Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gwynne
Oct 24, 2004
I'm a gnome
edit

Gwynne fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Apr 22, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwynne
Oct 24, 2004
I'm a gnome

Guerilla Medic posted:

Wait, what. Why does Caska see Farneze going all astral?

I dont think she is. My guess is that she see's something else, maybe the island they are heading to or something. If you look at the last page, they are above and behind Guts and Caska is below and infront of him looking away from him.

Gwynne
Oct 24, 2004
I'm a gnome
I really like the other characters in Guts party. Serpico is my favorite and Schierke is my second favorite. Right now Farneze and Caska are pretty useless but Farneze is learning new tricks and Caska hanging around getting in trouble usually sends Guts on a rampage. So it all works out. I just wonder what will happen with Caska. I forget who warned Guts, but I think it foreshadows that Caska wont be the same :( ever again

edit: i am bad with names

Gwynne fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Jul 2, 2007

Gwynne
Oct 24, 2004
I'm a gnome

Teek posted:

And when she finally gets the chance to get some sweet, sweet revenge againt Griffith, it will be great.

This would be more awesome then anything I could hope for but I dont think it will happen :(

Gwynne fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Apr 22, 2016

Gwynne
Oct 24, 2004
I'm a gnome

noface posted:

Anyone know the best way to go about purchasing the manga in the U.S.? I had bought the first four or so volumes when they were released a few years back, but it was a huge pain in the rear end finding them in person (half the stores would keep their copies "in the back"). Have their been any compilations released, or is there a decent place to buy what's out for a good price?

Borders sells them but I would check out e-bay and save a few bucks.

Gwynne fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Apr 22, 2016

Gwynne
Oct 24, 2004
I'm a gnome

Hatter106 posted:

I wonder if it was always Miura's plan to re-incarnate Griffith? It seems kinda odd that he'd build up to the first Eclipse for 12 volumes then undo it a few years later. It was a good choice, as Griffith is much more interesting doing things on the ground rather than floating around the netherverse as Femto. But is he just Femto pretending to be Griffith? Or did his personality get reincarnated as well?
Also we don't know if he's kept his mystical powers. His powers of persuasion are pumped up, but that's all we've seen.

Think he'll revert back to winged-demon form for the final duel against Guts?

It really has not been fully explained. I think Femto(is that the right spelling?) and Griffith are the same person, but they are both existing at the same time. Femto is hanging around with the rest of those gods and Griffith is like a reincarnation of his old self. Two different people, same mind? Maybe that makes no sense at all... so I am probably wrong :(

I can see guts taking care of Griffith and then go after Femto. We know enough about the Skull Knight to put his story loosely together and Guts seems to be doing the same thing he went through. Maybe they will both take on the gods together in a final epic battle :aaaaa:

Edit: \/ \/ \/ \/ yea nevermind I went backed and looked at it. They are the same person. \/ \/ \/ \/

Gwynne fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Jul 5, 2007

Gwynne
Oct 24, 2004
I'm a gnome

abbad0n posted:

Can't believe how good today has been. And now it gets even better:

Evil Genius Chapter 288

I thought I was tricked when I opened the raw and all the files were labeled as chapter 287. Thankfully, someone just messed up :)

Gwynne
Oct 24, 2004
I'm a gnome
[url="http://frostedorange.com/gwynne/randomshit/[Evil_Genius]Berserk_v33c288.rar"]chapter 288[/url]

Gwynne
Oct 24, 2004
I'm a gnome

Twitch posted:

Agreed. There's always the chance that Guts will not be healed, but rather he will become more hosed up and deformed as time goes on.

Like the skull knight? what ever the hell he is... guy being kept alive by his own berserker armor?

If he gets fixed up now, he will just get messed up again later, whats the point? :gonk:

Gwynne fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Apr 22, 2016

Gwynne
Oct 24, 2004
I'm a gnome

Jimmybob posted:

The preview for 296 is out. The emperor looks pissed. This should be a fun battle, but it'll probably take Miura another year to draw it all.

The first thing that popped into my head was "WOW, I wonder how long this will take?" and then I could not stop thinking about WACKY WAVING INFLATABLE ARMED TUBE MEN!

Gwynne
Oct 24, 2004
I'm a gnome

Zackarotto posted:

Simply put, the people who still see the good in Griffith, after knowing what he's done, are the people who would be first to join his army and worship him if they were born on Berserk's world.

I think Miura's selling the antichrist-charisma thing a bit too well.

Thats why its going to be even sweeter when Guts shows up and takes a poo poo on everyones world.

The only way this will end well is when Guts chops him in half

Gwynne
Oct 24, 2004
I'm a gnome
This chapter was such a tease. I want more :argh:

Gwynne
Oct 24, 2004
I'm a gnome
Do the dark horse volumes really do Berserk justice? They just seem so small and I am spoiled with high res scans.

Gwynne
Oct 24, 2004
I'm a gnome
Im in the boat of people who think while everyone else accepts fate, Guts is the only one that truly does not believe in it. He pretty much just says :fuckoff: to the whole idea of fate and does his own thing.

With all the parallels between Guts and the Skull Knight, this is the one thing that sets them apart. The way I see it, the Skull Knight seems to have accepted fate and has given up his humanity so he could continue to forever fight the Godhand Viod. Zodd mentioned Guts' fate(for the second time) after he first put on the berserk armor. I hope Guts can prove Zodd wrong twice by accomplishing his goal with out following the same path that the Skull Knight has.

v Thanks

Gwynne fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Jun 23, 2009

Gwynne
Oct 24, 2004
I'm a gnome
Miura is one lucky bastard. I want one of those bookmarks!

Gwynne
Oct 24, 2004
I'm a gnome

Tapela posted:

So did anyone hear about the screens going around of a possible new Berserk animation? I'm not sure what it is but I've uploaded some of the stills I saw in other forums. I've been a berserk fan for quite a few years, probably since the original anime. This has taken me to all kinds of fansites from skullknight to places like shadow over midland. As you can imagine I'm extremely excited to see these pictures

rest below..

https://wi.somethingawful.com/fd/fdc97d0c2b4c1643a9501cfded7962dbc2816ed3.jpg
https://wi.somethingawful.com/96/96f61a278675e91f30b0fbe92ba410591ae37e15.jpg
https://wi.somethingawful.com/e4/e4ca52ca91dc915b17efb242bd1e779f4db952c5.jpg

I hope its not just an animated intro for a new game or something. This would be amazing.

Gwynne
Oct 24, 2004
I'm a gnome

Hellbunny posted:

Wh, oh why are there no links? Specificly to the newest chapter(s)?

... http://www.evil-genius.us/

Gwynne
Oct 24, 2004
I'm a gnome
I bought a new copy of the 20th Anniversary Berserk issue of Young Animal with all its extras. I found it on ebay and the price seemed reasonable, but he lives in Japan so the shipping was a killer. I'm still waiting for it to arrive however the guy seems to have more. He put this up after I payed for mine, but the price went up.

Thought I would share in case anyone here was interested.

Gwynne
Oct 24, 2004
I'm a gnome

Schubalts posted:

I think a complete do over like FMA: Brotherhood would be best.

Berserk deserves it. Picking up where the last series left off trying to patch up its failures would leave me, and I think the rest of us, wanting more. If they are going to do it all, it should be done right.

Gwynne
Oct 24, 2004
I'm a gnome

nondeviant posted:

The pro-whore faction, anyway.

I always thought the point of our protagonist gathering such a retinue was to increase the angst factor when they invariably get torn asunder from being drawn into the events revolving around the big movers and shakers of the story. A lot of people in this series have arguably had a much longer lifespan than they have any right to.

Who in the group do you feel has lived longer than they should have?

Also word on the internets is that on January 22nd we will be getting new Berserk.

Gwynne
Oct 24, 2004
I'm a gnome

Hemish posted:

Does anyone knows how long it takes him to create one chapter? Does he have assistants and everything? I'm just wondering how many hours of work could be squeezed out for his 3 chapters than many months on break schedule. Are those months taken to create the next batch?

I remember reading somewhere that he does have a couple of assistants that help from time to time, but the amount of work they do is relatively small. The guy is a hermit, like someone said earlier, who does nothing except eat, sleep, and draw.

The letter that SkullKnight.net received was really interesting to me.

quote:

Q8: Could you describe an average day in your studio? How many hours each day do you work?

I start working at 2:00 PM and I finish at 7:00 AM. Of course, the time I spend eating is included. I work 15-16 hours everyday, without holidays.

I tend to believe that he is constantly working on Berserk. I haven't seen anything about how long he spends on each, but I would imagine the length of time varies from episode to episode.

Gwynne
Oct 24, 2004
I'm a gnome
Puck is awesome. Anyone who says otherwise is in denial.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Gwynne fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Oct 3, 2010

Gwynne
Oct 24, 2004
I'm a gnome

Koalas March posted:

I do wonder why he he's only able to manifest (or whatever) when the moon is full. I know the moon is supposed to have crazy supernatural powers in just about any culture, but I'd like an official reason that links his appearances, instead of "The moon is magic!". Especially in light of the creepy demon fetus that shows up whenever it pleases.

I see two possible reasons why he has only shown up during a full moon since Femto used his body to be reincarnated as Griffith. One being that "magical powers peak with the full moon", which you and Schierke have already said. The second possible reason could be because Casca gave birth to the demon child in volume 14 during a full moon. The moon is seen in at the end of volume 13 after Guts breaks down and runs out into the night. However this could all be coincidence since the demon child has been seen when the moon has not been full, like in volume 1, or maybe at that time Miura didn't really know where he was going with him at that point. I don't really know what phase the moon has been in every time we have seen the demon child. Next time I read through the manga it will definitely be something I look for, but either way, the fact that a full moon increases the power of magic and that he was born on the night of a full moon is reason enough I think.

What really has me interested is Schierke's comment about how she sensed no hostility from the Moonlight Boy. I really want to know if Griffith, Femto, and the Moonlight Boy can only exist in the world one at a time like it was suggested with Zodds presence the last time he showed up. And if so how come Guts and Cascas brands are not effected by him? Or can they be in multiple places at once? I hope more insight is given next episode. Fusing with Guts child seems to be Griffith's only weakness, I wonder if Guts would try to take advantage of it if he found out.

I hope that makes sense. I had a really hard time putting that into words since one character is really three different characters. Two being the same person and one being a different person. :suicide:

Gwynne
Oct 24, 2004
I'm a gnome

L.E. Cheetah posted:

My idea is that the kid who shows up at the full moon is their child's spirit, while Griffith is currently inhabiting the kid's body. Might even be the traditional body/mind/soul division. Griffith watches Guts battle Zodd on the Hill of Swords to make sure that he doesn't still love him, and as the battle goes on Griffith finds himself being moved. He theorizes that its due to the body he's using, so maybe the mind is in there too. The soul gets displaced, doomed to wander the earth, only able to take the form of an androgynous boy-child on the full moon.

I'm confused by your post. It is a complex topic but maybe you could clear it up.

So you think that when Griffith fused with Guts' child he just took the physical flesh and kicked out its "soul"? Griffiths response to Guts while fighting Zodd was because he fused with the body/mind not the soul?

If I understood your post correctly... Is there anything in the manga that supports the body/mind/soul view of people? And if the childs soul is separate from Griffith, wandering the earth only able to take on a physical form during a full moon, why was Zodd seen in volume 28 when Casca was found with the boy?

Gwynne
Oct 24, 2004
I'm a gnome

codeorange posted:

The movie attempts to cover like 50 chapters in a few hours, so important plot points and character development get stretched so thin that they're barely existent. It's more a compilation of highlights from the manga then a faithful adaption. It's a shame really, because you'd think that an awesome movie is exactly what would be needed to draw in new, more skeptical viewers to the franchise. But instead we get something that's made only for the fans. gently caress :effort:, because everyone has already read the manga, right?

Berserk deserves better then this garbage. :(

Ghost of Babyhead posted:

So I know that new chapters won't be appearing until after summer, but where are the release dates of new chapters announced? Does the magazine serialising them give out a list of series featured in upcoming issues?

It is usually announced in Young Animal the issue before.

Gwynne
Oct 24, 2004
I'm a gnome

papasyhotcakes posted:

I just finished reading the whole series from the beginning (took me three days of nonstop reading, only series that took me that long before was One Piece) and I just wish I had discovered later, its going to be agony now to wait for the next chapters.

Read it again! :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwynne
Oct 24, 2004
I'm a gnome

Roland Jones posted:

Just read all of this series over yesterday and today. Apart from there being way too much rape and attempted rape it was fantastic. Definitely going to be following this now.

...Whenever more comes, that is.

Also, I agree that Luca is awesome, and hope she appears again in a not-horribly-murdered capacity.

How do you read 37 volumes of Berserk in two days?! :stare: Lets just say, you missed some things.