine who started as a greenhorn on the show, and he's doing ok.

So I guess we finally got confirmation that Elliot still has some serious drug issues, which completely explains his ex's treatment of him. Did he seriously say that he dropped thousands of dollars on cocaine or was that like a joke or something? Heroin, coke and alcohol, but "why won't Val let me see my kids I am doing nothing wrong?!" I think the fact that he has been so unrepentant about it is probably why he has had so many problems, but at least he DID go to the rehab center. Hopefully he stays and gets cleaned up. He seems to generally know what he is doing as a captain, despite being so young, so hopefully he can sort his poo poo out.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

ToastyPotato posted:

Sunshine turned out alright. There is also a guy on another boat Time Bandit or Wizard, who looks like an older version of Sunshine who started as a greenhorn on the show, and he's doing ok.

So I guess we finally got confirmation that Elliot still has some serious drug issues, which completely explains his ex's treatment of him. Did he seriously say that he dropped thousands of dollars on cocaine or was that like a joke or something? Heroin, coke and alcohol, but "why won't Val let me see my kids I am doing nothing wrong?!" I think the fact that he has been so unrepentant about it is probably why he has had so many problems, but at least he DID go to the rehab center. Hopefully he stays and gets cleaned up. He seems to generally know what he is doing as a captain, despite being so young, so hopefully he can sort his poo poo out.

I just do heroin like, a few times a month! And I only spent $10,000 on cocaine that one time! Why do I need to go to rehab!

Campbell
Jun 7, 2000
His dad was a total class act for sticking it out and telling it straight to Elliot when Elliot started getting the fear. I get the feeling that was a skill learned over many times of trying to let Elliot make the right choice and failing over and over again. Nice job Elliot's dad.

PovRayMan
Dec 25, 2002

Never get Freudian on a man holding a pickle.
I thought Scott's father died last season and yet here he is walking around Scott who is in the hospital bed now. Did I miss something or did they film this out of order?!

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

PovRayMan posted:

I thought Scott's father died last season and yet here he is walking around Scott who is in the hospital bed now. Did I miss something or did they film this out of order?!

His dad was ill and in the hospital but he did not die.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Josh Harris is back at it tonight.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
Hard to ever know the truth, but Josh seems to really have it together here. I think it takes great leadership skills to realize you're over your head and willingly step back, especially in a field so saturated with machismo. Guys like Eliot and Jr don't seem to have that, and I'm guessing it's likely the reason they're both so broken now.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

trouser chili posted:

Hard to ever know the truth, but Josh seems to really have it together here. I think it takes great leadership skills to realize you're over your head and willingly step back, especially in a field so saturated with machismo. Guys like Eliot and Jr don't seem to have that, and I'm guessing it's likely the reason they're both so broken now.

I just love all the small interactions from the hillstrand brothers towards Josh, you can really tell they love him like a son and want him to succeed in the business.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

trouser chili posted:

Josh was always the one with his poo poo together and everyone respected Phil.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Saw this on another forum

quote:

i think it's interesting that Mykal Hawke (Man, Woman, Wild) was Teti's C.O. in the Army.

Is there some kind of survival cartel?

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Luigi Thirty posted:

Josh was always the one with his poo poo together and everyone respected Phil.

Apparently Jake is still trying to find rock bottom with his drug addiction. Sad really. We kind of watched the kid fall apart.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

SouthLAnd posted:

Apparently Jake is still trying to find rock bottom with his drug addiction. Sad really. We kind of watched the kid fall apart.

Kid is pulling an Elliot but even worse he didn't even make it long enough in the business to captain a boat or get his own (even though he practically had one handed to him.) As bad as Elliot is, at least he has/had goals and basically accomplished them.

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

:syoon:

muscles like this? posted:

Cody has said before that he absolutely hates heights and if you watched the 4 last episodes he was on they were rapelling with really shady ropes and vines every one. That poo poo added with Joe's high-speed mission oriented bullshit probably burned him out on the show and he got fed up with it.

Cody was a whiny bitch, but it really seems like he tried to keep the show as real as possible and he genuinely enjoyed teaching people watching the show.

Also, Fast and Loud is awesome. I am hoping that since Richard is entertaining and he just wants to make money and have fun the producers don't inject stupid drama. They handled the firing of Tom and Justin amazing. Other shows would spend a season building up to that poo poo.

I Brake For MILFs fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Jun 12, 2014

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

FogHelmut posted:

Saw this on another forum

Is there some kind of survival cartel?

The kind of survivalist stuff that they do on shows probably isn't that big of a community.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Now I know you got hit in the head with a pot and you broke your nose and you have a concussion and you can't stand up without falling over and you're throwing up every 30 seconds but you're a little pussy bitch if you don't go on deck and haul pots.

Luigi Thirty fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Jun 29, 2014

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Luigi Thirty posted:

Now I know you got hit in the head with a pot and you broke your nose and you have a concussion and you can't stand up without falling over and you're throwing up every 30 seconds but you're a little pussy bitch if you don't go on deck and haul pots.

Bill staying out of it is lovely, but as long as he doesn't whine about having a 3 man deck, then whatever. The moment he starts getting antsy over the slow speed he needs to pull the dude aside and tell him to lay off the green horns on a 4 man deck. But if he is willing to let the men stew in their own poo poo by working on a 3 man deck, then it is what it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Elliot's girlfriend is joining the crew of the Saga tonight.

If that's baby mama, I'll have officially reached "disappointment" level with this show joining the ranks of every other bullshit show trying to shoehorn dramatic storylines into an otherwise good show.

e- Ok, they said that was going to happen tonight at the end of The Bait and it didn't.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Jul 2, 2014

• Locked thread