Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
foobar
Jul 6, 2002

I know this thread is primarily about SW, but I've seen a few mentions of police scanners and was wondering if anyone could recommend a good police scanner for a novice. Most of the reviews of the Uniden Bearcats seem to indicate that they're too complicated for a novice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

foobar
Jul 6, 2002

Originally I was interested in HF scanners, but this thread had inspired me to go out and buy the Grundig E5 from my local Radio Shack. I'm still learning, but I've already deduced that I need a better antenna than the whip that came with it. However, most of the antennae I've checked out online have a PL259 connector, and the E5 has an 1/8" jack for the external antenna. I've tried Googling for adapters/converters but sadly, my Google-Fu is lacking. Has anyone seen such an adapter?

foobar
Jul 6, 2002

Brand-new E5 user here, and I have 2 questions:

1. When I use SSB on this radio, is that the same as listening to USB and LSB? If so, how do I know which one I'm listening to?

2. If I string the wire antenna that came with the radio outside my windowframes, how do I ground it?

Thanks for the help! Really enjoying this thread.

foobar
Jul 6, 2002

Cool, thanks for the clarification.

foobar
Jul 6, 2002

AstroZamboni posted:

You will enjoy many sleepless nights, and the days after these sleepless nights you will rue the day this thread came to be. Welcome to the party!

Jesus, can we get a roll call of everyone who bought a radio because they were inspired by this thread? Be sure to post what radio you bought and how much you spent on it. I want to add stats on monetary drain caused by this thread to the OP.

I bought the Grundig G5 (which is essentially the Eton E5) from Radio Shack for $150 specifically as a result of this thread. Now I'm shopping for antennas since I live in an apartment, but I'm having a hard time finding one with the 1/8" jack connector. They all seem to have PL259 or BNC connectors, which I assume are standard on desktop radios.

foobar
Jul 6, 2002

StarkRavingMad posted:

I bet the actual numbers are higher than that too -- but people either don't want to admit they got sucked in, or went and bought something and then never checked back in.

Yeah, I just bought Passport to World Band Radio too.

foobar
Jul 6, 2002

AstroZamboni posted:

Okay, monetary drain stats added to the OP. Frightening, actually. Looking at the numbers I'm stunned that this happened.

Just dropped another $105 for a Sony AN-LP1 antenna off of eBay.

foobar
Jul 6, 2002

I'm happy to report to all apartment-dwelling E5/G5 users that the Sony AN-LP1 antenna is awesome! I'm finally getting some decent reception, and the small footprint (you suction-cup it to a window) is outstanding. Highly recommended. I got mine off of eBay from a seller in Japan.

foobar
Jul 6, 2002

Paperweight posted:

I went and ordered an AN-LP1 off eBay since they are nowhere to be found in America. It was $89 for the antenna and $15 for shipping from Japan. Add $104 to the running total my good man.

Sounds like you bought yours from the same seller I did. You won't be sorry (with the seller or antenna) - I have my AN-LP1 hooked up to a G5 and it rocks! Much better than either the telescoping antenna or the wire antenna it came with. I live in an apartment, about 1/2 mile from power lines, and I can still pull in some great stations.

foobar
Jul 6, 2002

Ol' Tortoiseblossom posted:

Oh you bastards. I got to reading back through this thread and something a couple people said caught my eye and then I started reading some reviews and...

Well, you can add $104 to the running total in the OP, since I went and ordered a Sony AN-LP1 antenna off eBay. Probably the same guy everyone else is buying them from. He only has 3 left!

Welcome to the AN-LP1 club. That guy has got to be wondering what the hell is going on with all these people suddenly wanting to buy the same antenna!

foobar
Jul 6, 2002

Hope this post isn't inappropriate but I figured this was the best place for it.

I was inspired by this thread to buy a Grundig G5 and Sony AN-LP1 active antenna. Since purchasing this, I have used it a total of 3 times. I just didn't catch the bug. If anyone is interested, I'll let the G5 go for $75 and the AN-LP1 for $50. I'm not positive that those are acceptable prices (I just did a Google search for the G5 and the cheapest I saw it was $129, and I couldn't find a price on the antenna at all and I don't remember what I paid for it). If anyone's interested, PM me for more info.

foobar
Jul 6, 2002

Capnbigboobies posted:

Maybe you can troll ebay for a KA1102/DE1102 or KA1103/DE1103. I got my KA1102 for like 40 dollars. Does SSB, antenna port and everything. A quick ebay search shows the DE1102/3 for about 65 dollars. I don't know how good they are compared to the nice Eton radio's like the E5 but my Kaito seems ok for the money. Passport gave it a decent review.

Maybe some people upgrading to a G3 would be willing to sell their G5 to you?

I was inspired by this thread to buy a Grundig G5 and Sony AN-LP1 active antenna. Since purchasing this, I have used it a total of 3 times. I just didn't catch the bug. If anyone is interested, I'll let the G5 go for $75 and the AN-LP1 for $50. I'm not positive that those are acceptable prices (I just did a Google search for the G5 and the cheapest I saw it was $129, and I couldn't find a price on the antenna at all and I don't remember what I paid for it). If anyone's interested, PM me for more info.

foobar
Jul 6, 2002

Nostratic posted:

Goddamn, a recent thunderstorm fried my G5 :cry: I guess I'll have to buy something new.

I'll sell you my G5 for $50. I've only used it about half a dozen times, I bought it thanks to this thread and just never got into it. PM if you're interested.

foobar
Jul 6, 2002

Accursed posted:

Down in Antarctica for a month, and had to do survival training in case I get stuck out while I'm out sampling in the field. Got to use a nice HF radio to get South Pole Station to copy and reply, and had to set up a nice dipole antenna to do it. Awesome!

Hey, how did the ANLP antenna end up working for you?

foobar
Jul 6, 2002

Apologies if this has been answered already, but does anyone know of a quality iPhone/iPod Touch app for listening to shortwave transmissions? Specifically, I'd like to listen to the shuttle transmission simulcasts.

foobar
Jul 6, 2002

Radio Nowhere posted:

Try FStream, it's free and just add the following URL:

http://www.nasa.gov/178952main_Mission_Audio_UP.asx

If you want soft music to fill the silent gaps between communications try this:

http://somafm.com/wma128/missioncontrol.asx

:slick:

Thanks for the heads up, but am I doing something wrong? I added the URL but it just sits there in "Buffering". I triple-checked and I know I entered the URL correctly, have you seen this problem before?

EDIT: Nevermind, I already have PocketTunes and I didn't realize I could pop the URL into it. That one's working like a charm. Thanks again for the URL!

foobar fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Feb 13, 2010

foobar
Jul 6, 2002

BigHustle posted:

Los Angeles Amateur Repeaters 147.435 (KE6RRI, former W6NUT) and 146.235 (Inland Empire, also former W6NUT users) are usually good for bitch fights.

The Chicago Police feed is always hopping too, and they have one dispatcher who sounds like she's the cutest thing on the planet.

I've been listening to "Amateur Radio Repeater 147.705 Hz and W6NUT" using the Scanner911 app on the iPhone and I can confirm that there are generally bitch fights nightly, mostly centered around one guy who consistently gets loaded and then hops on the air.

foobar
Jul 6, 2002

Radio Nowhere posted:

Try FStream, it's free and just add the following URL:

http://www.nasa.gov/178952main_Mission_Audio_UP.asx

If you want soft music to fill the silent gaps between communications try this:

http://somafm.com/wma128/missioncontrol.asx

:slick:

Does anyone know if this URL will work for the Discovery mission launching in a few hours?

foobar
Jul 6, 2002

Les Oeufs posted:

Anyways I was wondering about antennas. There was a time when I flirted with buying a sony AN LP1 but it looks like its discontinued. Is there a good cheap antenna out there? I've still never heard a north korean broadcast and I feel like I didnt give this hobby a go if I never do.

I don't have much info about current antennas but I had an AN-LP1 (which I sold to another goon in this very thread) and it was AWESOME - I highly recommend seeing if you can get your hands on a used one.

foobar
Jul 6, 2002

I fly a lot for work and I'm obsessed with listening to air traffic control on my LiveATC app. I had some free time this morning, so I followed the instructions in this article, and using a Ubuntu VM and this dongle, I got everything working! I'm now decoding aircraft transponder transmissions in real time. Well, almost everthing from the article is working - the Google Earth overlay doesn't see to work right. I can see a TON of messages received by the dongle but only one visible aircraft ever shows up in Google Earth. Either way this is totally cool and a lot of fun for $22.

I'm an extreme newbie, so pardon my ignorance - I figured this was an appropriate thread for this kind of stuff (since it's kind of SDR) . . . what are some other cool uses for that dongle (it's built on the Realtek RTL2832U chipset)?

foobar
Jul 6, 2002

Can anyone recommend entry-level equipment for software-defined radio (SDR)? It seems like a cool idea and some basic Googlging didn't really provide me with a good jumping-off point. Plus I respect and trust recommendations from this thread.

foobar
Jul 6, 2002

manero posted:

^^ exactly this. The ham-it-up upconverter is $50, and NooElec is having a sale on aluminum cases as well. I've been enjoying playing around with mine :v:

In related news, I'm giving a talk/demo next week on SDR's, and I need to come up with an antenna for receiving HF inside a building.

It doesn't have to be anything fancy, I'll probably just string up a random-length wire, but I'm struggling on the connection part of it...

The upconverter has an SMA connector on it, and I have a bunch of various adapter pigtails. Maybe just a short length of RG-58/U, with the center soldered to the random wire? I just need something that will let me pull in the 20m ham bands, preferably. Doesn't have to be fancy.

I'd be interested in checking out any docs (presentations, etc) you put together for your talk - any chance you'll post them here?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

foobar
Jul 6, 2002

I've had great success with Goo Gone from the dollar store

• Locked thread