Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

Nomadic Scholar posted:

I doubt I'll catch up before the next one is scanned. I just finished the Guardians of Desire chapters. Reading has been slow going tbh.
When I first read it, I had to force myself to stop each day. Just pick a target time or chapter count and don't look ahead. You'll have the joy of suspense and thinking about possibilities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
It's gonna be really fun when they walk in to see the Elf King and it's the Skull Knight. I just have to wonder what he will want in exchange. Now I wonder who Skull Knight referenced from history, "It might not be what she wants".

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
There were a few panels where I thought Guts was almost looking like young Guts circa Black Swordsman or end-of-Golden-Age.

Is there supposed to be a time dilation thing on this island? Does that make the young witches 100 years old, and the retirees 1k-2k? Any chance that more than just the king were around with Gaiseric?

Also, "Skellig". I wonder if that name has any significance (beyond the random real-world reference).

Need to reread 345 now that the Evil Genius is up. :]

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

Ccs posted:

I will still watch the anime until the end, every friday. It will hurt each time, but I will do it.
We have some new Berserk readers, so book13 spoilers... :angel:

Griffith gave in and accepted the easy way out. Corkus gave up and accepted the titties. Pippin fought until he was chomped in half. Judeau protected the Hawks until he was a pincushion. Guts did rend his arm away. But Ccs, only Ccs places his eyes in front of the anime each week.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
It's kinda interesting, with all the other excitements demonstrated, during the Eclipse no one is shown to commit suicide. I would think there would have been at least one of the ~50 that did. Is that a black-barred, cultural no-no in Japan?

Oh yeah, one more thought. In the most recent chapter, the World Tree gets lots of coverage. If the World Tree is connected to the lower astral planes, doesn't that strongly suggest that the Moon Child is not the Elf King? MC=Griffith makes sense if the tree permits 'warping' (the child is seen standing on a branch of the tree after the episode on the shore), but there's no way Zodd could get there in the same timeframe. MC=CascaGutsChild makes sense if, during the rebirth, the child was also reborn, perhaps in a spirit sense so that the child can make use of the tree to travel between the planes. MC=ElfKing now seems to only make sense to me if the Elf King has significant powers that permits using the tree far beyond the powers that Flora and the others are shown to possess. Moreover, Shierke provides an allegory about children getting lost along the dragon path, which seems an allusion to CascaGutsChild being able to use that path during the rebirth.

Other than the demonization of the child by Griffith, and potential rebirth intertwining, it seems likely that the child is still a separate entity. While they reference the merging of the astral planes, it's not like apostles and Godhand are just popping up in random locations as they please. It seems like the tree and the moon (the exact opposite of the pre-rebirth child appearances) are important enough to separate the child from Griffith, who has yet to demonstrate any magical affinity for the tree, beyond rooting it near Falconia to keep the demons away... or all in the same place.

PhantomOfTheCopier fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Jul 27, 2016

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

DamnGlitch posted:

Honestly it may have been the western taboo given the setting of the manga, but I'm guessing he did't have anyone he felt like portraying that way.
Guts will be the first, after repaired-Casca leaves him.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
Start scraping Abebooks, bn, Amazon (note my us-centric info). Buy them piecemeal when the price is right.

I was fortunate that most were running around $15, except for a few that were backordered for a couple weeks. I had a system going where I knew approximately how long free/cheap shipping would take, so I ordered them ahead and forced myself to slow down my reading pace.

Only trouble is the two-page spreads. As someone has pointed out, some of them really need to be on A1 or A0, rolled, and shipped in a tube. As long as they're not Griffith hair spreads :aaaaa:

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
They've read Berserk, so they're just building the suspense and regularity with mediocrity, then Bam! they're going to hit you with the Eclipse and it will be photorealistic and the music and sound will be world class and you will want to scream at the horror.

Oh. Past the Eclipse. Farnese night of miracles. Oh, past that. Erm, well when Guts is in the troll cave.

No? Well how is Griffith's hair doing?

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
Ugh more game chat. Well I guess we are talking about Berserk, which is better than not talking about Berserk.

The only game format that properly illuminates the story uses cards and twenty-three sided dice. I know this and I've never played one of Those Games in my life.

How many more chapters before we're back to Griffith saturation? I'm hoping the remainder of the year, unless more people start bitch slapping him.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
To be fair, didn't they have the entire orgy cavern doped out of their minds? Nina knew what she was doing outside of that, but at that point she probably didn't much care if he was screaming between her legs or off a cliff; anything would have made her smile.

In any case, Nina/Luca are basically the chapter bridge for Farnese. Nina is Farnese the whiny little brat that smiles when people burn, flawed to the core, nothing but a bag of hot air. Luca represents what Farnese can become, centered and stable, somehow externally flawed but fundamentally solid at the core. Nina becomes Jill, Luca becomes Farnese.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
:psyduck:

Is that really the sound they used, a hammer striking a piece of sheet metal, for spanking? They couldn't even slap some whiner from the finance department and record it?

I admit that Luca looks a bit pissed in that, but Nina's expression is the one worn by a ditz who drops a box of cereal at the grocery store.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

Relin posted:

but why would they add a character so unimportant to the plot as a playable character? :smug:
Perhaps because Wyald is important. :clint:

He's the second indication that an apostle can die, the first that an apostle can die without intervention of the Godhand, and a demonstration of Zodd's power and his general attitude of not giving a gently caress.

Wyald is also a big donkey Kong stuffed animal abominable Wyald jump snowman thing, and completely devoid of anything so sappy as a political motivation. Who wouldn't want to lead the devil dogs in a game? I mean really.

What's Serpico doing in the game? Gotta explain to the help why Farnese is so whacko, then go help her tie her shoes and put out fires?

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
The company said they'd provide doll motion and were hired. Sadly the meeting was not followed by a written contract, so no one realized that they had said dull motion.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Looks fun!

We're getting one on September 23.
This place is clearly too much fun for Guts. The elf king will help Casca enter the dream world with a pound of weed and a pound of mushrooms. There also seems to be some excessive bestially going on in this forest.

This is certainly one of those chapters that would benefit from some serious joke dialogue bubbles.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

Zeruel posted:

Do you mean beastiality or something bestial is happening.
I hope it's the former latter.
I meant the former. Look at all the centaurs and so many things without names that are crosses between men and horses and moles and everything.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

bman in 2288 posted:

Chopping up Apostles has got to be less exhausting than this to him, mentally.
Be careful what you wish, for indeed nothing prevents the flower king from being an apostle. :ohdear:

OnimaruXLR posted:

He's been getting more and more strung out looking ever since the Berserker armor entered the picture

Curious to see if he keeps at it or finds another way to fight. I imagine he will keep using it, giving the title of the comic
Guts went berserk long before that armor appeared, and there's always room for upgrades and replacements in a story like this. Whereas the armor provides support for cannon-assisted moves, he may have to take it off and wield something lighter to be fast enough to take down Griffith.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

DeadBonesBrook posted:

Nah this is Miura, he's probably gonna make Casca get her mind back by drinking the Elf Queen's piss
Now now, if the Elf King is arguably not gender dichotomous, then there's no reason to believe that elves even do icky things like this. At worst the Flower King's waste would be to exhale a huge amount of oxygen. :buddy:

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
How long will the current gravy train last? I know we have been getting a good deal of light-heartedness at times, but Berserk drama has to come back. Casca rejuvenation could be awful because innerspace psychobabble might not be one of Miura's skills.

Then again, if they're unable to heal Casca or she dies in the attempt, Guts might be so pissed that he's able to get the berserker armor to fold space and drop him and his sword on Griffith's front door in only a chapter or two.

:allears:

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Manga to anime adaptations in general suck rear end. Berserk moreso than usual, but they all suck in their own way.
:words:
Very detailed explanations, ideas, concepts, and opinions there. The very first thought that entered my mind: This is why it is necessary for a screenplay to be an appropriate adaptation of the written material.

Movies and series permit sufficient opportunity to provide balanced pacing, between action and drama. The Berserk anime, for example, does a very good job of pacing the story-telling, presumably so the viewer has time to think. Movies provide one thing that often has to be bypassed in manga, however: Deep character development. After all, who wants to see 25 panels of the same face with all the necessary speech bubbles, thought bubbles, etc.? Drawing all those dream sequences gets tiring. Yeah, might as well just write up a little appendix for the chapter and call it good. For a movie, you spend another hour with the actor recording voice overs or stretching what is effectively a still shot by another second or two, and no one notices; do that a dozen times and you've gained your minute of "reflection time".

I would have to guess that "Best Screenplay" doesn't mean "100% true to book", primarily because most movies have expanded or invented dialogue, chomped things that would be redundant in a 3hr or 24x45min format, chosen to focus on various action sequences, and so forth. This is all part of the awards, and part of the reason that some movies are good, others are just exercises by a director or producer, and others are just bad.

Perhaps you did not directly state that "slow and nuanced is impossible outside of manga", but it was slightly implied. There are plenty of movies and film adaptations to demonstrate that slow can be better: 2001, Apocalypse Now, Brokeback Mountain, Citizen Kane, Dune, Full Metal Jacket, The Good The Bad The Ugly. There's probably some non-short list of anime that surpasses the manga.

</ramble>

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

Pelican Dunderhead posted:

Where the hell is berserk's best character Rickert the technomancer.
Appearing in the upcoming Idolmaster release. You have to backhand various characters in the room until you find Griffith.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

Begemot posted:

There is a pope who met with Griffith and made him the proper king of Midland or whatever.
Griffith has not been crowned, nor yet wed to Charlotte. The Pope specifically states that he will be alive to see them married, and the Midlanders are following Griffith because he had Charlotte and she retains inherited power.

As far as I recall (will fetch references later perhaps).

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

bman in 2288 posted:

Basically, yeah. But they follow Griffith because he's their Messiah, not just because he rescued Charlotte.
This doesn't really happen until later. The divided generals of Midland are still standing around after Vrittanis complaining about following some "upstart leader" that basically just rescued the field, but they still only see him as the commander of the Hawks. Even the statement from the Pope is insufficient to sway them, and they decide that they're going to divide up the lands and do what they want... that is until Griffith produces Charlotte.

Later they are all standing around scared witless as Griffith leads them all toward the Kushan demons and only then are the apostles unleashed in their true forms. Everyone goes along because... telekinesis girl tells them to and then goes charging into the field. Hell, what would even be the point in fleeing at that point? If your side loses, you're getting run down by demons. If you join in, you can be a part of Midland when it recovers, which is what you've wanted all along.

Instead they get a guy who flies on a huge beast, that suddenly produces a golden city. Crops grow like weeds, whiskey rains down from heaven, everyone has a job, and there "are no monsters" (because they're all friendly and helpful and helped win the battle). Now the boring commander that Charlotte told you to follow has his kingdom; gently caress Midland; all hail Falconia.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

LostRook posted:

I'd like to see them work Corkus' signature move: "Passive-aggressively Hating Guts"
Haha, the only way to get Corkus to fight: Get shown up by a junior.

He wants to flee Doldrey until he sees Rickert outclassing him. :razz:

The best line has to be, "I finally figured out what I hate about you, it's that damned face that doesn't move".

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

Crabtree posted:

Also, really dumb story question incoming: Who do you think will reveal to be more like Guts between giving Skull Knight or Zodd a backstory? Because I always thought it'd be interesting if Zodd was a reverse Guts if he became an Apostle to get stronger or to be on level with/surpass Gaiseric. And when Void sacrifices the emperor's empire for a world of his faith, Zodd shows up during the eclipse and the 1000 year struggle begins.
"People have been telling war stories about him for close to a hundred years". Given that some of the other legends related by the characters claim to stretch back one thousand years, this would seem to suggest that Zodd is either a standard apostle or a result of the most recent eclipse. On the other hand, Zodd seems to know about the eclipse and what happens therein, and says to SK, "You did come. You, who've been our foe for a millenium", so Zodd may predate Void (indeed, everyone).

So here's a crazy idea. Gaiseric builds his kingdom but it becomes a place of "feasting and pleasure". Zodd is one of Gaiseric's warriors (perhaps Griffith-Guts like) but is detached from all of those "rewards" of the battles (he's on record as later claiming to not care about the feasting at the eclipse).

The "wise man" is some wizard who calls upon the four main spirits to destroy Gaiseric's kingom, driving Gaiseric to use the behelit to "counterattack" (for indeed he would have been in great despair over the loss of his kingdom). Gaiseric becomes Void, he sacrifices all of the people of the kingdom, but his generals and friends (and Zodd) become apostles --- if it's the first Eclipse, there need not be any existing hungry apostles, and it would make sense that his gluttonous group would become them. Zodd sees the whole thing as silly and basically walks out, or is sent out to hunt down the wise man.

Meanwhile the wise man escapes (using existing magic skills) but starts to craft or fashion various armor to protect himself from the apostles that are now in the world. The Berserker armor gives him the power (that he otherwise lacks) to defeat them, but he's imprisoned both by his own drives and still effectively stuck within the cell that Gaiseric created. The armor consumes him and the wise man becomes Skull Knight.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

Awesome Welles posted:

Hmmm, noticed something during the opening...
Am I supposed to be seeing that Casca has evolved from being a ghost? Or is there something else incredibly arcane in here like the shadow on Guts' face not matching his hairline.

I don't have the opportunity these days to be drunk enough to watch this show. Maybe some year.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
"Humanizing"? "Softer"? I think you have the wrong manga.

You think this is gonna end with fluffy flowers and tea? poo poo's about to hit the fan.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
The softest ending I see here is Griffith feeling rejected by the humans and just going back to Escher land, but the bridging of the planes seems to make that unlikely, and Griffith tends to bring everything down in flames when he doesn't get his whiny way.

If Guts' most recent monologue is any indication, then Griffith has to soar higher, ever higher... until Icarus, and his dream will die with him. Though it was a slightly weak delivery, it may be that Guts just recently understood Griffith's drive, as Guts is now very intent on finding help for Casca; the difference seems to be that Guts is willing to wait a little bit, so perhaps he better understands why Griffith was hell bent on ascending so quickly, with complete disregard for those around him.

Griffith may be on approach to killing the Idea (this has been previously suggested), but maybe he will do it when he finally decides to sacrifice himself for once instead of sacrificing things that he feels are his by fate ("You are mine" to Guts, etc.). If his ascendency is "flawed" because Casca and Guts are still alive but branded, the only path to removing the brand might be to have Griffith remove it or the entire system. Griffith may seem them out in order to purify his position, but may realize he is still too connected to them and not willing to sacrifice them after all, in which case the Godhand may force him into a position where he has to sacrifice his dream and himself.

/ramble

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
I don't think the Hawks were ever truly anything other than staircases that he was walking up. They were all tools, as far as he was concerned. "I like this sword best" or "This knife is really good for throwing" was basically the way he saw all of them, apparently until Guts showed up (as Casca tells it, the first time Griffith ever said he wanted someone). Later we find that Guts and Casca "are essential to the Hawks".

At the Eclipse, what then does he truly sacrifice? Oh sure, take my armory and my sword collection, and the horses too, because this will be better. The only remaining items were actually kinda like people, and he ended up having to deal with Guts and Casca by himself... and he chose to mock them. So then, which sacrifice really mattered? The Hawks? Or his friend, Guts?

I also thought of Gennon. Griffith had his little moment of weakness after that boy died on the battlefield. I think that was more Griffith using himself than anything. He would just have well sent some other member of the Hawk to do the job, but he was the one most equipped to do it. It's not as if Griffith doesn't ride into the battles; Gennon was just another pebble to step over, and it fell to Griffith to do it.

Guts, by contrast, is the struggler. After having his Black Swordsman depression and making sure the lost children were never found :buddy: he's basically done everything to rescue and protect Casca.

Guts has had a lot more sacrifice in his life (and it's kinda killing him). riffith was fated. What did he do other than just "Ho hum sure do it, I didn't need that anyway I guess"?

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
Someone needs to send him a big box of erasers, and meanwhile decouple the karap anime from the manga. I mean really, a POS anime speculated to result in a publishing block?

Who are the people that are buying these bridges?

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
Here's a silly question --- I think I just skipped a groove or something --- but why is Guts spending so much time on Casca? I mean, would this be safely categorized as "unhealthy holding onto the past"?

As someone else quantified, Casca hasn't been herself since book 13. In thinking through this, I got to the point of remembering that Guts was living for himself in Lost Children, and it wasn't really until Casca wandered off from the cave that Guts "realized too late that he lost something without having realized it". Then he drags Casca around because he's the only one that can protect her. Is it just The Branded sticking together? It wasn't until they got to Flora that it was revealed that maybe she could be healed, right?

Sorry, I just got up this morning and had a big disconnect. What is the motivation here for Guts to get Casca healed after all these intervening events?

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
:can: Sorry for asking such a derpy question, but some of you hit on the notions I was having. Will post a bit more on how I got to the point of questioning... later, when I'm not on a bus.

What if Casca can't be healed because flower king demands some payment? Guts gets pissed and kills them all. Griffith shows up and says Thanks. Puck uses the Behelit to stop Guts from killing his brothers/sister. :razz:

I need to read the most recent chapter before giving Casca some serious thought time.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
Considering the excessive amounts of spoiler tags on this page... I say the last page isn't the problem, it's the lengthy explanation by the king on page eleven:

look deep into the incident and find its resolution... The rules that govern (dreams) spring from the conceptions of the dreamer herself

Why does Casca fear Guts so much? No, it's not that his beast tried to rip her apart; she recoils in the cave long before that. If Guts is a representation of the "before", then we may have to go all the way back to the beginning. The noble looked at her as an object, but she chose to defend herself and she chose to follow Griffith. She basically exchanged one form of servitude (harlotry) for another (hero worship). What if the correction needed is to realize that she was the one that should have left Griffith, and that she should have taken the chance to leave with Guts when he asked? What if this childlike state is resolved only by her being again saved from the rapist (Griffith) by a larger character (Guts)? When Guts offers the choice (do what you want, follow me if you want), will she take it this time?

Very concerned about their survival in those dreams based on that latter statement by the king. Notice how conveniently the two users of magic are now trapped together in the same place, in the King's passage of dreams. :ohdear:

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
Let's not be role playing Farnese and her father for the next four to six months. We have only each other on our hiatus, so we should at least try for a civil debate.

But if you're not going to try and just plan to behave like children, well then... Adult Attack!

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
Despite all the metaphors, there is still some responsibility born by the Hawks. Of course, this depends entirely on some base moral philosophy, but without one there's no argument that the Hawks were misused in the Eclipse.

Proceeding then, are the minions irresponsible when following the general's orders? Quite the contrary in a golden age, where the king is infallible and everyone else is necessarily guilty. Griffith's position is quite clear here though: He tells the Queen there are no innocents in war. He asks Guts if he's evil for doing all these things without getting his hands dirty. He is completely detached from Charlotte, except perhaps for some small moment of grief, but otherwise he is entirely using everyone as a simple object.

He offers rewards to the Hawks? Does that truly describe placing their backs to a river at Doldery? Does Corkus consider himself anything anymore, or truly have any aspirations? He storms off from Guts after pointing out that everything they have is... Griffith's, from Griffith, a result of Griffith. Griffith didn't reward them by permitting them the opportunity to become nobles; they were made nobles as part of Griffith's train.

Is it possible that Griffith only ever told Guts "I will be king"? Sure, but the Hawks were Griffith's nonetheless. Griffith fell and the Hawks fell. Griffith still had his mind, Casca kept the Hawks hearts barely beating. All were shocked during the start of the Eclipse, but look back at the moment the decision was actually made. If Griffith had to sacrifice his body, why not the whole team? Why not Casca if Griffith was with Gennon?

Guts rightly noted, I was just a small pebble in the path, you'll pick yourself back up and keep going. The Eclipse was another pebble; Griffith didn't trip.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
If the IOE is just exercising the will of humanity, then people wanted the Hawks to get munched. Military contracts and job descriptions have nothing to do with it; it's pure, utilitarian, instantaneous voting at its finest... if the IOE is effective.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
Inducing Berserk rage 2016: Defend Griffith, Wyald, or the hiatus.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
Does Wyald get to tear people limb from limb with his bare hands, and get to use his transformed... ahem... tool because it would certainly be fitting for the character.

Berserk game, next addition will be Luca or Roderick. :razz:

Edit: It seems there are lots of exciting :tizzy:-inducing choices. "Berserk: Nina's Revenge", "Now with Puck Spark!", and so forth.

PhantomOfTheCopier fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Sep 29, 2016

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
His heart is certainly unclouded... by feathers and frills and whippoorwills and flowing hair, at least in that picture. His most vulnerable spot...?

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
So was this whole thing a long troll for a Blu-ray release? Just how many customers did that decision lose them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
Oh poo poo now I have to watch this poo poo to analyze how bad the music timing choices actually are... and I basically am the worst auditory learner/communicator. On the other hand, I seem to be well tuned to the areas of Berserk that are very psychological, depressive, revelatory, and subversive, so I can probably at least identify mismatched noise.