Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Save the whales posted:

I'm really sad that I can't get my roommate, who watches more anime than I do, to watch the Berserk anime. He says it looks too old-fashioned.

Nice OP by the way. It's good to see people treat Berserk with the respect that it deserves.

'old fashion' looks better than cheap cg nearly 1 million percent of the time. This is science.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Revelant posted:

Berserk is like a fine whiskey that only get delivered twice a year. When you get it you marvel at it , taking you time to sip and let it last. You feel a little bit sad when you finish this bottle, but you know the next one is gonna be just as good.
Then you go take it to the back room where you have all the previous bottles placed... left there so you can look at them again.

:goonsay:

Man, both ippo and berserk are 20? That's nuts. At least berserk just slowed down, and didn't take a nice long roll in the poo poo like ippo has been doing.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Zorak posted:

Breasts don't count, nor do pubic regions or vague impressions/ implications of certain genitalia.

There has never been a full on uncensored vagina or penis, no.

Which is probably a good thing. Who need two page spreads of that?

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Christ what's wrong with you people :psyduck:

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Diabetic posted:

Also Guts is not a complete pussy protagonist. :colbert:

Luckily the new movies seem to be taking a note from the manga and giving shinji a progressively larger backbone :D

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

OnimaruXLR posted:

Did we ever get any confirmation what those drat pictures were from anyway? They seem to be running on some kind of projection, which is more than I would expect from your typical "LOL HAY GAIZ HERE'S WUT IT WUD LOOK LIEK" poo poo, but to the fact that we haven't heard anything...doesn't bode well.

It was from a game or something I think.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Infinitum posted:

Fairy Island is now the new One Piece's Fisherman Island.

We're never going to get there :qq:

This is another case of "simpsons did it"

"When are they gonna get to the fireworks factory" :qq:

(oh christ I didn't mean to be the first one to bump this thread in 2 weeks :gonk:)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

DoublePLayer posted:

vvvv I heard it was slow, but I only looked up how often does Young Animal come out and went 'Every two weeks isn't that slow, come on' :downs:

Sometimes it drops to two releases a year. Think about it, you read the whole TWENTY YEARS of berserk in 3 days.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Demicol posted:

Series of movies.

Oh lovely, if it follows the usual Berserk schedule it'll take even longer to get out than the Eva movies.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Tormented posted:

I like the only two pictures of Caska is of her crying. :O

I noticed that too. A strong female character? Better downplay that til the release.

Would you consider Caska a strong female character, actually? I'm not sure if I would. She's set up like that, but then she's there exclusively to execute Griffith's will, then is in love with Guts, or something, and then gets raped literally retarded. I'm actually kind of uncomfortable with the idea that rape may or may not play a part in her characterization. I really dunno what to think :psyduck:

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

OnimaruXLR posted:

So, putting aside all this rape and misogyny, I'm kind of at a loss as to the contents of the first movie. I think that an adaption of the Golden Age arc up through the 100 man battle and Guts and Caska's reconciliation would have made a good place to start, but we've already seen footage of stuff beyond that. Was that stuff just shown out of context to drum up hype, or was it shown because it's going to be in the first movie?

Man, this was a lot easier with Ultimate Hellsings's one volume=one "episode" approach.

I would assume that a chunk or all of golden age will be the first movie. They will make zero earth dollars if they start after. The Berserk TV was very poorly received, right? So we have to assume that the movie watching public (who are the people they want to court, not people who they know will see it anyway IE the fans)would be completely put off by starting in the middle. It would be a big misstep, I think.

That said, it would be awesome if the first movie also ended on the eclipse and the movie bombed and no more were made, so that both animated adaptations have bad end.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

OnimaruXLR posted:

A teaser trailer

About as long as those commercials that advertised the new manga volume

Not sure about all that CG, but eh

Looks loving awesome.

Bad CG is just a reality of new anime movies though. I dunno. The rest of it makes up for it completely. After the new eva movies, which are loving gorgeous and have loving awful cg people like berserk, it's just something you gotta accept I suppose.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Andrigaar posted:

The amount of money saved trumps the awkwardness.

Well apparently.

I don't like it but I can live with it. Like I said it's just a reality.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Hatter106 posted:

Is this where the "LAST EPISODE OF BERSERK WTF :psyduck: " comes from?

I read the manga first and even though I had the Eclipse spoiled for me, I could still see it coming a mile away. I've never sat through more than a couple of episodes of the anime, it was just so poor compared to the source.

I can imagine the Eclipse coming outta nowhere probably blew the minds of a few 14-year-old anime fans back in the day.

Everyone spoils it. Not what happens just that it's a terrible ending. So I was like "welp I guess that's pretty bad as bad endings go, but at least it leaves it open for a sequel"

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

GreenBuckanneer posted:

That's not even the same thing, it's the wrong arm, not artistic license.

It is still dumb and spergy.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

temple posted:

The kid appears outside of a full moon. He is only corporal in the full moon, because the full moon makes super magic. I don't like the magic stuff in Beserk because it reminds of all other fantasy manga/anime and it pisses me off. I get why the moon matters to the beserk world but its overused and just annoying to hear about in this manga.

I must admit I was away more engaged with the golden age arc because magic was so loving scarce, and sort of more special because of it, but i think it's more a problem I have with golden age feeling very well defined and the rest sort of running together in my head

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Yeah, berserk has been out at a VERY good pace (historically speaking).

The movies will certainly catch up to the current content... assuming each release does well. As soon as one tanks it's over.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

EDIT: NM, wow there were a lot more posts than I thought.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

The cg looks bad. It just can't pull off the style. I'd have rather by far it was animated traditionally.

That said it'll still be a spectacle worth watching. It'll just be unwatchable in a few years.

Unfortunately I feel the same way about big chunks of the rebuild movies as well. The cg people walking around look so so SO bad that I can't believe they thought the could use it for more than story boarding. The ONLY time these shambling, souless piece of crap haven't looked awful was in Highschool of the Dead, and that's because they were portraying zombies

The melding of styles to make it look passable is interesting, but it's like... clearly traditional animation would look better.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Given Rebuild's "1 movie a year" claim was disproved about 5 years ago, I am highly dubious all three berserk movies will come out in one year.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

I suppose they have all the source material they need, but still. The japanese have burned me too many times on movie release dates!

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

I can assure you yen.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

If some lovely one piece movie made a billion dollars every movie ever made would be a lovely one piece movie.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

The beginning of the movie looked awful and I was afraid the whole thing would be this horror show of grotesquely poor cg but they eased up and it ended up being pretty enjoyable and much less distracting.

Way way too short, goddamn.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

If they removed the CG the movie would be 10 minutes long.

You realize the movie is primarily Cg because it's vastly less expensive than hand animation, right?

Commie's subs were great, a few typos but more than reasonable for a speed sub. For a movie that literally has a TV series and a comic that are better and basically anyone who is watching this movie has seen and committed to memory, the typos on a first out sub did not bother me.

I enjoyed it on the whole, looking forward to the rest, found myself laughing when I watched an ep of detroit metal city and saw some CG that looked better.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Sakurazuka posted:

Yeah, the next one is out at the cinema in a couple of months I think, so at least they're being released in a pretty timely manner. Unlike the loving Evangelion movies. :argh:

The delay for eva is not animation it's writing. They are making it up and doing drastic changes as they go along. And the cg in Eva is as bad as berserks. Looks at the people walking scenes before the school in 2.0. They look like zombies.

The bad cg is BAD in berserk. But tere is enough good combos that it makes up for it, while still being vastly worse than what hand animation would accomplish.

If they could manage to get out all the movies but take five times as long for the same price with hand animation is take it, but it's VASTLY cheaper, and unfortunately you can tell too often.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Do we have actual figures and responses to those figure from the first movie? Because if they are bad we aren't gonna go anywhere, cheap production or not. Each movie is going to bring in diminishing returns.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Yeah, aside from the fanwanky slowed down 'look how cool thiiiis is!" scenes, I vastly preferred the anime series take. Especially when it comes to side characters and development.

The problem is you can make really cool CG stuff, like with FMVs or say Advent Children, but that's a stylization. The problem with this is the CG itself is a style, but it's trying (and failing, mostly) to ape another. It's like not even uncanny valley. It's like uncanny uncanny valley. Like when you see those down syndrome looking girls in the Kanon adaptations. :downs:

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Yeah, I guess the idea is to get people excited but it feels SOOOO much more like an accompaniment than something that can stand on it's own I'm not sure the audience is there. It certainly wasn't for the series, at the time. I hope it does well overseas but I have a very strong feeling that we will only get the promised three, which is silly since, as stated, there's a pretty good anime version already, and the manga itself.

But yeah, there's no way that it was going to start after GA, at least not as movies. It would be totally incomprehensible.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

He could just flat out not give a gently caress, though.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

I hope it ends the same way the Series did.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

It's a very good video.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

It is a bad movie adaptation beep boop

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

WickedIcon posted:

the first movie at the very least holds up pretty well on its own.

Ehhhhh I don't know about all that. Nothing that happens in that movie has any build up or makes much sense. It's a bunch of scenes that either look really good or look like a dog just pinched them out, then it ends.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Ccs posted:

It's weird, there are all these articles out there saying the second movie is better than the first (like this one: http://kotaku.com/5922239/the-second-berserk-movie-is-better-than-the-first) but from the looks of it that is definitely not true.

Backgrounds still look really pretty though. I'll give them that.

I think the split is between whether it is a good adaptation (no) or a more coherent stand alone thing (probably not).

FiftySeven posted:

In defense of the films, the second one in particular, They are trying to adapt a part of the story that could take up way more than 3 films. The changes to the story that they have made are not so huge that they make it incoherent and jarring. It's like anything else. To please the fans, it would have to be 1:1 like the original source, which would make it very difficult to get into for new fans.

This isn't a defense, this is an excuse for it being bad, which doesn't stop it from being bad. The reasoning behind making it bad isn't the issue; The issue is that it is bad (it is not good).

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Cake Attack posted:

Not really. I think he mentioned talked about one of the games like once, and it became a meme like thing. Considering the sheer quality of the sporadic chapters, he's hardly just lounging about between putting out the occasional chapter.

Yeah he mentioned the series and it became a joke with 2ch originally, I believe.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Gaseous Snake posted:

That's really good news. The CG was really the only thing keeping me from watching these movies.

I might have to check out the third one just to see how much it's actually improved. The first one was garbage.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

It probably has to do with working on the same piece of fiction for 20 years. That's some serious poo poo. It wouldn't be so bad if there was more of a clear direction than the really not terribly compelling 'lets get to elf island!" (never get to elf island) thing.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Also it's at least partially implied that he was raped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Dr Subterfuge posted:

I'm curious now. Do the movies do this better? All I know about them is from some of the posts in this thread.

It actually much much worse than the anime at that.

The third movie is pretty dope, and I hated the first two, but they do a real poo poo job at translating the story or the characters, or even making sensible stand alone products.